Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
I didn't pay any extra toll for my Crossover in Denmark, I did have to pay 25% VAT and a flat handling charge by the Danish postal service. Toll here is based on the type of product, had it been an mp3 player I would not have gotten away with just VAT for example.

They did withhold it until I sent them an "invoice" (screenshot of the ebay confirmation email), claiming there was no invoice - which there was, it was just declared unrealistically low at $100. I think there is a 'free ride' classification up to just over $200 too :(.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
This such a terrible company. Now they are saying they can't cancel my order because it is in the delay system. They really want that restocking fee. I can't believe this is so difficult. I feel like I ordered from some Chinese company through eBay.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:

Femur posted:

This such a terrible company. Now they are saying they can't cancel my order because it is in the delay system. They really want that restocking fee. I can't believe this is so difficult. I feel like I ordered from some Chinese company through eBay.

If its such a good deal can you not ebay it when it arrives?

Femur
Jan 10, 2004

thegasman2000 posted:

If its such a good deal can you not ebay it when it arrives?

I really don't think that is the point. It was an ok deal, not mind blowing or anything. I was on some stuff when I ordered it, and sobering up, regretted my decision is all. I am just frustrated I am getting the runaround by Dell. This isn't some questionable ebay seller. I've honestly never had this much trouble an online purchase. I wouldn't be this incredulous if it was random ebay seller.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
Just got a 27" Yamakasi Catleap from here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/120911008070?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Ordered late Sunday night, arrived at my office (east coast) today! Awesome.

It really does look incredible, no dead pixels and glossy. Plugged it into my Hackintosh and it worked perfectly. Hopefully will work similarly on my gaming PC at home. Only complaint so far is a bit of a wobbly base, but it'll be on a mount soon enough anyway.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004

Pzykotic posted:

Just got a 27" Yamakasi Catleap from here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/120911008070?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

It really does look incredible, no dead pixels and glossy. Plugged it into my Hackintosh and it worked perfectly. Hopefully will work similarly on my gaming PC at home. Only complaint so far is a bit of a wobbly base, but it'll be on a mount soon enough anyway.
What made you go with the Catleap over the other brands?

*and sorry for the whiny posting everyone, I am over it now, Just have to return it in 3 weeks or whenever the thing comes in stock again; or whatever is going on. I've wasted enough cell minutes on the phone with them.

Femur fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jun 1, 2012

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
Honestly it was a bit more of an impulse buy, I had only been researching new monitors off and on for a little while. I found the Overclock.net thread and started browsing eBay auctions when they were about $350. I had a few bucks in my Paypal account and saw that seller had them for $309 so I jumped on it.

I've been wanting a new monitor for a while, been using cheap and lovely 1080p Newegg specials for years. I recently got a Dell Ultrasharp at work at that's what pushed me over the edge.

27" 1440p for $300 is an incredible price point... now I just want more!

Femur
Jan 10, 2004

Pzykotic posted:

Honestly it was a bit more of an impulse buy, I had only been researching new monitors off and on for a little while. I found the Overclock.net thread and started browsing eBay auctions when they were about $350. I had a few bucks in my Paypal account and saw that seller had them for $309 so I jumped on it.

I've been wanting a new monitor for a while, been using cheap and lovely 1080p Newegg specials for years. I recently got a Dell Ultrasharp at work at that's what pushed me over the edge.

27" 1440p for $300 is an incredible price point... now I just want more!

Yeah, one of the reason I wanted to return this dell one is to get one of these. I was looking at the Pbank one mentioned earlier through, it's 299 so 10 bux cheaper than that catleap, and has perfect pixel or whatever. It was 299 last night, current prices seem to be 315 now..

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
Along the same lines... what exactly is "Catleap"? A brand? The name of the technology? If it's a brand, what's Yamakasi? Does it mean "Cat leap" in Korean?

I am now fascinated by my Korean monitor.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Pzykotic posted:

Along the same lines... what exactly is "Catleap"? A brand? The name of the technology? If it's a brand, what's Yamakasi? Does it mean "Cat leap" in Korean?

I am now fascinated by my Korean monitor.

I think it's a brand that gets seconds of panels originally intended for 27" iMacs and puts them in enclosures and sells 'em

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Yamakasi is the brand, Catleap Q270 is the model.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Pzykotic posted:

My PCBank arrived today. It was only delivered to DHL in Seoul on Wednesday. :wtc:

No dead pixels from my initial test. This is the hottest thing I've seen since Britney Spears before she went crazy.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Pzykotic posted:

It's made by Koreans. Who are addicted to super-fast internet. Which is filled with cat memes and videos of stupid cats, often jumping. Which they love. Hence naming a product after the leaping cats of YouTube.

At least that's my assumption.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS

cstine posted:

Anything under $500 just gets rubber stamped and through with no customs charges in the US. But they go off the declared values and so in practice that means basically everything gets a free ride.

Not true, for many things the magic number is $250.01 :science:. Most of those are fabrics and articles made from them.

Edit: for the US that is.

Backno fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jun 2, 2012

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance
http://www.anandtech.com/show/5885/the-achieva-shimian-qh270-a-350-27inch-wqhd-sips-display

Anandtech provides some formal numbers for those Korean wonderdisplays. Not too bad considering you're paying like 3-4 times less than a major name 27".

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

What's the best approach to buying a secondary monitor? Ideally, it would match your primary, but that's not practical for many from a price standpoint. I use my current secondary for 1) video/PDF/internet/spreadsheet when doing work on my primary, and 2) helpful information when gaming on my primary. With that in mind, it seems like I should get the biggest monitor I can afford, even if it's a "cheap" option like a 27" TN at 1920x1080.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Josh Lyman posted:

What's the best approach to buying a secondary monitor? Ideally, it would match your primary, but that's not practical for many from a price standpoint. I use my current secondary for 1) video/PDF/internet/spreadsheet when doing work on my primary, and 2) helpful information when gaming on my primary. With that in mind, it seems like I should get the biggest monitor I can afford, even if it's a "cheap" option like a 27" TN at 1920x1080.

What's your current monitor's size and resolution?

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
If you can't get an exact match, you should try to get something similar in pixel density, color characteristics (e.g. both using same backlight type), and quality. I also think it's a lot more comfortable to use if the resolutions on the shared edge are within about 50 pixels of each other, although I know plenty of people like to do one landscape, one portrait with matching 16:9 monitors.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

fookolt posted:

What's your current monitor's size and resolution?

Zhentar posted:

If you can't get an exact match, you should try to get something similar in pixel density, color characteristics (e.g. both using same backlight type), and quality. I also think it's a lot more comfortable to use if the resolutions on the shared edge are within about 50 pixels of each other, although I know plenty of people like to do one landscape, one portrait with matching 16:9 monitors.
A few weeks ago, I got a 23" Viewsonic VX2336s IPS 1920x1080 for $180 and planned to use an old 21.6" 1680x1050 TN as my secondary. That setup was fine. Then I discovered Korean monitors, got one, and it's been a glorious few days. I temporarily used the Viewsonic as my secondary, and while the resolution and size completely mismatched my Korean, the setup was fine. But when I boxed up the Viewsonic to be returned and plugged in the old 21.6", I felt cramped. I don't know if it was the size, resolution, both, TN, or being an old, yellowing panel with a scuff near the middle, but it was awful.

When I returned the Viewsonic today, they had a refurbed 27" Acer 1920x1080 TN, also for $180. I hadn't really budgeted for 2 monitors, and at $300, the Korean was more than I expected to spend, but it was a great long term value. Still, the 21.6" is just miserable, so the real question is whether to go with the Acer or another <$200 monitor. At that price, a 23" IPS is the best I can hope for; I didn't keep the Viewsonic because it had some purple fringing issues, and it looks like the LG 23" IPS is my only other option (other than a refurbed Dell 2312).

edit: v For perfect matching, you could get a 1440x900 monitor for $100 and use it in portrait mode. :v:

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jun 5, 2012

heffray
Sep 18, 2010

I just picked up a Korean monitor (Shimian, 0 dead pixels that I've found so far, amazing $290 purchase), and mounted both it and my previous 23" Asus IPS on Monoprice arms, with the 1080p as portrait. It's a little odd, but doesn't require nearly as much head turning as dual 16:9 landscape screens would, and let me reuse my existing screen. If I was starting from scratch, one of the off-lease HP 1600x1200 screens would be a better portrait secondary, but availability on those seems hit or miss.

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
Which mono price arms? I'm looking at getting some for my 2xcrossovers. Anyone mount a crossover?

heffray
Sep 18, 2010

I'm using the Monoprice 6421 arms. They pivot and tilt very easily, and sag a bit at full extension with the 27" display, but seem pretty secure once set to account for the sag. The bolts that came with the arm were a bit too long for my Shimian- apparently a ~8mm (M4) bolt is about right here, and the mount came with 10mm and 14mm bolts.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Is calling monitors "1440p" and "1200p" etc. a thing now? I always thought 720p and and 1080p were marketing terms to sell HDTVs. Doesn't the p mean progressive? If that's the case, surely all computer monitors are "p"?

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
The p is for pixel! :downs:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

chippy posted:

Is calling monitors "1440p" and "1200p" etc. a thing now? I always thought 720p and and 1080p were marketing terms to sell HDTVs. Doesn't the p mean progressive? If that's the case, surely all computer monitors are "p"?
For me, it's just an easier way to indicate a resolution. I always take the p to mean 16:9.

edit: v I've always assumed that 720p means 1280x720, 900p means 1600x900, 1080p means 1920x1080, and 1440p means 2560x1440. Any other resolution needs to be described specifically.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Jun 6, 2012

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
Always means progressive, but yeah, it's pretty redundant now.

It's a pretty stupid way of describing any resolution, because it doesn't tell you the other dimensions, but it's acceptable somewhat in terms of describing video and TV standards. But I wouldn't think of using it to describe other resolutions.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
/
My mate bought a 27" Korean special and wants to plug in his xbox 360... is that gonna happen? (he knows it only has dvi.... the adapter is the question)

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

HDMI to DVI cables can be had for a pittance.. but that won't fix the problem. The 360 will output 1920x1080, tops, and the Korean specials lack scalers from what I've heard, so at best you'll get a little picture in the middle of the screen.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jun 6, 2012

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

thegasman2000 posted:

My mate bought a 27" Korean special and wants to plug in his xbox 360... is that gonna happen? (he knows it only has dvi.... the adapter is the question)
All the adapters that I can find only output single-link DVI, and it's unlikely that the 360 can output anything above 1920x1080 anyway. If it works at all, the picture will either be stretched to fill or only display on a portion of the screen.

e: drat you HalloKitty

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance
I'm looking to get two of the Korean 27 inchers for work. Which ones do people recommend for price/lack of hassle/least likely to get dead pixels?

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
/

HalloKitty posted:

HDMI to DVI cables can be had for a pittance.. but that won't fix the problem. The 360 will output 1920x1080, tops, and the Korean specials lack scalers from what I've heard, so at best you'll get a little picture in the middle of the screen.

I take it this is the same as a PS3?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

fookolt posted:

I'm looking to get two of the Korean 27 inchers for work. Which ones do people recommend for price/lack of hassle/least likely to get dead pixels?
Since they're all the same panel, you can search around the different vendors on eBay and see what they're offering, then pick the cheapest. Some of them offer pixel-perfect guarantees for a few extra bucks. A quick search pops up a pixel-perfect PCBank PB2700 for $330.

thegasman2000 posted:

I take it this is the same as a PS3?
Yes. If you wanted one with the ability to scale, you'd need to upgrade to one of the more expensive ones, like this one for $420.

yergacheffe
Jan 22, 2007
Whaler on the moon.

I can confirm that a PS3 using an HDMI to DVI cable will not work on my Korean Shimian monitor which only has DL-DVI input. The more expensive Korean monitors have the built in scaler which should be able to acommadate other resolutions.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC
Will the PS3 output 1080p to a Dell UltraSharp U2312HM via an HDMI->DVI converter? I know that this would not work at any resolution with my old UltraSharp 2405FPW (I think that's what it was, anyways).

Fish Cake
Jun 13, 2008

woof

Monopthalmus posted:

Will the PS3 output 1080p to a Dell UltraSharp U2312HM via an HDMI->DVI converter? I know that this would now work at any resolution with my old UltraSharp 2405FPW (I think that's what it was, anyways).

Yes, I have mine set up like this so I can switch between my PC on DP and the PS3 on DVI and it works.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

HalloKitty posted:

I'm pretty sure you can set the 360 to output in 16:10 and it will just add bars itself where necessary.

edit: Just googling, you may have to use the VGA cable for this though.

chippy fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Jun 7, 2012

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

chippy posted:

I'm pretty sure you can set the 360 to output in 16:10 and it will just add bars itself where necessary.

edit: Just googling, you may have to use the VGA cable for this though.

It does, but I'm pretty sure it tops out at 1920x1200, I use the VGA cable myself.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Ah, of course. I forgot the Korean monitor's were larger res than that.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
/
perhaps some through the PC wizardry is the only way.... nevermind lol

edit: fat fingers...

thegasman2000 fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Jun 7, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

10-8
Oct 2, 2003

Level 14 Bureaucrat
What will happen if I plug a laptop that can only do VGA out at 1600x1200 into a new Dell UltraSharp with a native res of 1920x1080? Will I get pillar boxing on the sides or some kind of awful aspect ratio scaling? It's a work laptop so I'm stuck with what I have but I'd like to connect it to an external monitor when I work from home.