Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I don't have the money or space for a propane grill, it'd wind up being a charcoal grill station at a public beach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

You can use pans on a barbecue if you want to cook something and not have it filled with the delicious summery taste of being barbecued

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Unless you're adding hickory chips or something I don't think something over charcoal smells like 'smoke'

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.

RandomPauI posted:

I hate the smell and taste of smoke but want to throw a barbeque this summer. Would it be possible to cook something on a charcoal grill without it picking up a strong smokey taste?

Make your own foil papillote? They benefit from the high heat. Whole fish is great if you don't mind the effort involved in actually eating it.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
A couple of guests are driving arriving at my house tonight after a 10 hour car ride, and should be getting here around 8 or so. They'd like to be able to eat something after a long car drive, but don't want a sit down meal. I'm thinking of doing something like a small cheese platter (brie, some hard cheese, quince paste, nuts) with some crackers or a baguette or something. I want to have more vegetables available, but since olives and other pickled things won't be popular I'm not sure what to put out. Thoughts?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Mr. Wiggles posted:

A couple of guests are driving arriving at my house tonight after a 10 hour car ride, and should be getting here around 8 or so. They'd like to be able to eat something after a long car drive, but don't want a sit down meal. I'm thinking of doing something like a small cheese platter (brie, some hard cheese, quince paste, nuts) with some crackers or a baguette or something. I want to have more vegetables available, but since olives and other pickled things won't be popular I'm not sure what to put out. Thoughts?

Pickled things not popular? Uh... radishes and butter and salt?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Crudités are p basic, but they're popular for a reason. Not a lot of people would say no to peapods, carrots, celery sticks, cherry tomatoes, etc.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Mr. Wiggles posted:

With my cheese plates I almost always serve broiled asparagus tossed with oil, salt, pepper before going under the broiler, then pull and toss with lemon juice after they start to char. The bitterness and acidity cut through even the creamiest of cheeses.

Asparagus is also finger food. Change my mind (you won't).

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

Personally I'd make hummus or baba ganoush and set that out with pita chips, carrots, peas, etc. Set out some dried figs and dates too.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

baba ganoush is my all-time favourite dip, and it even trumps my love for hummus. if I made a 10hr drive and someone had that ready and waiting for me, it'd be hard not to fall in love with them.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Twobirds posted:

Make your own foil papillote? They benefit from the high heat. Whole fish is great if you don't mind the effort involved in actually eating it.

This is actually a pro suggestion. In Cub Scouts we used to do whole meals in foil all the time, just stuff your foil packet next to some coals for some time, maybe turn it once or twice, easy as can be. No barbecue flavor unless you have a catastrophic structural failure :v:

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Boquerones, artichokes and (heavily salted) tomatoes always go down well when we do these sorts of cold collations

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Currently defrosting a bunch of chicken thighs. Any suggestions to something simple-ish to make? I usually like rubs (lemon pepper, Italian or Mediterranean) and just baking them, but I'm open to any other suggestions.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

obi_ant posted:

Currently defrosting a bunch of chicken thighs. Any suggestions to something simple-ish to make? I usually like rubs (lemon pepper, Italian or Mediterranean) and just baking them, but I'm open to any other suggestions.

It's almost summer, make bbq thighs

Poach, remove, pat dry, place on pan, apply bbq sauce, stick in 350 oven for 5 minutes, allow to cool, nom.

Or, yknow, grill.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

obi_ant posted:

Get all of your vaguely Indian spices, mix them together with a bit of yoghurt and lemon juice, and smear liberally all over your thighs

I guess you could roast the chicken or something

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

obi_ant posted:

Mash half a peach with some molasses, liquid smoke, habanero, paprika, and pepper, then cook it a little bit and use it like bbq sauce. You might want to add some starch for consistency, and of course a little yogurt and lemon's always nice.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

obi_ant posted:

Defrost, dry, salt and pepper. Heat oven to about 425F / 220C. Stick thighs skin side down in a medium-hot pan and just let cook. The fat will render out and the skin crisp up. Throw over some fresh herbs, the harder kind. Thyme, Rosemary, Marjoram, Savoury. Whatever's good. Get handfuls of soft herbs ready. Whatever's good. Chervil, Parsley, Sage, Cilantro, Basil. Mince up some garlic too. Throw in pan and turn the thighs., If they're ready they'll release from the pan without a struggle. Put pan in oven for a few minutes, until the temp registers 165F / 70C. Let rest.

Serve on ricotta smeared toast with some toasted pine nuts and a roquet salad with a vinaigrette. Use the rendered fat in the vinaigrette.

Or

Serve with Ratatouille and some cous cous / grains like farro or spelt cooked in chicken stock.

Or

Chop up and serve in a fresh buttered roll with spring onions.

Or

On a parsnip anise puree with honey mustard roast carrots.

Or chop up and serve in a grilled pita with garlic mayo, chilli sauce, cucumber, tomato, pickled jalapeno, mint and cilantro.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Good suggestions all, thank you.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
I bought a package of organic firm tofu today and when I got home I realized there was a tear in the package, big enough that a fair amount of liquid spilled out. How can do you know when tofu goes bad?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Human Tornada posted:

I bought a package of organic firm tofu today and when I got home I realized there was a tear in the package, big enough that a fair amount of liquid spilled out. How can do you know when tofu goes bad?

You can smell it.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Hauki posted:

You can smell it.

Is it like meat where it's obvious if it's gone bad?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Yeah, it’s pure protein. It’ll let you know when it’s not good to eat.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

nwin posted:

Speaking of flank steak, I have two pounds thawing in the fridge that I bought from Trader Joe’s.

1) what temp to cook at?
2) any marinade necessary?

I was thinking medium rare with a olive oil/salt/pepper marinade for 24 hours but am open to suggestions.

these are so good:

https://www.seriouseats.com/2014/05/the-food-lab-how-to-make-grilled-stuffed-flank-steak-pinwheels.html

wormil posted:

Why do people put oil in marinade? I assume the idea is to bring out oil soluble flavors but olive oil (most recipes) turns solid in the fridge anyway. I generally do salt, sweet, vinegar or alcohol, and then probably another liquid (soy sauce, fish sauce, bbq, mustard, chipotle). But I don't use oil.

old article but prob still relevant:

quote:

Oil is often a primary ingredient in marinades. Many aromatic compounds, such as those found in garlic, are soluble in oil but not in water. The oil will help spread these flavors evenly across the surface of the meat, as well as lubricating and protecting the meat when it first hits the grill.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

so I recently discovered that 1tsp of Maldon salt (6g) is basically the RDA of sodium. this is really disappointing, cause I love salt and I put it in everything, but now I've come to the horrible realization that 1tsp as a limit is just far too little to make food pop. are low sodium salt options a good substitute, or is it not the same? hell, I put a single teaspoon of salt in rice I cook, and I can eat a batch of rice in a day if I'm really hungry, but usually over two days. and then I've got salt in the actual dishes I cook, how on earth are you meant to stay within the daily guidelines for sodium? seems like a lesson in futility.

hell, I'm thinking of cutting salt out of my diet, but food doesn't even taste good without it. will I eventually adapt or?

Qubee fucked around with this message at 23:57 on May 15, 2018

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Are you actually weighing out 1 tsp of Maldon? A tsp is bigger than most people think, and 1 tsp of Maldon will have a lot less sodium than 1 tsp of kosher or table salt for obvious reasons. If you're putting an actual 1 tsp of table salt in a batch of rice, that is a ton of salt unless your batches are enormous.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Low sodium salt uses potassium instead of sodium and it's bitter.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Anne Whateley posted:

Are you actually weighing out 1 tsp of Maldon? A tsp is bigger than most people think, and 1 tsp of Maldon will have a lot less sodium than 1 tsp of kosher or table salt for obvious reasons. If you're putting an actual 1 tsp of table salt in a batch of rice, that is a ton of salt unless your batches are enormous.

yeah I went and weighed it because MyFitnessPal app was telling me I'd exceeded my RDA of salt from 1tsp and I thought someone had uploaded the nutritional info wrong, so I changed the measurement from 1tsp to 6g (which is what my teaspoon measured) and was shocked when it still came back as "this poo poo gonna rupture your arteries due to blood pressure increase".

my batches of rice are like 400g of uncooked, so it's a pretty drat big batch.

Steve Yun posted:

Low sodium salt uses potassium instead of sodium and it's bitter.

that sucks, I'm just gonna drastically lower my salt intake. no loving wonder my blood pressure is always so disgustingly high.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Qubee posted:

so I recently discovered that 1tsp of Maldon salt (6g) is basically the RDA of sodium. this is really disappointing, cause I love salt and I put it in everything, but now I've come to the horrible realization that 1tsp as a limit is just far too little to make food pop. are low sodium salt options a good substitute, or is it not the same? hell, I put a single teaspoon of salt in rice I cook, and I can eat a batch of rice in a day if I'm really hungry, but usually over two days. and then I've got salt in the actual dishes I cook, how on earth are you meant to stay within the daily guidelines for sodium? seems like a lesson in futility.

hell, I'm thinking of cutting salt out of my diet, but food doesn't even taste good without it. will I eventually adapt or?

You're using a ton of salt, on a big batch of rice(10 cups cooked) I just use a pinch of kosher salt, somewhere between a 1/4 tsp and 1/3 tsp by volume and kosher salt is much less dense than table salt.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Dope everything with spices instead.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
That's a ton of rice too. 400g looks like almost 2 cups raw? For white rice that's 6 cups cooked. And you're eating that much in one day, maybe two?

I don't know if you center everything around rice like some Asian cuisines? I don't, but I have ~150g cooked brown rice for lunch (with chicken breast and spinach) and I think that's a pretty generous portion.

But also if 1 tsp of Maldon weighs 6 grams, something is weird...

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I'm a rice fiend, grew up eating it and it's just something that really fills me up and I'm Middle-Eastern so I grew up on it. I'll make a curry and eat it with rice, then refrigerate what I don't use and have it the next day. I typically get through the batch in two days, especially if I make egg-fried rice for breakfast.

1 tsp (not even heaped) genuinely weighed 6g, I used my kitchen scales cause I was genuinely blown away by the fact I was easily exceeding my RDA of sodium and I had a sort of stars aligning moment and it made me realise why my blood pressure is always sky high.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

a level teaspoon of diamond crystal kosher (which has a smaller structure) barely weighed 3.7g for me

how are you measuring the tsp of maldon, and with what device(s)?

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
We're celebrating my kid's first birthday this weekend! But I am having a lot of trouble finding a sugar free cake recipe that she'll eat.

These are the two I've tried so far:
https://mykidslickthebowl.com/baby-led-weaning-muffins-apple-banana-carrot/
https://www.raisingsugarfreekids.com/sugar-sweetener-free-birthday-cake/

She will not eat either of them :sigh: I have a sneaking suspicion it's the banana she doesn't like, since she happily munches on apples and carrots all the time (she does eat banana but is weirdly inconsistent with it and we haven't figured out the pattern).

Anything sweet potato gets devoured so I was thinking of a sweet potato, pear and carrot cake? I can't find any recipes out there that are actually sugar free though, all of them have some form of sugar alternative.

I was thinking just to follow the ABC muffin recipe, substituting mashed sweet potato for the banana and pear for the apple. Will this mess up proportions in some way that I don't know?

Other suggestions for sugar free cakes also welcome!

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

What is the reason for the restriction on sugar? Are you able to sweeten with honey/agave/golden syrup?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Scientastic posted:

Get all of your vaguely Indian spices, mix them together with a bit of yoghurt and lemon juice, and smear liberally all over your thighs

I guess you could roast the chicken or something
Good timing, I'm planning on something like this this weekend but realized too late I can't use dairy, think that's gonna be a problem if I do an onion/ginger/garlic/spice paste?

Actually what's altogether the best way to prepare thighs if they're just supposed to be shredded and go into a curry sauce the next day? Bone in or out, skin on or off...?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Qubee posted:

I'm a rice fiend, grew up eating it and it's just something that really fills me up and I'm Middle-Eastern so I grew up on it. I'll make a curry and eat it with rice, then refrigerate what I don't use and have it the next day. I typically get through the batch in two days, especially if I make egg-fried rice for breakfast.

1 tsp (not even heaped) genuinely weighed 6g, I used my kitchen scales cause I was genuinely blown away by the fact I was easily exceeding my RDA of sodium and I had a sort of stars aligning moment and it made me realise why my blood pressure is always sky high.

You keep mentioning your RDA of sodium, but you never mentioned if you actually have a health problem like hypertension that necessitates you stick to it. If you don't, going well over your sodium RDA is totally fine.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Just drink more water

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Doom Rooster posted:

You keep mentioning your RDA of sodium, but you never mentioned if you actually have a health problem like hypertension that necessitates you stick to it. If you don't, going well over your sodium RDA is totally fine.

Qubee posted:

no loving wonder my blood pressure is always so disgustingly high.

Qubee posted:

it made me realise why my blood pressure is always sky high.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Ahaaaaaaaaaaa. Missed that!

As an actual tip, a splash of vinegar and other acids like lemon juice are a great way to make up for some lack of salt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Scientastic posted:

What is the reason for the restriction on sugar? Are you able to sweeten with honey/agave/golden syrup?

WHO recommendation is free sugars should be <10%, with potentially more benefits for <5%:
http://www.who.int/nutrition/publications/guidelines/sugars_intake/en/

I think this translates to roughly about 2 teaspoons/day for a 1 year old, which really isn't much at all. We do baby-led weaning so she eats what we eat (made with no added salt or sugar) and she is still breastfeeding. Honey was on the list of banned foods before 12 months to avoid the risk of infant botulism, so I suppose I could use it but I'd rather stick to naturally occurring sugars in fruit and vegetables.

Also I don't want to get her accustomed to sugar, especially with the addictive potential. Baby wrangling is hard enough on its own, I don't need to add bouncing off the walls sugar high to the mix!