Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

King of Bees posted:

Did pretty good! Got some beeliners (Vermillion snapper) and trigger fish. Couple of folks caught some big sharks, one big grouper, some red snaps (to throw back) and a lot of little fuckers.

Hell yeah, love a charter boat trip. How do trigger fish taste?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

In my opinion, it's a decent white fish. Nothing unique or special, but good if you like white fish. I far prefer snapper or porgy. Triggerfish can be tough to clean though, since the skin is really tough.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Yep the skin is like armor. But it's a great tasting mild fish as are the snapper. The fillet technique has you stabbing the fish. It's pretty cool.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Oh the trigger is really firm too. Like chicken almost.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

My buddy speared a few in Pensacola. Had a hell of time cutting it up and while the red snapper was amazing the trigger fish was pretty good.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
There is technique to filleting them. Stab then cut. It's weird a plate of red snapper around here would be an 18 dollar dish but trigger is 30.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I ended up using a bread knife to saw through then pliers to tug off the skin while lifting and cutting with filet knife.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

They're super quick at hitting bait, beating snapper and other fish to it, and will clean it off your hook without you feeling it. Often during the drop. I've foul hooked more on the drop than I've lip hooked all together.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
I watched this dude and it worked excellent: https://youtu.be/nmHziq6idvw

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Lol that soft spot is easy mode. Pretty cool.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Yeah, idve been hosed if I hadn't found that.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

King of Bees posted:

I watched this dude and it worked excellent: https://youtu.be/nmHziq6idvw

Hey, I know that guy. He runs a popular head boat company, one of the very few that aren’t total tourist traps. He know fishing like nobodies business.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Nice. People give them poo poo but head boats or party boats as I grew up calling them are loving blast. Just do tiny bit of research and it's such a cheap way to get out there when good fish are catchable.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

From what I know, head boats are called that since you pay per head. Contrast with charters, which charge a set trip rate, and it’s up to you to find people to split the cost with.

Aside from land or piers, and maybe one or two trips with friends, I’ve only ever fished from party boats. Mostly from the guy in the video’s boat, actually. It’s fun, and you don’t have to worry about anything that comes with boat ownership or figuring out where fish are.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
I'd say it's a cheap way to get out many miles. You can fish thier rod.or.bring your own. This last trip guy brought his own gear and got a gag grouper on the first stop. Probably 15 minutes into fishing. Paid the trip easily.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
One of.my best memories is running a party boat from San Diego to the Coronado island and hitting a yellow tail pod.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

I got a wahoo my first time vertical jigging on one of those boats.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Who is fishing this weekend? Has anybody paid attention to the spawn?

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

The spawn is the most important factor in whether I make it out to fish.

We're talking about our kids, right?

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Who is fishing this weekend? Has anybody paid attention to the spawn?

Which spawn? Bass are starting the tail end of spawning for me (upstate NY). Bluegill/panfish are starting now.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Any spawn you want to talk about. ;-* But also crappie.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
It's gonna be a hundred loving degrees here this weekend. I'm staying in

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

King of Bees posted:

It's gonna be a hundred loving degrees here this weekend. I'm staying in

coward.

Yesterday I got in the car, it was 98 degrees. I drove an hour to Pamlico Sound, it was 85 and breezy and I didn't sweat a drop. I caught my first shad, while slinging a spoon for sea trout that never showed up.

Since my minnow trap hadn't caught anything and my only other bait was frozen mullet or fish bites, I put him on a hook, slung him out, where he was eaten by this chap.

And that was it until later, when I thought I was stuck on something; the obstruction started swimming and before I could even touch my drag, the 25lb test popped right off. Probably a big-rear end skate or ray.

I love this loving pier. A quarter mile out into the sound, and so far out in the sticks down a 2 mile dirt road that even on a memorial day weekend it never had more than 4 people on it at a time (one of whom pulled a sea trout in the first five minutes).

Today I went, it was 98 degrees, no wind, and the only thing biting were crabs and something (as likely a turtle or crab as a fish) that immediately swam around or under an unseen obstruction, costing me a rig.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I would love to catch a bluefish some day.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
I think they're a drat menace :argh: they bend hooks, bite through lines etc. They are fun to fight though but not as much as jack crevalles

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

You listed a bunch of reason _why_ I want to land one!

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Never caught a bluefish but crevalles punch way above their weight class and are fun to catch.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

man who even fishes in saltwater without some kind of wire leader?

Anyhoo I'm gonna catch a goddamn sea trout this year. I won't stop until this is done, no matter how many bluefish or sand sharks decide to gently caress with me.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Me, unless I’m targeting sharks

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Anyhoo I'm gonna catch a goddamn sea trout this year. I won't stop until this is done, no matter how many bluefish or sand sharks decide to gently caress with me.

It's not really a thing on the west coast. Never used one for salmon, halibut or lingcod.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Not a thing on the east coast either. I never use wire. I only hear of it used for shark fishing.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Enigma posted:

Not a thing on the east coast either. I never use wire. I only hear of it used for shark fishing.

Same.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
In Florida people use wire leaders when night fishing, because that's when the sharks usually are active, but I have used one myself.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
If I'm casting through oyster beds, a light wire leader saves me quite a few expensive baits. Those yozuri's don't grow on trees.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I used a wire leader for extra abrasion resistance fishing rocks and oyster beds. 4 strand 65lb braid can only do so much. It also came in handy when dealing with sharks.

In other fishing news, I didn't skunk out today!

A 1 1/2-2lb bass smacked the poo poo outta my keitech a few casts before this and I had an excellent view of the strike, so I went to set the hook as soon as I saw him eat the bait and felt the rod load up. I was greeted with the sound of my drag slipping because it had backed off at some point and I hadn't checked it. He spit the bait and I couldn't get it rerigged and in the water again before he went off to munch on something else. 2 casts later this little turd smacked it. I definitely had quite a few bites, but most were pissed off bluegill and sunfish that were getting territorial with the perch pattern on the 4" swing impact. Still a good few hours before it got too hot.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

I gave up mono leaders in saltwater 15 years ago. Too many sandbar sharks and blues tearing them to shreds.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Ok I dislike sea lions full stop. Big smelly animals that are too smart for us dumb land monkeys to deal with without violence. I get it. However they deserve to live.

This guy insists that California sea lions are non native to the sound. Like how you be that dumb? They range from Alaska to Mexico and breed in CA. Migratory, that’s established science. He then said well the current population isn’t from the sound.

Besides they are eating almost all nursery fish since the wild runs are almost wiped out by humans.

People.

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk

LingcodKilla posted:

This guy insists that California sea lions are non native to the sound. Like how you be that dumb? They range from Alaska to Mexico and breed in CA. Migratory, that’s established science. He then said well the current population isn’t from the sound.

Besides they are eating almost all nursery fish since the wild runs are almost wiped out by humans.

People.

Some "conservationists" are often some of the most ignorant people when it comes to actual science.
Yes, sure get all indignant that people are harvesting their legal limit of trout. That are non-native and stocked explicitly for this purpose. Where exactly do you think that fish you "humanely" get from the supermarket comes from?

Also, silly lady with kids, I am not "hurting" bluegill by catch and release. And if I do, by chance, hurt them, that huge bass or pike or catfish your kids scared off that I'd been trying to get for an hour will get a nice free meal. While it laughs at me for wasting my time :(

LegionAreI fucked around with this message at 05:27 on May 29, 2019

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
There owner of a bar we frequent was telling us how all fish caught on light tackle were illegal to keep in the state of New Jersey. We wisely let the idiot rant on, and did not mention the freezer full of rainbows we have.

Whole baked rainbow trout with lemon and sage is deeeeelicious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Saw this going around, is this chunky boi a mutant or in breeding mode or what?

https://twitter.com/bruce_condello/status/1133563472653017088?s=21