Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Siivola posted:

Toto?

I keep reading how Steve Lukather is amazing, so hey I'll give them a shot.

Toto was a group of session musicians from LA who were tired of not getting enough credit for their work. They were all very technically proficient, but no one really brought particularly strong songwriting skills to the table. They were good enough to ape the currently popular styles and put out a few hits, but they never really gelled as a band. "Hold the Line", "Rosanna" and "Africa" are their best-known work, but a lot of their other hits were completely forgettable soft rock pablum. Those are all off their first and fourth albums (Toto and Toto IV), so you could give those a listen, but maybe don't go in with incredibly high hopes.

(The one exception to all that is their work with Brian Eno on the soundtrack to David Lynch's Dune movie. That's very different from their other work and worth a listen.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

The Toto post is correct in basically all regards, but don't get your hopes up about Dune: Eno didn't actually work with Toto, he just contributed one track he produced on his own with Roger Eno and Daniel Lanois.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

That Guy From Pearldiver posted:

Forgive me, I know this has probably been discussed before,

I have no idea where to begin with Sparks?

There’s roughly three eras.

First era is something like 10cc, Supertramp and a little like early Oingo Boingo. Kimono My House is the go-to for this, and Propaganda is a good follow-up. This era ends with ‘77’s Introducing Sparks, and all of the albums in that era have good songs.

Their 2nd, most prominent era, the New Wave-ish era, starts with No. 1 In Heaven, which is my favorite album of theirs. Angst In My Pants in their most well-known in this era. Terminal Jive is also great. I think every album from No. 1 In Heaven to Interior Design rules.

I’m less familiar with their 90’s to now output, but everything I’ve listened to has been pretty good. Even their 2020 album is good.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I've been researching Odd Future a little and so I think I'll ask where to start with the two guys who were the most famous/successful in the group.

Where do I start with Frank Ocean and Tyler, The Creator? I've heard good things about Channel Orange, and I know that Tyler's really early work is kind of gross in a 'trying to be shocking like early Eminem" way but he gets really good around Cherry Bomb/Flower Boy/IGOR

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
For Tyler I'd probably say Wolf > Flower Boy > Igor in that order. I personally liked Cherry Bomb but most people didn't so maybe come back to it (and Bastard and Goblin to a lesser extent) if you still want more after hitting all the high points.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Just listened to Hate To Say I Told You So and I'm hooked, where do I go with the rest of The Hives

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Junpei posted:

Just listened to Hate To Say I Told You So and I'm hooked, where do I go with the rest of The Hives

The other big hit they had was Walk Idiot Walk, and I remember a song called Die Alright but other than that not much stuck out

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Junpei posted:

Listen to anything by the New Bomb Turks and learn where The Hives got all their stuff from.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I bought The Black and White Album and Veni Vidi Vicious (Hate to Say is track 6) a few years ago. Both are outstanding, I'd never paid much attention to them before but both albums are just full of turn-it-up-to-11-and-scream-along songs.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Did the Spin Doctors ever do anything really good besides Two Princes?

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Junpei posted:

Little miss can't be wrong was their other mild hit

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

What Time Is It is good.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
The first time I went to Las Vegas was in the early 2000s, and as I was checking into my room , someone outside was really blasting the spin doctors loud. Which would have been odd in 93 but was really odd in 2002. It turned out it was the spin doctors. They were at the pool.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Junpei posted:

their two (yes, two) other big hits were on the same album, so there's a strong overlap in the venn diagram of the pocket full of kryptonite album and a theoretical spin doctors' greatest hits record

their stuff gets more 90s jam bandy as you go, so your tolerance for the HORDE sound is going to be your barometer for digging in

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Spotify played some Death Grips, somehow deciding that was a logical band to play after my Radiohead playlist reached the end. And apparently Spotify was right because I really vibed to it. Best Death Grips album to start with?

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

regulargonzalez posted:

Spotify played some Death Grips, somehow deciding that was a logical band to play after my Radiohead playlist reached the end. And apparently Spotify was right because I really vibed to it. Best Death Grips album to start with?

I'd say start with The Money Store and then move forward if you enjoy it. I stopped following them after No Love for Deep Web after some of their concert stunts so I have no idea if their albums get better or worse.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

regulargonzalez posted:

The Money Store for sure. Opinions vary on all their other work but I also love Bottomless Pit and Jenny Death. It's all good.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

quote:

The Money Store

This is amazing. I want to get through the whole album but I keep replaying Hacker

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I've Seen Footage helped me sell my late uncle's audiophile speakers, that song is awesome. I went backwards after The Money Store since Ex-military is free on their website.

I'm going to regret asking this I bet, but what were the concert stunts?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

IUG posted:

I've Seen Footage helped me sell my late uncle's audiophile speakers, that song is awesome. I went backwards after The Money Store since Ex-military is free on their website.

I'm going to regret asking this I bet, but what were the concert stunts?

Mostly just not showing up. They had a big festival date that they no-showed and just projected something on the screen. They were also going to open for NIN and Soundgarden in 2014 but “broke up” about three weeks before the tour started. This led to me seeing Oneohtrix Point Never in broad daylight at a big amphitheater rock show which was pretty funny.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

They also cancelled a tour a couple weeks before it kicked off. But didn’t tell anyone. And didn’t properly cancel it so people got stiffed on refunds for way longer than you should have done to fans.

Edit: tour might be overselling it. I just remember a three night stand in the Bay Area (slims?) but it took like a month after the date passed before people got refunds. A much younger friend had tickets to all three nights and wasn’t really in a position to wait until a month after the show to get a refund rather than just “TBD rescheduled” or whatever got pulled on him. It’s hosed up to people who want to see you. If you want to pull something like that cool but punch up, not down.

Voodoofly fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jun 15, 2021

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Where to best start with Magazine?

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Is there a blues/blues rock thread in this subforum?

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

You can start and finish with Real Life imo.

If you want more I guess listen to Marquee Moon.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

That’s a weird comparison to me. Magazine sounds way more like Stranglers than Television. Real Life is all I’ve ever listened to actually. It’s perfectly fine but didn’t strike me as anything special.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

me your dad posted:

Where to best start with Magazine?

Anyone who doesn't recommend to you The Correct Use of Soap fails to acknowledge how awesome a song "A Song from Under the Floorboards" really is and their cover of "Thank You (Fallen Tine Be Mice Elf) is no slouch as well.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

CarForumPoster posted:

Is there a blues/blues rock thread in this subforum?
There’s a generic rock thread, but not one for the blues specifically.

:justpost:

Edit: Speaking of generic rock, Toto sucks! Thanks for warning me guys.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Where do I start with Palm? I'm a dude who loves bass-and-groove-heavy compositions, so I love what I've heard of their work, but the only songs I've saved are Second Ward and Composite. Both are good, but I want to know a little more from more cultured music fans about their place in their own cultural timeframe in general.

So bands or influential acts around them are welcome as well, if that additional request is okay in this thread.

Blue Labrador fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Jun 23, 2021

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
What's are the better Dragonforce albums? Like the rest of the world I mostly only know that song from Guitar Hero 3 and I'd like to explore the back catalogue a bit, see if the other songs grab me.

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

Beatles controversy aside, is Klaatu worthwhile?

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

Turbinosamente posted:

What's are the better Dragonforce albums? Like the rest of the world I mostly only know that song from Guitar Hero 3 and I'd like to explore the back catalogue a bit, see if the other songs grab me.

There's basically 2 eras of Dragonforce at the moment, their first 4 albums (Valley of the Damned to Ultra Beatdown) and then they changed vocalist with The Power Within and moved to not having every song be 6+ minutes long and crammed full of extended dueling solo sections.

Before GH3, Sonic Firestorm was the album got them known in metal circles (for good and band), so probably go for that. Though the first 4 albums albums are really a case of which big songs and production you like the most (or heard first and have nostalgia for). So a lot of stuff is gonna be really similar to Through The Fire and Flame

The other one would be their latest - Extreme Power Metal, as people seem dig as a more balanced album, but I haven't checked it out myself.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Sir Nose posted:

Beatles controversy aside, is Klaatu worthwhile?

Their first album is pretty good. It's all pretty derivative, and I expect that it will be more than enough for you, but Calling Occupants and Sub-Rosa Speedway are pretty good tracks. It's a strong listen throughout.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

DroneRiff posted:

Before GH3, Sonic Firestorm was the album got them known in metal circles (for good and band), so probably go for that. Though the first 4 albums albums are really a case of which big songs and production you like the most (or heard first and have nostalgia for). So a lot of stuff is gonna be really similar to Through The Fire and Flame

The other one would be their latest - Extreme Power Metal, as people seem dig as a more balanced album, but I haven't checked it out myself.

the album that got them known in metal circles was actually probably Demoniac - Prepare For War, and it's also the only even vaguely respectable thing they've done.

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~
It has taken me 26 years, my entire life, to finally give a listen to Fleetwood Mac's Rumours and holy poo poo it is an amazing album. Where else do I go from there, and what else in Stevie's discography should I look into?

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Stalins Moustache posted:

It has taken me 26 years, my entire life, to finally give a listen to Fleetwood Mac's Rumours and holy poo poo it is an amazing album. Where else do I go from there, and what else in Stevie's discography should I look into?

Oh, I love me some Fleetwood Mac.

First off - did your version of Rumors include "Silver Springs?" If not, listen to that song. It was the B-side to "Go Your Own Way" and was the best song from those sessions. It's also makes for a super awkward single when you think about it, and it was the source of a lot of tension since Stevie did not like the fact that it was left off the album. And she was right.

From Rumors, you should listen to Fleetwood Mac (1975) and then Tusk. FM is pretty strong and is in the same vein as Rumors, and is the first album with Buckingham/Nicks. Rhiannon is a stone cold classic. Tusk is cocaine, the album. You have Buckingham playing these punk influence songs and putting out some strange stuff, McVie and Nicks are doing their thing. Tusk is a brutal song and it's one of the strangest sounding songs to be a top 10. Sara is another fantastic song.

Tango the Night and Mirage both have strong material, and the hits are really strong. Hold Me and Gypsy were fantastic tracks, and Little Lies may be one of the best songs they ever did. Seven Wonders is another good one. If not for the weird grunting voices, Big Love would be great, but those voices disgust me for some reason. And then throw in "As Long As You Follow" from Greatest Hits, and you got some really top tier tracks.

But wait! There's more!

Because now you can dive into the earliest Fleetwood Mac stuff.

This is where things get tough. 50 Years - Don't Stop has a three disk version, and disk one covers a lot of the non-album tracks.

For albums, it gets a little confusing. Their earlier stuff leaned pretty heavily on the blues. Their third album, And Then Play On is a really good album, DVD it will give you Oh Well and the Green Manalishi with the Three Pronged Crown singles. But you need to get Man of the World single. Albatross and Black Magic Woman were also fantastic, and Albatross was a huge hit in England.

Peter Green rotates out and things get weird. The next few years are mixed bags, to be sure. Kiln House, especially the version from Rhino's recent boxset which includes the Dragonfly single, is actually a really good album and has a lot of good material. It's also the period where Christine McVie enters the band and she starts off as a good songwriter.

Bare Trees is from the Bob Welch era, and it's another strong entry. Sentimental Woman would later be rerecorded by Welch a few years after he left the band, and it would become a hit. Funny enough, Lindsay Buckingham plays guitar on that track. I think Mick Fleetwood also plays drums, and maybe another person from Fleetwood Mac is there. Mystery to Me is another one worth checking out. Although that earlier period is also covered pretty well by the first disk of 50 Years.

The stuff after 1990 is mostly inessential. For example, Peace Keeper is a bit of a rewrite of Kodachrome without the joy. Say You Will is a pretty good song.

Also, get yourself a copy of Buckingham/Nicks, which they did before Fleetwood Mac. You'll have to... go off the grid for that one, or get a used vinyl copy.

As far as Stevie Nicks, I know her first two solo albums are really popular. I'm actually not super familiar with it all.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
Stevie Nick’s first solo album is pretty good, not much filler, and she used an excellent lineup of studio musicians, along with Mike Campbell and Benmont Tench of the Heartbreakers, and duets with Petty and Don Henley. The album started fairly slow-selling, but big hits Edge of Seventeen and Stop Dragging’ My Heart Around propelled it near the top of the charts for over a year.

Unfortunately, as her drug addiction deepened, the albums got worse - The Wild Heart, her second solo album was definitely a step downward in quality, although the huge success of Stand Back helped sales a ton, and another stellar group of studio hands, including Don Felder, The Heartbreakers w/Petty, Steve Luckather, Roy Bittan of Springsteen’s band, Waddy Wachtel and Mick Fleetwood.

After that, it’s mostly bad and gets worse as her horrific prescription benzo addiction gets it’s claws deeper into Nicks and she slowly turns into a bloated zombie.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

JnnyThndrs posted:

Stevie Nick’s first solo album is pretty good, not much filler, and she used an excellent lineup of studio musicians, along with Mike Campbell and Benmont Tench of the Heartbreakers, and duets with Petty and Don Henley. The album started fairly slow-selling, but big hits Edge of Seventeen and Stop Dragging’ My Heart Around propelled it near the top of the charts for over a year.

Unfortunately, as her drug addiction deepened, the albums got worse - The Wild Heart, her second solo album was definitely a step downward in quality, although the huge success of Stand Back helped sales a ton, and another stellar group of studio hands, including Don Felder, The Heartbreakers w/Petty, Steve Luckather, Roy Bittan of Springsteen’s band, Waddy Wachtel and Mick Fleetwood.

After that, it’s mostly bad and gets worse as her horrific prescription benzo addiction gets it’s claws deeper into Nicks and she slowly turns into a bloated zombie.

She cleaned up a while ago and sounds great now. Nothing but love for Stevie nicks.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

BigFactory posted:

She cleaned up a while ago and sounds great now. Nothing but love for Stevie nicks.

Yes she did, and I’m very glad to see it.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Bill Laswell?

I like some of the random stuff I’ve heard him on but every time I try to listen to his albums I’m flummoxed. I first heard him years ago in this Japanese jazz thing called Tokyo Rotation where he sat in with DJ Krush and some great Japanese jazz guys playing this very cool atmospheric stuff. But then he has punk albums and stuff I can’t figure out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I know most of Whitney Houston's big hits (I Wanna Dance With Somebody, I Will Always Love You, I'm Your Baby Tonight, her version of I'm Every Woman, I Have Nothing) but I'm not sure where to start a deeper dive aside from The Bodyguard soundtrack