Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
That generation Tuono can be had here in the states for ~4k if you shop around. I personally have no issues with the stock Sachs shock and apparently some of the ohlins the RSV bikes came with weren't that great. YMMV.

TheFonz:
If that bike has sat for any period of time you may end up needing to split the crank cases and redo the seals. Typically RDs do not do well sitting for long periods of time. If you do run it without going through the bottom end keep a very close eye on your transmission oil. Also please for the love of god don't "cafe" it - also leave the stock wheels as they are nice and light. Some people like to put on the mag rd400 wheels but they are heavy as piss compared to the spoked wheels. The best place to spend your money are on getting the charging system working well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3
n8r:
This is my third RD. I'm super aware of all of their issues and I plan on just getting this one running and then restoring it. I think mag wheels are retarded, since they are heavier and uglier. I'm big into the "cafe" style as you call it, but that is what my 250 is for, not this one, thanks for the concern about me not "cafe"ing my own bike though.

Also, after we unseized the top end, we just rubbed and buffed all the carbon off and are going to give it a shot at firing up after we clean the tank and carbs and get a battery for it. I have 3 RD cases and 6 top ends now, so I'm not too concerned about it getting fried if it needed a bore.

Edit: Also, to sound less dickish, "Cafe" to me means less weight, more power and simpler electronics. Not Skinny Jeans, PBRs and coffee shops.

TheFonz fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Aug 26, 2011

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
God damnit I love Tuonos and the second I sell my FZ6 and get one I'm never going to stop talking about it. Sorry in advance.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Ziploc posted:

Finally got around to putting some real KMs on it. Guess I can call it mine now!

Looks wonderful. Where did the engine-guard bars come from? I've decided I need some.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Looks wonderful. Where did the engine-guard bars come from? I've decided I need some.

I have no idea. Previous owner doesn't either as they were on it when he bought it. I guess he didn't think to ask then either. I'll see if there are identifying marks on it anywhere.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
Didn't know we had so many Tuono fans. :ohdear:

Picking it up from the dealership tomorrow morning, so when I actually get the chance to give it a clean I will take some better pictures for the benefit of the Tuonoists Anonymous support group.

I spent much of the week literally explaining to irate private sellers, who all resolutely refused to believe me, why their Tuono wasn't worth as much as they thought, and in the end once you include the warranty, service etc. a dealer bike ended up being a better deal. Also coming with good 2CTs instead of the more usual sport touring rubber, so that should see me through to the start of winter proper.

Not my favourite colour (though I don't hate any of them) , but it was a decent deal on a clean bike with history and the Akrapovic, which is worth a 8-9 horses (!) and a little over 4 kilograms saved. It should make the correct noise as well. Only thing I don't like is the Aprilia crash bungs. R&G's product actually looks like something you'd expect a factory to spec, whereas the genuine article as supplied with every Tuono looks like a China e-bay seller's cheapest offerings.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Might just be the angle, but the pipe on that Tuono looks just about ready to sizzle the rear indicator. I'm guessing it won't?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Odette posted:

Might just be the angle, but the pipe on that Tuono looks just about ready to sizzle the rear indicator. I'm guessing it won't?

Nah, there's no cat in the exhaust and the exhaust pulses aren't in direct line with the indicator.

See the KTM 690SMC for a bike that has the exhaust kill the indicators from the factory.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Z3n posted:

Nah, there's no cat in the exhaust and the exhaust pulses aren't in direct line with the indicator.

See the KTM 690SMC for a bike that has the exhaust kill the indicators from the factory.

Aprilia: No more horsepower! We haz catpower! Meowwwwwwwwwww.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

Saga posted:

Didn't know we had so many Tuono fans. :ohdear:

I think your review in the chatting thread made most of them, including myself.

My new...desktop backround

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
Got it home - barely avoiding spousal meltdown - but it badly needed a clean, so will be doing that before any pics. The exhaust does angle in slightly, but yeah, it's not near the indicator. My KDX's right rear indicator in contrast was directly in line with the pro circuit silencer. It gradually turned black and shrivelled up like a grape, and eventually I took the indicators off.

Only took the Tuono for a 2 minute blast around the trading estate to check it was all working before loading it onto the trailer. The power delivery with the Akra on the 2-1 OEM headers is actually more vicious than the higher hp 2-2 system I tried out the other week. - The latter fills in the power curve with a massive bulge in the midrange, whereas the race slip on gives a huge torque increase below 5k and another at 8-9k. So if you pick up the front below 5k in second, it revs straight through the flat spot to 8 or 9 it then tries to yank you past the balance point. I will just have to practice my wheelies a lot and make sure the back brake is well bled. Oh well, life is hard!

With winter in mind, first thing I'm doing tomorrow is to check out the battery and see about fitting a YTX14 with better CCA. Have ordered an Optimate 4 tender and am going to set it up with the plug extension for the battery terminals so I can plug it into the tender when I get home.

It's had a recent chain, but with what look like generic and already corroding JT sprockets, so will probably go for the supposedly de rigeur 16/44 regearing (from 17/42) and a supersprox on the back. This is supposed to make it easier to live with at walking pace. I might start with just the 44t and see if it needs it first though, as almost all of my miles are out in the country.

Bonus item that the dealer missed completely out of their ad - it came with a Scottoiler, so I'll have to take the panels off, check it's working and top up the reservoir.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Z3n posted:

The 690 exhaust is loving roasty anyways, yeah? I rode a couple times with a guy who had one and he melted his pants

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Phy posted:

The 690 exhaust is loving roasty anyways, yeah? I rode a couple times with a guy who had one and he melted his pants

It's like a stainless steel nuclear furnace. One of my fears with this bike is binning it and getting a leg trapped next to the can.

Weirdly, the UK/AUS edition on the bike doesn't have a problem with indicators melting, they got positioned next to the plate well out of the way, I can only assume it's some freaky regulation that meant they were next to the pipe in other countries.

Didn't stop me hacking the tail back though:

Don't let the diminutive size fool you, they're easily as bright as the stock incandescents.

BaKESAL3
Nov 7, 2010
NEW BIKE! 2006 GSXR-1000 with 2472 miles on the ODO.

After spending 3 months of searching for a bike where most adds are auctioned off repo bikes with no history and lots of miles I stumbled across this beauty.

The bike was owned by a friend of the local Suzuki dealer down here and was completely immaculate. Only thing done to the bike has been the fender eliminator, otherwise it's bone stock and unmolested. Judging by the rear tire which is original as well as the front(getting them swapped out for new ones) the PO did mostly freeway and city riding.

It was late in the day and they were closing when I finally got down to signing everything off so I'll be picking it up tomorrow bright and early. Real pics and thoughts monday.

BaKESAL3 fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Aug 28, 2011

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Finished my MSF today and brought her home, finally. 79 CX500C w/17k (not my puddle on the ground!)

Frost
Dec 6, 2003
Don't let the Frost bite you
Man, that is one gorgeous bike, and looks to be in good shape too. Congratulations and have fun!

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
What'd you end up paying for that?

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
$800 + new brake pads/shoes + a new brake reservoir that comes tomorrow (old one leaks because of it being put down/doesn't sit right after I changed the more cruisery handlebars it had out + oil change. Other than that.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
Sounds about right. My buddy just picked up an '80 for 450, but it's not nearly as clean, and needed new fluids, tires, and a monstrous carb cleaning before it was good to go. Yours looks fantastic though, nice find.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123

Probably Hates You posted:

NEW BIKE! 2006 GSXR-1000 with 2472 miles on the ODO.

After spending 3 months of searching for a bike where most adds are auctioned off repo bikes with no history and lots of miles I stumbled across this beauty.

The bike was owned by a friend of the local Suzuki dealer down here and was completely immaculate. Only thing done to the bike has been the fender eliminator, otherwise it's bone stock and unmolested. Judging by the rear tire which is original as well as the front(getting them swapped out for new ones) the PO did mostly freeway and city riding.

It was late in the day and they were closing when I finally got down to signing everything off so I'll be picking it up tomorrow bright and early. Real pics and thoughts monday.

Awesome job! Love the red/black ones

One thing that is amazing about the 05-06 is that there is power all over the rev band, theres no real "hit" just an endless surge of power from 3000 RPM, stock exhaust system sounds great I don't think i'd ever change it. Works great as a street bike, probably the best years for the 1000, newer models got heavier and more topend power biased.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
double post

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3
Update to my RD I just got:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28cCrrLg7EM

Lots of elbow grease and a new battery.
Tires, brakes and then seals this winter.

edit: That's totally my riding gear. FREEDOM FOR LIFE>

Discomancer
Aug 31, 2001

I'm on a cupcake caper!
Got my first motorcycle, a 2005 GS500. I seemed to get through the MSF without a ridiculous amount of stalling (okay, a slightly ridiculous amount), but the first day on this in the parking lot was Stallfest '11. Still, it was SO AWESOME.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Discomancer posted:

Got my first motorcycle, a 2005 GS500. I seemed to get through the MSF without a ridiculous amount of stalling (okay, a slightly ridiculous amount), but the first day on this in the parking lot was Stallfest '11. Still, it was SO AWESOME.

That is a very nice bike. Looks like the fairing's cracked in a drop or something though. Go ride!

Oh god, the stalling. I fondly remember that day I stalled & overrevved the engine like gently caress.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

TheFonz posted:

Update to my RD I just got:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28cCrrLg7EM

Lots of elbow grease and a new battery.
Tires, brakes and then seals this winter.

edit: That's totally my riding gear. FREEDOM FOR LIFE>

Really nice.

Edited out my earlier question because I looked at the pictures you posted.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Here is my bike - 1978 GS750

Bought it last Fall like this:

hosed around with it to convert to this:

Still needs some tuning, but she runs nicely for her age.

Discomancer
Aug 31, 2001

I'm on a cupcake caper!

Odette posted:

That is a very nice bike. Looks like the fairing's cracked in a drop or something though. Go ride!

Oh god, the stalling. I fondly remember that day I stalled & overrevved the engine like gently caress.

The fairing and handlebar is a little dinged up on that side, but not cracked. It was the previous owner's first bike as well and he dropped it a few times. I'm kind of glad it already has a little damage, because now I won't feel too bad when I drop and damage it :ssh:

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Discomancer posted:

The fairing and handlebar is a little dinged up on that side, but not cracked. It was the previous owner's first bike as well and he dropped it a few times. I'm kind of glad it already has a little damage, because now I won't feel too bad when I drop and damage it :ssh:

Ha, poor bastard. I was kinda devastated when I crashed my bike for the first time. :(

BaKESAL3
Nov 7, 2010

infraboy posted:

Awesome job! Love the red/black ones

One thing that is amazing about the 05-06 is that there is power all over the rev band, theres no real "hit" just an endless surge of power from 3000 RPM, stock exhaust system sounds great I don't think i'd ever change it. Works great as a street bike, probably the best years for the 1000, newer models got heavier and more topend power biased.

Finally got around to putting some serious miles on the beast. Called in sick, took it out, and drove for about 300 miles.

My god is this thing fast. Seems like gears 1-3 have all the engines power available as soon as your wrist asks for it and then it turns into the commuter bike from heaven on the freeway in 6th. You're right about the power and the stock exhaust. You feel the kick after about 3500 and then again at 10,000 but its nowhere near tough and is there exactly when you want it. I think that's the biggest thing I've noticed is that as soon as you tell it what to do it wastes no time doing just that.

I think the brake fluid needs to be changed. It seems a bit discolored, at least to me. Bike only has 2xxx miles on it(bordering 3k methinks) but as far as I know it's the original factory fluid from '06. Other than that it's perfect. What kind of gas mileage are you getting on yours? I got about 160 miles before I had to refill. Is this normal? What gear are you when you ride around town? First seems to be perfect for speeds up to about 40 and then I keep wanting to shift up.

It's kind of nice not to have a bike that's louder than hell. I can actually talk to riding buddies, listen to traffic around me, and enjoy music now. No more waking up the neighbors if I did before and my ears are thanking me for having no want for something louder and probably never will.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

What kind of gas mileage are you getting on yours? I got about 160 miles before I had to refill. Is this normal?

Yeah, that's about right. Are you refilling when the light starts flashing? It's a bit pessimistic.

BaKESAL3
Nov 7, 2010
Yeah, when I can. It goes from flashing(1 gal.) to solid(0.4g) pretty quick. A lot quicker than my normal rate of consumption for fuel. So either the light starts flashing too late, or for some reason I'm accelerating too hard.

I'm used to a bike that actually has a fuel gauge and THEN warns you it's low. Spoiled I know but I'm constantly looking back down at the cluster to see if it's flashing. I never want to run out of gas again. Especially in the #5 lane in rush hour traffic.
People weren't kidding either when they said liter bikes eat tires like candy. I can dismount after a long enough ride and see the difference.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Yeah, when I can. It goes from flashing(1 gal.) to solid(0.4g) pretty quick. A lot quicker than my normal rate of consumption for fuel. So either the light starts flashing too late, or for some reason I'm accelerating too hard.

It's because it's not really that accurate at all. Mine comes on waaaaaaaaaay to early, usually just under a litre early. Although I did manage to run out on the highway once thinking I could strecth it out. Rolled to a stop just at the top of the petrol station off-ramp.

LarryCsonka
Nov 7, 2006
Oooh, I don't go map-finding-behinding
My first bike, just got it today. Its a 1989 Honda Hawk GT, NT650. Absolutely amazing condition, with 15,000 miles. Now to go spend a ton of money on gear...

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
You're not kidding, that thing is immaculate. Nice buy!

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

LarryCsonka posted:

My first bike, just got it today. Its a 1989 Honda Hawk GT, NT650. Absolutely amazing condition, with 15,000 miles. Now to go spend a ton of money on gear...

Eighty nine? That thing is surprisingly clean. Was it garaged for the majority of it's life or something?

I've done more than 15,000 km on my bike this year. Wow.

LarryCsonka
Nov 7, 2006
Oooh, I don't go map-finding-behinding

Odette posted:

Eighty nine? That thing is surprisingly clean. Was it garaged for the majority of it's life or something?

I've done more than 15,000 km on my bike this year. Wow.

They guy I bought it from put a little over 5,000 miles on it in the 5 years he owned it, so it wasn't ridden much in the 17 other years.

Klimpy Borf
Oct 22, 2010
Picked up a new bike over the weekend, and it is beautiful.

1998 VTR1000 Super Chicken. Completely street fightered out,

Now I can focus on getting my 01 F4i track ready, and hit up T-Hill.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

DrCornelius posted:

What are those handguards? I've been trying to find guards that will work with bar ends for ages with no success.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123

Finally got around to putting some serious miles on the beast. Called in sick, took it out, and drove for about 300 miles.

My god is this thing fast. Seems like gears 1-3 have all the engines power available as soon as your wrist asks for it and then it turns into the commuter bike from heaven on the freeway in 6th. You're right about the power and the stock exhaust. You feel the kick after about 3500 and then again at 10,000 but its nowhere near tough and is there exactly when you want it. I think that's the biggest thing I've noticed is that as soon as you tell it what to do it wastes no time doing just that.

I think the brake fluid needs to be changed. It seems a bit discolored, at least to me. Bike only has 2xxx miles on it(bordering 3k methinks) but as far as I know it's the original factory fluid from '06. Other than that it's perfect. What kind of gas mileage are you getting on yours? I got about 160 miles before I had to refill. Is this normal? What gear are you when you ride around town? First seems to be perfect for speeds up to about 40 and then I keep wanting to shift up.

It's kind of nice not to have a bike that's louder than hell. I can actually talk to riding buddies, listen to traffic around me, and enjoy music now. No more waking up the neighbors if I did before and my ears are thanking me for having no want for something louder and probably never will.

Umm i've gotten around 31.8-32.7 mpg, it seems to hover around there.... I do use some full throttle on lonely empty stretches, it's shocking how fast the acceleration is in 2nd or 3rd gear on full throttle, overall it's easy to ride I think, it's just that you have the power of god in your right hand should you decide to use/abuse it. Dunlop Q2s are fantastic on the bike if you decide on tires next time around :v

Previous owner said he'd gotten it to around 160 miles before filling up, but that was mainly cruising around at near the speed limit, I do use the bikes amazing power to make some easy quick passes, and the bike oddly has quite a bit of vibration at around 80mph... but if you go up to 90mph it goes away, kind of a bad habit to get into but 90 on a literbike feels like about 70 on a 600. I read up to 102mph on the speedo in first gear before shifting up.

I usually chicken out and refill the tank when the light comes on, usually a bit after 110 miles... that means theres still about a gallon left in the tank so it'd be good for at least 30 miles. The California models got a 4.6 gallon tank whereas other states got the 4.8 gallon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

I don't know, I find it hard to take hipster/non-hipster advice from someone with a Brony avatar!

DrCornelius posted:

That headlight setup.... I just ordered the same one for stupid cheap. How do you like it? I was thinking I might have to replace the actual lights for something brighter, but since you have it, some real-world experience would be nice.