Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
I'm surprised he didn't use a worm gear.

e:

MaliciousOnion fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Nov 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

MaliciousOnion posted:

I'm surprised he didn't use a worm gear.

In another video he tests the worm gears vs. normal gears and they're wildly inefficient.

Also I feel like I've seen that Devastator before?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Ok, so it is B&N that will have the Harry Potter bricktober set. Free with $75 Lego purchase on November 17. It is likely they will sell it individually after the promotion, if supplies last.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
Man those people who got it for 8 bucks before the stores realized they weren't supposed to sell it lucked out.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Scipiotik posted:

Man those people who got it for 8 bucks before the stores realized they weren't supposed to sell it lucked out.
If any of those people want to recoup their cost, I'd love to buy just Slughorn for $8. Just want his torso for my cowboy figs.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Diagon Alley is available with a $99 purchase now.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

A LEGO secondhand store opened up near us, called bricks and minifigs. Wasn't looking for it, wife and I noticed it on our way hone from a Saturday outing.

At any rate they had a 3 for $10 minifig table and we're building an advent calendar for our niece. While pawing through I saw some space logos and set them aside just in case, then later when doing head gear I found some classic space helmets too.

Guy behind the counter was surprised they were in there and pointed me to a display case full of classic space figures that were $5 a piece.

Score!

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I think it’s a chain there’s one in Austin

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah it’s a chain we have them in Denver too

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah I pulled up the map when I got home, they all over the place. It was just weird to notice one about a mile from where I live.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

xzzy posted:

A LEGO secondhand store opened up near us, called bricks and minifigs. Wasn't looking for it, wife and I noticed it on our way hone from a Saturday outing.

At any rate they had a 3 for $10 minifig table and we're building an advent calendar for our niece. While pawing through I saw some space logos and set them aside just in case, then later when doing head gear I found some classic space helmets too.

Guy behind the counter was surprised they were in there and pointed me to a display case full of classic space figures that were $5 a piece.

Score!

Those are in really good condition, too. Nice gold.

B&M is a franchise/chain.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

xzzy posted:

Yeah I pulled up the map when I got home, they all over the place. It was just weird to notice one about a mile from where I live.

I really want to check one out around here, but they are all in the boonies and I'm not gonna drive 45 minutes, especially when there is a Lego store within spitting distance from me.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I bought like 10 lbs of bionicle for real cheap yesterday. No idea what I'm gonna do with all of these ridiculous parts except strip all the technic stuff/hoses and keep the few versatile looking ones I can repurpose for MOCs. Looks less like Lego and more like disassembled action figures.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

Dogen posted:

I think it’s a chain there’s one in Austin

Yeah the manager there is super friendly. Nice dude, very knowledgeable. Their prices are on the high side, but they get really cool stuff. They had an intact Black Monarch Castle for 120$ that I was sorely tempted to scoop up.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

veni veni veni posted:

I bought like 10 lbs of bionicle for real cheap yesterday. No idea what I'm gonna do with all of these ridiculous parts except strip all the technic stuff/hoses and keep the few versatile looking ones I can repurpose for MOCs. Looks less like Lego and more like disassembled action figures.
Only if your imagination is defunct

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

xzzy posted:

There are three within a half hour of me. One of them is OK but gets some cool sets now and again. I got my Black Seas Barracuda there at a very good price. One of them is great and consistently has stuff for below the BL market value. The third is terrible and overpriced and the staff is all up my rear end when I'm in there. Hit and miss.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

I've seen some crazily impressive Bionicle stuff people make to display at conventions. Don't underestimate it's versatility.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

The Shortest Path posted:

I've seen some crazily impressive Bionicle stuff people make to display at conventions. Don't underestimate it's versatility.

This is what I was gonna say...

Feenix fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Nov 11, 2018

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Don't get me wrong, Bionicle parts are mainly geared towards building buff punchmen, but you can do whatever you want and make some very cool poo poo, or you can make some damned buff punchmen

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Waltzing Along posted:

Those are in really good condition, too. Nice gold.

B&M is a franchise/chain.

Yeah, the yellow minifig somehow has 100% gold which I haven't seen in a long time. Little bit of play wear too, not sure how he survived so long.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

The Shortest Path posted:

Mameluke posted:

Don't get me wrong, Bionicle parts are mainly geared towards building buff punchmen, but you can do whatever you want and make some very cool poo poo, or you can make some damned buff punchmen
I made a post on imgur a while back for expressly this purpose, you can do some really amazing stuff with Bionicle and regular bricks. And this is only one particular builder. There's about a hundred more examples of his stuff in the link:

https://imgur.com/gallery/OUD4A

some tidbits:

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Nov 11, 2018

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
Those are all incredible. Man, I don't know how some people even think of those creations. I'd never even consider using some elements in those ways, it just wouldn't even occur to me.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Also, lego needs to put out bulk bags of feminine hair and female faces to make it easier to give girls the option to represent themselves with sets. Or anyone that identifies that way.

They've gotten better with gender options but they're all still pretty male dominated.

Better yet, pack extra pieces with every set to allow either.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Well that's what Lego Friends is for. Now parents get to buy 2 kinds of sets with incompatible minifigs for their son and daughter and Lego profits from it. But of course they only do it because in panels girls preferred the friends kind not-minifig.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
Not really into the friends line for my daughter tbh. That said I haven’t had any trouble tracking down women/girl minifigs for regular sets, and I grabbed some unikitty stuff because she responds more to animals, cats and unicorns anyways.

The collectible miniseries and a lot of the small seasonal sets provide some good options for adding girl minifigs. With the various 3 in 1 creator sets for animals, the theme park sets, the town and city stuff there are a lot of good options for little girls while ignoring the friends theme entirely, at least if a parent is willing to do a little leg work on eBay, bricklink, to a LEGO store or to a nearby bricks & minifigs, etc.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

I saw a Lego Friends racing set and it made me smile. Glad to see they are branching into Motorsports like all good Lego sets need to do.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

djfooboo posted:

I saw a Lego Friends racing set and it made me smile. Glad to see they are branching into Motorsports like all good Lego sets need to do.

Having literally never paid a second glance at Lego Friends, I have recently had a look at them as my partner is pregnant and we are having a daughter. Now that I am faced with the prospect of shielding my future daughter from rampant sexism in kids toys and marketing, I was actually quite surprised how cool some of the Friends sets are. They don't seem to be dumbed down relative to the "boy" sets and they have a decent variety of themes and scenes. I am trying to resist the urge to stockpile Elves sets for future birthday presents. Sure, I really hate the mini-dolls, but I figure that it is nostalgia for the minifigures. This airship looks loving cool, I would have loved this thing as a kid:

While I was writing this post I remember wanting Paradisa sets when I was a boy, but feeling ashamed to ask because they were "Pink and Girly". I distinctly recall wanting to make an aquarium out of the large transparent window elements that came in this set:

I also remember plucking up the courage (stupid I know) to ask my mum for this Harry Potter set, 4723 Diagon Alley, which again I was embarrassed about because it was full of pink stuff. The overwhelming desire to obtain more wizard hats, capes and lightsaber blades must have overwritten years of gender-stereotyping that my young mind must have endured.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You could make that aquarium today if you bought the ship in a bottle!

We did notice that the Juniors sets are doing better with gender options, like the one with the airplane has a woman pilot. But I still think lego can do a lot more than they are.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Black Friday notes...
Walmart will have a 900-piece Classic box for $20. Target will have the Y-Wing, Ninjago Lightning Jet, and Ninjago Garma Mecha for 30% off. Best Buy will have 20% off 'select' sets, and the picture shows the Minecraft Chicken coop, that speeder from Solo, and the Black Panther set with the rhino.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Pyroclastic posted:

Black Friday notes...
Walmart will have a 900-piece Classic box for $20. Target will have the Y-Wing, Ninjago Lightning Jet, and Ninjago Garma Mecha for 30% off. Best Buy will have 20% off 'select' sets, and the picture shows the Minecraft Chicken coop, that speeder from Solo, and the Black Panther set with the rhino.

IIRC you are in the PacNW and Fred Meyer is going to have 20% off Lego as well on Black Friday.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
A lot of the - particularly more recent - Friends designs are actually pretty neat, and I enjoy that they feature colors rarely present in other Lego themes without making them overtly gendered (eg, all pink).

Pyroclastic posted:

Black Friday notes...

Pretty sure those Target sales are already in effect, as Y-Wing has been $43 everywhere for a while now.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

mitochondritom posted:

While I was writing this post I remember wanting Paradisa sets when I was a boy, but feeling ashamed to ask because they were "Pink and Girly". I distinctly recall wanting to make an aquarium out of the large transparent window elements that came in this set:

I also remember plucking up the courage (stupid I know) to ask my mum for this Harry Potter set, 4723 Diagon Alley, which again I was embarrassed about because it was full of pink stuff. The overwhelming desire to obtain more wizard hats, capes and lightsaber blades must have overwritten years of gender-stereotyping that my young mind must have endured.

Those sets were like a decade apart, so I'm chuckling at imagining you mustering up the courage for 10 years and being like "Mom, I'm 24 now and I know what I want. I want the girl lego sets"

My grandma gave my sportsbro little brother that Paradiso set for Xmas, and he was like :wtf: ?! He gave it to me immediately. Still have the windows and minifigs. Wish I had the stair case.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

In retrospect Paradiso looks like less of a girl theme and more of a coked out 80's Miami theme.

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

say hello to my little friends

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

veni veni veni posted:

In retrospect Paradiso looks like less of a girl theme and more of a coked out 80's Miami theme.

I had the one posted above and the beach set and that's basically what me and my friend did with them

Also the recent Friends cabin cruiser was one hell of a drug boat but I never picked it up

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

djfooboo posted:

That owns. The burger diner is pretty sweet.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

My wife picked up some of the Friends/Elves sets- she likes LEGO but isn't interested in most of the other lines, but the design of the Friends sets really hits her taste- cute little animals, cute big animals, girls doing science. It's nice that when we pass the LEGO aisle we both have things we nerd out over.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Zonko_T.M. posted:

My wife picked up some of the Friends/Elves sets- she likes LEGO but isn't interested in most of the other lines, but the design of the Friends sets really hits her taste- cute little animals, cute big animals, girls doing science. It's nice that when we pass the LEGO aisle we both have things we nerd out over.

I nerd out over the whole aisle because some of the Friends poo poo, vehicles especially, are rad as poo poo. I’m also extremely pissed at myself for not getting the Merida archery set with the bear cubs because of course it disappeared right away and seeing a Merida fig at a con is a lot harder than finding twelve million stormtroopers and ten cave trolls and three different t-rexes.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
You're hosed in the head if you didn't run screaming to buy that Friends Weinermobile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Anora posted:

You're hosed in the head if you didn't run screaming to buy that Friends Weinermobile.

Friends sets are great to MOD into City vehicles...