Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

FAUXTON posted:

How often did your guys up and return daggers to the master of arms or the quartermaster or whoever?
this is personal weapons, which is up to you, not your muskets and pikes

now, in the cavalry, I have a muster roll full of arquebusiers zu pferd who need to get new guns and in one case a bandolier, and in the margins next to their names, in the tiniest, most delicate writing, it says "Soll anderer röhre schaffen" (to get or arrange), so it's possible the light cav was expected to also handle their own carbines. But the notes may also have been intended for the quartermasters, so...

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Jun 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad

Throatwarbler posted:

Historically wouldn't the ancient dyes have faded quickly with weather and travel, and everyone on campaign ends up wearing faded grey or brown? That was something said about even the Napoleonic era uniforms, they may have been intended to look bright red or green when they left the mill but mostly just looked grey or brown after some wear.

No. Scots were known to wear saffron yellow tunics, and that is a bright yellow. Maybe they dyed them frequently (though that seems implausible), maybe they used a dye or mordant lost to us. Indigo blues were prized because of their light fastness, and madder red is also very good.

Edit: the transition from wool to cotton also doesn't help. Wool holds color much better.

Rodrigo Diaz fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Jun 26, 2016

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
it depends on the dye, my logwood reenacting jacket has been losing color like gently caress but my pants, which were dyed with walnut hulls, are only somewhat faded

i look like poo poo, but at least i look like authentic poo poo lol

edit: also you're not supposed to wash your outer clothing ever, so the turned back cuffs of my jacket that used to be white linen...aren't

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Jun 26, 2016

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

HEY GAL posted:

i look like poo poo, but at least i look like authentic poo poo lol

That's not because of the dye

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

That's not because of the dye
the weapons are in perfect working order though, come try me and see :ese:

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

HEY GAL posted:

the weapons are in perfect working order though, come try me and see :ese:

I'll just yell "I think your dagger is too long!" and gub you while you're inspecting it.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

I'll just yell "I think your dagger is too long!" and gub you while you're inspecting it.
Stabbed In The Kneecaps By My Own Anxiety About Swords: Chuck Tingle Presents: The Hegel Story

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

HEY GAL posted:

Stabbed In The Kneecaps By My Own Anxiety About Swords: Chuck Tingle Presents: The Hegel Story

JK Rowling would buy it

https://twitter.com/jk_rowling/status/746989084741083138

vvv Writing the first day on the Somme now. I'm just crossing the Albert-Bapaume road. You ain't seen nothing yet. vvv

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Jun 26, 2016

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Disinterested posted:

Because they fight wars constantly against people with all kinds of designs, and experience a great deal of trial and error?

It's kinda extremely uncool to think about how the however many percent of changes to armor design that weren't about "how cheap can we make this" were about "oh wow a lot of guys are getting their (body part) hosed up, can we do something about that".

I appreciated the dye talk, I've wondered a couple times in GoT to what degree things being this brown was historical, or how we imagine the period, or an attempt to create a specific atmosphere for places for viewer orientation sake. I seem to recall that there are these fads in computer games where the graphics design swerves from technicolor and garish to "throw a brown filter over everything to make it gritty" and back.

Also man, that latest WW1 update was horrible.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Ulrich Von Hohensax wore only the best:

(At the Zürich museum)

Are there any cool military history museums around Munich?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

aphid_licker posted:

It's kinda extremely uncool to think about how the however many percent of changes to armor design that weren't about "how cheap can we make this" were about "oh wow a lot of guys are getting their (body part) hosed up, can we do something about that".

Don't worry, that's actually really common. Among other things how do you think we figured out how to run a carrier as a warship?

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

FAT CURES MUSCLES posted:

Ulrich Von Hohensax wore only the best:

(At the Zürich museum)

They really liked emphasizing the D...

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Armyman25 posted:

thrusting weapons are very important during the time period

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

quote:

The morning of 28 May, the Enterprise disembarked her aviators and prepared to get under way. The flyers checked in at the Ford Island field; then those off duty spent a pleasant interlude around the pool. Meanwhile their Hornet counterparts smarted under their enforced isolation at Ewa. Moreover, their separation from the bars of Honolulu had not dampened their enthusiasm for drinking. In the officer's club the pilots of Torpedo Eight concocted a drink known as the "Barber's Point cocktail," and it was deadly. Shortly after sunrise on 28 May, VT-8's skipper, John Waldron, tenderly woke his charges (and likely the rest of the base) by firing a full magazine from his .45-caliber pistol out through the barracks door.

War. War never changes.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Armyman25 posted:

He and Henry VIII would have been good friends

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

FAT CURES MUSCLES posted:

The Deutsches Museum has the original German U-boat in the basement. It's worth visiting for that alone.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
crossposting

HEY GAL posted:

so, as of the late 19th century at least one spaniard was not only still duelling with goddamn sail-hilted left-hand daggers, but he or she commissioned at least two of them with 21 inch long blades that might have been adapted from a model 1886 French Lebel bayonet.
http://www.cutandparry.com/Daggers.html
first entry on this page

whenever i see some weapons related thing that's really well made but also 100% mentally insane, it is usually spanish

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Ainsley McTree posted:

Is that a loving coat of arms on his codpiece?

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jun 26, 2016

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

The Deutsches Museum has the original German U-boat in the basement. It's worth visiting for that alone.

As of when I was there in May it and most of the other cool poo poo was in storage.

This wasn't mentioned on the website and I was super disappointed.

Really not worth it right now. Highly disagree with recommending it.

They did have an honest to gently caress Enigma though and that was pretty cool.

(I never posted pics because it was lame and I'm the worst photographer ever.)

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Hazzard posted:

Is there any technological link to helmets? Like, could Rome have hypothetically invented the morion and then that be the standard helmet instead of the Gallic Helm?

Until an advanced understanding of physics comes in, I don't see how anyone would decide one helmet was better than another.

Absolutely. I don't know if there was any technological reason Roman's couldn't have produced helmets that looked like the Morion, but technology of the era did constrain the form of armor like helmets. Interestingly the gallic or Imperial helmets were replaced by Ridge helmets sometime around Diocletian's reforms of the army and economy. The bowl of these helmets were made from two to four strips of metal riveted together rather than the single piece as in the Gallic designs, a change that simplified production and made them ideal for the new imperial factories which supplied the late Roman military, though I doubt rivets were great for their structural integrity.

Also I definitely remember reading that the Moro armor is based on equipment brought by Muslim traders from India/Persia, EXCEPT for the helmets, which coincidentally are derived from Spanish crested morions.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Ainsley McTree posted:

They could sword fight!

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Xiahou Dun posted:

As of when I was there in May it and most of the other cool poo poo was in storage.

They did have an honest to gently caress Enigma though and that was pretty cool.

That's... disappointing.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

aphid_licker posted:

I appreciated the dye talk, I've wondered a couple times in GoT to what degree things being this brown was historical, or how we imagine the period, or an attempt to create a specific atmosphere for places for viewer orientation sake. I seem to recall that there are these fads in computer games where the graphics design swerves from technicolor and garish to "throw a brown filter over everything to make it gritty" and back.

Yeah I was gonna say I think that's in our culture not theirs. Sometime in the 90s i think the Prince of Thieves aesthetic parts ways with the Men in Tights one, and maybe that mirrors larger changes in the culture where like grunge bands and gangster rappers are wearing street clothes on stage instead of the oddly landsknechtisch costumes of the glam era. Game of Thrones isn't set in a real time or place anyway, it's 100% about how we imagine that stuff relative to ourselves

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

That's... disappointing.

There were a couple reproduction planes that were okay I guess? (Most were mothballed but they had some WWI era stuff ; my uncle, who's a pilot, was super disappointed. )

They also have a mining exhibit that might look cool but goes on way too long. Like Mines of Moria O gently caress How Am I Not Done Yet long. Same uncle and me ended up abandoning everyone else and speed-walking the rest after 20+ minutes (that still took most of an hour! gently caress!), shouting in German, "It's a loving hole! We got it! You dug a thing! gently caress!"

And I didn't even mention waiting an hour in the rain to get it.

Seriously. Don't go until they finish construction.

gently caress.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

The style of armor with plates suspended in mail is called mirror armor .

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

EvanSchenck posted:

Previously I've seen some analysis of Game of Thrones costuming and such, it's kind of interesting. For example, Stannis Baratheon wore this armor:

It's a mail shirt with plate components, but if you look closely you can see that the plate is incorporated directly into the mail. The edges of the plates have holes drilled so the rings loop right into them, as opposed to most kinds of plate which were separate pieces worn over a hauberk. Nobody else on the show wears anything like it, and it isn't really a recognizable historical European type. The costume department actually based it on armor worn by the Moro people of the Philippines:

Which is obviously a bad choice coming from the direction of full historical accuracy. On the other hand, it's still functional as armor and importantly for a TV show it's visually distinctive and interesting to look at. They also play around with some visual shorthand. e.g. for Jon Snow, his narrative arc for this season has also involved a wardrobe change. Previously he wore this kind of crude-looking breastplate and pauldrons, probably munitions-grade stuff from the Night's Watch armory, but with season 6 he started wearing the same sort of coat of plate as Eddard Stark wore in Season 1, and Robb Stark wore under his partial harness of plate. So he's back fighting for his family, wearing his family armor. I would definitely agree that the costume department picked the morion-type helmet deliberately to make the Bolton troops look like the hated Spaniards. There are reasons for all that stuff.

I find the whole thing with leather in medieval/fantasy visual arts kind of fascinating, because draping everybody in leather is now the standard way to show that you are a period film set in the middle ages or some facsimile thereof. You also consistently see a color palette for clothing and armor that ranges from black to dark brown. Whereas in actuality, I believe leather was used almost exclusive for footwear and accessories, and as you're fond of noting everybody dressed as colorfully as possible at all times. I honestly wonder where these conventions began? You can jump back to stuff like the 1938 Adventures of Robin Hood (the Errol Flynn one) and, okay, everybody is wearing leather (suede?) jerkins over their clothes, but most of their clothes are really loud colors--lively greens, reds, blues, etc. Look at these fancy lads:

I think the main reason for those costuming choices was to take advantage of filming in Technicolor, but intentionally or not they got closer to a medieval person's idea of a good wardrobe than any recent movie I can think of.

edit: talking specifically about color, there, not the cut and style of the clothes themselves

This is a pretty drat good concept now, just looking at the design of fantasy armour and guessing a)what inspired it and b)would it hold up to ~real life~. I'd happily read more about these covering weapons and armour now.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I just hope Landskechts become the hot new thing. It'll just take one groundbreaking HBO show to get the ball rolling...

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

swamp waste posted:

Yeah I was gonna say I think that's in our culture not theirs.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

Ainsley McTree posted:

I just hope Landskechts become the hot new thing. It'll just take one groundbreaking HBO show to get the ball rolling...

If they made a 1632 tv series and you'll get your wish. muahauhah

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Chillyrabbit posted:

If they made a 1632 tv series and you'll get your wish. muahauhah

:allears: God, I wish HBO would. I'd be happy with a TL-191 miniseries too.

Bulgaroctonus
Dec 31, 2008

Armyman25 posted:

This reminds me as a kid when the '89 Batman came out, wondering why he had a big rear end target on his chest, and it was brought up that that was where his only armor was, which made sense. This is like, at minimum, asking for severe cock and or ball trauma, even if that poo poo that passed for spandex then was some kind of space age liquid Kevlar sci-fi material (what was it, anyway? And did people actually fight like that? Was it just for dueling, and cock bustin' was un-gentlemanly?). Also, that Henry VIII armor is really fuckin baller (heh), I've heard he was actually pretty athletic in his youth, but am only really familiar with the famous portrait of him looking like J. Edgar Hoover on a day off.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

This response is very mysterious to me but lol

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Xiahou Dun posted:

Super secret Pensacola, Florida location of Corry Station Navy base has a Intelligence museum with a Japanese-German Enigma machine and a German Enigma machine. You do need a military ID or a friend with one to get on base but it's open 9-5. Good luck finding it.

Has some odd items.

Also has art that's still topical to this day.

Crab Dad fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Jun 27, 2016

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Bulgaroctonus posted:

This reminds me as a kid when the '89 Batman came out, wondering why he had a big rear end target on his chest, and it was brought up that that was where his only armor was, which made sense. This is like, at minimum, asking for severe cock and or ball trauma, even if that poo poo that passed for spandex then was some kind of space age liquid Kevlar sci-fi material (what was it, anyway? And did people actually fight like that? Was it just for dueling, and cock bustin' was un-gentlemanly?). Also, that Henry VIII armor is really fuckin baller (heh), I've heard he was actually pretty athletic in his youth, but am only really familiar with the famous portrait of him looking like J. Edgar Hoover on a day off.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codpiece
it isn't skintight, there's a lot of fabric between the other guy's fist/sword/knife and your dilz

edit: if the codpiece is big enough and you're not carrying a purse, that's where the pocket change goes :haw:

edit 2: While I was looking around for more art by the art guy featured in that article, I found this. Remember when we were wondering about padded jerkins and mail in the early modern period? Check out this stylish, and well-protected, fellow:

And imagine the life he leads, where "I need body armor for daily wear but the ribbons on it should also match the feathers on my tiny, jauntily-tilted hat" is an important life consideration.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Jun 27, 2016

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
The crest on his helmet is obscenely fabulous as well. It's got what looks like a whole ostrich up there.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
i do not remember which goon called these people irresponsibly rad but it's one of the best descriptions for 16th and 17th century people I've heard

reminder that this woman existed
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julie_d%27Aubigny

edit: the 16th and 17th centuries sucked, but the people owned as hell

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Jun 27, 2016

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Xiahou Dun posted:

Bletchley Park has one of those (actually several I think) and a poo poo-ton of other cool stuff (also the National Museum of Computing) if you're into nerdy stuff. :sun:

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Can someone explain how in 1810 the Swedes decided to elect a French general to be their crown prince? What sort of moon logic was involved there?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

HEY GAL posted:

i do not remember which goon called these people irresponsibly rad but it's one of the best descriptions for 16th and 17th century people I've heard

reminder that this woman existed
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julie_d%27Aubigny

edit: the 16th and 17th centuries sucked, but the people owned as hell

Sounds like a me thing to say. Did you catch that bit I quoted a few posts back about a WWII carrier bomber pilot getting hammered and firing a whole magazine out the door, incidentally? Some things just don't change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

xthetenth posted:

Sounds like a me thing to say. Did you catch that bit I quoted a few posts back about a WWII carrier bomber pilot getting hammered and firing a whole magazine out the door, incidentally? Some things just don't change.
once you explain to hieronymus sebastian schutze what a plane is and why you should fly one off a boat, he'll thumbs-up this story

• Locked thread