Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Angry Salami posted:

No, it just means 'cave-dweller'.

They were also a people, though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troglodytae

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Tunicate posted:

Didn't Columbus invent the 'predict an eclipse so people think you control the heavens' trick?

Nah that was Thales of Miletus, about 2000 years before.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eclipse_of_Thales

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Much later in history there were various versions of "tell some people that x grants magic protection from musket fire, then demonstrate by firing muskets without the ball loaded at someone with x"

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Bit of a tangent but I recall reading that belief in mystical protection against bullets is extraordinarily resilient given how easy it is to falsify.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Beefeater1980 posted:

Bit of a tangent but I recall reading that belief in mystical protection against bullets is extraordinarily resilient given how easy it is to falsify.

Look, the mystical protections work against bullets, just not against bullets going that fast.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Tulip posted:

I don't know the term for the general phenomena but "bugger" is my favorite example of an entire ethnonym becoming a non-ethnic insult.

yeah, cathars were believed to be from Bulgaria, and people thought they were into sodomy bc they were anti-natalist.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Beefeater1980 posted:

It was pretty significant in the Congo Wars, which given that was a war with tanks and bombers and MLRS and a lot of death, feels pretty incongruous.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I always figured that the mystical protection from bullets stuff had help from survivorship bias.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

CommonShore posted:

I always figured that the mystical protection from bullets stuff had help from survivorship bias.

Well yeah, it would have to.

“Guys I think this ghost dance thing is bullshit, I did it and got shot to death”

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Names accurate. They're now a ghost

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

skasion posted:

Well yeah, it would have to.

“Guys I think this ghost dance thing is bullshit, I did it and got shot to death”

You dabbed when you should have flossed, of course it didn't work.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Nah that was Thales of Miletus, about 2000 years before.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eclipse_of_Thales

I don't think he claimed to control the heavens tho, just predict them.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

CommonShore posted:

I think we've all gotten to have a great personal experience with how much people can believe completely insane poo poo that is easy to prove wrong over the past few years.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Grand Fromage posted:

I think we've all gotten to have a great personal experience with how much people can believe completely insane poo poo that is easy to prove wrong over the past few years.

you know i spent decades hearing that old chestnut about interesting times, i don't know that i really understood it until recently.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Tulip posted:

It was pretty significant in the Congo Wars, which given that was a war with tanks and bombers and MLRS and a lot of death, feels pretty incongruous.

No, for a lot of the ethnic groups involved it was their first time fighting a modern war.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Beefeater1980 posted:

Belief in magical thought or items that will confer otherworldly advantage/disadvantage is incredibly incredibly prevalent in the modern world. For example, anybodies lucky items or whatever.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Telsa Cola posted:

Belief in magical thought or items that will confer otherworldly advantage/disadvantage is incredibly incredibly prevalent in the modern world. For example, anybodies lucky items or whatever.

In markets, in that educated voters will vote “properly”, that repeating thoughts will make them happen and on and on.

I don’t know that it’s modern. It’s just a thing humans do period.

Edit: we make and believe and think in myths (and I’m not being perjorative of that word myth)

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jul 31, 2021

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Not to derail the topic at hand but this was a cool little article/commentary on history’s great nullified achievements and the interconnectedness of peoples and events of the 10-11th centuries.

Much of it might be old news to thread regulars but it’s a great example of how history, typically taught in a staid and ridged manner, can come alive when a different lense or scale is applied.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

CoolCab posted:

i'm from the UK and i don't think it's unfair to say our particular response to our modern pandemic has been pretty poor, with an official death rate of 1 in 933.45, if i understand these figures correctly. this had lead to record funerals, outpourings of public grief for certain celebs and the rates of sickness and death have been on and off again crippling our society and sending us into some pretty wild collective behaviours - our leader almost died of the disease. i think it's fair to say our society has been radically impacted by the virus.

the (probably) smallpox epidemic that ripped through before colombus did his conquering routinely is sourced as having killed off a third or more a given indigenous population, particularly in more densely populated states. imagine how the gently caress you even run a society when one person in three is now a rotting corpse.

I mean,that's about the numbers the Black Death did in Europe. It certainly did a number on the continent but society did survive.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I've heard estimates that all the diseases put together were 90% population loss between 1500 and 1700 or so

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

PawParole posted:

yeah, cathars were believed to be from Bulgaria, and people thought they were into sodomy bc they were anti-natalist.

It referred to the Bogomils, a similar, earlier, sect to the Cathars, who did originate in the Bulgarian empire.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Weka posted:

It referred to the Bogomils, a similar, earlier, sect to the Cathars, who did originate in the Bulgarian empire.

poo poo fam, you gave me something to dig on, in return I 'll recommend the crusade against the Cathars season of the history of the Crusades, a step up from the previous series with a real in depth history of the Players, one of the most underrated podcasts I've seen.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
The Norse meet the Beothuk or a closely related group. While the Beothuk no longer exist (British/French genocide) when Europeans showed up in Newfoundland in numbers, they basically moved to the interior of Newfoundland and waged war against all settlers.

Some people believe this evidence that they had previous negative contact with Europeans.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

sbaldrick posted:

The Norse meet the Beothuk or a closely related group. While the Beothuk no longer exist (British/French genocide) when Europeans showed up in Newfoundland in numbers, they basically moved to the interior of Newfoundland and waged war against all settlers.

Some people believe this evidence that they had previous negative contact with Europeans.

beothuk only emerge in 1500 (same as iroquois confederation funny enough), probably an ancestor to the beothuk or the thule.

feedmegin posted:

I mean,that's about the numbers the Black Death did in Europe. It certainly did a number on the continent but society did survive.

we don't have a bunch of spanish people immune to the disease trying to colonize either tbh :v:

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Thwomp posted:

Not to derail the topic at hand but this was a cool little article/commentary on history’s great nullified achievements and the interconnectedness of peoples and events of the 10-11th centuries.

Much of it might be old news to thread regulars but it’s a great example of how history, typically taught in a staid and ridged manner, can come alive when a different lense or scale is applied.

I hope that dude's better at research than he is at editing. :psyduck:

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Telsa Cola posted:

One of our resident German scholars posted some German recipes for magical bulletproof talismans from like 1915.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

sullat posted:

One of our resident German scholars posted some German recipes for magical bulletproof talismans from like 1915.

A bulletproof talisman is quite possible, not even that difficult really.

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

CoolCab posted:

beothuk only emerge in 1500 (same as iroquois confederation funny enough), probably an ancestor to the beothuk or the thule.

we don't have a bunch of spanish people immune to the disease trying to colonize either tbh :v:

Seems to my uneducated arse more likely to have been the Innu than the Thule, the Innu (according to wikipedia) being settled in Labrador at the time.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Gaius Marius posted:

poo poo fam, you gave me something to dig on, in return I 'll recommend the crusade against the Cathars season of the history of the Crusades, a step up from the previous series with a real in depth history of the Players, one of the most underrated podcasts I've seen.

But she calls all catapults catapult machines every time!!

I'm kidding, it's really good and she does a great job in bringing the narrative out in interesting ways.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Beefeater1980 posted:

My favorite tale is Isatai'i, a comanche medicine man running with Quanah Parker, who made his warriors invincible to bullets a lot. After a disastrous battle, where Quanah was wounded and many men killed, he explained that a tribal taboo had been violated the night before, since someone had killed a skunk :science:

cheetah7071 posted:

I've heard estimates that all the diseases put together were 90% population loss between 1500 and 1700 or so

Then try on this one: Malaria has killed 50% af all humans to ever have existed!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Tias posted:

My favorite tale is Isatai'i, a comanche medicine man running with Quanah Parker, who made his warriors invincible to bullets a lot. After a disastrous battle, where Quanah was wounded and many men killed, he explained that a tribal taboo had been violated the night before, since someone had killed a skunk :science:

Then try on this one: Malaria has killed 50% af all humans to ever have existed!
That figure seems high, doesn't it mostly just weaken you? So I can absolutely buy 50% of humans having had malaria at the time of death, but the direct cause would have been starvation, failure to adhere to the correct dictates of the local mod staff, acute updog, etc.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Died with Covid

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Nessus posted:

That figure seems high, doesn't it mostly just weaken you? So I can absolutely buy 50% of humans having had malaria at the time of death, but the direct cause would have been starvation, failure to adhere to the correct dictates of the local mod staff, acute updog, etc.

I don't know, to be honest, but with 300+ million having died of it in the 20th century alone, I expect the mortality rate was even higher before then - it has existed since at least the late mesolithic

Tias fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Aug 1, 2021

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Weka posted:

Seems to my uneducated arse more likely to have been the Innu than the Thule, the Innu (according to wikipedia) being settled in Labrador at the time.

oh yeah, could be innu too. i am much less familiar with their period territories.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
What did the polynesians take with them when they went to settle new islands? Trying to get a feel for how big and also complex a population you could muster if you landed in your canoe in say tahiti or the hawaiian islands

e: I asked this because my bookmark takes me back to january of 2019, if this has been asked in the last page or so just ban me i get it

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
https://twitter.com/OptimoPrincipi/status/1423276759991021568?s=20

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Milo and POTUS posted:

What did the polynesians take with them when they went to settle new islands? Trying to get a feel for how big and also complex a population you could muster if you landed in your canoe in say tahiti or the hawaiian islands

e: I asked this because my bookmark takes me back to january of 2019, if this has been asked in the last page or so just ban me i get it

roots, seeds and animals

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domesticated_plants_and_animals_of_Austronesia

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I am in need of a Polynesian island-settling board game

Chopstix
Nov 20, 2002

God drat what a find, how decadent is that for that period, let alone today. “Here look at this solid gold vase I have”.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Tree Bucket posted:

I am in need of a Polynesian island-settling board game

Conquest of Paradise

Bora Bora

Tongiaki