Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Shifty Pony posted:

My father did some work on land which had been confiscated and given to the freed families that had been enslaved there. It was interesting because the deed was extremely emphatic that the previous owners, any of their descendants, or relations had zero claim to the land and could never have such a claim, ever.

The person at the county deed office had never seen anything quite like it and mused that the slavers must have been someone who did something especially awful against the nation or threatened to do something like that to get the land back which lead to the reconstruction official essentially banning them and their bloodline from ever owning that land. From his non-lawyer reading of it if the current descendants of the freemen ever decided to sell it (which they were very much not interested in doing) the buyers would have to do a lot of genealogical research to make sure that they weren't even tangentially related to the slavers or they risked the sale being voided.

This should have been done for all land in the entire south.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Dameius posted:

I was being serious.

e: The planter class should of had their entire generational holdings in both land a wealth dissolved and redistributed to their former slaves. All policing organizations that acted in any capacity towards the management of slaves likewise should have been dissolved and rebuilt from their foundations. Any person who held political office in the CSA should have been tried and executed for treason.

Well, I’m sure glad that’s not how it went. I’m glad to be alive, and I’m glad to be the beneficiary of whatever remnants of my forebears’ generational wealth trickled down to me.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

General Dog posted:

Well, I’m sure glad that’s not how it went. I’m glad to be alive, and I’m glad to be the beneficiary of whatever remnants of my forebears’ generational wealth trickled down to me.

Being glad you got to inherit the wealth generated from the slave owners of the South sure is a thing you just said.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lmao

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Unironically every single southern politician, land owner and officer should have been left swinging in the breeze

:yeah:

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012
Slavery bad mmkkay

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Dameius posted:

Being glad you got to inherit the wealth generated from the slave owners of the South sure is a thing you just said.

Lmao oh my god

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

quote:

_______________/

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

If inherited wealth has to be a thing maybe the cotton plantation wealth should trickle down to the descendants of the people who actually did all the work idk

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

i say swears online posted:

_______________/

Let's be honest, if someone was gonna say it'd be the person with an Aggie av.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

VitalSigns posted:

If inherited wealth has to be a thing maybe the cotton plantation wealth should trickle down to the descendants of the people who actually did all the work idk

That's a pretty good idea and should probably be official law going forward too. People who do the work actually getting the wealth that labor generates I mean.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Manager Hoyden posted:

That's a pretty good idea and should probably be official law going forward too. People who do the work actually getting the wealth that labor generates I mean.

Reported to the authorities. A swat team is headed your way

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

General Dog posted:

Texpol blackpilled the hell out of you

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I'm just confused at the notion of any generational wealth getting trickled down to my generation.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

FoolyCharged posted:

I'm just confused at the notion of any generational wealth getting trickled down to my generation.

The progenitor is supposed the to die at reasonable age with a considerable amount of capitol to pass to succesors. Boomers kept on living and spending that capitol on themselves or the exorbitant cost medical/elder care to pay.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Nonconsensual wealth extraction is fine when corporations do it (a company that's developed treatment [not a cure, just treatment] for Alzheimers recently dropped the cost of the treatment from 56,000 a year to 28,000 a year, thinking they'd get good press off it), but it's tyranny when governments propose graduated taxation a few percentage points higher.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
https://twitter.com/ryanstruyk/status/1473100507648602113?s=21

Take that, Dallas

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Unvaxxed with underlying health issues too.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

there's a good chance omicron ends up as a net positive compared to slow creeping invasion by delta

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
https://twitter.com/drewtoothpaste/status/1473360059908374539?s=20

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

wasn't there a data analyst finding covid hotspots in feb 2020 using that method?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

https://twitter.com/timmarchman/status/1473661946209652736

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

The Good News: It turns out that the Texas maternal mortality is not nearly as high as previously reported!

The Bad News: Turns out our data collection is so terrible that it could potentially hurt our ability to actually track and mitigate public health issues.

https://twitter.com/FredipusRex/status/1473677809411313665?s=20

Lady Homunculus
May 22, 2017
Yeah it's shocking how unreliable the pregnancy checkbox on the death certificate is.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
https://twitter.com/carlzimmer/status/1474078584708939776?t=11zfL0VXh2mhRZ-IMoxmkA&s=19

Texas and Florida had pretty much bet the farm on Regeneron treatments for non-vaxxed cases

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Proud Christian Mom posted:

https://twitter.com/carlzimmer/status/1474078584708939776?t=11zfL0VXh2mhRZ-IMoxmkA&s=19

Texas and Florida had pretty much bet the farm on Regeneron treatments for non-vaxxed cases

:unsmigghh:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://www.politico.com/states/california/story/2021/12/23/california-education-aide-resigns-after-working-from-texas-9428100

even current public officials are moving here lol

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
Apparently there’s a GSK mca that works ok, sotrovimab, but supplies are extremely limited right now and only going to the immunocompromised rather than the intellectually compromised.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Lol. She'd lived here since 2016 and they just now passed a law booting people working half a country away.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Dad's making chili for dinner and asked me if I wanted beans in it :negative:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

everclear father of mine dot youtube

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

He grew up in Mississippi

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Put beans in your goddamn chili already you loving brisket-mouthed Alamo-fuckers

loving Texans and their stupid rear end food rules that actively prevent them from eating good things

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

zoux posted:

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Put beans in your goddamn chili already you loving brisket-mouthed Alamo-fuckers

loving Texans and their stupid rear end food rules that actively prevent them from eating good things

What a big mean jerk. If you want a stew with beans in it just say so. Otherwise chillax with the chili hate.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.

zoux posted:

:sever:

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
I mean there's nothing wrong with beans. It's just that a bowl is only so big and they're taking up space that could have been MORE MEAT.
\/ wisdom

Roumba fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Dec 24, 2021

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

It is funny that people get super serious about beans in chili when most people are just using ground beef and chili powder from the store anyways. If you are making a serious chili with real peppers and cubed meat and omit the beans, I do get it (but beans are still good even there).

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
With the price of beef these days, I can scarce afford not to put beans in my chili.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I've been putting beans in my chili this whole loving time hahahaha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Get fcked bean-lords