Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Ideas on what to do with a 3lb eye round roast?

I bought it two months ago when it was cold and stuck it in the freezer thinking I would make stew, which obviously never happened. Now it's getting too warm to want stew, so I'm open for any ideas on what to do with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

nwin posted:

I bought it two months ago when it was cold and stuck it in the freezer thinking I would make stew, which obviously never happened. Now it's getting too warm to want stew, so I'm open for any ideas on what to do with it.

Jerky

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
This is the business https://www.cookscountry.com/recipes/8764-bottom-round-roast-beef-with-zip-style-sauce

Actual recipe here https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/member/views/bottom-round-roast-beef-with-zip-style-sauce-5724c0fafb469991133ff39d/

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

nwin posted:

roast it, french dip time

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

BraveUlysses posted:

roast it, french dip time

This. Round makes terrible stew.

Roast it to the low end of medium rare, slice thin and eat on a sandwich with horseradish.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I have like half a joint of what I think is pork loin in my freezer and I just haven’t used it. I think at some point the idea was to use it for shougayaki but I couldn’t never get the sliced thin enough to not be thick and tough. I can’t say loin is my favorite cut of pork (I prefer cuts that benefit from low and slow e.g. shoulder, ribs, shank, etc), and it’s been in there for like a loving year, so I might just get rid of it.

Beef round sucks, IME. I’ve never been able to make it all that appetizing. In fact, all the “cheap” cuts like eye round, top round, etc. are really lean and tasteless, but they’re the most common in the meat section.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 15:47 on May 8, 2018

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
That's why they're cheap, yeah. They're not great and there's not as much demand.

Smother those pork loin chops though :getin:

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

This might be the right answer. My wife's pregnant, so I can't do anything rare...otherwise I would try out that zip marinade recipe someone else posted.

Iggore
May 6, 2009
Alright, so the company I was working for suddently went bankrupt, and I now have to cook and eat on the tiniest most slim budget. Am I allowed to make a dedicated thread on the subject or should I ask for a few questions here?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Iggore posted:

Alright, so the company I was working for suddently went bankrupt, and I now have to cook and eat on the tiniest most slim budget. Am I allowed to make a dedicated thread on the subject or should I ask for a few questions here?
Just go to the poor thread.

Kalista
Oct 18, 2001

Pookah posted:

Make jap chae! It's very nice to eat hot, cold or lukewarm and it makes very good leftovers because sweet potato noodles don't go mushy.

https://thewoksoflife.com/2017/06/japchae/

Meat is totally optional as well - it tastes great with or without it.

I made this for dinner last night. It was even better cold for lunch today than it was yesterday (though next time I make it I'll add something to give it more heat, likely gochugaru). Thanks for passing the recipe on!

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I'm currently trying out different types of veggies in stir fries to try and diversify (also mushrooms, the one thing grown in the ground that I do like, are freaking expensive), is there a website that gives a rough estimate on how long different veggies fry for? Trying to look up individual recipes has times all over the place, and I'm assuming that is because the recipe assumes other ingredients are in the skillet.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Leal posted:

I'm currently trying out different types of veggies in stir fries to try and diversify (also mushrooms, the one thing grown in the ground that I do like, are freaking expensive), is there a website that gives a rough estimate on how long different veggies fry for? Trying to look up individual recipes has times all over the place, and I'm assuming that is because the recipe assumes other ingredients are in the skillet.

You should be cutting them all into pieces that will cook at about the same speed.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Are frozen delicate white fish like flounder just impossible to cook? I've tried sauteing, baking, breading, and they just disintegrate.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I've got 2 steaks that have a use by date of today. If i sous vide them at 131f for around 2 hours while i'm at the gym they'll be safe for a few days in the fridge to just reheat and then sear?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Yes. Use by is guidance. Smell is the tell.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Pollyanna posted:

Beef round sucks, IME. I’ve never been able to make it all that appetizing. In fact, all the “cheap” cuts like eye round, top round, etc. are really lean and tasteless, but they’re the most common in the meat section.

Have you tried London Broil? It is absolutely my favorite preperation of steak.

Also, guy with a 3lb eye round, LONDON BROIL.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

wormil posted:

Are frozen delicate white fish like flounder just impossible to cook? I've tried sauteing, baking, breading, and they just disintegrate.

A fish turner and a nonstick pan does the trick for me.

Also, cook it through like 90% on one side and flip once just to finish. Or not at all and toss it under the broiler for like 30 seconds.

It's just like any other meat. Don't gently caress with it until it releases from the pan on its own.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
/\/\/\ This, plus:

wormil posted:

Thaw them completely, slowly. Like, put the fillet in the fridge for 24 hours before cooking it.

A block of ice in the middle of a piece of fish seems to really mess with cooking, in my experience.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

ExecuDork posted:

/\/\/\ This, plus:

Thaw them completely, slowly. Like, put the fillet in the fridge for 24 hours before cooking it.

A block of ice in the middle of a piece of fish seems to really mess with cooking, in my experience.

thaw in cold water for an hour, should be long enough.

a lot of fish has been refrozen multiple times and you should minimize the time between frozen and cooking it

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Yes. Use by is guidance. Smell is the tell.

ive decided to just seal and freeze them and cook from frozen

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Are there any sealed loaf pans so I could get the crust of a dutch oven but the sandwich shape?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Are there any sealed loaf pans so I could get the crust of a dutch oven but the sandwich shape?

Pullman pans are precisely what you just described, but they result in a soft, uniform, thin crust.

Maybe put a cloche over a loaf pan? Dunno. Or just steam your oven as you put in the loaf.

Why not make a hearth style batard instead of using a loaf pan? Seems easier.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Staub makes a cast iron loaf pan with a cover.

https://www.surlatable.com/product/PRO-2047744/?mrkgcl=890&mrkgadid=3115712691&affsrcid=AFF0005

Presumably you'll get a thicker crust, but :homebrew:

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Pullman pans are precisely what you just described, but they result in a soft, uniform, thin crust.

Maybe put a cloche over a loaf pan? Dunno. Or just steam your oven as you put in the loaf.

Why not make a hearth style batard instead of using a loaf pan? Seems easier.

I can't find a loaf pan cloche, and a batard is too wide to use for sandwiches.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Yep definitely look into a Pullman loaf. I love getting perfectly square no top crust slices for sandwiches.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I can't find a loaf pan cloche, and a batard is too wide to use for sandwiches.

Make a tighter rolled batard for sandwich slices. Or, use a cloche that's too big because it'll still trap steam.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Scientastic posted:

I’m trying to diversify my barbecuing (grilling) and one thing I am trying to do more of is desserts. We’ve had a lot of success with barbecuing peaches and making Eton mess with them, and also thin slices of pineapple, but I feel like there’s more we could be doing. Any good ideas?

Did anyone have any suggestions for me, or am I doomed to just trying various fruits and seeing what works? Which is fine, I just wanted to check if anyone had done anything before I repeat the honeydew melon mistake.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Scientastic posted:

Did anyone have any suggestions for me, or am I doomed to just trying various fruits and seeing what works? Which is fine, I just wanted to check if anyone had done anything before I repeat the honeydew melon mistake.

Fruit is cheap, I think you should spend $20 at the store and experiment, reporting back. Whole grilled grapefruit? Sure. Grilled kiwi slices? Why not!

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Well so far, peaches, plums, pineapple and apples have all worked brilliantly.

Aforementioned honeydew melon, not so much.

Trying orange slices at the weekend, and having them with some homemade honeycomb ice cream.

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

Scientastic posted:

Stone fruits (including little stuff like cherries if you have a grill basket) will pretty much all work. Bananas work (wrapped in tin foil). Citrus works okay (cut in half and grill cut side down) although it's not my personal favorite.

You can also grill pound cake. Other dense cakes might work, too.

I'm sure you are also aware that you can make most not-too-picky-about-temperature oven desserts on a grill - bread pudding, fruit cobblers - by leaving them on the grill with the lid closed and effectively just baking them. I find this works best with fruit crisps or other things which don't really need to "cook" so much as heat up. But I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for.

E: although obviously the grill is strictly worse than the oven for baking unless your residence doesn't have AC and you don't want to heat up the house.

legendof fucked around with this message at 23:36 on May 9, 2018

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
If your goal is just not to heat up the house (as opposed to "this would benefit from grilling"), another option is to make that kind of goopy stuff in a crock pot.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
So I tried to make a white sauce for my pasta. It's bechamel but with garlic and shallot.

It tastes pretty good, in that it tastes like garlic. I didn't have any decent cheese so I couldn't make it into a cheesy pasta sauce.

Am I even on the right track with putting this on top of pasta or is this one of those things people come up when experimenting/high and isn't a legit thing?

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

skooma512 posted:

So I tried to make a white sauce for my pasta. It's bechamel but with garlic and shallot.

It tastes pretty good, in that it tastes like garlic. I didn't have any decent cheese so I couldn't make it into a cheesy pasta sauce.

Am I even on the right track with putting this on top of pasta or is this one of those things people come up when experimenting/high and isn't a legit thing?

I'm pretty sure bechamel with garlic and shallots is still bechamel, and it's a fine thing to eat with pasta. I'd add some roasted shrooms, parsley, and some veal scaloppini.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

skooma512 posted:

If it tastes good and doesn't make you sick its legit. I'd add some grated parm and browned italian sausage to that, you could brown the sausage first and use the fat from it as the base of your bechamel.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Kalista posted:

I made this for dinner last night. It was even better cold for lunch today than it was yesterday (though next time I make it I'll add something to give it more heat, likely gochugaru). Thanks for passing the recipe on!

You're v. welcome! Just don't make the mistake I made and accidentally make so much japchae that you pretty much have to eat it for every meal for about three days and thus make yourself sick of it :(

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Pookah posted:

You're v. welcome! Just don't make the mistake I made and accidentally make so much japchae that you pretty much have to eat it for every meal for about three days and thus make yourself sick of it :(
I made so much curry in my new dutch oven that I've had it for 6 of the 8 meals I've eaten since I made it.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

The japchae incident started with me soaking too much sweet potato vermicelli, so of course then I had to prep too much veg or the proportions would be all wrong. And that's how I ended up with about 3 pounds of delicious, endless japchae.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Pookah posted:

The japchae incident started with me soaking too much sweet potato vermicelli, so of course then I had to prep too much veg or the proportions would be all wrong. And that's how I ended up with about 3 pounds of delicious, endless japchae.

Pop me some in the post because I've been craving it since reading the recipe and haven't gotten round to it yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I have a bunch of knives that are super dull. I don't think they're worth bringing them to the shop. Can someone point me to the direction to where I can get started on this? I'm pretty sure I want to get a sharpening stone.