Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pertplus
Nov 7, 2009

Living like poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diametunim
Oct 26, 2010

It's a shame I have to cram all that poo poo into a dorm room in two months.

HandsomeBen
Nov 23, 2006

There is no greater calling than to serve your fellow men. There is no greater contribution than to help the weak. There is no greater satisfaction than to have done it well
New desk and chair from Ikea, the cat isn't. I'm surprised they don't sell them though because they have everything else.

singe
Aug 24, 2008

I want to ride my bicycle.

Moved into my apartment this afternoon so everything is uncharacteristically clean.

Picked up a used Galant desk for $100 and it came with the extension, PC holder thing and cable management system. Matching desk lamps were only $4. In short, craigslist is pretty awesome for finding old office equipment.

Only thing I need now is a better chair.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

IKEA Vika Amon top, Vika Curry Legs
Crappy chair from Staples
Misc. Items
Socks and cables on the floor
Living like poo poo cabling

Pertplus
Nov 7, 2009

Sorry if this is off topic but I was going to buy an Ikea desk and it is not in stock at my local Ikea (according to the website) and "the expected delivery date is unavailable". Does anyone know if I can ask to have it shipped to Ikea to avoid the $120 shipping charge if I buy it online?

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

singe posted:

Moved into my apartment this afternoon so everything is uncharacteristically clean.

Picked up a used Galant desk for $100 and it came with the extension, PC holder thing and cable management system. Matching desk lamps were only $4. In short, craigslist is pretty awesome for finding old office equipment.

Only thing I need now is a better chair.

You will regret getting that black galant. The paint is poo poo, at least on mine. Use a mouse pad unless you want a wood colored desk.

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled

Pretty Cool Name posted:

You will regret getting that black galant. The paint is poo poo, at least on mine. Use a mouse pad unless you want a wood colored desk.

I've had mine for 3 years and no problems yet. Just some marks where the cat has chewed on the corners. How long have you had yours? :ohdear:

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

Pertplus posted:

Sorry if this is off topic but I was going to buy an Ikea desk and it is not in stock at my local Ikea (according to the website) and "the expected delivery date is unavailable". Does anyone know if I can ask to have it shipped to Ikea to avoid the $120 shipping charge if I buy it online?

AFAIK, IKEA is a real jerk about stuff like that. They have a keyboard tray that I really want, and it's only $10, but the closest IKEA that would have one is like 3 hours away, and I'll be damned if I'm paying $30 to have it shipped/$60 to go get it.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Ikean delivery in the UK is incredible. They'll deliver pretty much everything to my door for less than the 15 minute cab drive to and from Ikea.

singe
Aug 24, 2008

I want to ride my bicycle.

Pretty Cool Name posted:

Yea it wore off on the edges, but I touched it up with some black paint.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

My galant is probably more magic marker than it is factory paint at this point.

Still feels like the best $20 desk you can get. I wish I had a more natural wood coloured motif going on instead of black though.

HandsomeBen
Nov 23, 2006

There is no greater calling than to serve your fellow men. There is no greater contribution than to help the weak. There is no greater satisfaction than to have done it well

Martytoof posted:

My galant is probably more magic marker than it is factory paint at this point.

Still feels like the best $20 desk you can get. I wish I had a more natural wood coloured motif going on instead of black though.

I love mine and eventually want to get a corner and another 63" extension and have a gigantic desk with dual monitors on egonotron arms.

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

glompix posted:

I've had mine for 3 years and no problems yet. Just some marks where the cat has chewed on the corners. How long have you had yours? :ohdear:

About 2 years. I'm a student though so I spend most of my day at this desk instead of just a hour or two at night.

It has held up fine everywhere but where I use the mouse and some scratches where I have moved my monitor around. If I had a mouse pad it would have been fine I think.

If yours has held for 3 years you're obviously not as careless as me so it'll be fine. :P

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

My clean desktop, and my cluttered "desktop". Now with a proper picture.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Diametunim posted:

It's a shame I have to cram all that poo poo into a dorm room in two months.

Is that a 922 HAF I see?

I have one too

Reacean
Nov 29, 2004

IMG_0133 by Reacean, on Flickr

Updated and cleaned up my workspace a bit, now running a u2410 alongside the 2405 FPW, and I think I'm officially "done" with monitors. That is, until I have a larger living space.

The cabling mess in the lower right does bother me a bit but I haven't had the time to go in and straighten it up.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

BabyRyoga posted:

My clean desktop, and my cluttered "desktop". Now with a proper picture.

Is that a Schiit Lyr next to that enormous speaker?

If so, how do you like it? How does it compare to the Valhalla/Asgard?

What are you running those massive speakers from?-it can't be a headphone amp.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Is that a Schiit Lyr next to that enormous speaker?

If so, how do you like it? How does it compare to the Valhalla/Asgard?

What are you running those massive speakers from?-it can't be a headphone amp.

It is indeed a Lyr. I haven't tried the Valhalla or Asgard, so I can't compare it to other Schiit amps, but it works really nicely with my LCD-2s. One of the founders of Schiit posts from time to time in the headphone thread in the A/V sub-forum, and he even offered a goon discount. I am very happy with how clear it is, and how much power it pumps into the LCD-2s for the price. So many other amps out there just demolish cash.

It isn't powering the bookshelf speakers, but if there was a headphone amp that could, it would probably be the Lyr. I just have those running off an A/V receiver in a different section of the room until I get a dedicated amp and some other electronics for them.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

BabyRyoga posted:

Response

Ah. Nice. Is it connected to some sort of DAC or preamp, or is it straight off of the computer? What was the discount like (not that I'm trying to pry or be improper....if you don't want to post it you don't have to)?

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Ah. Nice. Is it connected to some sort of DAC or preamp, or is it straight off of the computer? What was the discount like (not that I'm trying to pry or be improper....if you don't want to post it you don't have to)?

Right now I just have it connected to an Asus Xonar D2X sound card. I almost got myself a Peachtree Nova to use as a combo DAC/Amp for the speakers, but I am holding off a little longer to see what kind of DAC options Schiit announces over the summer. The card is acceptable enough to hold me off until I figure out what else to get for my desktop setup.

I believe he gave me a code that knocked off $50 from the price, which is a little bit over 10%. Not too shabby for an already extremely nice value amp.

thideras
Oct 27, 2010

Fuck you, I'm a tree.
Fun Shoe
I had a Cooler Master CM830 Stacker painted for me a few years back. It was done with high quality car paint and I only paid materials. I'm also just starting into "somewhat good" audio. I had been using a pair of z5500's and upgraded to a set of Polk Audio Monitor40 Series II combined with a Polk Audio PSW505. The difference was phenomenal.

thideras fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Aug 6, 2011

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I'm making a similar switch soon, going from Z5500's to M-Audio AV-40 based off Factory Factory's reccomendations, cannot wait to hear the difference. Will be posting pics next week of the new desktop soon. Just got my Dell 24" ultrasharp in today, upgraded from 20" 2005FPW. :3:

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled

Vintersorg posted:

I'm making a similar switch soon, going from Z5500's to M-Audio AV-40 based off Factory Factory's reccomendations, cannot wait to hear the difference. Will be posting pics next week of the new desktop soon. Just got my Dell 24" ultrasharp in today, upgraded from 20" 2005FPW. :3:

They're awesome speakers. For black and death metal, I feel like my old Klipschs may have been better (maybe I can now just hear exactly how lovely the recording is) but for anything electronic they're really amazing and blow me away.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006
Unfortunately my home office is also my small, rather cramped apartment bedroom. I'm in the process of doing a finish on the desk top so it is a bit funky. Soon to hopefully be adding a pico projector for office TV viewing, as soon as the drat thing actually ships.

also, muthafucking cable management.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Juriko posted:

Unfortunately my home office is also my small, rather cramped apartment bedroom. I'm in the process of doing a finish on the desk top so it is a bit funky. Soon to hopefully be adding a pico projector for office TV viewing, as soon as the drat thing actually ships.

Since everything else in the photo looks as it should, I can only assume that you're using some kind of effect on Windows which sets everything on fire? Screenshots please.

Oh, maybe that's just a screensaver, and not how it looks all of the time?

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

Juriko posted:

How is the tower hovering?

HandsomeBen
Nov 23, 2006

Juriko posted:

I don't know if my lovely cordless drill will work but I need to attach mine still

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Centipeed posted:

Since everything else in the photo looks as it should, I can only assume that you're using some kind of effect on Windows which sets everything on fire? Screenshots please.

Oh, maybe that's just a screensaver, and not how it looks all of the time?

Interested in this as well, looks badass.

nyoron
Dec 15, 2009

KingEup posted:

How is the tower hovering?

It's a 'slot' that's bolted to the table. that holds the tower. ikea did those and afaik still do.

Cmdr Will Riker
Mar 27, 2003

thideras posted:

I had a Cooler Master CM830 Stacker painted for me a few years back. It was done with high quality car paint and I only paid materials. I'm also just starting into "somewhat good" audio. I had been using a pair of z5500's and upgraded to a set of Polk Audio Monitor40 Series II combined with a Polk Audio PSW505. The difference was phenomenal.

Goddamn I read that the Monitor40s were huge but that's ridiculous. They look like they're more than half the depth of your desk.

thideras
Oct 27, 2010

Fuck you, I'm a tree.
Fun Shoe

Cmdr Will Riker posted:

Goddamn I read that the Monitor40s were huge but that's ridiculous. They look like they're more than half the depth of your desk.
I was in for a bit of surprise when I received them, as well. They are 16" tall, 12" deep and 6" wide. My desk is 32" deep and those are 24" monitors next to them. The location of the speakers, in relation to where I sit, isn't very good. But, it is the best I could do.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Moey posted:

Interested in this as well, looks badass.

I wanted screenshots because I thought it looks silly, but that's mainly because I also thought it looked that way all the time. Then I remembered that there's a screensaver for Windows which sets everything on fire.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Centipeed posted:

I wanted screenshots because I thought it looks silly, but that's mainly because I also thought it looked that way all the time. Then I remembered that there's a screensaver for Windows which sets everything on fire.

I don't think anyone would get anything done if it looked like that all the time, I figured it was just a screensaver that lit your current desktop on fire.

Looks like this is it. Not as exciting as I hoped.

http://download.cnet.com/Free-Fire-Screensaver/3000-2257_4-10627791.html?part=dl-FreeFireS&subj=uo&tag=button

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Those speakers really dwarf everything, try moving them more to the side and center the monitors more?

thideras
Oct 27, 2010

Fuck you, I'm a tree.
Fun Shoe

Vintersorg posted:

Those speakers really dwarf everything, try moving them more to the side and center the monitors more?
There are two levels to the desk, so I can't move them left. The right speaker has about an inch hanging off the edge of the desk.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

Centipeed posted:

Hah yah, it is just a screensaver. I mostly have it because I can time how long I've been wasting time NOT working by the screensaver and powersave kicking in. When my desktop is on fire its a big "hey you lazy rear end you need to be working."

Also the red glow combined with the displays makes me feel like I'm in Hackers, and I love hackers.

wiru posted:

It's a 'slot' that's bolted to the table. that holds the tower. ikea did those and afaik still do.

Actually it is a pair of racketing straps (you can see the ratchets) and some slotted U shaped steel pieces from home depot. I didn't like the ikea desktop holders because they were a tad flimsy. Also, that is actually a desktop chassis on its side, and much smaller than a normal desktop. I actually move the desk around a lot so I wanted the case to have as much of a deathgrip on the desk as it could.

My favorite part is I use those Ikea magnetic spice holders to hold postits and batteries and stuff, and they are stuck on the case. You can tell who has been ingrained with magnets=computer death by their reaction to it.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...
Here's my work desktop (gently caress cable management, I don't see it anyway), just got an adjustable desk. Off to the left is my project that I'm working on, but can't show you:

And out the rest of the window... a hangar!

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Tedronai66 posted:

Here's my work desktop (gently caress cable management, I don't see it anyway), just got an adjustable desk. Off to the left is my project that I'm working on, but can't show you:

And out the rest of the window... a hangar!

Ok, that desk looks pretty awesome. Where did you get that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defghanistan
Feb 9, 2010

2base2furious

Seattle aint too bad