Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cranachan
Jun 29, 2023

Angry Lobster posted:

It's a freaking acid trip lmao

God, it seems like a trend. Returning briefly to Ben Counter, I remember his Grey Knights series did something similar to the Ultramarines omnibus. The first two books there were straight-forward Grey Knight-themed affairs, where I remember a couple of fun setpieces and not much else. Book three, however, also has its protagonist whisked off to a daemon world for an acid trippy time of it. No chaos trains, alas, but gladiator games galore. Petty, bickering Knornate demons and warlords. A chap overseeing it all whose got the body of a black dragon, and has the serendipitous name of Ebondrake.

Maybe there was something in the water in Black Library then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Cranachan posted:

God, it seems like a trend. Returning briefly to Ben Counter, I remember his Grey Knights series did something similar to the Ultramarines omnibus. The first two books there were straight-forward Grey Knight-themed affairs, where I remember a couple of fun setpieces and not much else. Book three, however, also has its protagonist whisked off to a daemon world for an acid trippy time of it. No chaos trains, alas, but gladiator games galore. Petty, bickering Knornate demons and warlords. A chap overseeing it all whose got the body of a black dragon, and has the serendipitous name of Ebondrake.

Maybe there was something in the water in Black Library then.

In the omnibus, Ben Counter specifically states that he decided to make the third explicitly "Strip Alric of everything I can and see how he gets out of the situation".

I think there was explicit attempts to not do "standard space marine" stories.

Cranachan
Jun 29, 2023

Calax posted:

In the omnibus, Ben Counter specifically states that he decided to make the third explicitly "Strip Alric of everything I can and see how he gets out of the situation".

I think there was explicit attempts to not do "standard space marine" stories.

Fair play to him, then. Definitely went off the beaten track, as far as space marine stories go, and it's the one that's left the biggest impression, however-many years it's been since reading. Plonking a space marine down far from their chapter and usual support network and seeing how they muddle through's a fun format.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

Cranachan posted:

Fair play to him, then. Definitely went off the beaten track, as far as space marine stories go, and it's the one that's left the biggest impression, however-many years it's been since reading. Plonking a space marine down far from their chapter and usual support network and seeing how they muddle through's a fun format.

The one where he solved the daemon forge world problem by convincing the abominable intelligence that it was in fact a person, and therefore susceptible to daemonic possession and being obliterated by his Grey Knight powers was definitely interesting.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

One of the reasons I'm a McNeill fan is because he nearly always does some weird poo poo, and weird and bad is always more interesting than mundane and bad. The characters are very extra (the guys on Molech in Vengeful Spirit, for example, are just wild), and the melodrama lends the stories a quality that sucks me in even when I recognize that poo poo is mid.

In contrast, the truly bad BL writers just write a whole book about someone having a regular sort of battle in some industrial park and everyone's just Johnus CXVII or whatever (thinking about one of the Heresy Dark Angels or Raven Guard books, it was loving dire.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

The one where the raven guard go to terra to get geneseed or clones or whatever? That might be the worst warhammer book I've read to date.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

Fallen Angels, I think from looking through the titles, but the one you're talking about was pretty loving dire too.

Crab Battle
Jan 16, 2010

Haha! Yeah!

Black Griffon posted:

Fallen Angels, I think from looking through the titles, but the one you're talking about was pretty loving dire too.

Yeah, that's the one where the Dark Angels fight through a forge world to stop Horus getting some siege tanks then handing them over to Perturabo lol
Nothing egregious, but also nothing to recommend it other than that last scene.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/CGTester/status/1745096785306026187?t=gU7JWGK5_3H7OtOLfcir9g&s=19

Who let an Ork write a steam review? Also Orks can write.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

NihilCredo posted:

I'm like 2/3rds through the Fall of Cadia and there's something I don't get about the broader course of events.

It's been a little while, but I believe the Cadia book you want to read is Cadia Stands. It works right into the mainline The Gathering Storm and the return of Guilliman. But, it's been a while. I remember thinking it was pretty okay and recommend it when people want to get caught up on the timeline along with the Watchers of the Throne series.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Any word on TEatD 3? I am ready

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

euphronius posted:

Any word on TEatD 3? I am ready

On preorder this Saturday and releasing two weeks later

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I don’t understand “preordering” but that is good news thank you

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Phenotype posted:

How come I can get the first Cain omnibus for $15 and then the second one is like $250? Is this some sort of drugs thing?

Okay, so I'm a little ways into my very first Warhammer book now. I dunno what the heck came over me really, I've always been a little war-curious but never played the game or read any of the fiction. Picked up Eisenhorn and the first Cain omnibus from Amazon for like $15 each, since I saw them talked about highly and they were at a reasonable price. I'm a hundred or so pages into Eisenhorn now and I'm kinda digging it, always wanted to know more about this insane universe.

What are my options if I want more books? Those two were basically the only ones Amazon had for less than $200, like what the hell?? I'm guessing most of the 40k books are out-of-print and not being republished? I really, really prefer to read physical books over digital media, I've been resisting getting a Kindle for ages now. But man, I could get two Kindles for that price lol.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Phenotype posted:

Okay, so I'm a little ways into my very first Warhammer book now. I dunno what the heck came over me really, I've always been a little war-curious but never played the game or read any of the fiction. Picked up Eisenhorn and the first Cain omnibus from Amazon for like $15 each, since I saw them talked about highly and they were at a reasonable price. I'm a hundred or so pages into Eisenhorn now and I'm kinda digging it, always wanted to know more about this insane universe.

What are my options if I want more books? Those two were basically the only ones Amazon had for less than $200, like what the hell?? I'm guessing most of the 40k books are out-of-print and not being republished? I really, really prefer to read physical books over digital media, I've been resisting getting a Kindle for ages now. But man, I could get two Kindles for that price lol.

GW is unfortunately really bad at keeping their books in print. If you don't mind ebooks, they're readily available but if you're looking for physical copies then you'll probably need to go second hand. I really wish GW would do reprints more often, they do occasionally but I'm sure they could afford to keep more stock and reprint more often.

I've mostly been reading them on my phone because of that tbh.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

The other is Audible has a LOT of the books available.

Things learned today: Aaron Dempskii-Bowden's Editor was Nick Kyme.

Started reading the Night Lords Omnibus.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Just finished Prospero Burns and while I largely enjoyed it aside from some wet leopard growls I was a little confused about one aspect of the ending

when Caspar is being confronted by the Daemon that has been manipulating him his entire life it seemed so clear to me that the Daemon in question was The Changeling, it was telegraphed so insanely hard, the long form Tzeentch-style manipulation, the connection the Thousand Sons have to Tzeentch already, the multiple impersonation, the mask within a mask and the talk about the TS coming over to "my side" but then when the Daemon reveals it's true form it's some loving no name Great Unclean One. What gives?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

AnEdgelord posted:

Just finished Prospero Burns and while I largely enjoyed it aside from some wet leopard growls I was a little confused about one aspect of the ending

when Caspar is being confronted by the Daemon that has been manipulating him his entire life it seemed so clear to me that the Daemon in question was The Changeling, it was telegraphed so insanely hard, the long form Tzeentch-style manipulation, the connection the Thousand Sons have to Tzeentch already, the multiple impersonation, the mask within a mask and the talk about the TS coming over to "my side" but then when the Daemon reveals it's true form it's some loving no name Great Unclean One. What gives?

Chaos being Chaos.

An older video from Wolf Lord Rho when Perturabo confronts Angron,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQ87mNaI6Ak

IRON WITHIN, IRON WITHOUT :black101:

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Phenotype posted:

You can usually find the paperbacks for cheaper(ish) secondhand but almost every hardback is going to be $60 or higher because they only print one run and not a very large one

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

AnEdgelord posted:

Turns out Tzeench is actually Nurgle, the ultimate long con.

Now that I think on it, I can't recall Abnett ever using an existing named daemon in any of his books.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

AnEdgelord posted:

It’s not a great unclean one. It’s a “daemon.” Daemons don’t have one set form, especially Tzeentch daemons, especially the most powerful ones. In 30k, daemons have even less specific form than they do in 40K, which is why the 30k daemons list doesn’t have “plaguebearers” or “bloodthirsters” as options, just “basic daemon” and “bigger daemon” “daemon warlord” etc.

It’s absolutely a Tzeentch daemon, and it just takes a horrible daemonic form at the end because it’s trying to terrify people.

E: if you read Know No Fear and other Abnett books set in 30k you’ll see a lot of daemons taking weirdass medieval-zoology-book shapes. They don’t look familiar in 30k, they look weird as hell.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I like how the daemons on 30k are less set in stone

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
We're probably gunna get the scouring but I would love for unification wars to be the next big thing. I guess the new dawn of fire stuff might be it too, but boo.

0konner
Nov 17, 2016

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
I’d appreciate the variety in 30k demons more if less than half were Samus.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

0konner posted:

I’d appreciate the variety in 30k demons more if less than half were Samus.

Samus. Samus is the only daemon you'll read about. Samus is the only daemon you'll post about. Samus is the poster you just emptyquoted. Look out! Samus is here!

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Samus is, after all, the end and the death.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

As any metroid about this, they will confirm.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

CottonWolf posted:

Samus is, after all, the end and the death.

EndDeath 3 is just 'Samus samus Samus Samus SAMUS' for 500 pages

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I would say that the worst case scenario is that we have two weeks of Samusposting before TEaTD3 comes out and gives us something else to talk about, but those two weeks span an eternity Samus will shitpost on your bones

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Samus is like Starscream in that he shows up does his big monologue then gets invariably owned after like ten seconds by the protagonist. The daemon equivalent of a wrestling jobber

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Five hours until the New Zealand drop (unless they go for western Australia time, I forget), and then we'll know what URL to hammer when it reaches the rest of the world. I'm nervous. Time does not exist and so on.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Samus appears after Horus is slain and says TO WIN THE HORUS HERESY, YOU MUST KILL ME, SAMUS!

Shroud
May 11, 2009
Also Samus, "It's like 40,000 warhammers, when all you need is a knife".

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Probably a paranoid question, but if I make another GW account on my old gmail, will they flag my accounts as suspicious if I use the same name and address and everything?

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007

DaysBefore posted:

Samus is like Starscream in that he shows up does his big monologue then gets invariably owned after like ten seconds by the protagonist. The daemon equivalent of a wrestling jobber

In the classic 1987 animated film "The Siege of Terra" the following Primarchs were voiced by Chris Latta: Fulgrim, Lorgar, and Perturabo.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Black Griffon posted:

Probably a paranoid question, but if I make another GW account on my old gmail, will they flag my accounts as suspicious if I use the same name and address and everything?

If you are trying to buy two copies of the limited edition then yes they will match addresses and cancel your orders. If you just want a new account and aren't going to buy the same things on both you should be fine.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

D-Pad posted:

If you are trying to buy two copies of the limited edition then yes they will match addresses and cancel your orders. If you just want a new account and aren't going to buy the same things on both you should be fine.

Got it. seems like it's less risk to just have the page open in two browser then tbh.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Well that was a failure. I was in place an hour before, they suddenly kicked me back into an 1 hour+ queue fifteen minutes before on desktop, I got through about five minutes before on mobile and by then it was sold out. My friend got kicked in back into the queue too, never got through.

If any of you have any luck grabbing an extra LE over there in the states let me know, I can't pay scalper prices or whatever but it would make me really, really happy if I could complete the TEatD set. Hell, if any of you wanna try your luck even if you weren't planning to buy one, don't let me stop you. I'm pleading here, but two out of three is such a loving bummer.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Did you identify the URL?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

https://www.warhammer.com/en-NO/shop/the-end-and-the-death-volume-3-special-edition-eng-2024 is the Norwegian one, so that would make the US one https://www.warhammer.com/en-US/shop/the-end-and-the-death-volume-3-special-edition-eng-2024 I reckon?