Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

reignonyourparade posted:

Eurovision doesn't include Western Russia, it includes Greenland.
And Turkish Thrace is still attached to Turkey, connecting very nicely to Malaysia.

Dreddout posted:

(Excluding the unifiliated states which I just think the author was too lazy to categorize)
Which unaffiliated states? The only one not explicitly affiliated is Israel, with its own custom color, which should make it self-explanatory.

Pakled posted:

(this is huge, open in a new tab if you wish)
When I first looked at it I thought "Wow, those are some really stark cross-border differences between states". If only America hadn't gone for boring all straight lines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Unreal_One posted:

Since when? Duterte certainly doesn't like the US, but the country still rates the US higher than anyone else, including the US.

I thought they were (rightfully) still mad about the invasion and how we treated them. I'll be damned.

Peanut President fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Aug 18, 2017

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Which unaffiliated states? The only one not explicitly affiliated is Israel, with its own custom color, which should make it self-explanatory.

I was referring to the Mexico/Russian cluster gently caress in green

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Peanut President posted:

I thought they were (rightfully) still mad about the invasion and how we treated them. I'll be damned.

Y'know, there was another invasion of the Philippines you might have heard of.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

ranbo das posted:

I mean I can understand Russia and Turkey as being European if you kinda squint a little and the room is dark enough, but Israel and Australia? Come on you're not even trying.

Eh, I've said before that a lot of Australians pretty much act like we're five miles off the coast of England with an inexplicably warm climate.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Dreddout posted:

I was referring to the Mexico/Russian cluster gently caress in green
They're not unaffiliated, they're helping Russians regain their pride.

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011

Peanut President posted:

A Filipino I spoke to once said that the Japanese were so horrible that Americans are mostly thought of as liberators and tourist money.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Y'know, there was another invasion of the Philippines you might have heard of.

Japanese could have made Gengis Khan look good.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Natty Ninefingers posted:

Japanese could have made Gengis Khan look good.

They actually made his grandson look bad.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Pakled posted:

What's up with the weird regions?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

It's just how they broke up the land to survey it with satellites.

https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/Features/ForestCarbon/

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

It's what the states actually look like. Don't believe the round-earther illuminati maps!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Tupaia’s map for James Cook

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Inescapable Duck posted:

Eh, I've said before that a lot of Australians pretty much act like we're five miles off the coast of England with an inexplicably warm climate.

you are tho?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
you, an imbecile: US divided into equal population areas
me, an intellectual: the UK divided into equal population areas

I foresee no potential problems here whatsoever.

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

Finally, the glorious kingdom of Cornwales!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Will everyone please rise for the presentation of the regional banner of Cornwalesex.

(The Wyverngon is saying 'kill me')

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I'm independent Isle of Man.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

BonHair posted:

The Isle of Man is a crown dependency, not part of the UK. :eng101:

(As an American, I'm actually not entirely sure what that means.)

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

BonHair posted:

Lol, check out this moron who doesn't know the Isle of man is a crown dependency and not part of the UK, idiot.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Lord Hydronium posted:

As far as I understand it, that means it's personal property of the queen. You know, like your house is.

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.

Lord Hydronium posted:

I looked it up on wikipedia but still don't fully understand and it's not worth the brain matches it'll burn to dig deeper.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Deltasquid posted:

As far as I understand it, that means it's personal property of the queen. You know, like your house is.

The Queen owns my house? :ohdear:

drat it. I KNEW I should have looked at the fine print in that morgage paperwork more carefully! I KNEW there'd be a catch! By the end of the year the place will probably have been turned into a kennel for her backup Corgis.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
That sounds oppressive. Glad I live free of the tendrils of monarchism.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Powered Descent posted:

The Queen owns my house? :ohdear:

drat it. I KNEW I should have looked at the fine print in that morgage paperwork more carefully! I KNEW there'd be a catch! By the end of the year the place will probably have been turned into a kennel for her backup Corgis.

You can only hope so.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Lord Hydronium posted:

Think Guam

TinTower posted:

you, an imbecile: US divided into equal population areas
me, an intellectual: the UK divided into equal population areas

I foresee no potential problems here whatsoever.
I don't know why they just didn't add Cumbria to the Northwest region instead of Bradford?

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Mano posted:

Finally, the glorious kingdom of Cornwales!

part of a balanced diet

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Deltasquid posted:

It is the personal property of the Crown, the corporate persona of the sovereign. So yes, the Isle of Man is the queen's personal property. As is for example 90% of Canada.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Yeah, it's oriented with the orient on top, as was the custom for a long time.

Orient = holy land, being the rationale?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Rumda posted:

Think Guam

I don't know why they just didn't add Cumbria to the Northwest region instead of Bradford?

You'd probably have to put Newcastle into Scotland instead.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

A Buttery Pastry posted:

It is the personal property of the Crown, the corporate persona of the sovereign. So yes, the Isle of Man is the queen's personal property. As is for example 90% of Canada.

This actually rules, because the Queen lets you do whatever on her property, she's a real bro about it.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Ensign Expendable posted:

This actually rules, because the Queen lets you do whatever on her property, she's a real bro about it.

"What happens on crown property stays on crown property, mate" *winks, pets corgi*

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Count Roland posted:

Orient = holy land, being the rationale?
I thought so, but looking it up, it seems like it actually had to do with the belief that Paradise lay in the direction of the rising sun. Couldn't very well place Paradise on the sides, or even worse, the bottom.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Why only 90%?

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
So that property thing is symbolic, right? Even if the Queen did her best she could not actually do anything with it?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Crown lands rule, it's basically like a huge park for the most part but not quite. Mining and logging will often buy rights to resources on crown lands, or buy the land outright if allowed. Most of canada that isn't a city or a farm is crown land.
Where this isn't the case is mostly where I live, on Vancouver island most of the land was privatized very early on, not a lot of crown land. This means that the vast swaths of nature are technically private property and the owners can put up fences and keep people out and generally be jerks vs crown land which is treated more like public property.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

doverhog posted:

So that property thing is symbolic, right? Even if the Queen did her best she could not actually do anything with it?

None of these people ever write anything down so she probably could, then she would get her head chopped off or something.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

It's kind of weird, because in Britain, there's the general concept that if you're not inside a building premises or on farmland, you generally have an unspoken right to go anywhere. It's why the London Garden Bridge was so controversial it got canned; there wasn't going to be a presumptive right of way across the river on the bridge.

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

Pakled posted:

Wow, you can see I-49 in Louisiana clear as day.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

doverhog posted:

The Crown can take your property, in exchange for whatever a court decides is a fair amount.

In republics, the Crown is simply replaced with the State. Thus eminent domain.

Very few places (monarchies or republics) still do allodial title where that can't happen. There's a few outlying islands off Scotland and some old titles in Nevada but I can't think of any others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013

Pakled posted:

It's just how they broke up the land to survey it with satellites.

https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/Features/ForestCarbon/

I am, no joke, very interested in how these divisions would work as states. I'm sure Central Valley and Inland Northwest will be terrible.

Whiz Palace fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Aug 18, 2017