Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
Imagine being so old, terribly bored and completely manipulated by the media you consume that you get so worked up about other religions that you go out in public and protest their place of worship.

Imagine.

These people need hobbies. Other hobbies that don't involve being angry all the time I mean.

On the plus side constantly alternating between fear, stress and anger probably chops a good bit of your life expectancy off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I don't know, if a local church had some sex abuse scandal or its leader was heavily involved in trying to gently caress with people's basic rights I think it would be ok to protest it. People counter-protest and gently caress with a lot of lovely westboro baptist type churches in the US. gently caress em, protest and shame that poo poo.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

namaste faggots posted:

I prefer to call them mohammedans

I'm considering reverting all the way back to Saracen.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Death to the infidelsJews

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/imam-sermon-montreal-mosque-1.4037397

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

That guy looks like a goon

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

CLAM DOWN posted:

That guy looks like a goon

It's me.

Sethex
Jun 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I like free speech. "Lol" if you don't.

Why islamophobia legislation is necessary is sorta strange to me.

Hope it isn't used to squelch rhetoric criticizing islam for the ways that it is bad.

Also the govt grant of 125 mil for ai research is amusingly small. We'll see where that goes.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Literally someone just murdered 6 people at a mosque you dumb fucker

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I remember when I thought "but what if I can't criticize the parts of Islam that are genuinely worthy of criticism?" when people talked about Islamophobia, and it turns out it wasn't an issue because I'm in Canada and even most Muslims criticize the shittiest, most problematic interpretations of Islam (granted, they are usually criticized as "un-Islamic" entirely). What is an issue is the rampant Islamophobia in North America and Europe at the moment, and it really isn't based in rational concern.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Sethex posted:

Hope it isn't used to squelch rhetoric criticizing islam for the ways that it is bad.

Also the govt grant of 125 mil for ai research is amusingly small. We'll see where that goes.

You are exactly the problem with this country.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

THC posted:

No, look, if I can't call for death to a specific religious group, am I truly free?

How could I possibly critique a religion without literally calling for the slaughter of its adherents? How?

CLAM DOWN posted:

You are exactly the problem with this country.

Too bad there's just no line between advocating genocide and criticizing religion. It's a real shame we've tumbled down that slippery slope. Any minute the thought police are going to put me in a gulag for even considering this.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Mar 24, 2017

smoke sumthin bitch
Dec 14, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

THC posted:

Yes and literaly a week later our 3 main provincial parties introduced a law to ban women from wearing hijabs in public. But thank god we figured out free speech is evil or else we would have to confront the fact we live in an authoritarian fascist country

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

smoke sumthin bitch posted:

Yes and literaly a week later our 3 main provincial parties introduced a law to ban women from wearing hijabs in public. But thank god we figured out free speech is evil or else we would have to confront the fact we live in an authoritarian fascist country

How broken is your brain? Can you maybe diagram the cognitive leaps you took to connect these points?

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

you still have free speech you stupid evil loving piece of poo poo

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Sethex posted:

It's a motion. It's not a bill or law or any kind of official policy. They could also pass a motion saying Tootsie Pops are tasty and that study should be carried out on how many licks it takes to get to the centre of one.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Also, it's not legislation. It's a non-binding motion to study ALL FORMS OF SYSTEM DISCRIMINATION. It mentions Islamaphobia, because, again, we had a domestic terrorist attack on a mosque

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Umm free speech is evil numbnuts

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

bunnyofdoom posted:

Also, it's not legislation. It's a non-binding motion to study ALL FORMS OF SYSTEM DISCRIMINATION. It mentions Islamaphobia, because, again, we had a domestic terrorist attack on a mosque

I think you'll find it is in fact the first salvo in the war on freedom and the harbinger of "Creeping Sharia"™

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
I'm going to put something out there, and I don't want any islamaphobic comments here, Saudi Arabia might be on the right track with the whole women drivers policy.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

THC posted:

you still have free speech you stupid evil loving piece of poo poo

inshallah not much longer

smoke sumthin bitch
Dec 14, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

infernal machines posted:

How broken is your brain? Can you maybe diagram the cognitive leaps you took to connect these points?

Theres a whole thread in the race space about how censorship laws are being used and have been used time and time again to gently caress over the most vulnerable elements of society i suggest you go take a look and educate yourself.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Ah yes that most vulnerable element of society, white conservatives who hate Islam

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

PittTheElder posted:

I'm considering reverting all the way back to Saracen.

Mussulman.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

smoke sumthin bitch posted:

Theres a whole thread in the race space about how censorship laws are being used and have been used time and time again to gently caress over the most vulnerable elements of society i suggest you go take a look and educate yourself.

You should have just your free speech taken away.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

McGavin posted:

Mussulman.

Like Randy Savage?

THC posted:

Ah yes that most vulnerable element of society, white conservatives who hate Islam

I guess there's always the possibility some BLM activist will get arrested for a tweet about killing white people.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Like Randy Savage?

Yes, but unable to snap into a Slim Jim for religious reasons.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Why are you white guys such whiny bitches? Honestly your worst than liberal arts sjws

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Waaaassh my video games don't have nudity and rape

Waaah my guns

Waaaaah my Babylon 9 stormtroopers aren't realistic enough

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Waaah why can't I make $80k year delivering pizza

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
The thing about being at the top of the pyramid is that it's very precarious and you never feel quite stable. Even worse when the masses below are constantly groaning and shifting about.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Waaah why does everyone not take my at my electronic beanie baby moneyd seriously

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
We have freedom of expression provided you don't espouse hatred. That free speech I hate gay trans two spirit park fuckers thing is an American construct.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Rime posted:

The thing about being at the top of the pyramid is that it's very precarious and you never feel quite stable. Even worse when the masses below are constantly groaning and shifting about.

This isn't true. The top of the pyramid is quite comfortable.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Any freedom of speech warriors should go yell FIRE in a crowded movie theatre and report back on their experiment about whether freedom of speech is absolute.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

CLAM DOWN posted:

You should have just your free speech taken away.

Also, presumably the fact that hate speech laws can and would be used against the most vulnerable elements of society, is all the more reason to ensure they are targeted at very specific things at the legislative level instead of being open to interpretation. That's why we could actually use laws that specifically mention Islamophobia, or whatever else -- because then there's no way some Trost-type regressive shitfuck could use those laws to say that we're oppressing Christians by taking away their right to say gays are evil.

I'd also point out that Muslims are not the only victims of Islamophobia -- people of other religions, or indeed no religion at all, have died due to attacks rooted in Islamophobia -- so it's not even a matter of protecting adherents of one religion above all others.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

I forgot, smoke sumthin bitch is the one that says hate speech legislation is directly equal to banning religious garments, because that's a totally coherent comparison to make. Like, literally one leads directly to the other, because reasons*.

Goddamn gubmint, first they tell me I can't have my dick out in public no more, next thing you know they'll ban walking down the street. It's a fascist autocracy I tells ya!

*I suspect the reasons are Quebec

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Mar 24, 2017

smoke sumthin bitch
Dec 14, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Its textbook Sorosian divide and conqer strategy. First you bring in a lot of migrants a large % of the native population deems incompatible and then when the racial tensions rise you pass censorship laws targeting both sides. The state manages to devaluate wages, augment police powers and mass surveillance, destroy our freedoms AND make us hate each other all in 1. And the regressive left falls right into it. I wouldnt oppose immigration if it wasnt weaponized to impoverish us and descend our society into an orwellian dystopia

, next thing you know they'll ban walking down the street.

just last week i got arrested for walking down a quiet rear end neighbourhood street (illegal to walk down the street if theres a sidewalk accross it apparently) so yeah were already there bro

smoke sumthin bitch fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Mar 24, 2017

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
you mean the immigration that peaked in 1910?

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
or were those immigrants "ok"

or is your position that the state has just been doing this reallll slow for the past 100 years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

RBC posted:

or were those immigrants "ok"

or is your position that the state has just been doing this reallll slow for the past 100 years

Illuminati play the long game, scrub. Educate yourself.