Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

OtspIII posted:

Troubling times for my 2008 Mazda5.

My transmission light (which Mazda5s apparently have) and engine light recently turned on, so I took my car to a transmission shop on Monday to look at. They said that the transmission fluid was low and replaced it, with the suggestion to see if that solves things--if the transmission is dead the car is beat up enough in other ways that it probably doesn't make sense to replace.

Things seemed better yesterday after driving to work and back (~45 minutes each way), but this morning on my way to work I felt a lurch as I was driving (keeping pace on a road--not immediately after a light or anything) and the engine light and AT/transmission light popped on again. The AT light turned off when I turned the car off and on again, but the engine light kept on (this is how it was acting just before I got it to the shop, too--the lights coming on and off with one bout of lurching during gear-shifts as I parked).

I'm assuming this means that my transmission is dying, but I'm not sure what that means to me on a practical level. Is there any chance that taking it to the shop could result in a fix that's not worth more than the car (which had been technically totaled from cosmetic damage when it was hit and run while parked a bit ago, and which has been damaged while parked multiple times since), or is this a "just squeeze as much life out of it as you can, but don't expect to be driving it in a year" situation, or is it a "car is a death-trap, don't get back in it, just tow it to a mechanic or junkyard" situation?

Or am I being dumb and should I just suck it up and replace the transmission? The car's ~165k miles, so in theory it should have some life left in its other parts. It's been beat to poo poo, but all the damage has been to bumpers and tail lights and windshields and side-mirrors and tires, which shouldn't have a big impact on its long-term life, right?

When did you last change the transmission fluid? Did the mechanic inspect for leaks and find none?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
It's probably worth a code read to see what's going on. You could have a PCM issue, as some quick googling indicates that the 3/5 does not have a separate TCM. A junkyard PCM would run you about 200 bucks.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”

OtspIII posted:

Troubling times for my 2008 Mazda5.

My transmission light (which Mazda5s apparently have) and engine light recently turned on, so I took my car to a transmission shop on Monday to look at. They said that the transmission fluid was low and replaced it, with the suggestion to see if that solves things--if the transmission is dead the car is beat up enough in other ways that it probably doesn't make sense to replace.

Things seemed better yesterday after driving to work and back (~45 minutes each way), but this morning on my way to work I felt a lurch as I was driving (keeping pace on a road--not immediately after a light or anything) and the engine light and AT/transmission light popped on again. The AT light turned off when I turned the car off and on again, but the engine light kept on (this is how it was acting just before I got it to the shop, too--the lights coming on and off with one bout of lurching during gear-shifts as I parked).

I'm assuming this means that my transmission is dying, but I'm not sure what that means to me on a practical level. Is there any chance that taking it to the shop could result in a fix that's not worth more than the car (which had been technically totaled from cosmetic damage when it was hit and run while parked a bit ago, and which has been damaged while parked multiple times since), or is this a "just squeeze as much life out of it as you can, but don't expect to be driving it in a year" situation, or is it a "car is a death-trap, don't get back in it, just tow it to a mechanic or junkyard" situation?

Or am I being dumb and should I just suck it up and replace the transmission? The car's ~165k miles, so in theory it should have some life left in its other parts. It's been beat to poo poo, but all the damage has been to bumpers and tail lights and windshields and side-mirrors and tires, which shouldn't have a big impact on its long-term life, right?

It's hard to say what makes the most sense for your situation, getting the issue properly diagnosed is probably where it should start. At any rate, probably start budgeting for a different car. It sounds to me like the transmission is starting to slip, and while that could be many different things, none of them are exactly great for the longevity of the transmission.

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

Twerk from Home posted:

When did you last change the transmission fluid? Did the mechanic inspect for leaks and find none?

I've had the car for two years--I'm not sure how long it was before then. They did check it and found that it was very low, but they refilled it. They checked for leaks and found none.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It's probably worth a code read to see what's going on. You could have a PCM issue, as some quick googling indicates that the 3/5 does not have a separate TCM. A junkyard PCM would run you about 200 bucks.

They did read it, and I should have written down what they said it was. I'll find out what it was.

I think my plan is to drive it home and get it checked out before driving it again--it sounds like it's a bad sign in general but it's probably not the case that I'm racking up avoidable damage by taking it home instead of taking it to a mechanic near work, is that probably right?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

OtspIII posted:

I've had the car for two years--I'm not sure how long it was before then. They did check it and found that it was very low, but they refilled it. They checked for leaks and found none.

They did read it, and I should have written down what they said it was. I'll find out what it was.

I think my plan is to drive it home and get it checked out before driving it again--it sounds like it's a bad sign in general but it's probably not the case that I'm racking up avoidable damage by taking it home instead of taking it to a mechanic near work, is that probably right?

did you not get like, a repair order from the shop? it should have CCC on it including any codes (assuming they're remotely competent)

as to the second: nobody knows!

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

if i parked my cars somewhere they got beat to poo poo to that extent i would 100% be putting a premium on keeping my already cosmetically beat to poo poo car running. idk if it's "new transmission" sized premium but i definitely wouldn't be writing this off yet

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Cactus Ghost posted:

if i parked my cars somewhere they got beat to poo poo to that extent i would 100% be putting a premium on keeping my already cosmetically beat to poo poo car running. idk if it's "new transmission" sized premium but i definitely wouldn't be writing this off yet

Good point.

To add to this: if the car is otherwise running good, 2000 - 2500 bucks for a junkyard transmission installed (because they ain't likely to be taking the old one apart and repairing whatever is actually the problem) is a lot cheaper than buying a new car. Unless you know someone who is getting rid of recently deceased grandma's car and wants it gone NOW NOW NOW, you ain't getting poo poo for the price of replacing the transmission unless you buy a car thats actually on fire at the time of sale.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Perfect opportunity for a manual transmission swap :gritin:

Looks like a rebuilt FS5A-EL is under two grand, a junkyard one would be even cheaper.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
I fixed the issue with the seat, it took me a few hours and managed to get my car to think it was being stolen. I committed the cardinal sin of auto repair and stripped a bolt trying to get everything back together, I am pretty sure I was supposed to completely remove the seat and rails before working on it but that wasnt possible with the seat in its current position. I guess I am going to the dealership to see if they order a single bolt. It one of the 4 bolts that connect the seat to rails(one at each corner). Its a special m10-100 bolt with collar. If the dealer cant get one what are my options

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

The dealer can definitely get one. It wont be cheap but it will be correct.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Calidus posted:

...I committed the cardinal sin of auto repair and stripped a bolt trying to get everything back together...

If the dealer cant get one what are my options

Any salvage yards in your area?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

PainterofCrap posted:

Any salvage yards in your area?

lol my first read of this was "turn the car in for scrap"

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

His Divine Shadow posted:

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

His Divine Shadow posted:

At this point I kind of want to, my little BRZ was so easy to work on compared to the TourX. I am now dreading buying a modern min van in the future.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Have to purchase the entire seat frame lol. I checked the local salvage yards and nothing is available which makes sense considering the seat frame is only on 2018 and newer vehicles. I got a hardened steel bolt washer from the hardware store for the short term.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

You can almost certainly get the exact bolt from McMaster-Carr. I did this several years ago.

Possibility.

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Sep 29, 2023

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Just want to complain about bad design

The firewall on our 2010 Mustang has a cavity between two steel plates, one on the cabin side and one on the engine side. This cavity also houses the cabin air filter, and at the bottom has a drain hole. If you park outside, crap like pine needles gets washed into that cavity and clogs up the drain hole. Now it just fills with water during a hard rain, and if it gets enough water, it will run through the cabin air filter into the passenger side floor and you get a pool of water.

I dont even understand why the cavity needs a drain and cant just be open to the ground.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

smackfu posted:

Just want to complain about bad design

The firewall on our 2010 Mustang has a cavity between two steel plates, one on the cabin side and one on the engine side. This cavity also houses the cabin air filter, and at the bottom has a drain hole. If you park outside, crap like pine needles gets washed into that cavity and clogs up the drain hole. Now it just fills with water during a hard rain, and if it gets enough water, it will run through the cabin air filter into the passenger side floor and you get a pool of water.

I dont even understand why the cavity needs a drain and cant just be open to the ground.

There could be NVH reasons why the bottom of the cavity is closed. Munro Live has had videos in recent months mentioning this type of firewall, called something like a double firewall. It is especially viable in vehicles like EVs where you dont necessarily need the coolant lines and other things penetrating the firewall. And it has significant benefits for NVH.

A lot of vehicles have that issue area at the windshield cowl, my Audi sedan included. It will get nasty and filled with old leaves. One can either use a shop vac at home if they have the hand tools to take the cowl cover off, or ask a mechanic to do that when you get an oil change or something. But unfortunately it is added maintenance for that area to keep it clear and keep the drain working.

Those who park in a garage at night are less susceptible to this area even needing maintenance or vacuuming.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

what sort of things beyond routine listed-in-the-manual maintainace should i keep an eye out for on a 20-year old manual transmission car? I know to keep an eye on the boots for the various greased things, the axle cvs and the ball joints and stuff. i know to keep an ear out for noisy wheel bearings. What else?

I ask because while ive had old cars before, i was poor and they were poo poo, so i basically just drove them until something failed catastrophically

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Cactus Ghost posted:

what sort of things beyond routine listed-in-the-manual maintainace should i keep an eye out for on a 20-year old manual transmission car? I know to keep an eye on the boots for the various greased things, the axle cvs and the ball joints and stuff. i know to keep an ear out for noisy wheel bearings. What else?

I ask because while ive had old cars before, i was poor and they were poo poo, so i basically just drove them until something failed catastrophically

Depends on the car, really. 20 years is enough time for car specific issues to crop up and solutions found and tested that aren't listed in the manual.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Cactus Ghost posted:

if its up there in miles (120k+) watch out for normal clutch wear/the possibility of failure (most well-maintained clutches should fail gracefully and give you plenty of obvious time and a gradual decline in tackiness before you have to get them replaced in order to keep the car roadworthy, but they can also fail suddenly and catastrophically, depending on their manufacture and experiences/treatment from previous owners/use as a learner car/etcas happened to an ex and I in the middle of I-95 while riding in her Mazda 3 a few years back) and plan your budget/resources accordingly.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Inner Light posted:

A lot of vehicles have that issue area at the windshield cowl, my Audi sedan included. It will get nasty and filled with old leaves. One can either use a shop vac at home if they have the hand tools to take the cowl cover off, or ask a mechanic to do that when you get an oil change or something. But unfortunately it is added maintenance for that area to keep it clear and keep the drain working.

Those who park in a garage at night are less susceptible to this area even needing maintenance or vacuuming.
Yeah I really need to pay more attention to it, I thought it was just a nuisance that crap collected there.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

smackfu posted:

Yeah I really need to pay more attention to it, I thought it was just a nuisance that crap collected there.

Yeah, its a funny little thing, I believe like problematic engineered designs of particular models sunroof drains, certain models have an exact cowl and drain design which lends a tendency to the exact issue you and I have. I noticed when speaking to a couple good older mechanics, I think one independent and one at the dealer, who know when one model and generation may need a vacuum service and check of that area haha. Theyll charge you book time usually for the few mins and it benefits the mechanic and owner.

My Audi sunroof drains on a 2013 car have been completely problem free despite being parked on the street covered in leaves from decades old huge trees lining streets I used to live on. AC never flooded water on the inside but the cowl would be gross and need vacuum every year or so if I still parked outside. Its all about those particular plastic drain designs methinks and leaves are something you cant CAD out every time.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Oct 1, 2023

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I cleaned out an active ant colony in the fresh-air cowl of my neighbors 08 Forester. I was doing the initial evaluation/service/oil change/ troubleshooting for her right after she bought it.

Cleaning out the cowl intakes became a regular thing for me after experiencing the problem you described. No one ever seems to do it.

Aaaannnd I have to do the sunroof drains on my 05 Cayenne. Got water in the passenger front footwell.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Cactus Ghost posted:

Based on my own experiences.

Drain and replace the gearbox oil, do a flush (replace the oil, drive a few miles and replace it again).

Drain and replace the coolant. You can also put in a special cleaning agent and flush the system of debris and coolant before putting in new coolant.

You could also drain and replace the brake fluid and power steering fluid.

Coolant in particular ages and looses it's anti corrosive properties so I feel that's worthwhile to replace if you don't know how old it is.

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

I would like to to identify the plug on this assembly:

I broke the clip off the brake switch plug in the process of finding it, to install a trailer brake controller. While I am sure the brake switch plug won't jiggle loose anytime soon, I still would like to get that connector and replace it. More importantly, I want to get an extra set of male and female connectors and pins to make a bridge piece that I can easily/properly tap for the brake controller without directly splicing the switch wires or the harness it plugs into.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I saw a car today with immense quantities of white smoke coming out of the tailpipe. What blew up here?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

White smoke probably means they've elected a new pope they blew a head gasket and are burning coolant.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

smackfu posted:

I saw a car today with immense quantities of white smoke coming out of the tailpipe. What blew up here?

If it was just while driving around this is usually head gasket failure. If someone is running near a house someone could be doing a valve cleaning with Seafoam or other cleaning agent. I did it on my first LX and the cloud was comical; like completely blocked my house amount of smoke.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

love seeing my fellow trash gremlins making do with a head gasket leak. as long as the oil isn't cloudy you're good for at least a couple more weeks of short trips before sending the heap to the recycler (do not listen to this, it is bad advice)

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Cactus Ghost posted:

love seeing my fellow trash gremlins making do with a head gasket leak. as long as the oil isn't cloudy you're good for at least a couple more weeks of short trips before sending the heap to the recycler (do not listen to this, it is bad advice)

My milkshake spins all the bearings out the car

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

They pulled into that driveway from the main road so sounds like head gasket is the winner. Thanks!

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Actually that points me more towards seafoam since they were more possibly driving around their block.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

VelociBacon posted:

Actually that points me more towards seafoam since they were more possibly driving around their block.

I dunno, that sign is pretty ominous.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

That's a lot more smoke than you usually see from a head gasket!

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Is there anything to the idea that seafoam can dislodge crud that might have been better off left alone? Is that an automotive old wife's tale? I know when I used it the cloud was indeed outrageous, like you almost become a nuisance for your neighbors while it's happening.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Jack B Nimble posted:

Is there anything to the idea that seafoam can dislodge crud that might have been better off left alone? Is that an automotive old wife's tale? I know when I used it the cloud was indeed outrageous, like you almost become a nuisance for your neighbors while it's happening.

All I can say is that I wouldn't go anywhere near seafoam with a modern engine with a million sensors, high pressure fuel pumps driven off cam lobes relying on proper lubrication (hi VW FSI motors), etc. And yeah it's the same thinking as 'flushes' on older motors, you're likely to cause a leak and it's better to just solve the problem you want to solve.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

yeah there's no way in hell i'd put seafoam through anything with a catylitic converter or an o2 sensor unless i disconnected the cat and was ready to replace the sensor. idk if that's actually true, its just the vibe i get. billowing smoke doesn't seem good for things that need to stay hot, clean, and unclogged

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Ive heard bad things about knocking carbon off DI valves in large enough chunks to damage the turbo, and similar spooky stories about exhaust temperatures affecting the oil cooling, but literally everything is hearsay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Why do I keep finding sockets on bolts in my cars engine compartment? I found a 12mm socket sitting pretty securely on a bolt near the bottom of the radiator.

It's not the first time I have found a socket like that, and near the radiator both times.

Did the previous owners just forget? What's going on?