Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

Waitstaff (and delivery drivers apparently) are paid less than minimum because they are expected to make it up with tips. Sucks when it doesn't happen though.

When tips don't at least cover minimum wage, the restaurant is supposed to cover the difference, at least in Texas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006

EightBit posted:

When tips don't at least cover minimum wage, the restaurant is supposed to cover the difference, at least in Texas.

Same in VA too.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

EightBit posted:

This discussion happens every time minimum wage and tips are brought up. The thing is, in smaller businesses (or even large ones), "the squeaky wheel gets replaced" when it comes to demanding you get paid your legal minimum wage when tips don't cover it. I've personally seen it happen in a four-star restaurant (good friend of mine). End of story, nothing more to it. It doesn't happen everywhere, and in many places the employees and the employer are simply ignorant of the law itself (or honestly don't know any better) and fix it when an employee brings it up, but sometimes it's cheaper to just hire a quieter person.

And it's not state-by-state, it's a federal rule. Again, many (most?) places simply don't care.

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Feb 12, 2012

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

MiniFoo posted:

I knew what company you worked for even before you said it. I know, because I am a driver of theirs too (but like you, not for much longer). But uh, where the hell does your manager/employer get off not paying you minimum wage...? It's $7.25 in Texas, which also happens to be the federal minimum anyway. I thought you might be getting a lower hourly wage because of tip credit, but that doesn't make sense either. I think you've been getting robbed, unless there's something else I am unaware of (i.e., you are under 20 years old and haven't worked there more than 90 days).

[edit] Nevermind I am a goddamn moron who can't read tables correctly. I thought Minnesota's wage laws were stupid, but I guess they're still better than Texas and much of the rest of the country. Yeah, ditch that joint.

I worked at Dominoes briefly and got $2.13/hour while on delivery. PJ's pays the most out of the big 3 around here, and they were the last to go to tip credit wages. Though up until somewhat recently (3 or 4 years), all the PJ's stores out here have been corporate owned, while all the Dominoes out here are franchises.

At both places I got $7.25 while inside the store as I was expected to help with production - cooking, phones, etc. Federal law prohibits tip credit employees from doing production, they got around it by bumping you to minimum wage anytime you weren't on a delivery (or when the computer thought you weren't on a delivery anyway, I've had some sneaky managers assign me orders while I'm still in the store).

The hosed up part is 5 years ago I was making $7.50/hour at PJ's the entire time I was on the clock, whether on a delivery or in the store. 10 years ago? $8.00.

It's been my fall back job off and on when I need extra money, and it wasn't bad money until they cut wages and started charging for delivery. But I've been meaning to find something local anyway, I've been driving almost 30 miles each way for work since I moved for school.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Cross posting somewhat from the bitch about your ride thread, it turns out my e-brake cable wasn't frozen. Instead one of my right rear pads broke off the backing plate and get jammed :downs:

Just froze my fingers off swapping it out

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006
New latch assemblies for both front doors on my mom's minivan. Discovered in the process that her RKE fob is toast, but the power locks work perfectly again with my dad's fob.

My thumbs are now raw from all the loving rod clips and power connectors, even having worn gloves.

Bonus repair: I fixed all the poo poo the glass guy either broke or didn't put back together correctly when she had a window replaced. Amazing how the power switch assembly doesn't sit an inch off the door panel when you remove all the broken glass and reassemble it correctly!

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!
Changed the brake pads. I was going to paint the hubs but the bloke I hired the hoist from started getting bitchy.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Took the G8 to DC and back. First real road trip. 5 people, a trunk full of poo poo and some city driving around DC= 24mpg. The tank would have made it just shy of 500 miles. Not too terrible for a 6.0L V8.

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006

Geirskogul posted:

This discussion happens every time minimum wage and tips are brought up. The thing is, in smaller businesses (or even large ones), "the squeaky wheel gets replaced" when it comes to demanding you get paid your legal minimum wage when tips don't cover it. I've personally seen it happen in a four-star restaurant (good friend of mine). End of story, nothing more to it. It doesn't happen everywhere, and in many places the employees and the employer are simply ignorant of the law itself (or honestly don't know any better) and fix it when an employee brings it up, but sometimes it's cheaper to just hire a quieter person.

And it's not state-by-state, it's a federal rule. Again, many (most?) places simply don't care.

If you get fired for it, all you have to do is call up the labor board. They'll take care of it REAL quick.

Edit: And if you do quit/get fired later on for any reason, if you've kept your pay stubs, you can demand your back wages to meet minimum wage. The company has 30 days to pay you or the labor board WILL get involved. When the labor board gets involved, so does the IRS.

PCJ-600
Apr 17, 2001
dipped the wheels and grille on my bro's 330xi

(he is my actual brother so it's not racist if I call him that)

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
:psyduck:

When did bro become a racist term? Do we have to stop making fun of BroTrucks now?

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Splizwarf posted:

:psyduck:

When did bro become a racist term? Do we have to stop making fun of BroTrucks now?

It didn't, and we don't.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I ordered a timing chain kit, water pump, oil pump, and full gasket set for the vq30de today. Dear God what have I gotten myself into?

At least I have all data and air tools right? :v:

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Washed the Shelby tonight after work. Only the second time in like 18 months of ownership, and mostly just because the wheels were dusty as poo poo...

Cancelbot
Nov 22, 2006

Canceling spam since 1928

Added sound deadening to my Yaris. Not because of :rice: but because Toyota thinks every road in Britain is a smooth glass surface and its people have hearing difficulties.

The most satisfying part was putting in the missing rubber plug that was in the driver's footwell, the plug that stood between the cabin and 70mph of ruined tarmac.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
:rice: would be removing sound deadening. :v:

Roman Rambo
Dec 21, 2009
What I did today:

Rip out my existing radio.

This was made slightly more complicated by one of the brass screws that was holding the mounting bracket to the radio stripping all the way and having to drill it out.

Install factory headunit from 07 wrx (6 disc changer and plays mp3 CDs).

Not pictured: the aux input which replaces the ashtray shelf.

I'm ready for the factory Sirius hookup now but the part is approximately $300(!)

Roman Rambo fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Feb 18, 2012

Cancelbot
Nov 22, 2006

Canceling spam since 1928

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

:rice: would be removing sound deadening. :v:

I thought it was both - removal for speed, addition for trying to make the car into a giant acoustically dead speaker box.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Changed the oil, oil filter, fuel filter, and engine air filter in my 318, and changed the oil filter, oil, cap/rotor on my 325is. I can't figure out where the impulse cable on the #6 plug gets plugged into, but tomorrow I will be replacing the wires and spark plugs.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Billy Tully posted:

I got the engine for the poo poo spreader back from the machine shop :dance:

Here is what just shy of 4 grand will get you:

Can't take the plastic off yet because the shop is getting insulation this weekend and I don't want any of it in the engine.

I also got plates for the GTI yesterday, finally driving it again after 2 years of sitting around.

Washed the 97 Ram and its going away for the winter. Been lucky with the lack of snow so far.

Holy poo poo, is that an IH motor? I do t know anyone that actually rebuilds them, since good running examples are easy to find and comparatively cheap that is. Congrats! Also, watch out on the assembly, there are some gotchas like intake manifold bolts that extend into the head's airflow galleys, if you don't put RTV on em' instant vacuum leak on first startup.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
I fixed the Scout's exhaust today.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

trouser chili posted:

Holy poo poo, is that an IH motor? I do t know anyone that actually rebuilds them, since good running examples are easy to find and comparatively cheap that is. Congrats! Also, watch out on the assembly, there are some gotchas like intake manifold bolts that extend into the head's airflow galleys, if you don't put RTV on em' instant vacuum leak on first startup.

Its the one from my 56. They were awesome enough to find and rebuild it with NOS parts too. I'm doing some things right now but thread coming soonish for it. Thanks for the heads up on manifold bolts. I still have to get a manual for it and I heard binderbooks is a good place.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

trouser chili posted:

Aldi shopper :hfive:

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Billy Tully posted:

Its the one from my 56. They were awesome enough to find and rebuild it with NOS parts too. I'm doing some things right now but thread coming soonish for it. Thanks for the heads up on manifold bolts. I still have to get a manual for it and I heard binderbooks is a good place.

56, wow. Nevermind my original post. I was looking at it through my phone. I was thinking it was an IH v8 from the later era. I don't know anything about the 50's IH stuff, I'm guessing this is a flathead six?

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006

trouser chili posted:

I bet that sounds fruity as hell.

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Anything can be used as a hammer if you try hard enough.
First I put it up on ramps and two sets of stands (mostly because I'm paranoid):

Then I removed the left hand muffler, because the yutz who installed it used self tapping screws instead of bolts for the heatshield, most of which had backed themselves out, leaving the heatshield loose, rattling and annoying me.

After that came the ill-fitted left heatshield, the center chassis crossmember, the center heatshield, and finally the propshaft, complete with center bearing assembly and couplings. Managed to undo all the bolts by hand except for the three holding the rear coupling to the diff flange - Needed the impact wrench for those.

End result:

The propshaft is now crammed in the back of my partners Hyundai, off to be rebuilt and balanced tomorrow.

Quite happy that I managed not to break a single nail doing any of this...

Timage
Feb 6, 2006
Bought a second set of rims (from an Evo 9) for my Evo 8. At the moment I have two Toyo R888 semi-slicks and two crappy Neuton street tyres on the Evo 8 rims, and the Evo 9 rims came with some Falken FK452 tyres. The plan is put the Falkens on the Evo 8 rims and get two more R888s for the 9 rims and have them for the track.

Pictured with the Evo 9 rims fitted:

However when I was fitting the Front-Right rim, I noticed something a little off:

Hmmm, that ain't right. Anything else not as it should be while I'm here?

Well poo poo. Now, you're probably thinking I'm an absolute twat who doesn't notice a loud loving rattle when I'm driving. Well, there's always a rattle when I go over any bumps because the exhaust just taps that sway-bar in the last photo. What I didn't know it actually rattled the drat nut off. The rattle wasn't any louder than normal and the car didn't feel any different (although I have only been driving it to and from work and I haven't been driving it hard).

Getting it serviced anyway tomorrow as I'm going to the track in a couple of weeks, so good timing and a lot of luck on my part that the bar didn't come off completely on the highway and hit anything/anyone.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

timb posted:

I bet that sounds fruity as hell.

:golfclap:

That said, doesn't that leak at all? Or does that not matter/is clamped way too tight for that to happen?

First Time Caller
Nov 1, 2004

Fixed my seat belt reels. I installed a hard dog rollbar on the miata this weekend but bolted the seat belt guide in the wrong hole. Took 10 minutes and now my seat belts retract. Yayyy.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Rorac posted:

:golfclap:

That said, doesn't that leak at all? Or does that not matter/is clamped way too tight for that to happen?

Of course it leaks, just like everything else on the truck.

If it were before the muffler, this might be a problem, but that's the outlet of the muffler to the exhaust pipe that sticks out the back. I tried to have it welded proper but Meneke told me it was shot and I had to replace the entire exhaust system. So I said fuckit I'll soupcan the drat thing. The other side was open header since it rattled the manifold bolts loose at the collector and slipped the exhaust donut. Two new bolts, washers, lock washers and nuts plus an exhaust donut for a Honda Accord (impossible to find the specific correct donut anymore) and it's a lot quieter.

Someday maybe I'll do headers and a full exhaust, but it doesn't make sense at this point.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Washed the hell out of the Cobalt today and saw that my wheels have some chips in them, which disappoints me. I also feel the need to Plasti-Dip the car now.

Edit: is this breaking tables for you guys? I resized it in Imgur but it won't change on my monitor even after clearing my cache.

Imperador do Brasil fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Feb 19, 2012

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Where'd you get the shorty antenna? Looking to replace the 10ft tall antenna on my SS/SC.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Where'd you get the shorty antenna? Looking to replace the 10ft tall antenna on my SS/SC.

Modern Performance. $20 if I recall correctly. You will lose radio clarity, but I use my iPod all the time so I never notice.

Imperador do Brasil fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Feb 19, 2012

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
gently caress this job. :suicide:

Mikaelomo
Jul 27, 2007
Today I did the turtle wax headlight restoration kit.

Click the picture for the album

Mikaelomo fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Feb 20, 2012

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.

Imperador do Brasil posted:

What a PITA those must be to clean.

Speaking of which, replacing the rear brake pad sensor on the R56 Mini Cooper is ridiculous compared to how hard it should be.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Experienced my first Miata oil change. I tried to be lazy and use ramps, and regretted it about 5 minutes later when I had a hot oil filter in my hand that I couldn't angle back up past the manifold. Then I dropped it and spilt oil everywhere weatherproofed the subframe. :v:

Feels good replacing whatever poo poo was in there before with fully synth, it doesn't sound like it's got rod knock on cold mornings now.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Here's a trick: put a newspaper bag inside another one, and as soon as the filter is loose enough to spin by hand slide the bags onto it, and push them all the way on so the filter's touching the bottom. Start spinning, and when the filter lets go you just let it fall and hang on to the top of the bags. Then get it out however you can make it fit, which will be a lot loving easier now that you have both hands to work with and you're not trying to balance a teacup.

The second bag's for puncture resistance, triple it or whatever if your poo poo's all jagged, and obviously if your exhaust's hot enough to cause a hospital trip it'll probably melt the bags. If you're really worried about punctures, put a big handful of paper towels or an old shirt inside the bag to minimize loose oil.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
That's....really clever. All I did was try to cram some blue roll down in there, with the net result that I got even more oil on my hands extracting the now sodden bit of paper.

*E* vvv I did think about it, and if I can use the flat part of the drive next time that's definitely the way to go, I have long-rear end arms.

jammyozzy fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Feb 20, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Have you tried from below?