Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

uranus posted:

i played a game.

http://eidogo.com/#3fK4Izwlh

the whole top should have been dead but for a series of blunders on my part. i fell pray to the 'match your opponents speed' problem that i often have in online games. take hand off the mouse between moves!

this style of play seems really bad though, the games they do win must be just through brute forceing a fuckup out of their opponent

In response to white 20 I would take an empty corner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
We established that White can resist that with ko. Look for unconditional kill.

Shadonra
Oct 16, 2012
h1 again, duh

Shadonra fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jul 15, 2015

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
wow spoilers

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
huh. tygem weird. randomly gained 800 rating points for winning one game against someone my same rank.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

i just rerolled on tygem to a 3k from korea so i can actually get games

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
tygem is the easiest place to get games ive found

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
igs is good too but i dont like that i cant choose the time setting

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

... and holy poo poo these guys are aggressive. it's insane!

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
yeah ive noticed that at my level too. got to play calm or die.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Tygem 18k is where the real fun is. :getin:

Prodigious
May 6, 2007
On an epic quest to find spiky rocks to upgrade my club
how play the go

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
Play stone, take liberty

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
http://playgo.to/interactive/

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
i'm pretty sure he knows how to play

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
Oh. I didn't know

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

I'm going to polish my fighting skills on these Tygem people and return to KGS a more complete warrior.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
tygme:

every single game

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
i would like a lesson on how to take advantage of this opening as white

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Depends entirely on the rest of the board, of course, the diagram is insufficient in that regard. But if you extend at Q14, then black will most likely play the low stone at O17 or the higher stone at O16 which is more territorial but also has greater aji.

Either way you'll want to make a basic extension of 2 stones at Q11. If black doesn't respond with O17 or O16, I beleive white should attach at P16 with the aim to create a shimmering radiance of outer influence towards the center.

I would see what a Dan or someone with a fuseki book says, though. I used EidoGo for the board positions BTW.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
i remembered soemthing wuchou showed me months ago

is this the answer to the sequence that happens like 90% of the time i approach a corner on tygem:

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

In that case I'd split the two groups, let white live in gote and then attack the poo poo out of the two stones on the outside

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
not immediately of course but later. the corner is too good as is so they owe a move to make it secure? i think.. that seems right

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
oiseaux we keep jynxing

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

THat;s because we're both terrible

IMlemon
Dec 29, 2008
Many people think kicking without pincer in place is bad but it can be used in some cases: http://eidogo.com/#2WlbJar51 if black has something in the lower right to negate influence white is getting it's a good result.

WuChou
Aug 28, 2002

Cosmic.
Yeah it's very board dependent to attack the corner after the kick. You'll actually see the variation lemons posted above a lot with Korean players, in my experience at least. You also do generally want to do the outside attach versus the low extension, rather than the invasion (at the 3-3 point instead of the 2-3 point.)

The basic variations I remember for dealing with the kick. But, as said above, always situational that you even want to do any of this. I just see a lot of players in the DDK range thinking they can kick and it's an instant huge corner and there's nothing you can do about it, when it's pretty easy to at least reduce, just take care of your outside group or as oiseaux said they will probably let you have a gote life and return the favor immediately against your outside stones.
http://eidogo.com/#2bC8JfmKA:0,0

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

uranus posted:

i remembered soemthing wuchou showed me months ago

is this the answer to the sequence that happens like 90% of the time i approach a corner on tygem:

There's a serious on baduk tv about the 3-3 invasion after the kick joseki.

Also :laffo: at the thought that prodigious didn't play Go.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
I don't know you people

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

It was quite ironic.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
like ten thousand forcing moves when all you need is sente

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
haylee playing against nick sibicky and andrew jackson tomorrow night

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PL4pGoTqDjo

gunna be really interesting to listen to her comments

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
also holy wow is lessons in the fundementals of go really good. already 1/3 through it, its very enjoyable read and doesnt feel like 'studying' at all.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

uranus posted:

also holy wow is lessons in the fundementals of go really good. already 1/3 through it, its very enjoyable read and doesnt feel like 'studying' at all.

If you cannot see the obvious properness of this move, you have learned nothing!

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

uranus posted:

It's a big reason I've gone from feeling like I'm an idiot who happens to win randomly to having an unexpected ounce of confidence. Just having a well-written book about connectedness, good shape, and the like helps refocus things.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

mycophobia posted:

I don't know you people

It's alright there was no way to know, our friends here are being unfair

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Pander posted:

If you cannot see the obvious properness of this move, you have learned nothing!

If black plays there then he has no business playing go and should kill himself

Whistling Asshole
Nov 18, 2005
http://i.imgur.com/MhQjE0r.png
Ladder? I hardly know her!!!

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Ouch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU