Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Finally got back in town to pick up my new bass and fffffuuuuuu

That top. That back. Holy god is this thing put together perfectly. The wenge neck and board bring me back to my Warwick days, but the sound is totally different. It's definitely less hard-edged than the white bass, but that thing is the grind machine and that's not what I wanted for this bass. The MM pickup sounds loving gigantic and split with the neck pickup it sounds like a really modern active Jazz. love love love love love love

I mean, I'm still going to get buried with the white bass, but my old high school jazz department will probably like this one better anyways when I die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen
Very slick. Compared to the white one, the body looks much bigger.

What do all the switches/knobs do?

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

They're the same size body, but the white one is a half inch thicker with rounder curves.

Volume / Blend / Passive Tone / Treble / Mid / Bass
Coil tap for the MM pickup / Mid shift / Active Passive

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Finally got back in town to pick up my new bass and fffffuuuuuu

That top. That back. Holy god is this thing put together perfectly. The wenge neck and board bring me back to my Warwick days, but the sound is totally different. It's definitely less hard-edged than the white bass, but that thing is the grind machine and that's not what I wanted for this bass. The MM pickup sounds loving gigantic and split with the neck pickup it sounds like a really modern active Jazz. love love love love love love

I mean, I'm still going to get buried with the white bass, but my old high school jazz department will probably like this one better anyways when I die.

Gorgeous. Let's hear some clips!

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Sorry, I don't actually play them, I just put them on my wall and occasionally rub them down with a cloth diaper.

I'm working on a video overview of all three of my Stambaughs, hope to do it while my wife is out of the house this weekend.

java
May 7, 2005

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Plenty of headphone amp solutions with aux ins.

At the cheap end, you could go with this: http://www.guitarworksinc.net/STORE/productdisplay.asp?productid=1423

FWIW, I wound up getting the Guitar Works Concept 3 headphone amp - it's been a real champ so far and exactly what I was looking for at twenty bucks.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
I've been thinking about moving to a shorter scale bass for a while now, and I finally decided to get the parts for a 32" scale Jazz from Warmoth after seeing some nice examples on Talkbass. It's gonna be a classic sunburst with a twist (several twists, actually).

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
Can anyone identify exactly what bass Britta Phillips is playing here? Some variety of Fender - just a p-bass or what?

Clickz for bigz.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Popcorn posted:

Can anyone identify exactly what bass Britta Phillips is playing here? Some variety of Fender - just a p-bass or what?

Clickz for bigz.

Most likely just a P-bass. I've never seen a tugbar on a P/J. Fiesta Red started showing up in the 60s, but always with a tortoise shell pickguard. I can't tell if that pickguard is anodized or painted, looks anodized, which was primarily a 50s thing. And the one top-hat style control knob is a replacement. Hard to tell without a closer look, can't really see the logo well enough, or the tuners.

In short... It's a P-Bass. Probably an American or Japanese reissue or custom shop job.

Scarf fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Mar 26, 2012

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It
Could also be a Fender Road Worn P-Bass made in Mexico: http://www.fender.com/products/roadworn/models.php?prodNo=013171
Fiesta red with gold anodized pickguard is a standard model. Just add a tugbar and a tophat knob and you're there.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
That's answered my question as closely as I needed. Thanks guys!

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Going from the headstock logo I think its probably an older American vintage reissue 57 Precision Bass, they used to come in Fiesta Red but now it looks like just sunburst and blonde - http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0190115801

Besides the Road Worn, there's also the 50's classic series that is available in the same color - http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0131702306

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum
Next weekend I am going to go look for my first bass. The store is Bass Northwest in Seattle if anyone is from the area. I am not sure what I am looking for, but is there anything I should look out for as a red flag (re: the instrument)? I'm mostly going to just try some different things out and see what feels right, but I want to make sure I do something stupid.

You can check out their awesome site from the 90s here: http://www.bassnw.com/contents.htm

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Sweeper posted:

Next weekend I am going to go look for my first bass. The store is Bass Northwest in Seattle if anyone is from the area. I am not sure what I am looking for, but is there anything I should look out for as a red flag (re: the instrument)? I'm mostly going to just try some different things out and see what feels right, but I want to make sure I do something stupid.

You can check out their awesome site from the 90s here: http://www.bassnw.com/contents.htm

What is your budget?

Be sure to plug it up to an amp and make sure it works, but more than that, turn the knobs, listen for any crackling or anything like that. And don't be afraid to ask one of the salespersons to demo the bass for you, if you're uncomfortable/unaware of what to listen for. Just have them put it through it's paces, see how it sounds with the tone rolled off, different pickups (if it has multiple), stuff like that. Give the tuning heads a very small twist in either direction, make sure they don't turn too easily or too stiffly. The saddles on the bridge should feel solid and should resist any jiggling while there's tension on it with the strings being tight and in tune.

When you're playing it, see how comfortable the action is. It shouldn't be too much of an effort to fret the strings, but at the same time they shouldn't be so low as to cause a lot of buzz when plucking them moderately. This of course can be changed to your liking, and any reputable shop should set up a newly purchased instrument for you, free of charge.

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Scarf posted:

What is your budget?

Be sure to plug it up to an amp and make sure it works, but more than that, turn the knobs, listen for any crackling or anything like that. And don't be afraid to ask one of the salespersons to demo the bass for you, if you're uncomfortable/unaware of what to listen for. Just have them put it through it's paces, see how it sounds with the tone rolled off, different pickups (if it has multiple), stuff like that. Give the tuning heads a very small twist in either direction, make sure they don't turn too easily or too stiffly. The saddles on the bridge should feel solid and should resist any jiggling while there's tension on it with the strings being tight and in tune.

When you're playing it, see how comfortable the action is. It shouldn't be too much of an effort to fret the strings, but at the same time they shouldn't be so low as to cause a lot of buzz when plucking them moderately. This of course can be changed to your liking, and any reputable shop should set up a newly purchased instrument for you, free of charge.

Budget is probably ~$600-800 for the bass and ~$400-600 for the amp (there is wiggle room, pretty rough budget right now).

Thanks for the advice, the store is stuffed with stuff so I'm hoping I'll find what I'm looking for.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different
I know it's not much but it's a small victory for me: I finally got the hang of the unison part in "Sir Duke" :unsmith: .

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Sweeper posted:

Budget is probably ~$600-800 for the bass and ~$400-600 for the amp (there is wiggle room, pretty rough budget right now).

Thanks for the advice, the store is stuffed with stuff so I'm hoping I'll find what I'm looking for.

That's a pretty nice budget considering it'll be your first... You'll be able to afford a good many mid-range new basses with that price, but don't be afraid to buy used if they have a good used inventory. Honestly you can't really go wrong with a Fender Precision or Jazz bass, particularly one made in 2008 or after, Mexican or American.

Do you play any other instruments? What's your experience with music equipment and amps and such?

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Sweeper posted:

So you've got about $1200-1400 combined for both bass and amp? I think you could definitely get a decent used Mexican-made Fender and a pretty giggable solid state amp and cabinet for that much money if you're patient and target used stuff. Check the Talkbass classifieds.

At the same time, and other people here might have different experiences, you might want to try to stay local for your bass, especially if you want a Fender. I think you just need to play an instrument to figure out whether it's really a good idea to buy. I wouldn't buy one sight unseen.

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

Sweeper posted:

The store is Bass Northwest in Seattle if anyone is from the area.

That's where I buy my strings; they have a nice selection of higher-end instruments (Mike Lull, Lakland &c.) and nothing seemed over-priced, but like any shop it's going to cost more than Craigslist. Make sure to post how your shopping went!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Sweeper posted:

Any idea what kind of stuff you want to play, or is there anyone you want to sound like?

Avian Pneumonia
May 24, 2006

ASK ME ABOUT MY OPINIONS ON CANCEL CULTURE
Is there any reason I shouldn't get my 1971 Fender P-Bass set-up for C-standard tuning? I'm a bit apprehensive about it.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Avian Pneumonia posted:

Is there any reason I shouldn't get my 1971 Fender P-Bass set-up for C-standard tuning? I'm a bit apprehensive about it.

What exactly would that entail?

Doomy
Oct 19, 2004

Avian Pneumonia posted:

If it's a question of just replacing the nut and setting the bridge up, why not? Tension will be the same if not lower (less tension on heavier strings at a lower tuning)

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Yeah, I mean, the Fender bass was made to have parts swapped out for repairs and such. And a ton of 3rd party manufacturers make specialize parts you'd need for something like that (larger-grooved nut, maybe new bridge saddles, etc.). I'd say as long as you keep any original parts you swap out, and don't do any permanent body modifications, go for it.

While early 70s Fender won't fetch a price like an early or even mid to late 60s Fender, you can still get a couple grand for an original one in good shape, should you ever decide to sell it.

In short, sell me your bass, dammit <:mad:>

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
My jazz band recently competed in a competition (where a couple members kinda choked on critical parts, but we still placed well.) We're playing some pretty badass jazz this year. In the runup to the competition, we walked into rehearsal right after spring break and were faced with a microphone right in the middle of the room. We're a bit sloppy around the edges because we hadn't rehearsed through break, but they turned out all right. Here's my personal favorite song out of our set: http://soundcloud.com/caseface-mcgee/lickety-split

I didn't think my vibrato was going to sing through as much as it did on the recording - fretless basses are best basses.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Just received my Musicman Toilet SeatBongo I purchased from eBay that I posted about earlier and I've lost on my gamble.

Shipping was delayed by a week as the store informed that one of the pots was acting up and that they had a new on on the way from Musicman. No big deal, I'm a patient person. However when I received it today I found the volume pot snapped off it's post and rattling around in the case. Not to mention what was described as "Used, excellent with a few light marks" really means "Used, fair condition with a ton of scuffs and a huge ding in the neck where the finish is completely chipped off.

So now I have what is basically a huge paperweight. Musicman pots are soldered onto a circuit board which makes replacement a bit more tricky/expensive. I've emailed the seller about the damage and I'm waiting to hear their response. I'm going to be pissed if I have to pay return shipping (like the ad says) as they sent me something that was apparently already broken and nowhere close to what the ad described.

tl;dr Don't buy guitars on eBay unless you can test drive them first. :argh:

Edit: Upon further inspection, the dings aren't terrible and the guitar will actually clean up well, but I'm still stuck in the water without a working volume pot. Derp.

Edit 2: Apparently when the knob broke, it didn't break in the off position. So I was pleasantly surprised when I plugged into my amp and saw I was getting signal. I know I can get a replacement pot from MM directly it's just finding a good guitar tech in the NoVA area is going to be a pain.

I'd much rather have the seller reimburse me for the repair instead of me paying for shipping back to them, having them replace it, and then risk having the knob snap off again on the way back to me.

JayKay fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Apr 3, 2012

DrChu
May 14, 2002

JayKay posted:

Just received my Musicman Toilet SeatBongo I purchased from eBay that I posted about earlier and I've lost on my gamble.

Shipping was delayed by a week as the store informed that one of the pots was acting up and that they had a new on on the way from Musicman. No big deal, I'm a patient person. However when I received it today I found the volume pot snapped off it's post and rattling around in the case. Not to mention what was described as "Used, excellent with a few light marks" really means "Used, fair condition with a ton of scuffs and a huge ding in the neck where the finish is completely chipped off.

So now I have what is basically a huge paperweight. Musicman pots are soldered onto a circuit board which makes replacement a bit more tricky/expensive. I've emailed the seller about the damage and I'm waiting to hear their response. I'm going to be pissed if I have to pay return shipping (like the ad says) as they sent me something that was apparently already broken and nowhere close to what the ad described.

tl;dr Don't buy guitars on eBay unless you can test drive them first. :argh:

Edit: Upon further inspection, the dings aren't terrible and the guitar will actually clean up well, but I'm still stuck in the water without a working volume pot. Derp.

Edit 2: Apparently when the knob broke, it didn't break in the off position. So I was pleasantly surprised when I plugged into my amp and saw I was getting signal. I know I can get a replacement pot from MM directly it's just finding a good guitar tech in the NoVA area is going to be a pain.

I'd much rather have the seller reimburse me for the repair instead of me paying for shipping back to them, having them replace it, and then risk having the knob snap off again on the way back to me.
Should've bought my Sterling ;)

I'm surprised the volume pot broke during transit, that's not a part that really gets bumped on anything (especially on a Bongo) in the case and they're pretty tough to begin with. Does the pot show signs of even being replaced in the first place by the store? Something is fishy there.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

DrChu posted:

Should've bought my Sterling ;)

I'm surprised the volume pot broke during transit, that's not a part that really gets bumped on anything (especially on a Bongo) in the case and they're pretty tough to begin with. Does the pot show signs of even being replaced in the first place by the store? Something is fishy there.

Yeah no kidding. :v:

At first I was going to call shenanigans on them replacing the pot as the knob looked old and dirty like the other knobs. I'm not sure if MM sends out a new Pot/Knob combo or just the pot as a replacement. However I'm going to assume they probably just reused the old knob.

In their defense, the case it arrived in was beat to hell. Not a stock MM case, but a "SKB Freedom" case so it wasn't a perfect fit. With the existing damage to the case, the poor fit, and the damage to the outer carton, I wouldn't be surprised if it got smacked around. There is another post on the Ernie Ball forums that talks about having their volume knob snap off their Bongo during shipping.

click for bigger

JayKay fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Apr 4, 2012

DrChu
May 14, 2002

JayKay posted:

click for bigger

It almost looks like that was broken glued back on before. You could loosening the set screw, using a strong magnet to get the broken shaft out of the knob, gluing it back on the pot if you just want a quick fix while waiting for the new pot to show up.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

DrChu posted:

It almost looks like that was broken glued back on before. You could loosening the set screw, using a strong magnet to get the broken shaft out of the knob, gluing it back on the pot if you just want a quick fix while waiting for the new pot to show up.

I noticed the glue too. :(

I don't want to mess with it too much till I figure out if the bass is going back or not/how bad the seller is going to try to dick me over. Luckily the knob was apparently turned up enough before it snapped so I can actually play. And boy oh boy is this thing a tone monster.

While it's seen better days, this thing still plays and sounds great. It needs a little TLC (cleaning, set up, new set of strings) but this should be awesome once the issues are cleared up.

Edit: I just poked around in the electronics and it looks like the volume pot had been re-soldered some time in the past. So it looks the pot was possibly replaced however it doesn't really explain the glue looking substance on the bottom of the knob. Also, I was able to remove the broken post from the knob just by loosening the set screw.

JayKay fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Apr 4, 2012

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Scarf posted:

That's a pretty nice budget considering it'll be your first... You'll be able to afford a good many mid-range new basses with that price, but don't be afraid to buy used if they have a good used inventory. Honestly you can't really go wrong with a Fender Precision or Jazz bass, particularly one made in 2008 or after, Mexican or American.

Do you play any other instruments? What's your experience with music equipment and amps and such?

I've played guitar for 6 years or so. I have two tube amps and a mexi strat with some custom shop pickups I found for cheap. My first amp is a Vox VT30 and my second amp is a Rivera 5512. I like tube amps, probably too much... I have a few pedals, but I'm not a huge effects and pedals person. I like to keep things simple.

I've been wanting to play bass for ~2 years, but I've been busy with guitar and life. I just started my internship so I figured I would buy something nice that I have wanted for a while. I need something loud enough to play with other people and in the future some shows after I graduate and have more time.

baka kaba posted:

Any idea what kind of stuff you want to play, or is there anyone you want to sound like?

I'm not trying to play a particular style of music, but I want to have a clean, clear and defined if that makes sense. (it doesn't really...) I'm not sure how to describe what I am looking for, but I know it when I hear it I guess. The kind of stuff I will mostly play will be classic rock I guess, mostly late 60s through the 70s. I like early Yes a lot :v: I really don't know what I will want to play, anything really

Sweeper fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Apr 4, 2012

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I was really fishing there to see if you wanted to play nu-metal or anything that would suit some kind of active-pickup 5+ string signal machine (I had a go on one of these the other week and it was fun as hell, working out the tone controls was a bit of a mission). Definitely worth playing around with a few things, although I recognise that website and you're not going to be low on options by the looks of things.

But yeah definitely try out a Precision and a Jazz, get a feel for them and then look at everything else, they're kinda your two main styles (like Strats and Les Pauls) that most everything else tends to lean towards in one way or another. Also Scarf would have probably told you to try a Lakland if he knew they sold them

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

baka kaba posted:

Also Scarf would have probably told you to try a Lakland if he knew they sold them

:shobon:

Honestly, for a first instrument, even with the budget, I wouldn't recommend such a large investment. Unless you can find a really good deal on a used Lakland, maybe an xx-01 series, maybe an xx-02 if you were lucky to find one sub $700 used. It mainly depends on the person and how serious they are about learning the bass. Since sweeper already has a solid 6 years of music experience, I wouldn't be as hesitant about recommending one. But anyone completely new to playing music in general, I wouldn't recommend an investment that large.

Now, for amps, if you're wanting a good clean and defined tone, I'd recommend either Genz Benz or Mark Bass. But I don't know if you'd be able to find a suitable setup for your budget, both can get pretty pricey. I assume that if you find a bass you like for under your budget, you'd just use the remainder towards your amp budget?

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Scarf posted:

Now, for amps, if you're wanting a good clean and defined tone, I'd recommend either Genz Benz or Mark Bass. But I don't know if you'd be able to find a suitable setup for your budget, both can get pretty pricey. I assume that if you find a bass you like for under your budget, you'd just use the remainder towards your amp budget?

Mark Bass is indeed very clean and it seems a lot of people like them. I've got a 2x10 MarkBass combo that I've been considering selling for a little while. Not really my sound, but a Rusty Box takes care of that. Also it's super light and plenty loud. Gonna play a show with it tonight, and for times I want to be louder I just plop it on top of a 4x10 and the six speakers plus extra power at 4 ohms do a ton of work.

edit: I'm in Seattle btw Sweeper if this is a thing you'd like to check out. Never been to Bass Northwest though

FancyMike fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Apr 4, 2012

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

FancyMike posted:

Mark Bass is indeed very clean and it seems a lot of people like them. I've got a 2x10 MarkBass combo that I've been considering selling for a little while. Not really my sound, but a Rusty Box takes care of that. Also it's super light and plenty loud. Gonna play a show with it tonight, and for times I want to be louder I just plop it on top of a 4x10 and the six speakers plus extra power at 4 ohms do a ton of work.

edit: I'm in Seattle btw Sweeper if this is a thing you'd like to check out. Never been to Bass Northwest though

I would be interested in checking out the amp! Fair warning: I am a slow shopper and probably won't buy anything for at least another month or so. Where are you playing tonight? Is it in the city?

Scarf posted:

:shobon:

Honestly, for a first instrument, even with the budget, I wouldn't recommend such a large investment. Unless you can find a really good deal on a used Lakland, maybe an xx-01 series, maybe an xx-02 if you were lucky to find one sub $700 used. It mainly depends on the person and how serious they are about learning the bass. Since sweeper already has a solid 6 years of music experience, I wouldn't be as hesitant about recommending one. But anyone completely new to playing music in general, I wouldn't recommend an investment that large.

Yeah my budget isn't very tight, if I find something I really like I will get it if I think it is worth the money. I want something solid that I really like more than I want to save a couple hundred dollars. I'm going to be playing on this stuff for at least the next 5 years so it would suck to pass up on something I really like.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Sweeper posted:

Yeah my budget isn't very tight, if I find something I really like I will get it if I think it is worth the money. I want something solid that I really like more than I want to save a couple hundred dollars. I'm going to be playing on this stuff for at least the next 5 years so it would suck to pass up on something I really like.

Then absolutely check out any used Laklands that they may have in stock. The U.S. models will still be close to $2k used, but the Skyline (import) series are pretty incredible feeling/sounding. It's really only the body and neck that are imported (with the exception of the xx-01 series), all of the electronics and finishing/setup are done in Chicago.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen
Sweeper, I had the same Mark Bass Combo FancyMike has. It's the CMD102P. Great amp, and while it is very clean and can be somewhat colored with the amp itself, it doesn't have a distinctive sound IMO. With that, you can color it however you wish with a VT Bass pedal or something similar. The amp works VERY well for small to medium sized places. When gigging, you just gotta tell the sound dude where the DI is or else he'll try plugging it in on the front. Best part about that combo - the kick back functionality so you can hear yourself or project it more upwards. Pair it up with an auralex pad and you'll isolate your sound much better instead of it being absorbed into the stage.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Sweeper posted:

I would be interested in checking out the amp! Fair warning: I am a slow shopper and probably won't buy anything for at least another month or so. Where are you playing tonight? Is it in the city?

Well, I'm in no real hurry to get rid of it. Feel free to PM me or whatever and you can check it out sometime. Tonight I'm playing at the Sunset in Ballard. I just joined this band because their last bassist quit and the drummer's a friend of mine who played in my other (noisier, more aggressive, louder) band up until a few months ago. We're playing first and I know nothing about the other bands. Also, fair warning about hearing the sound of the amp: I run a Rusty Box on all the time as a preamp and don't really do 'clean' though on its own a MarkBass definitely is that.

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum
So I was listening to some music and I have decided that I like the bass on The Beatles album Let It Be... Naked. Smooth, full, just sounds good to me.

FancyMike posted:

Well, I'm in no real hurry to get rid of it. Feel free to PM me or whatever and you can check it out sometime. Tonight I'm playing at the Sunset in Ballard. I just joined this band because their last bassist quit and the drummer's a friend of mine who played in my other (noisier, more aggressive, louder) band up until a few months ago. We're playing first and I know nothing about the other bands. Also, fair warning about hearing the sound of the amp: I run a Rusty Box on all the time as a preamp and don't really do 'clean' though on its own a MarkBass definitely is that.

I couldn't make it to your show, I went to see Wrath of the Titans in the Imax. Movie sucked, not enough action or titans. I do not recommend paying to see it. Do you have any recommendations for shows this weekend? I'm trying to get a feel for the music scene in Seattle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Sweeper posted:

So I was listening to some music and I have decided that I like the bass on The Beatles album Let It Be... Naked. Smooth, full, just sounds good to me.

I couldn't make it to your show, I went to see Wrath of the Titans in the Imax. Movie sucked, not enough action or titans. I do not recommend paying to see it. Do you have any recommendations for shows this weekend? I'm trying to get a feel for the music scene in Seattle

New in town?

Seattle chat:

I guess the list of good shows depends on what you're into. There seems to be something here for most tastes. Personally I tend toward noisier stuff so I'll probably be at the Black Lodge tonight for Haunted Horses and White Coward. Out of town for the weekend, but the only show I'd go to anyway is Strong Killings on Saturday at the Sunset. I like that band.

Absolute Monarchs have a record release show in a couple weeks at the Comet. They're pretty great but I probably won't go. The one show I'm really looking forward to right now is May 11 at the Comet. The Ruby Doe, Akimbo, Dog Shredder. If you're into heavier music I'd recommend not missing this one.