Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Killfast37 posted:

Antarctica is more often than not terrible. Rejected one last week because I couldn't handle another 50 minutes of that boat. I honestly wouldn't mind typing out 1000x [INAUDIBLE]'s and differentiating between MALE 1 and MALE 15 if the pay was halfway decent. Most of the other DIA I've seen was at least 1.00 or more and it's easier.

I'm thinking .80 might be DT's new standard price or something. Probably an attempt at stopping the churn, but since I picked them back up for work to fill the time, everything I've gotten, including regular interview, has been 80 cents, no more, no less. It's nice to be out of .75, sure, but it isn't worth it if this is the kind of poo poo they're gonna be giving out and without good prices to go with it.

Killfast37 posted:

From a production standpoint the show seems like an audio engineers nightmare if they're actually trying to get useable dialogue. I guess it's just protocol to get every clip transcribed no matter how much of it's b-roll and background noise eclipsing lav mics. I can't wait for those clips to stop coming in because they're making me really appreciate Guy Fieri.

God, it's such a nightmare, and almost utterly worthless footage. The best part is, since the cameraman clearly couldn't hear the dudes in the cabin, there was a point where they pointed out a whale in their path and it sounded like it'd be a great shot but the cameraman was somewhere standing with the rest of the crew loving around so it never looked. At least he managed to catch a glimpse of the seal they pointed out!

In another Antarctica video, they interviewed the captain of the boat and like 10 minutes of that is him rambling on about his life, his history with the coast guard, the history of the coast guard, and it's all just a mess of worthless trivia garbage that at best might get a 20 second mention from the narrator of this documentary or whatever they're making when it's finished. Like, let's be honest here, nobody cares about this captain guy enough to watch a doc about him, and that's clearly not why the cameras are there, either. They also got a big ol' glimpse of the lives of the crew which is probably a bunch of nothing that isn't going to be mentioned in anything beyond a sentence or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wlokos
Nov 12, 2007

Hi thread,

I started using textbroker a few days ago after briefly using it a few years ago and am pleasantly surprised - there is some learning involved, but starting with an active account at four stars meant I could dive right in and I've earned about $50 total in the last three days with 2-3 hours of work per day. My short term goal is to up it to an average of $30 per day from online stuff, keeping it to 3 hours per day.

Textbroker is not the best hourly - probably about $6 to $8 per hour of focused work. I want to diversify to reduce my risk and seek out the best value for my time and effort. My question is: Does anybody have advice on how the landscape of text content mills has shifted in the last few years? I looked at the OP, and it looks like Writer's Access and Constant Content are promising. CC looks great because sometimes the TB client asks for ridiculous revisions, and its easier to cancel the order - so I could re-post those articles up on CC. Writer's Access would work to diversify my income across multiple sites.

Any advice? Does it make sense to focus on this area over transcription, which seems to be the main source of income for a lot of you?

TLDR: Using textbroker with mild success, want to expand to other sites and maximize my average hourly income w/ article writing.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

wlokos posted:

Hi thread,

I started using textbroker a few days ago after briefly using it a few years ago and am pleasantly surprised - there is some learning involved, but starting with an active account at four stars meant I could dive right in and I've earned about $50 total in the last three days with 2-3 hours of work per day. My short term goal is to up it to an average of $30 per day from online stuff, keeping it to 3 hours per day.

Textbroker is not the best hourly - probably about $6 to $8 per hour of focused work. I want to diversify to reduce my risk and seek out the best value for my time and effort. My question is: Does anybody have advice on how the landscape of text content mills has shifted in the last few years? I looked at the OP, and it looks like Writer's Access and Constant Content are promising. CC looks great because sometimes the TB client asks for ridiculous revisions, and its easier to cancel the order - so I could re-post those articles up on CC. Writer's Access would work to diversify my income across multiple sites.

Any advice? Does it make sense to focus on this area over transcription, which seems to be the main source of income for a lot of you?

TLDR: Using textbroker with mild success, want to expand to other sites and maximize my average hourly income w/ article writing.

Have you tried to get on any Textbroker teams? I think they pay better, although I've never actually tried to get on one.

Also don't forget the 15% self employment tax when calculating your hourly wages.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Textbroker teams and/or getting up to 5 star will be your best bump of hourly rate through that particular site. Writer Access in general pays better but there's less consistent work available. Constant Content will be a good bump occasionally but unless you're putting a lot of content up, don't expect consistent sales.

Content mills have been slowly dying off because the rising standards from Google make a lot of the low quality churned out content no longer valuable. Sites like Textbroker don't have the connections or the capability to boost themselves into a high end mill for higher paying, higher standards clients, primarily because 99% of their writer base is trash garbage. WA is the closest there is to that right now, since at the real high end businesses just find people to work with directly.

You can try Upwork, the elance/odesk frankenstein, but I don't know how the writing climate is on there. I also have a couple friends who are reasonably successful at finding jobs on Reddit of all places, but there aren't freelancer protections on Reddit so that's a risk you'll have to consider.

wlokos
Nov 12, 2007

I am keeping in mind that 15% self-employment tax, thank you for the reminder. That was a big lesson I've learned in past years, and a painful one haha.

I haven't figured out how to get into any decent Textbroker teams - it seems like all the public ones are either completely dead, or have crazy numbers (like hundreds of authors with five articles available). The pay scale looks much better on some teams though, I'll have to keep looking. Becoming a 5 star author seems to first require passing a grammar test, with a 3-month waiting period if you fail... so I'm gonna do some studying before I submit my answers. Hopefully I can nail that.

I also read via their forums that it's acceptable to send private messages to clients who you write for via the "open orders" pool (i.e. the main area to grab work), so I've just gone back and sent a thank you note to everybody who accepted my articles over the last few days. Hopefully I can start getting some direct orders.

Getting to TLDR territory now, so I'll just say thanks for all that info and ask one question - How exactly does one find work via reddit? Are there subreddits for freelance writing work where people post offers?

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
Not gonna lie, after how bad that Antarctica stuff last week, having some Ink Master with a bored producer and a stuttery, rambling guy is like coming home and feeling loved, it's great.

Cast Iron Brick
Apr 24, 2008
So a bit of a sob story.

My PC went kaput lat week when I had 90 minutes of the worst Antartica poo poo you could imagine. I let DT know and they said they'll take it back until my machine is back up.

I get a replacement part the next day and let them know. They gave me a new file and later asked if I could try and work on the old Antartica files too. I said I would, but ended up running out of allotted work time and had to kick it back to go to my other job.

This week I went in to schedule my work and found my account had been deactivated. I emailed DT and they replied back with a Future Endeavors letter.

The communication there just felt really weird. There were definitely extenuating circumstances and the Antartica stuff was a do-what-you-can type of deal.

Maybe I just misread their intention. I don't know. Either way, I'm looking for a new house to work with.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
Man that sucks.

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010
I would get back in touch. If you had decent communication on it there's no reason that should have happened. That said, get on the JKL bandwagon the next time he's hiring if you can. That company is a class act.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

wlokos posted:

How exactly does one find work via reddit? Are there subreddits for freelance writing work where people post offers?

I would assume something like this https://www.reddit.com/r/FreelanceWritingJobs/ but I don't know if that's specifically the one my friends use. It looks kind of slow on the activity.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
If you are ever in for an interview please refrain from touching your chest as a way to show of sincerity, my ears will thank you.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Regarding the recent writing discussion: I used to do really well with Constant Content but it seems to have slowed considerably these days (or maybe I just suck at thinking up articles to write now :shrug: Either way, nothing's selling. ) I'd say Writers Access is probably your best bet at this point.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

wlokos posted:

I haven't figured out how to get into any decent Textbroker teams - it seems like all the public ones are either completely dead, or have crazy numbers (like hundreds of authors with five articles available). The pay scale looks much better on some teams though, I'll have to keep looking. Becoming a 5 star author seems to first require passing a grammar test, with a 3-month waiting period if you fail... so I'm gonna do some studying before I submit my answers. Hopefully I can nail that.

It's pretty dead at the moment, but definitely keep an eye out, especially for the "managed" teams. A few weeks back there were some alright teams taking just about any 4-star writer. The coupon team had somewhere between 500 and 1000 orders for little website descriptions. Pay was around 1.5 cents a word. Not great, but alright, especially if you're good at repetitive work. I didn't do too many, but there was plenty of work for a few days. Don't worry too much about the large author numbers, they don't really ever clean out inactive members of teams.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

"We need you to redact all names and identifiable places."

"We need you go back and to only redact during these sections, and not in these sections."

"We need you go back and remove all redactions from your transcripts."

"We need you go back and identify the speakers in a different way."

(Thank God for per-hour clients.)

wlokos
Nov 12, 2007

Pikestaff posted:

Regarding the recent writing discussion: I used to do really well with Constant Content but it seems to have slowed considerably these days (or maybe I just suck at thinking up articles to write now :shrug: Either way, nothing's selling. ) I'd say Writers Access is probably your best bet at this point.

Writers Access did not accept my application :eng99: - I was pretty surprised. I'm not sure if this rapid-fire textbroker writing is having a detrimental impact on my skills - unfortunately, the nature of the work is that I have to be brutally efficient to make it worthwhile. When I'm earning $7 for an article, I can't spend an extra half-hour fine-tuning everything, I just have to get it functional and submit.

Still haven't heard back from Constant Content.

My basic plan is to apply for every opportunity in sight and experiment as much as possible to find the best opportunities. Step one is to get into some other non-Textbroker sites (or find good job boards, subreddits, etc) while simultaneously finding the best opportunities within TB to up my hourly there (teams, earning a five-star ranking, direct orders). I'll report back as I learn what the best sources of freelance writing income are, hopefully other people here will find that useful in some way.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I've always thought it was stupid calling people betas, but holy poo poo this whiny beta bitch. Producers have a surprising amount of patience sometimes.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
I thought I'd seen the worst that reality TV had to offer, until I seen one that has poo poo audio, accents galore, and overpowering garbage music.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Probably one of the best audio discrepancies I've seen so far:

- We'll devour your bedroom!
And burst the cane wine!

Was actually:
- We need to borrow
your bedroom!
And where's the K-Y?

wigglin
Dec 19, 2007

Finally got accepted to DT and got my first job. I've got a couple stupid questions I was hoping to get answered for confidence.

1. Do I just reply directly to Sally's email saying I've got it covered?
2. Turnaround time is "strictly 24 hours" as per the handbook, but the assignment email states a time later than 24 hours. I would be fine to turn it in by the stated time right? Or do they expect it 24 hours from when I accept?
3. Do I need to pay $5 per month for a Box account?

Thanks for any help. I just really would rather not piss anybody off with my first assignment.

wigglin fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Apr 20, 2016

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

Pete Zah posted:

Finally got accepted to DT and got my first job. I've got a couple stupid questions I was hoping to get answered for confidence.

1. Do I just reply directly to Sally's email saying I've got it covered?
2. Turnaround time is "strictly 24 hours" as per the handbook, but the assignment email states a time later than 24 hours. I would be fine to turn it in by the stated time right? Or do they expect it 24 hours from when I accept?
3. Do I need to pay $5 per month for a Box account?

Thanks for any help. I just really would rather not piss anybody off with my first assignment.

1. Send a email to submissions@dailytranscription.com
subject: RECEIPT CONFIRMATION: PROGRAM NAME FILE: FILENAME
body: FILENAME RECEIVED, WILL COMPLETE HONORABLY

2. The due time is whenever they say the due time is, if it's less than 24 hours they'll usually be RUSH and you'll get paid more. Do not miss the time, worst thing you can do.

3. No, you just click on the link and it'll take you to the folder with your files.

wigglin
Dec 19, 2007

thylacine posted:

2. The due time is whenever they say the due time is, if it's less than 24 hours they'll usually be RUSH and you'll get paid more. Do not miss the time, worst thing you can do.

3. No, you just click on the link and it'll take you to the folder with your files.

Thanks a bunch, no more anxiety :buddy:

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

EVERYBODY TO THE BREAK ROOM THE BOSS GOT PIZZA!

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

thylacine posted:

EVERYBODY TO THE BREAK ROOM THE BOSS GOT PIZZA!

I saw that email on my phone. Email from HR saying something that at first glance looked like 'best of luck in your future endeavors', I almost peed a little.

thylacine posted:

I must be bad and/or lazy. I just reply to the email, confirming the time it's due, and CC submissions. Unless it's one of those meticulously written Heather assignments that specifically ask to repeat the filename, then I'll copy/paste it, formatting and all because :effort: Nobody's ever cared, but then I've been around awhile and they know I won't be late.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

counterfeitsaint posted:

I must be bad and/or lazy. I just reply to the email, confirming the time it's due, and CC submissions. Unless it's one of those meticulously written Heather assignments that specifically ask to repeat the filename, then I'll copy/paste it, formatting and all because :effort: Nobody's ever cared, but then I've been around awhile and they know I won't be late.

I know I developed that style of hyper specific confirmation e-mail because they kept bitching at me progressively until I ended up with a format so clinical and copy/paste that they stopped bitching.

Receipt Confirmation, [PROJECT]; File #[s]: [FILE_NAME], [FILE_NAME]

[FILE_NAME]

Received.

wigglin
Dec 19, 2007

Uh, didn't think I'd have to ask this, but how do you transcribe someone blowing a raspberry?

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

Pete Zah posted:

Uh, didn't think I'd have to ask this, but how do you transcribe someone blowing a raspberry?

pbbbbt

or words words words. – raspberry?

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010
[BLOWS RASPBERRY] is how I've always done it. But you can always use the fallback of [MAKES NOISE]

wigglin
Dec 19, 2007

They messed up a take and just deflated through their lips in one instance. Probably [MAKES NOISE] is safest for that. Though there's a bunch of "pbt" noises going on that probably don't deserve a tag.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
If it's a regular project I just slam a big [NON-INTERVIEW] over it, unless they're purposefully doing it for the take.

If it's something that you can't do that I become suicidal for a while but then just use [MAKES NOISE] if it's enough of a thing that it deserves it.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
That reminds me of my favorite tag. This girl was complaining that her pet bunny was more popular than her, so as a jokey they put the bunny in the interview chair and asked it questions, and all the responses I put WILBUR: [IS A BUNNY]

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

counterfeitsaint posted:

That reminds me of my favorite tag. This girl was complaining that her pet bunny was more popular than her, so as a jokey they put the bunny in the interview chair and asked it questions, and all the responses I put WILBUR: [IS A BUNNY]

I dig this. Very :3:

wigglin
Dec 19, 2007

I got a file that is just a bunch of poses and dances and stuff? Do I just do my best with tags like [HEISMAN POSE], [WIGGLES ARMS IN EXCITEMENT], and stuff?

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Pete Zah posted:

I got a file that is just a bunch of poses and dances and stuff? Do I just do my best with tags like [HEISMAN POSE], [WIGGLES ARMS IN EXCITEMENT], and stuff?

If the project doesn't tell you to get it, then gently caress all the poses and enjoy free money.

Killfast37
May 7, 2007

Pete Zah posted:

Usually it will be project specific and noted in the guide. I've seen some reality shows request [GESTURE] for any crazy face/pose, but if it's not noted I never transcribe body language.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Do all these kind of places need valid US working visas or are there international places? I'm stateside but I'm waiting for my green card to go through, so officially I can't work but I've got lots of free time and I'm a fast typer so either transcription or content writing sounds up my alley until I can get a 'proper' job again. If I can sign up with my UK credentials, this kind of thing would be a tremendous help while I'm eating the hell out of my savings...

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

I'm based in SA, and so far I've found I can work for Focus Forward and Way with Words (Aus-based company). Content mill stuff seems to have died recently, but Zerys, Textbroker and Constant Content accept non-US people.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Thanks, I'll do some research on them and see if it's something I can take a stab at.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
Fascinating, for the first time I'll be doing both sides of the same show (Completed, ready for air and captioning/transcriptions for segments that aren't in an episode yet) within the same 24 hour period.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I'm an audio engineer, composer, and sound designer by trade and I'm making a measly amount on Fiverr, but does anyone here have any other suggestions for ways that I could better monetize my skills? I'm in Canada, if that changes anything.

At the same time, if I'm better off trying something else online for extra money, I'd do this transcribing stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I'm an audio engineer, composer, and sound designer by trade and I'm making a measly amount on Fiverr, but does anyone here have any other suggestions for ways that I could better monetize my skills? I'm in Canada, if that changes anything.

At the same time, if I'm better off trying something else online for extra money, I'd do this transcribing stuff.

I'm Canadian and while nowhere near as good as the US section, Leapforce's Canadian tasks was a nice addon to my income.