Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Sagebrush posted:

Yeah this is my feeling as well. I know that "run what ya brung" is a big part of the Nurburgring's thing but allowing bikes and cars on the same track -- let alone a serious racer on an S1000 alongside a bunch of tourists in lovely little VWs and stuff -- seems monumentally stupid.

Closed environment and all, and obviously the guy can handle his bike; but him working some of those packs did have me puckering a bit.

My local bike shop making me want to buy something that is too pretty:

CovfefeCatCafe fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jun 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Sagebrush posted:

Yeah this is my feeling as well. I know that "run what ya brung" is a big part of the Nurburgring's thing but allowing bikes and cars on the same track -- let alone a serious racer on an S1000 alongside a bunch of tourists in lovely little VWs and stuff -- seems monumentally stupid.

When you're in that kind of environment and carrying that kind of speed.... it's on you to not gently caress up, and by that I include what happened here.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

BlackMK4 posted:

When you're in that kind of environment and carrying that kind of speed.... it's on you to not gently caress up, and by that I include what happened here.

IME, Germans are more into personal responsibility as well. It is on "you" to handle yourself and if you cannot then you reap the rewards for being an idiot. Which is why karting places in Germany have full bars and DGAF if you drink before racing but here in America I have to watch an instructional video about how I need to contact staff if im aware of any other racers having consumed drugs or alcohol in the prior 24 hours to the race.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Lyndon Poskitt is riding his Dakar rally bike in Erzberg. Here's the prologue.
https://youtu.be/pXOobp4TeuY

Live at 5:30 AM eastern tomorrow morning.
https://www.redbull.tv/live/AP-1QVQDZUF91W11/red-bull-hare-scramble

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
It is quite weird how some people go on and on about "nanny states" in the context of welfare and healthcare, when the US seems to be a country that is built around the principle of "it's always someone elses fault".

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

YF19pilot posted:

My local bike shop making me want to buy something that is too pretty:

That turquoise is gorgeous! :swoon:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Nidhg00670000 posted:

It is quite weird how some people go on and on about "nanny states" in the context of welfare and healthcare, when the US seems to be a country that is built around the principle of "it's always someone elses fault".

I agree. Americans are pussies.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Chichevache posted:

We really are

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Chichevache posted:

I don't know much on the subject but don't they take a hell of a pounding?

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

cursedshitbox posted:

:golfclap:

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

cursedshitbox posted:

I was slightly disappointed to find out Betty White didn't really come up with that joke

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Nidhg00670000 posted:

I think it's mostly because of lawsuits. If you can blame someone else you can sue them so businesses take extreme measures to protect themselves from lawsuits, which shows itself as treating everyone like a baby.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!
It's definitely lawsuits. Loser pays and juries not being composed of idiots would fix a lot of it.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Heck yeah, going for a ride today.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-xrKE9rClg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXyVp7iw10Q

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Collateral Damage posted:

I think it's mostly because of lawsuits. If you can blame someone else you can sue them so businesses take extreme measures to protect themselves from lawsuits, which shows itself as treating everyone like a baby.

Other countries have lawsuits too, don't they? ...Or do they make it more prohibitively difficult to file something than the US does?

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Slide Hammer posted:

Other countries have lawsuits too, don't they? ...Or do they make it more prohibitively difficult to file something than the US does?

In many countries the loser pays the winners legal expenses. But not in the US.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
It's mostly that the element of common sense that people are supposed to have apparently doesn't protect you from lawsuits, and therefor you have to treat everyone as if they are 4 years old in the US.

The US section of my hairdryer manual contains helpful advise such as "don't try to use it as a dip heater for water" and the same for the toaster tells me it's "not to be used for defrosting meat".

These things would never cross my mind, and if they did, I'd only have my own dumb rear end to blame and would be laughed out of court if I tried litigating about it.

builds character posted:

In many countries the loser pays the winners legal expenses. But not in the US.

And also that.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Slide Hammer posted:

In addition to what others have said, at least in Sweden the claimant doesn't get to decide the damage to sue for, that's up to the court to decide if and when the case is settled. And at best you can hope to recover legal costs, any actual costs incurred (like medical bills, loss of income, loss of property, etc) and a minor amount for inconveniences.

So there's no point in frivolous lawsuits like "I want a gazillion dollars because I burned myself on your hot coffee and the cup didn't warn me the content was hot!" because at best you'd get compensated for a bottle of aloe vera and a new cup of coffee.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Collateral Damage posted:

In addition to what others have said, at least in Sweden the claimant doesn't get to decide the damage to sue for, that's up to the court to decide if and when the case is settled. And at best you can hope to recover legal costs, any actual costs incurred (like medical bills, loss of income, loss of property, etc) and a minor amount for inconveniences.

So there's no point in frivolous lawsuits like "I want a gazillion dollars because I burned myself on your hot coffee and the cup didn't warn me the content was hot!" because at best you'd get compensated for a bottle of aloe vera and a new cup of coffee.

wasn't that coffee so hot it fused the woman's labias together

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

EX250 Type R posted:

wasn't that coffee so hot it fused the woman's labias together

No. The coffee was boiling hot and she was wearing sweatpants that absorbed the coffee and held it against the skin of her thighs and groin. She got severely scalded and had to have skin grafts. All the stuff about "fused her labia together" is some hyperbolic nonsense people make up to be gross.

Furthermore, she initially only asked for $20,000 to cover her medical expenses and lost income; McDonald's offered her $800. She took it to court, and her lawyer suggested $225,000, which McDonald's also refused; then the jury (not the lawyers from either side, the judge, or the plaintiff herself) suggested she get $2.7 million. This is because juries are composed entirely of idiots who get excited about the idea of a lawsuit setting them up for life.

In a more reasonable country, the suit might not even have happened because you wouldn't pay anything for the medical treatment and your job would provide you with paid medical leave.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I've always thought that was an urban legend. Either way my point is that we have vastly less punitive damages here and punitive damages aren't given to the claimant, so you can't make a fortune out of suing companies.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Sagebrush posted:

No. The coffee was boiling hot and she was wearing sweatpants that absorbed the coffee and held it against the skin of her thighs and groin. She got severely scalded and had to have skin grafts. All the stuff about "fused her labia together" is some hyperbolic nonsense people make up to be gross.

Furthermore, she initially only asked for $20,000 to cover her medical expenses and lost income; McDonald's offered her $800. She took it to court, and her lawyer suggested $225,000, which McDonald's also refused; then the jury (not the lawyers from either side, the judge, or the plaintiff herself) suggested she get $2.7 million. This is because juries are composed entirely of idiots who get excited about the idea of a lawsuit setting them up for life.

In a more reasonable country, the suit might not even have happened because you wouldn't pay anything for the medical treatment and your job would provide you with paid medical leave.

The $2.7 million comes from a rough napkin calculation of how much McDonald's made in a single day of selling coffee at the time. At the start of the lawsuit, the jury were actually in favor of McD's, but McD's experts and lawyers treated the details of hot coffee incidents very coldly, and they were also beating up a grandma, basically. So, the jury were basically "Yeah, this lady is mostly responsible for the incident, but you do serve coffee that's way too hot and frankly you act rather inhuman towards these hot coffee incidents (which were a statistically small amount compared to coffee served), maybe you should do something about that."

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

YF19pilot posted:

The $2.7 million comes from a rough napkin calculation of how much McDonald's made in a single day of selling coffee at the time. At the start of the lawsuit, the jury were actually in favor of McD's, but McD's experts and lawyers treated the details of hot coffee incidents very coldly, and they were also beating up a grandma, basically. So, the jury were basically "Yeah, this lady is mostly responsible for the incident, but you do serve coffee that's way too hot and frankly you act rather inhuman towards these hot coffee incidents (which were a statistically small amount compared to coffee served), maybe you should do something about that."

ultimately Liebeck was only awarded $640,000. Liebeck was hospitalized for eight days while she underwent skin grafting, followed by two years of medical treatment.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
There's a documentary called Hot Coffee about tort reform that talks about the case.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

This is the real driving force behind the US culture of suing over everything that moves, IMO. When I was a kid my best friend hit me in the head with a shovel (accidentally) and I needed stitches and an overnight hospital stay for observation. Total cost to my parents was zero. I've no idea how much that would have cost had we been in the States but I'm very, very confident that they wouldn't have been able to afford it (and neither could my mate's parents either).

e: If it comes to it I was a pretty accident-prone kid and my parents would also at various points had to have sued several other of my friends, the makers of a slide in Greenwich Park, and possibly the force of gravity, to recover the costs for the multiple blows to the head that made me the man I am today.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

goddamnedtwisto posted:

This is the real driving force behind the US culture of suing over everything that moves, IMO. When I was a kid my best friend hit me in the head with a shovel (accidentally) and I needed stitches and an overnight hospital stay for observation. Total cost to my parents was zero. I've no idea how much that would have cost had we been in the States but I'm very, very confident that they wouldn't have been able to afford it (and neither could my mate's parents either).

e: If it comes to it I was a pretty accident-prone kid and my parents would also at various points had to have sued several other of my friends, the makers of a slide in Greenwich Park, and possibly the force of gravity, to recover the costs for the multiple blows to the head that made me the man I am today.

Sir, this is a McDonald's drive through.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

lol just cause it's 38C out...

at least he has some fine legs..... for now.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
A customer just bought mesh pants and rode off in his cargo shorts. :psyduck:

E: wrong thread but it goes with the above photo.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

cursedshitbox posted:

lol just cause it's 38C out...

at least he has some fine legs..... for now.

around here they wear tanks + flip flops, with the helmet locked to the side of the bike

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
One time I rode my 2009 ZX6R in 120*+ weather with jeans on and got stuck in ASU traffic. It blistered my thighs from the tank heat.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Yup couple summers ago I rode to Sun City snd back to Tempe in jeans. My thighs we're painfully red. I'm really happy my Vstrom has a pad/wrap around the tank.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

its all nice on rice posted:

A customer just bought mesh pants and rode off in his cargo shorts. :psyduck:

E: wrong thread but it goes with the above photo.

I finally wore my mesh pants in 100+ and it is the best feeling ever.

BlackMK4 posted:

got stuck in traffic

I don't understand :confused:

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I'm being recruited for a job back home in tennessee and the lack of lanesharing laws is one of the main cons I'm listing for moving back. The plus is that I would get paid more than I do in LA, and no income tax. But yeah it's Tennessee

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
Split anyways? Until a lifted truck gets mad and tries to remove you from this earth.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I've often pondered what I'd do in a country without lane splitting. I suspect if a bro truck is able to endanger your life while you're splitting, you're simply going too slowly. I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of times I've seen someone in a car actually aware of my coming up on them while splitting. Just don't give them any time to react, let alone take actions to murder you.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

A MIRACLE posted:

I'm being recruited for a job back home in tennessee and the lack of lanesharing laws is one of the main cons I'm listing for moving back. The plus is that I would get paid more than I do in LA, and no income tax. But yeah it's Tennessee

Does the pay difference cover the cost of your moving violations?

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Having lived a few years in Georgia I wouldn't try splitting too many places in the south except maybe Atlanta or Miami. Too many good ole' boy cops and rednecks packing heat. Not to mention people just not expecting you to be splitting and not checking mirrors.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Yeah I live in Tennessee and am terrified of lane splitting. Of course, I was also terrified when I visited California and everyone was doing it

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

It's like second nature to me now. It's almost defensive, like I use other cars as a shield against traffic, if that makes sense. And I'm always like, "aggressively" picking the most defensive lane position

Jazzzzz posted:

Having lived a few years in Georgia I wouldn't try splitting too many places in the south except maybe Atlanta or Miami. Too many good ole' boy cops and rednecks packing heat. Not to mention people just not expecting you to be splitting and not checking mirrors.

There probably isn't anywhere near the amount of traffic to warrant splitting. But I can't imagine not filtering to the front of stoplights, like my brain struggles to comprehend it lol

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jun 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

A MIRACLE posted:

It's like second nature to me now. It's almost defensive, like I use other cars as a shield against traffic, if that makes sense. And I'm always like, "aggressively" picking the most defensive lane position

Yes. Exactly this.