Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

So for the next 6 weeks I'm going to be in night classes 4 days a week, which will put my wife and I on opposite schedules for dinner. I usually have to leave for class by 5:30 each night, and she gets home from work between 5 and 5:30.

I'm looking for any kind of recipes that can I can make and eat, and then she can eat a little later. I'll probably plan on eating dinner around 5 and she'll eat around 5:30/6. On days she gets home early enough, I'll just grill something or sear something quickly that we can both eat at the same time, but her schedule isn't stable enough to predict which days I can plan on grilling steak, etc.

We tried a crockpot recipe this week, and it honestly just sucked. I think that's more a failure of the recipe I picked than the crockpot itself, but still. We're also not looking to heat up the kitchen as summer is starting. To add one more wrench into the mix, she's pregnant, so no cold cuts, rare meat, etc., and I'm trying to take the brunt of the cooking chores so she doesn't have to deal with that when she gets home after work.

Any ideas? One is to prep some kind of salad and then she can just add whatever protein she wants to it (grilled chicken that's already been made, etc)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

this is a food thread so I figured this is the best place to post it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iigDXgdKkuI

these types of videos are so therapeutic, figured you guys would appreciate it

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

My restaurant just does brunch on Sundays, and a whole different menu than the rest of the week. So many things that've been prep cooked and didn't get used, we can take home.

I ended up with 2 pounds of already sautéed mushrooms (just shy of a kilo, for my metric friends) because the omelette using them didn't sell as well as anticipated so we way over-prepped. More for me, I loving love mushrooms.

Quiche and omelettes are in my future, as a have a dozen eggs in my fridge right now. Any other suggestions?

I'm broke as gently caress until I get paid Friday, so I'm working with your basic pantry/fridge staples like eggs, milk, butter, bread, rice, etc. I do have a baller spice collection, and a bunch of TVP. Was maybe thinking of some sort of vegetarian meatloaf thing? Cook the TVP, mash in a fuckton of mushrooms, then bake in the oven. (I'm not vegetarian, I just really like TVP for some reason)

Qubee posted:

this is a food thread so I figured this is the best place to post it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iigDXgdKkuI

these types of videos are so therapeutic, figured you guys would appreciate it

I love this guy's channel, it's def pro-click. Culinary equivalent of watching Bob Ross.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

JacquelineDempsey posted:

My restaurant just does brunch on Sundays, and a whole different menu than the rest of the week. So many things that've been prep cooked and didn't get used, we can take home.

I ended up with 2 pounds of already sautéed mushrooms (just shy of a kilo, for my metric friends) because the omelette using them didn't sell as well as anticipated so we way over-prepped. More for me, I loving love mushrooms.

Quiche and omelettes are in my future, as a have a dozen eggs in my fridge right now. Any other suggestions?

I'm broke as gently caress until I get paid Friday, so I'm working with your basic pantry/fridge staples like eggs, milk, butter, bread, rice, etc. I do have a baller spice collection, and a bunch of TVP. Was maybe thinking of some sort of vegetarian meatloaf thing? Cook the TVP, mash in a fuckton of mushrooms, then bake in the oven. (I'm not vegetarian, I just really like TVP for some reason)

I love this guy's channel, it's def pro-click. Culinary equivalent of watching Bob Ross.

Maybe like a "shepherd's pie" type preparation? Savory filling of mushrooms + TVP and then topped with potatoes. You'll probably want some kind of gravy-like sauce, not sure of the best way to achieve that.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Eeyo posted:

Maybe like a "shepherd's pie" type preparation? Savory filling of mushrooms + TVP and then topped with potatoes. You'll probably want some kind of gravy-like sauce, not sure of the best way to achieve that.

That is a wonderful idea, especially since I have both a pint of smashed red potatoes left from brunch and a bit of instant mashed potato flakes to stretch those out if need be. Plus my husband brought home some green beans and tomatoes that were deemed too ugly to sell at his store, but are perfect for a casserole type thing. Thanks for the idea!

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010
Newbie question time!

I've made this curry a couple of times. The curry tastes great, but even after more than two hours the beef is really not tender at all - it's dry and chewy. Any idea what I might be doing wrong? Should I try a different cut, or somehow treat it differently than the recipe asks for?

I'm not a very experienced cook so no answer is too obvious :)

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Cooking tough cuts like chuck based on time is futile. Notice the recipe says 1:45 or until tender. You should have kept it on the burner longer.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

King Pawn posted:

Newbie question time!

I've made this curry a couple of times. The curry tastes great, but even after more than two hours the beef is really not tender at all - it's dry and chewy. Any idea what I might be doing wrong? Should I try a different cut, or somehow treat it differently than the recipe asks for?

You might want to leave out the beef till the last 15 minutes of cooking. Indian norms for what 'cooked' means when it comes to meat vary wildly from the US. They are the kings of stewing the hell out of things.

Or, substitute in beef heart. The cut you have to cook either two minutes, or two hours. Heart is the best stewing cut I have ever worked with.

Casu Marzu posted:

Cooking tough cuts like chuck based on time is futile. Notice the recipe says 1:45 or until tender. You should have kept it on the burner longer.

In my experience making chilli, beef chuck gets stringy after like 20- 30 minutes. Heart is a fantastic all day stewer.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 14:05 on May 21, 2018

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

e: whoops thought this was the general chat thread. Uhh question: do you agree that this is funny?

Guys only 18 days left to order!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00t50uHS68k
$338 $269 for a spicebot, and you'll never guess the answer to the FAQ "Can I load my own spices in the pods?"

I'm the non sequitur "vegan" in the url: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/tastetro-spice-system-vegan#/

BrianBoitano fucked around with this message at 17:59 on May 21, 2018

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
There’s a lot of dumb kitchen gadgets out there for people with more money than sense, but that’s gotta be in the top five worst

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

King Pawn posted:

Newbie question time!

Main reasons beef gets dry and stringy is cooking it at too high a heat for too long.

When a recipe says 'turn down to medium', that's pretty useless. Set any of of the burners on my stove to medium, even the tiny one, and it will bring a pot of liquid to a boil. And boiling beef for two hours is certain to dry it out. Rather than reduce to medium, bring it to a simmer and then turn it down. Slow and low isn't just for oven cooking, it's best for stewing too.

After that, start checking for tenderness after around perhaps an hour. Even 45 minutes. There's so much variety in how ingredients behave that the timing of a recipe can be a very broad guideline. You can't make dry meat moist, only stop it getting to the point of dying. And tenderness doesn't mean fall apart like pulled pork. Not everything should dissolve in the mouth. If it's chewable (not chewy), it tastes good and it's moist, it's good.

(as an aide to all this, I sear off stewing meat in large chunks before cubing. Get the caramalisation without hastening the cooking)

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
lol wtf. What problem is this actually trying to solve? I... I just I don't even know what to say about it.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

sterster posted:

lol wtf. What problem is this actually trying to solve? I... I just I don't even know what to say about it.

The problem of having too much money combined with not knowing how to cook.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Suspect Bucket posted:

You might want to leave out the beef till the last 15 minutes of cooking. Indian norms for what 'cooked' means when it comes to meat vary wildly from the US. They are the kings of stewing the hell out of things.

Or, substitute in beef heart. The cut you have to cook either two minutes, or two hours. Heart is the best stewing cut I have ever worked with.

In my experience making chilli, beef chuck gets stringy after like 20- 30 minutes. Heart is a fantastic all day stewer.

I've never had that issue with chuck

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

The problem of having too much money combined with not knowing how to cook.

Also, too much counter space

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

How do I make super crispy drumsticks in the oven? I have a lemon pepper dry rub I wanted to use and I'm thinking super crispy is the way to go.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

obi_ant posted:

How do I make super crispy drumsticks in the oven? I have a lemon pepper dry rub I wanted to use and I'm thinking super crispy is the way to go.
dry them out first before applying the rub. dry skin before cooking = crispy skin after cooking

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

camoseven posted:

Theres a lot of dumb kitchen gadgets out there for people with more money than sense, but thats gotta be in the top five worst

It's certainly up there with the Juicero.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Elizabethan Error posted:

dry them out first before applying the rub. dry skin before cooking = crispy skin after cooking

How dry are we talking about? I typically dab with paper towel until no liquid is visible on the towel anymore. Then I usually do like... 20 min @ 400. Crisper... but not like it's fried or anything.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

obi_ant posted:

How dry are we talking about? I typically dab with paper towel until no liquid is visible on the towel anymore. Then I usually do like... 20 min @ 400. Crisper... but not like it's fried or anything.

salt them and let them sit in the fridge on a sheet tray uncovered overnight/for a few hours

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Hauki posted:

salt them and let them sit in the fridge on a sheet tray uncovered overnight/for a few hours

Just to be clear, pat dry then salt them?

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

obi_ant posted:

if you don't want to brine them, yah. you're aiming for very little water in the skin so the fat can render out and crisp the skin. echoing what Hauki said, at least a few hours with the skin coated in salt(what you don't wipe off will fall off during cooking)

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

obi_ant posted:

You can also preheat your metal sheet pan in the oven and put your chicken skin-side down (oil the chicken or the pan first) then roast. It’ll cook quickly so be careful. Flip if they get too cooked on the skin side before the insides are done.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

obi_ant posted:

Yeah, the salt is just to draw out more moisture

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

DO YOU KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT MEAT GRINDERS?

If so, please respond to this post in the Kitchen Equipment thread asap.

Normally I wouldn’t resort to going to a different thread to ask people to respond to a post, cuz that’s a jackass move, but that thread moves pretty slow and I need to buy this thing in like a day or two so I can get it by Memorial Day.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I got 100 lbs of free white onions. I can chop and freeze some, make onion soup. Use a few. No idea what to do with the other 90 lbs. Ideas?

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Make a huge batch of carmelized onions and freeze them in portions.

Make a cheesy onion gratin.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Onion chutney, South African onion tomato relish, onion curry. Seconding a huge batch of caramelized onions, but I'd freeze them on a sheet pan and break into slabs to store. If you really can't use them all (and 100# is a lot), donate them to a food pantry!

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Onion jam. If you store 'em right they should last a while, though, so maybe just make lots of onion heavy recipes (like mujadarra) and you'll go through them faster than you realize.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
How can I store them? I don't have a basement and the house is reeking of onions.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I mean, the ideal way would be in pantyhose in a nice dry place away from the sun (so like, a closet or whatever). But barring that, just keep them dry and separate. You'll get mold from moisture and from having them close to each other, or close to anything, really, so try to let them breathe. If you have a wire fruit bowl or anything like that, those are nice for storing onions.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I cut up 8lb and put in the freezer. Probably will donate about 50lb and keep the rest, share with neighbors.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

DO YOU KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT MEAT GRINDERS?

If so, please respond to this post in the Kitchen Equipment thread asap.

Normally I wouldn’t resort to going to a different thread to ask people to respond to a post, cuz that’s a jackass move, but that thread moves pretty slow and I need to buy this thing in like a day or two so I can get it by Memorial Day.

hobart makes a solid grinder, but like, i doubt you want to spend several grand on a dedicated piece of equipment because your kitchenaid isn't around so i'm not really sure what you're asking for there

Qubee
May 31, 2013

i've seen people use food processors as a meat grinder, you just throw the meat in and pulse, but it's not going to be the same consistency as properly ground meat.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Where did you get that many free onions?

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

nwin posted:

So for the next 6 weeks I'm going to be in night classes 4 days a week, which will put my wife and I on opposite schedules for dinner. I usually have to leave for class by 5:30 each night, and she gets home from work between 5 and 5:30.

I'm looking for any kind of recipes that can I can make and eat, and then she can eat a little later. I'll probably plan on eating dinner around 5 and she'll eat around 5:30/6. On days she gets home early enough, I'll just grill something or sear something quickly that we can both eat at the same time, but her schedule isn't stable enough to predict which days I can plan on grilling steak, etc.

We tried a crockpot recipe this week, and it honestly just sucked. I think that's more a failure of the recipe I picked than the crockpot itself, but still. We're also not looking to heat up the kitchen as summer is starting. To add one more wrench into the mix, she's pregnant, so no cold cuts, rare meat, etc., and I'm trying to take the brunt of the cooking chores so she doesn't have to deal with that when she gets home after work.

Any ideas? One is to prep some kind of salad and then she can just add whatever protein she wants to it (grilled chicken that's already been made, etc)

Contributing to make up for my earlier derail: not sure how draconian your doctor is being with the pregnancy dietary requirements, over here it's "heat everything up until it's steaming before you eat it". If you are at similar requirements, your options are kinda: 1) just deal with heating up the kitchen or 2) deal with having to microwave everything on high before she eats it. I avoided salads completely because salads you don't prep at home are banned and also there was a related contamination scare with packaged salads at one of the major supermarket chains. Even if you pre-grill a protein for her, she's still gonna need to nuke it before she eats it (again: steaming hot)

Anyway, instead of presenting more problems for you, here's a list of what I ate for dinner regularly when pregnant:
- steamed rice (we have a rice cooker, keeps it steaming hot for a long time on the "warm" setting)
- steamed fish/chicken/egg/tofu
- steamed or stir-fried vegetables (the time consuming part is washing/peeling/cutting, the actual cook time is very short), if you want to add protein, you can prep strips of chicken/beef/pork/whatever and marinate, then stir-fry this first before adding the vegetables
- stews/curries (keeps warm in slow cooker or pressure cooker)
- lasagne/pasta bakes/casseroles (cook in the oven and then leave it there while the oven's cooling down so it stays hot)
- steak/lamb (cooked to well done :cry: this was the worst, I like my red meats rare)
- soup noodles and dumplings (you can mostly pre-cook the noodles and pre-make the soup, so all she needs to do is to dump everything into one pot and bring to boil and done)
- soup (so much soup)

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Surely "steaming hot" can't be that blindly applied across the board? Or is she really not supposed to eat any fruit or raw vegetables for 9 months?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Anne Whateley posted:

Surely "steaming hot" can't be that blindly applied across the board? Or is she really not supposed to eat any fruit or raw vegetables for 9 months?

It just depends how high you want to crank the paranoia knob. Food time/temp safety charts don't suddenly go away because you're pregnant. Even the FDA doesn't ask for well done steaks for pregnant women: https://www.fda.gov/Food/ResourcesForYou/HealthEducators/ucm082294.htm

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

baquerd posted:

It just depends how high you want to crank the paranoia knob.

This. I had whole fruits but no pre-cut fruit and cooked all my vegetables. The risks should be low, but they can and do happen (and the related events said precautions were aimed at did happen while I was pregnant and weren't an issue for me because of how high the paranoia knob is cranked over here).

In the whole scheme of things 9 months (or 41 weeks if baby is late) was not all that long a time so I just dealt with it. Then I found out post birth that apparently I'm meant to maintain the same diet for as long as I'm breastfeeding. Yeah, I didn't stick to that one, other than no alcohol, since the risks were even lower. Rare steaks, sashimi, soft cheeses and smoked meats please, stat!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
I wasn't able to find a smoker thread (weird?) but I'm looking at picking up the Masterbuilt 20071117 30" Digital Electric Smoker via Ebay with a 15% off coupon ($145 shipped.) Reviews say it's a pretty good smoker, with one complaint being that if the ambient temp is above 80 degrees F, sometimes the heating element won't kick on (it appears there are workarounds for this though.)

Does anyone have one, and would they recommend it?