Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Best hotel by the airport in Burlingame?

I'm trying to decide between the Marriott and the Hilton. The Hyatt would be my first choice, but there's apparently renovations going on and everyone who's stayed there recently has given it bad reviews because of the noise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

I'm coming to SF from the UK for four days next week (Wednesday - Sunday). What are some must-sees? I quite like odd little quirky things that don't tend to show up on tourist lists, but since I'm there for such a short amount of time I'm just looking not to miss out on some of that stuff that you just have to see/do in the area.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Musée Mecanique and the Cable Car museum. The first is a large collection of vintage games, videoscopes, player pianos,. and moving dioramas *that you can play by feeding coins into*. The Cable Car museum is a brief visit, but is all about how cable cars work and lets you see the actual machinery that runs the cables. If you want to take the cable car to the museum, take it from California Street, near the Ferry Building the Hyde line that starts near Ghirardelli Square -- fewer tourists know about that line. If you're at all into food, the Saturday Ferry Farmer's market is amazing, and you can grab some non-perishable things like jams to take home. Inside the building, be sure to have some cheese and gelato.

Oh, and make reservations for the ferry to Alcatraz. It's touristy as hell, and once you get there you'll be very, very glad you've gone.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Mar 7, 2016

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Oh, and make reservations for the ferry to Alcatraz. It's touristy as hell, and once you get there you'll be very, very glad you've gone.

Do the Night Tour if you can. It's probably too late to book those now but it's awesome as hell and much less touristy. Plus you get to see SF during sunset/at night which is cool and just has a fun chiller creepier vibe.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Couldn't get the night tour but Alcatraz has been booked. I also heard of a place that does a mac 'n' cheese grilled cheese, which is something I must absolutely eat or die trying. I'm hoping to find some other ridiculously American dish to try, any suggestions?

Planning to hit up the Exploratorium and the Academy of Sciences, plus some parks since the weather forecast is looking pretty great.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Bollock Monkey posted:

Couldn't get the night tour but Alcatraz has been booked. I also heard of a place that does a mac 'n' cheese grilled cheese, which is something I must absolutely eat or die trying. I'm hoping to find some other ridiculously American dish to try, any suggestions?
That's probably American Grilled Cheese Kitchen. I had a bite of a friend's who ordered that, it's a bit of a mess and I preferred my sandwich. I really like The Grove for grilled cheese. If you want the place that looks the most like USA Diner #1 go to Mel's but their food isn't that good. If you're looking for Iowa State Fair-level ridiculous disgusting food that's not so much a SF thing but there's a lot of good burgers and various fried things.

zenthursdays
Oct 20, 2009

:feelsgood:
If you're looking to jump-start a heart attack, Straw serves a burger with glazed donuts for buns.

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!
I am on foot in downtown San Jose. What's a place with a good beer selection? (Not Gordon Biersch) Food would be a bonus.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Bollock Monkey posted:

Planning to hit up the Exploratorium and the Academy of Sciences, plus some parks since the weather forecast is looking pretty great.

One of the most ridiculously American things to eat is a burrito. This might not be obvious to someone from another country but burritos are an American specialty, and San Francisco is a good place to get one. It should be the size of your head or bigger. Wars are fought over which style is the best, and I don't really want to kick off the grudgematch by specifying a particular one, but if you find yourself in the Mission district by all means eat a giant burrito.

Another very American thing is barbeque. Once again it has all kinds of external cultural influence but there is a particularly American tradition. However that's less of an SF thing and more of a south thing...

...if you want a quintissentially San Francisco meal, get yourself a good bowl of clam chowder served in a carved-out sourdough bread bowl. Even more quintessential (e.g., actually invented in San Francisco) but much less touristy would be some nice cioppino.

Americans also eat shitloads of pizza, and no, it's not generally the same as pizza in europe. But SF isn't really a big pizza town like chicago. I mean there's plenty of good pizza, it's just not our local specialty thing.

I think if you want to eat the sort of west coast fast food garbage that people come here from other parts of America for, you need an In-n-out Burger and a Crispy Creme donut.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Leperflesh posted:

I think if you want to eat the sort of west coast fast food garbage that people come here from other parts of America for, you need an In-n-out Burger and a Crispy Creme donut.
Krispy Kreme is a southern chain. In-N-Out has terrible French fries; it's all very well to order them animal style, but the fries themselves are badly cooked.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

coronaball posted:

I am on foot in downtown San Jose. What's a place with a good beer selection? (Not Gordon Biersch) Food would be a bonus.
Probably too late to help, but for future reference: Original Gravity?

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

Another very American thing is barbeque. Once again it has all kinds of external cultural influence but there is a particularly American tradition. However that's less of an SF thing and more of a south thing...
Go to Memphis Minnie's, it is amazing.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

In-N-Out has terrible French fries; it's all very well to order them animal style, but the fries themselves are badly cooked.
No, you are mistaken. That said, the fries at Ayola on New Montgomery are potentially the best I have ever had.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I have heard in Serious Tones of Voice from People Who Know that there is no "real" bbq in SF or even the whole Bay Area really.

firebad57
Dec 29, 2008

qirex posted:

I have heard in Serious Tones of Voice from People Who Know that there is no "real" bbq in SF or even the whole Bay Area really.

I'm sure they have an argument/axe to grind, but imho, the brisket at 4505 Meats is loving DELICIOUS JESUS CHRIST.

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender

qirex posted:

same but for ramen.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

firebad57 posted:

I'm sure they have an argument/axe to grind, but imho, the brisket ...

I believe we were talking about "real" barbeque.

It's hard to get in and you'll have to wait in line, but Brenda's French Soul Food is amazing. Do have the beignet flight, it's as good as everybody says it is.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

minato posted:

same but for ramen.
This I don't get because 99% of the ramen shops in Japan are just cheap quick food, they don't have Magic Nihongo Powers channeling the Spirit of the Noodle or anything. Yeah, the very best ramen shops there are probably better than our best ones but it's basically fast food and if it's hot and delicious there's no reason to get a stick up your butt. I think one of the problems here is that a lot of the fanciest American places aren't much better than the cheap ones, I walked out of Ippudo thinking "that was pretty good" but it cost $22 whereas I can get something I like just as much or better for $11 elsewhere. You pay extra for a fancy dining room and everyone in the restaurant shouting in Japanese.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

zenthursdays posted:

If you're looking to jump-start a heart attack, Straw serves a burger with glazed donuts for buns.

Yeah, I think Straw would be the perfect place to go to have "ridiculously American" food.

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

minato posted:

same but for ramen.

All of the good ramen is in south bay anyway :colbert:

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Toe Rag posted:

Yeah, I think Straw would be the perfect place to go to have "ridiculously American" food.

That looks like a pretty good place to have what I'm looking for. I've heard a lot about funnel cake so it'd be cool to try some.

I'm coming from England so a couple of novelty dishes are a must, and I hear that the Mexican food in SF is amazing so that is definitely on the list, as well as something from Chinatown. Sadly I can't stand fish or seafood so I'll have to give that a miss but I appreciate the recommendations!

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Bollock Monkey posted:

the Mexican food in SF is amazing
The burritos are, but burritos aren't exactly "traditional" Mexican cuisine; they're an American adaptation. There's plenty of authentic Mexican around here but I'm not sure if it's any better than any other major US city with a significant Mexican immigrant population.

Similarly, I'm pretty sure I've complained in this thread about my quest for fajitas, which are not a "traditional" Mexican dish but which were adapted for Texan tastes.

As far as brisket, I like these folks.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I once ordered a burrito in London, compared to that experience our Mexican food is amazing. I'd recommend tacos over a burrito, that way you can try a several different meats.

Places I like in Chinatown:
  • Lucky Creation: excellent vegan fake meat
  • AA Bakery: good baked pork buns and other pastries, dirt cheap.
  • House of Nanking: Only if there's not a line. Get the Nanking Chicken and garlic green beans, otherwise go next door to House of Xian and get dumplings.
  • Utopia Cafe: only place I know that does HK-style clay pot rice in SF

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!

Incoherence posted:

Probably too late to help, but for future reference: Original Gravity?

Exactly where I ended up going. Pliny on tap and a bunch of other great beers too. Ended up closing the place down.

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender
It used to make no sense to me that the quality of a country's food wouldn't travel very well outside of its home country, because the recipes and chefs can travel, so surely it would taste the same? But every transplant I know says the food tastes better at home, whether they're talking about Brazilian, Indian, Japanese, southern BBQ, etc etc. I figure it's gotta be the quality of the ingredients or some subtle differences in temp/humidity or water quality, and not just some patriotic flag-waving bias. But by its nature it's hard to do a double-blind test to prove it one way or the other.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

minato posted:

It used to make no sense to me that the quality of a country's food wouldn't travel very well outside of its home country, because the recipes and chefs can travel, so surely it would taste the same? But every transplant I know says the food tastes better at home, whether they're talking about Brazilian, Indian, Japanese, southern BBQ, etc etc. I figure it's gotta be the quality of the ingredients or some subtle differences in temp/humidity or water quality, and not just some patriotic flag-waving bias. But by its nature it's hard to do a double-blind test to prove it one way or the other.
When you're a restaurant chef making your home cuisine for foreigners, you have to adapt what you grew up eating (and were trained to cook) toward what will sell reliably in your new country. Couple that with the inability to find some fresh ingredients, and it's never going to be quite the same.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

There are multiple BBQ traditions in the US. Yesterday someone jinxed me by mentioning Cat's Head BBQ, a North Carolina-ish place in south-west SoMa which I used to work down the street from. I remembered that haven't had any of their brisket in years and it's not fair :qq:

Oh, and right around the corner is Pizza Napoletana, which I commonly describe as "literally world class." I mean, maybe all the pizza in Europe is like that but I find it to be a pretty big deal. They put up posters around the bay for its annual reopening like it's a concert or something.

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
4505 bbq is delicious.

A Mensho Toyko ramen place just opened up and apparently it has a 2-hour wait.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/mensho-tokyo-san-francisco-2

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
I don't really get the crazy crazy obsession with ramen around here. Especially the Ramen Fest utter fiasco debacle. It's good, especially on a cold rainy/foggy day (which is actually pretty rare lately) but I prefer a good bowl of pho :colbert:

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Pho is better to eat regularly, for health reasons if nothing else. The best is obviously Pho Y #1 on E Capitol Expressway in San Jose.

That being said, don't even talk poo poo on ramen until you've had the Tonkotsu ramen at Orenchi in San Jose. God. So incredible. Get there like 30 minutes before it opens, or be prepared to wait 45 minutes to an hour to get in.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
I don't live in South Bay so I haven't tried that place admittingly. Though I've tried various ramen around SF/East Bay and while good, is not something I'd ever bother waiting in a line for (although I have regrettingly) and a lot of them have long waits for no apparent reason, when instead I can just go to a good Vietnamese place and get seated right away (or close to it) and enjoy a good bowl of pho.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Overall I've found it's usually never worth it to wait in line a long time, my max is probably 10-15 minutes. I'm sure if I tried to get into State Bird Provisions I'd be OK with a bit of time on the sidewalk but 2 hours for ramen is just stupid even if it is the best ramen ever. One of the best things about SF is that it's so small and tightly packed that if the exact thing you want isn't available there's 10 other great things within 4 blocks.

"There's no ramen in SF worth standing on Geary Street 2 hours in the rain" is a fair and accurate statement. "There's no good ramen in SF" isn't.

Speaking of pho I've had good stuff at Pho 2000 [good garlic noodles too] and Pho Vietnam.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Doc Hawkins posted:

There are multiple BBQ traditions in the US. Yesterday someone jinxed me by mentioning Cat's Head BBQ, a North Carolina-ish place in south-west SoMa which I used to work down the street from. I remembered that haven't had any of their brisket in years and it's not fair :qq:
If it's brisket, it's not North Carolina style. In NC, the only thing you barbecue is a pig, period. (Yeah, yeah, I know, barbecue places outside the South usually mix traditions.)

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

See, we really don't know anything about barbecue!

(Thank you for the information.)

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
Fries at In'N'Out can be good if you get light well-done fries. Their regular fries are only fried once. Get them to fry them a second time and they're awesome:

http://aht.seriouseats.com/archives/2010/01/the-burger-lab-why-double-fry-french-fries.html

Also, Orenchi is good but its waaaaay too salty. Pho 90 is the best pho in south bay, especially if you get the handcut noodles.

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

Taima posted:

Pho is better to eat regularly, for health reasons if nothing else. The best is obviously Pho Y #1 on E Capitol Expressway in San Jose.

That being said, don't even talk poo poo on ramen until you've had the Tonkotsu ramen at Orenchi in San Jose. God. So incredible. Get there like 30 minutes before it opens, or be prepared to wait 45 minutes to an hour to get in.

Orenchi sucks, get the special pork salt ramen at Santouka.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Are there any times during the day / week that wait times at Swan Oyster Depot are best? Alternatively, are there any other paper plate seafood counter type places in San Francisco that are good? My wife and I are staying near the corner of Bush and Powell for reference, but we'll be out and about all week.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

People spazzing out over tonkotsu ramen is just weaboo bacon fetishism. Tonkotsu can be great but there's plenty of other ways to enjoy ramen that don't involve half a liter of pork fat.

As far as Swan goes it's busted. You can wait in line an hour with 100% tourists or find somewhere else to eat. I seriously don't know one local who's eaten there in the last 3 years.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Ehhh maybe we'll find somewhere else to eat then. Are there any other seafood counter or casual seafood places we should go instead?

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

b0lt posted:

Orenchi sucks, get the special pork salt ramen at Santouka.

Ok, I will totally do that, always on the hunt for a new place. But Orenchi by no means sucks, so I will assume you're exaggerating to make a point. Maybe you aren't a big tonkotsu guy?

Have a favorite banh mi in S. San Jose?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Ba Le and Saigon Deli in Oakland are both great for bahn mi.
Is the Bay Model in Sausalito worth visiting? What about the Marine Mammal center? I have not spent any time in Sausalito other than taking the ferry and biking back to the city.

• Locked thread