Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Carbon dioxide posted:

You people who don't know what this is a reference to, please keep your innocence. It is a valuable asset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.
You know what you're doing, and my urge to Google grows by the second, gently caress this.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Elyv posted:

the vatican and san marino aren't in purple(or my monitor is bad), garbage map

They are. :colbert:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

TinTower posted:

Did somebody say vexillology? Because I'd like to share my favourite, the apoleiasexual pride flag.

i'm at a loss

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.

Kurtofan posted:

i'm at a loss

alright

gently caress this entire place. took me long enough. i swear that image wasn't up there when i checked the first time

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Countries that have or had their own 'Idol' series, such as "American Idol".
Blue: These countries film their own version of Idol.
Green: This country takes part in a series with other countries. (Such as Arab Idol)

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Lots of people getting huffy about how they're totally not secretly ruled by some old lady who gets to pretend that her military dictator ancestors were somehow better than regular humans because they had ~*NOBILITY*~.

I'm a republican, but if monarchy had actually won its fight in the UK against the rest of the nobility it would probably be a regular constitutional monarchy nowadays instead of a hosed up Ancien Régime throwback class society.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Level 9
Something Awful

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Peanut President posted:

Look I just used the basic paint.net colors. Be glad there's not 3 greens.

I just assumed the terrible color choices were part of the joke.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!
Here's an interesting longform article about some surprisingly politically loaded infrastructure maps. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2017-08-10/nobody-knows-what-lies-beneath-new-york-city

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Whiz Palace posted:

Unless there's a big one I missed, the politically-loaded elements are pretty subtle so I don't know which you want to call out.

1) the development of the southern islands
2) the development of the Mainland side
3) the ecological impact of reclaiming land in general
3) the way "South China Sea" got shoehorned in there
4) the use of Mandarin transliterations for all Mainland locations regardless of the local language
5) the bait-and-switch politics of the "Special Administrative Region" designation...

e: if they'd included the bridge to Hong Kong that would've been a huge one.

I was calling out the whole island reclamation discussion that was going on?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
how is it anything but a tower

a boat??

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Presumably the name was chosen before the Russians were adequately acquainted with the concept of boats.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Kurtofan posted:

how is it anything but a tower

a boat??

How is a bishop a jester? Unless this is some radical anti-clericalism in which case carry on.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Small woman

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
It's pretty cool that there's very few places where all of the pieces are named in a similar manner.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Some of the names probably stem from before the standard Staunton style pattern for chessmen, and have stuck around.

You can still get sets with a cannon for the rook.

In that set, the queen appears to be a pumpkin, and gently caress knows what the bishop is.

I've never seen a non-theme set where the rook looked anything like a boat though, unless it's supposed to be the mast or something.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Guavanaut posted:

I've never seen a non-theme set where the rook looked anything like a boat though, unless it's supposed to be the mast or something.

Apparently an elephant as Bishop and a boat as Rook is something Russia got from Indian sets.

Bengali set from the 1600s:

And a Soviet Russian one:

ulmont fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Aug 21, 2017

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Estonia calling the queen flag seems weird, but then you get the Faroes calling the pawn "small woman" and wonder how they used to wage war.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

frankenfreak posted:

Estonia calling the queen flag seems weird, but then you get the Faroes calling the pawn "small woman" and wonder how they used to wage war.
They couldn't deal with the fact that foot soldiers were promoted into ladies, so they made the foot soldiers into women instead.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

A Buttery Pastry posted:

They couldn't deal with the fact that foot soldiers were promoted into ladies, so they made the foot soldiers into women instead.

Things get awkward in that once in a lifetime game where you need to promote into a horse though.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Faroe nuff

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Has anyone ever made republican chess? Republican like how the king is called something else, not Republican like the pawns are fetuses or something.

It seems like the sort of thing that France would do around the time that they were doing republican clocks and calendars.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Guavanaut posted:

Has anyone ever made republican chess? Republican like how the king is called something else, not Republican like the pawns are fetuses or something.

It seems like the sort of thing that France would do around the time that they were doing republican clocks and calendars.

lol, you are completely right, they modernized chess post 1789, not just to do away with monarchist elements, but also to bring it up to date with modern warfare, so there were pieces like an observation balloon or a sharpshooter.

http://ib.frath.net/w/Republican_Chess

E: Upon closer look this appears to be the wiki of some fictional universe? Owned, I guess.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

Note that it's not a boat in general, it's specifically a viking longboat. I think you can kinda view the cranellations as shields on the side?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Quoting so it doesn't break my browser to look at such huge images.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Guavanaut posted:

Louis-Bernard Guyton, Baron de Morveau, apparently proposed a republican chess, using military titles for everyone, but it doesn't seem to have been picked up.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis-Bernard_Guyton_de_Morveau
https://books.google.com/books?id=R...hess%22&f=false

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Orange Devil posted:

How is a bishop a jester? Unless this is some radical anti-clericalism in which case carry on.

they've both got a funny hat

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
Bishop is Jester in France because they thought it looked like a jester's cap it's that simple.

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em
Spanish peón means both foot soldiers and farmhands/laborers. Also beehives, now that's a set I wanna see.

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous
Georgian Turtles, known for speeding across the battlefield

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I've called the queen queen in french before, was i wrong then

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Frionnel posted:

Bishop is Jester in France because they thought it looked like a jester's cap it's that simple.

And we're right obv

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

Kurtofan posted:

I've called the queen queen in french before, was i wrong then

Also call the queen queen in Dutch (koningin).

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

IDK a lot of languages probably have multiple names. It's pretty common for people to say "horse" and "castle" in English.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Duckbag posted:

IDK a lot of languages probably have multiple names. It's pretty common for people to say "horse" and "castle" in English.

horse sounds like kids stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Kurtofan posted:

horse sounds like kids stuff

Yeah, every kid who plays chess for the first time calls it that until someone corrects them. Not everyone accepts the correction.