Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

AlphaDog posted:

Yes, I know how Carrot speaks.

The post I was responding to surprised me, because I would have remembered that since that sort of thing pisses me off, but it turns out that neither of the two versions of that book I own has the issue he's describing.

I was sure it was in the narration too, but maybe I'm wrong. It isn't consistent for sure. I know I've seen 3 or 4 times so far in Guards Guards and I'm only 63 pages in. And in books previous, too.

If he's trying to show a character's lack of education, I would feel a lot better about it if he said "shoulda" or something. "Should of" is just excruciating.

So for now let's say that it IS only in some character's dialogues, and I was wrong about it being in the narration. If I come across it outside of that, I'll let all y'all know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Should of used to be a verbal tic you would only encounter from English people. It has since spread although, thankfully, estuary English did not.

Bring back RP. :(

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

stratdax posted:

I was sure it was in the narration too, but maybe I'm wrong. It isn't consistent for sure. I know I've seen 3 or 4 times so far in Guards Guards and I'm only 63 pages in. And in books previous, too.

If he's trying to show a character's lack of education, I would feel a lot better about it if he said "shoulda" or something. "Should of" is just excruciating.

So for now let's say that it IS only in some character's dialogues, and I was wrong about it being in the narration. If I come across it outside of that, I'll let all y'all know.

I searched my Kindle version of the text of Guards! Guards! for "would of". It comes up only once, in dialogue. "Would have" is present 28 times in the rest of the book, including in that same character's dialogue (and in phrases like "it would have to be sorted out"). That seems to match my 1994 Corgi paperback, but I'm not going to find and check every instance. The first two are "would have".

Which publisher is your copy from?

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

AlphaDog posted:

I searched my Kindle version of the text of Guards! Guards! for "would of". It comes up only once, in dialogue. "Would have" is present 28 times in the rest of the book, including in that same character's dialogue (and in phrases like "it would have to be sorted out"). That seems to match my 1994 Corgi paperback, but I'm not going to find and check every instance. The first two are "would have".

Which publisher is your copy from?

From HarperCollins ebooks:
"she is called Reet, said, You should of seen him, there were".. pg 29, Carrot's letter home
"the captain should of let me have"... pg 189, Nobby
"Poor bugger. Could of happened to any of us".. pg 41, Nobby
"We couldn't of helped it".. pg 120, Nobby

There's more, different combinations of "should/n't, could/n't" (I've seen "might of" once or twice too) but it looks like I was wrong. It's all in dialogue. This is in every book I've read so far, but now I guess every time I've seen it has been in dialogue. I didn't want to make a big thing about it, I was just wondering if anybody else noticed.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

stratdax posted:

From HarperCollins ebooks:
"she is called Reet, said, You should of seen him, there were".. pg 29, Carrot's letter home
"the captain should of let me have"... pg 189, Nobby
"Poor bugger. Could of happened to any of us".. pg 41, Nobby
"We couldn't of helped it".. pg 120, Nobby

There's more, different combinations of "should/n't, could/n't" (I've seen "might of" once or twice too) but it looks like I was wrong. It's all in dialogue. This is in every book I've read so far, but now I guess every time I've seen it has been in dialogue. I didn't want to make a big thing about it, I was just wondering if anybody else noticed.

Oh, yeah, sorry dude. I was only searching specifically "would of", not should/would as well. Yeah, it's all dialogue, usually the watch or the witches.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
What Discworld are you reading where Carrot's letters home and Nobby wouldn't have bad grammar? :raise:

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Its their punctuation that, always amuses me when they, write.

Edit: Sgt. Colon's reports are the best.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

AlphaDog posted:

Its their punctuation that, always amuses me when they, write.

Edit: Sgt. Colon's reports are the best.

My 11-year old nephew got his school report the other day. His teacher had written "he has a ballistic approach to punctuation" in the comments section, which I believe is a direct quote from Vimes about Carrots' style of writing.

I like to think that the teacher tried his hardest to slip a Discworld quote into every single one of his pupils reports. It's the sort of thing Pratchett himself would probably find amusing.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

On Facebook Pratchett's publicist Lynsey has just revealed that:

quote:

Terry is currently working on a new Top Secret novel. What would you like to see him write next? - Lynsey

Well, answer the lady; what book would you like to see him write next?

If anything, I'd like to see him finish the story about Moist. Snuff wouldn't be a bad stop for Vimes (I really don't need to see Vimes die :( )

Edit: Another thing I would find interesting, was if Rhianna co-authored the book, or at least helped him. To ease people into the thought that she could pick up the universe when Pterry is too ill to continue.

Iacen fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jan 10, 2013

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes
Moist, please. I want to see Moist on Taxes.

I wouldn't mind more Vimes, but if he keeps doing Vimes chronologically instead of jumping back and having some more Night Watch or Monstrous Regiment-era Vimes (where he's basically doing his Ventinari-style stuff), we're basically going to have a Vimes that's the age of Rust yelling at people from his wheelchair. I can't deal with Vimes getting older faster than I am :(

Alliterate Addict fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jan 10, 2013

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I agree too with completing on the whole Moist arc. What ever happened to the Scouting book by the way?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
edit: ^^^^ Wasn't Scouting For Trolls going to be another football book?

If it's not Raising Taxes I'll be pretty disappointed. Moist and Adora are just too awesome, and the Moist books have the added awesomeness of often interacting with Cripslock and the newspaper crew.

In my dream world, there would also be a subplot that involved Vetinari trying to annex/levy taxes on Lancre (I don't care what the reasoning is, just give me my Vetinari/Granny stare-off already).

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Nah Scouting For Trolls was going to be Captain Carrot wasn't it? Trying to run a young offenders community service thing or something. That's my recollection at least.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

It literally was Carrot going to invent the Discworld version of youth scouting movement from what I can recall.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!
He already had in Jingo. I'm not sure if a full book on it would be fantastic or terrifying.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Alison Weatherwax. :colbert:

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Echoing Raising Taxes and maybe a return to the countries in Monstrous Regiment.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I'd like to see a sequel to Moving Pictures.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

More Granny/Nanny/Agnesxperdita.

Or something city based but non watch and non Moist.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

A spotlight on a supporting character from another novel. Perhaps Mightily Oats and his axe could have an adventure in Far Uberwald. I bet he'd be able to make notes on the changes in Borogravia on the way through.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Raising Taxes or whatever he's planning for Moist would be best. Nearly all of the other characters have been wrapped up to some extent. Rincewind is happily living a desperately boring life; Vimes ended with a literal snapshot in Thud! (I ignore Snuff because it was depressingly bad); Cohen is Viking'ing the poo poo out of space; Granny Weatherwax had a perfect finish in Carpe Jugulum, disregarding her minor role in Tiffany's story, which also finished well.

Moist's story is pretty much the story of Ankh Morpork and its future, and I think it's where Discworld's denouement should be. My main concern is we'll end up with a repeat of Snuff, where the prose was so awful it devalued the characters in my mind.

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.

Oxxidation posted:

Moist's story is pretty much the story of Ankh Morpork and its future, and I think it's where Discworld's denouement should be. My main concern is we'll end up with a repeat of Snuff, where the prose was so awful it devalued the characters in my mind.

Snuff surprised me with its thorough badness. The prose was one thing, but the inconsistencies with established characters, the shallowness of the newly-introduced characters, the lack of a clear antagonist for most of the novel, the random events nature of the plot...

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I've got to read Snuff and stop reading this thread for a bit as I got it for a christmas present and every time I check this thread is seems to be sliding lower and lower down on the appreciation scale.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

SeanBeansShako posted:

I've got to read Snuff and stop reading this thread for a bit as I got it for a christmas present and every time I check this thread is seems to be sliding lower and lower down on the appreciation scale.

You'd really be better off just leaving it on your shelf and not opening it. I'm serious. At best it's a below-average Discworld entry, at worst it will taint your impressions of previous books just by existing. It's a little harder for me to enjoy Night Watch, Thud! et al knowing that the possible terminus of the Vimes series is that book.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

You'd really be better off just leaving it on your shelf and not opening it. I'm serious. At best it's a below-average Discworld entry, at worst it will taint your impressions of previous books just by existing. It's a little harder for me to enjoy Night Watch, Thud! et al knowing that the possible terminus of the Vimes series is that book.

I enjoy Soul Music which is my favourite and I didn't think Moving Pictures was that bad. It could work! I could like it!

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
I liked Snuff just fine. It's not great, but it's still a Discworld book. Try it and see!

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
He should write the Final Discworld book.

Not because it should be the final book, but simply to have it prepared. In case there is a need for it. Very few authors can successfully plan an ending, due to real life. Pratchett is a philosophical genius and I'd very much like to read his take on An Ending. Having the series die off unfinished, like Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, actually RETROACTIVELY makes the rest of the series a depressing read.

I've said it before, The Last Hero felt like the Discworld Finale, and it would've been a fine one, but the series clearly lived beyond it.

Perhaps he should do another work of art that was The Last Hero and keep it prepared.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Oxxidation posted:

Huh, didn't think it was anywhere near that bad. Vimes and the other characters certainly are different from how they used to act, but worse I wouldn't say to that extent.

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

veekie posted:

Huh, didn't think it was anywhere near that bad. Vimes and the other characters certainly are different from how they used to act, but worse I wouldn't say to that extent.

I found it most annoying that Vimes became straight-up magical, in the lamest possible way, and indirectly supports a lynching. This is NOT the Vimes I came to know and love!

Also, Stratford was a hopelessly boring villain, and would have been even if he had been introduced earlier in the book.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Down With People posted:

Also, Stratford was a hopelessly boring villain, and would have been even if he had been introduced earlier in the book.

Terry's forte is not in his villains, once you get outside the remit of established world flavour, so discounting Vetinari, Rust (representing The Nobles), the now-vanished Auditors, the forgotten barely-even-a-Chekhov's-Gun of the Ice Giants, and the Elvenqueen, Demons and Dungeon Dimension Denizens. There are memorable gems like Carcer and Teatime, The New Firm and the von Uberwalds, but there's a lot of forgettable Edward D'eaths and Lupine Wonses and Cosmo Lavishes, too.

What do I want? I want a Carrot book.

I want Pterry to bite the bullet and evolve Carrot and Angua's relationship, Carrot's destiny, Vetinari's grand plan and his spot for Moist in it, Vetinari's relationship with Lady Margolotta, I want Young Sam to be given something interesting to say, I want Sybil to kill someone with a sword, and I want 71-Hour Ahmed back. Having the first (and only) Carrot book would be a great way to move things on or wind them down.

I also want a Susan book with Lobsang in tow and they're making a go of it. Maybe it doesn't work out, I don't mind, I just want to see them try. I want them exploring some obscene thing like the bowels of the Dungeon Dimensions, somewhere Vimes has no business being. And I want Rincewind to come too because I love Rincewind and I want him to be made to be the hero the story keeps trying to force him to be, just long enough to impress someone important to him. I'd like a Hrun callback. And I'd like Granny to meet him and Nanny to tease him a bit. And I want Death to have a long talk with them all.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm not sure there's a need for a penultimate Death scene because we already got that in Reaper Man.

e: And then got another one in Hogfather, in fact.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
"Penultimate" means "there is one more after this" so it makes sense that Death would show up again after a penultimate appearance in Reaper Man.

:goonsay:

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

precision posted:

I'm not sure there's a need for a penultimate Death scene because we already got that in Reaper Man.

e: And then got another one in Hogfather, in fact.

I'm not sure what you mean by this, I just want them to sit down and talk. The closes analogy would be Granny and Death talking in the barn over the baby and the calf.

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

Nilbop posted:

Terry's forte is not in his villains, once you get outside the remit of established world flavour, so discounting Vetinari, Rust (representing The Nobles), the now-vanished Auditors, the forgotten barely-even-a-Chekhov's-Gun of the Ice Giants, and the Elvenqueen, Demons and Dungeon Dimension Denizens. There are memorable gems like Carcer and Teatime, The New Firm and the von Uberwalds, but there's a lot of forgettable Edward D'eaths and Lupine Wonses and Cosmo Lavishes, too.

That's true, but Stanfield is still awful, even when compared to others. :colbert:

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

SeanBeansShako posted:

I enjoy Soul Music which is my favourite and I didn't think Moving Pictures was that bad. It could work! I could like it!

I also love Soul Music and thought that Moving Pictures wasn't bad and I was pretty disappointed by Snuff. Having said that, you should still read it, I think. Even a poor Pratchett book has some nice stuff in it.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE

SeanBeansShako posted:

I liked it! It's definitely slow off the mark and not as cleanly put together as his earlier stuff, understandably, but there's more fire in it than I've seen in just about any other Discworld book. It's brave in the territory it explores (for a Discworld book, at least) and surprisingly powerful if you let it be.

Stanfield is not super interesting, but he's more of a guy to chase than a capital-V Villain. The villains in Snuff (as in a lot of Discworld books) are more often tendencies or aspects of the human character than particular people. It really rolls its sleeves up in dealing with how communities normalize and facilitate atrocities.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

rejutka posted:

Alison Weatherwax. :colbert:

I was going to say Raising Taxes but actually this.

Or something that ties all of the Ankh-Morpork stories together in Vetinari's Grand Plan, His Great Work- A self-governing city.

I've been reading The Long Earth and it's just so nice. Every time I put it down I just have this optimistic feeling. I like the idea that with unlimited resources there'd be no war, the feeling of freedom people have, it's just so happy. It's like Utopian fiction and I don't think I've really read anything like it before. It makes a change from the usual grimdark fantasy at the moment.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Mister Roboto posted:

He should write the Final Discworld book.

Not because it should be the final book, but simply to have it prepared. In case there is a need for it. Very few authors can successfully plan an ending, due to real life. Pratchett is a philosophical genius and I'd very much like to read his take on An Ending. Having the series die off unfinished, like Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, actually RETROACTIVELY makes the rest of the series a depressing read.

I've said it before, The Last Hero felt like the Discworld Finale, and it would've been a fine one, but the series clearly lived beyond it.

Perhaps he should do another work of art that was The Last Hero and keep it prepared.

I wouldn't mind if Terry did plan this, and the art of The Last Hero was simply incredible. It shouldn't be limited to covers and novelty store items.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Echoing from earlier in the the thread but The Discworld Ankh-Morpork boardgame really is pretty fun and the artwork on the cards with it is pretty fancy too. The dice not having a number 8 on it is a nice detail as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
Okay, so, Turtle Recall. Who the hell is the guy on the very left of the cover image?