Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I have been using graphic converter all morning and it is literally exactly what I was after. Unreally happy with it :D

Zenostein, thank you. I said it earlier but I have to say it again - this solved everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NuclearWinterUK
Jan 13, 2007

Yes, I am very well
Edit: nevermind I'm dumb

NuclearWinterUK fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Dec 6, 2023

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

It’s ok, we love you anyway.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

How can I find out what application is causing this error everytime I restart?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

kiwid posted:

How can I find out what application is causing this error everytime I restart?

Have you looked in your login items? You can try disabling them all and then enabling them one by one until you find the culprit.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Silly Burrito posted:

Have you looked in your login items? You can try disabling them all and then enabling them one by one until you find the culprit.

Was hoping to avoid that but I suppose I can. Is there not a log somewhere?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
drat bro how many login items you got?

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Many of these are just to fix bullshit macOS quirks.

LinearMouse to fix mouse accel and stuff.
BetterTouchTool to map some keys.
Cursr to provide context-aware mouse across different resolution screens
noTunes to stop Apple Music from opening when I use my AirPods (like why the gently caress)

kiwid fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Dec 6, 2023

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Ya so I removed my first item, reboot, error went away. Re-added the item just to be sure and still no error. What the gently caress.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

kiwid posted:

Ya so I removed my first item, reboot, error went away. Re-added the item just to be sure and still no error. What the gently caress.

Could have been a case of, it had its set of plists to define all the items, but one of them was a dud or half-broken from not having been uninstalled properly, and thus wouldn't show up in the list but would still be picked up and “done” during start-up. By going into the list and fiddling with it, the OS went to update/add/remove the actual files behind it and only then removed the junk item.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Sounds about right. :D

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

nexxai posted:

Goddammit, it turns out that it just does it the first time after closing the lid instead now.

GET UR poo poo TOGETHER APPLE :blastu:

For about the last 3 Macs, using a TB dock with the lid closed and waking it up from sleep meant often only one monitor would awake. Unplugging the dock and plugging it back in sometimes helped, but often would SEEM like it helped and wake the other monitor up for a few seconds, then KP and reboot.

Then it will work fine for months. And then it will start this poo poo again.

Drives me bonkers.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Both my last Intel Macs did that, but it hasn't happened on my M1 Pro thankfully.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Meanwhile, Apple just pushed out its second Release Candidate of macOS Sonoma v.14.2, which would indicate the final shipping version should be out annnnnyy day now..

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I was getting a touch ID prompt when deleting things or copy/pasting from random folders in my user directory, so I checked my permissions. My user folder has my user with "custom" permissions like 20 times, then Read/write at the very bottom with other users and groups.

I can't hit the minus button on those entries, I can only change the permission for each user one at a time.

What's up with this?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

tuyop posted:

I was getting a touch ID prompt when deleting things or copy/pasting from random folders in my user directory, so I checked my permissions. My user folder has my user with "custom" permissions like 20 times, then Read/write at the very bottom with other users and groups.

I can't hit the minus button on those entries, I can only change the permission for each user one at a time.

What's up with this?

I bet there’s some command-line thing you can do with chattr or similar to get it all set in one pass

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

tuyop posted:

What's up with this?
Sounds like maybe copying stuff at some point has mucked up the file permissions a bunch. I'd start with the basics and assuming you're comfortable using it just check what the Terminal (in the Utilities subfolder of Applications) says about the owner/group of your files because it might be something as simple as some of them are owned by root or admin for some reason.

Terminal should default to opening in your home directory and you can then type 'ls -l' (which is essentially list -long) and check if the folders listed all have your user's shortname followed by staff after them (using output from my computer with the shortname of mercury as an example):
code:
[mercury@macstudio] ~ %: ls -l
total 856
drwxr-x---+  37 mercury  staff    1184  9 Dec 06:54 .
drwxr-xr-x    5 root     admin     160  4 Dec 08:18 ..
drwxr-xr-x    3 mercury  staff      96 23 Nov  2022 Applications
drwx------@ 221 mercury  staff    7072  7 Dec 18:49 Desktop
drwxr-xr-x    5 mercury  staff     160 22 Mar  2023 Development
drwx------@ 132 mercury  staff    4224 30 Nov 06:48 Documents
drwx------+ 231 mercury  staff    7392  6 Dec 16:13 Downloads
drwx------@ 102 mercury  staff    3264 27 Sep 07:12 Library
drwx------    7 mercury  staff     224  9 Apr  2022 Movies
drwx------+   6 mercury  staff     192 30 Mar  2022 Music
drwx------+  33 mercury  staff    1056  5 Nov 07:43 Pictures
drwxr-xr-x+   4 mercury  staff     128 30 Mar  2022 Public
You can see here that I have an extra folder called Development but it still has mercury staff as the owner so it behaves normally.

If any of the folders you were getting prompted to use admin credentials on don't have your shortname and staff next to them that's probably where the issue is. You can use the chown (change owner) command in Terminal to fix it but check first and if that's the case we can go into it further.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

In trying to move my Music library to my new Mac, a process I've done several times over the past 20 years, I've hit an infuriating snag. I have the media folder set to ~/Music, and with the same library file from the old machine, music.app insists on moving everything to ~/Music/Music as I play them. Everything's configured the same way on the old machine and the new one, from what I can tell, and they're both on the latest Sonoma version, but the new one just won't behave the same way. Any thoughts?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Luceo posted:

In trying to move my Music library to my new Mac, a process I've done several times over the past 20 years, I've hit an infuriating snag. I have the media folder set to ~/Music, and with the same library file from the old machine, music.app insists on moving everything to ~/Music/Music as I play them. Everything's configured the same way on the old machine and the new one, from what I can tell, and they're both on the latest Sonoma version, but the new one just won't behave the same way. Any thoughts?

I think the first Music is your directory in your home directory, and the second one is the app name. So it’s like it was ~/Music/iTunes/ in the past. Not much you can do here I think. Maybe delete the Music directory from your home directory (if you can), and then set your Music directory to your home directory? I wouldn’t suggest it though.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

IUG posted:

I think the first Music is your directory in your home directory, and the second one is the app name. So it’s like it was ~/Music/iTunes/ in the past. Not much you can do here I think. Maybe delete the Music directory from your home directory (if you can), and then set your Music directory to your home directory? I wouldn’t suggest it though.

Yeah, I understand that. I just don't get why that this time, I can't make it work like it's working on the old Mac running the same software. And the way I've had it work for 20 years.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Luceo posted:

Yeah, I understand that. I just don't get why that this time, I can't make it work like it's working on the old Mac running the same software. And the way I've had it work for 20 years.

Is “Keep Music Media folder organized” checked (in Preferences > Files)?

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

nitsuga posted:

Yes, and I've always had it that way, ever since I gave up back in the day and tagged everything so that it'd sort them properly.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe
I feel like Apple Original Films missed a real co-branding opportunity to call themselves Apple Cinema.

lua
Jun 16, 2013
I've just gone from a 2011 MBP to a new MacBook Air and, while generally great, it feels like the trackpad scrolling is somehow...different. I've been messing with the scrolling speed under the accessibility settings but that doesn't seem to quite change what I want – like it's more about acceleration than speed perhaps.

Does anyone have any suggestions or should I just get used to it?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

lua posted:

I've just gone from a 2011 MBP to a new MacBook Air and, while generally great, it feels like the trackpad scrolling is somehow...different. I've been messing with the scrolling speed under the accessibility settings but that doesn't seem to quite change what I want – like it's more about acceleration than speed perhaps.

Does anyone have any suggestions or should I just get used to it?

Trackpads have changed in 12 years and I bet you’ll get used to it in a matter of hours or days :)

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Like anyone cares, Apple did a rare Monday software update release..

:siren: Apple has released new macOS updates :siren:

https://twitter.com/ClassicII_MrMac/status/1734276277362647074

For anybody who was doing testing with the beta, 14.2 RC2 (build 23C64) is exactly the same as the release build.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

nitsuga posted:

Unchecking this does seem to have stopped Music from moving things to ~/Music/Music. Still doesn't make sense that I've had that option selected for literal decades and it just now decided to behave like this, not to mention that I did actually want it to organize songs based on their tags.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Luceo posted:

Unchecking this does seem to have stopped Music from moving things to ~/Music/Music. Still doesn't make sense that I've had that option selected for literal decades and it just now decided to behave like this, not to mention that I did actually want it to organize songs based on their tags.

That’s progress.

I think with some combination of settings from that pane, you could get what you want. Maybe change the media folder but opt to organize it still. It’s that or having to make some compromise on the end result.

One warning though, iTunes on Windows will reset the media folder after being updated. Music might not have that problem, but I’d keep it in mind if you do end up messing with that.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

nitsuga posted:

That’s progress.

I think with some combination of settings from that pane, you could get what you want. Maybe change the media folder but opt to organize it still. It’s that or having to make some compromise on the end result.

One warning though, iTunes on Windows will reset the media folder after being updated. Music might not have that problem, but I’d keep it in mind if you do end up messing with that.

Windows? Pssht. :v:

Anyway, thanks. I'd thought about unchecking that, but it just didn't make any sense that I'd have to.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
Phone posting but possibly relevant:

https://mastodon.social/@waldoj/111559356978369008

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

Oh yes, quite relevant!

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
I'm just gonna assume it's some mismanaged to hell Eddie Cue bullshit

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Binary Badger posted:

Like anyone cares, Apple did a rare Monday software update release..

:siren: Apple has released new macOS updates :siren:

For anybody who was doing testing with the beta, 14.2 RC2 (build 23C64) is exactly the same as the release build.

Do you know how long it typically takes for Apple to release new installers after new updates are released?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Is there a method to open Safari directly in Private mode? I use it pretty regularly to pop open news articles to avoid rate limiting and so on so it would be nice to just go there directly from spotlight/alfred and skip the step of having to open regular safari first. God I wish Reeder would let you muck about with the internal browser/viewer it uses so I could just do it all in once place.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

This guy found a way a couple of years ago but it’s sort of invasive. If you can point your reader at a custom command line for the browser then you don’t need to mask off the real Safari and break who knows what

https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/416297/open-an-url-in-safari-with-private-browsing

Warbird
May 23, 2012

That doesn't look too bad but eh. I may see about setting up an Alfred automation or whatever they call it to pop open a Firefox private instance then. I dropped an email to Reeder's dev for advice on the matter but iirc they're the one dev I've never gotten a response from now that Carrot's guy/gal got back to me.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Splinter posted:

Do you know how long it typically takes for Apple to release new installers after new updates are released?

Sometimes only hours, go look on

https://mrmacintosh.com

The 14.2 final installer is already available.

ktonastya
Aug 23, 2006

I'm afraid I just "blue" myself

Does this work for you to set private as default?

https://allaboutcookies.org/private-browsing-safari#how-to-set-safari-private-browsing-as-default

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Oh interesting, I’ll have to take a look at that. Thanks for the info.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
Very annoying issue since I updated to 14.2, anyone else?

The Messages app is showing a phantom unread message.

I can get rid of it by quitting the app, removing it from the Dock and opening it again, but as soon as I get a new message the unread count changes to 2 and gets stuck at 1 after I read the only real message.

iPhone is updated and normal, not showing anything unread and all the messages are synced properly.