Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I know it's wrong, but I'd definitely contribute to buying a few bikes known to be theft targets, sabotaging them in a subtle way (80% swingarm cut from the inside, etc), and leaving them in high theft areas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
"Huh the swingarm on the new bike we just unloaded is hosed. Weird, oh well"

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I think attaching a claymore trip wire to the front forks of a grom would be more sure and effective.

Thanks Minkee. 21 days?! Longer than I expected. I'll keep my patience and follow your advice. In the future, I'll have a lock and cover on it asap. Is lojack any good or worth it for bikes?

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Radbot posted:

I know it's wrong, but I'd definitely contribute to buying a few bikes known to be theft targets, sabotaging them in a subtle way (80% swingarm cut from the inside, etc), and leaving them in high theft areas.

That was the original intent behind baitcars. They would take a popular car to steal, like an Acura Integra, and fit it with the ability to cut the engine, lock the doors, and keep people inside. When they used these cars in Canada they would just drop off the car somewhere known for autotheft and wait a week before the batteries went dead. However when the cars started getting used in the US, police departments would drive the car to the ghetto, leave the car running with keys in it, door open. Some idiot kids would eventually jump it in it and take off, get locked and busted. To me it felt like the way the cars got used in the US was a trap for young dumb kids taking a car on a joyride, a crime of opportunity. They weren't catching an actual car thief. These cars had the ability to have GPS perimeter to be set for them and once they got out of the perimeter they would call home.

I would be for bait bikes tho. Bike with gps locators buried in the frame that you could follow back to the chop shop and with a camera hidden in the instrument area to attempt to get a picture of whole stole the bike.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

There's a fine line between a sting and entrapment.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Bait cars are light years from entrapment.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

clutchpuck posted:

Bait cars are light years from entrapment.

Yeah but when the dump the car in front of a group of teens with the door open, keys in it, and the car running, then they're certainly not catching a habitual car thief.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
There was a pretty great TV show in the UK a while back that featured bait cars and bikes that would do ridiculous poo poo like fall apart or lock the doors and fill with foam.

One of the bikes had a high pressure foam hose pointed straight up in the middle of the saddle :laugh:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Coredump posted:

Yeah but when the dump the car in front of a group of teens with the door open, keys in it, and the car running, then they're certainly not catching a habitual car thief.
Got to fill those prison quotas.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Coredump posted:

protip: don't steal cars. hth

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

builds character posted:

Oh thanks, I didn't know that.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I'd much rather have the cops focus on pro theft rings rather than someone who's drunk or young and dumb taking advantage of a car that's left running with unlocked doors (because only idiots do that, and I'm not that much of an idiot).

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

builds character posted:

If you leave your door open with the keys in the ignition then you deserve to lose your car for being a dumbass.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
About a month ago or something I was out with the missus walking through a car park to grab some food, the sun was going down and we saw a black BMW with its lights on, engine still running, windows open, and nobody inside.

There was also a a printed piece of paper on the window which stated "This car is being monitored by CCTV", I don't know what the gently caress they were trying to prove besides hogging a car spot; reach inside and find fabulous prizes?

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Super Slash posted:

About a month ago or something I was out with the missus walking through a car park to grab some food, the sun was going down and we saw a black BMW with its lights on, engine still running, windows open, and nobody inside.

There was also a a printed piece of paper on the window which stated "This car is being monitored by CCTV", I don't know what the gently caress they were trying to prove besides hogging a car spot; reach inside and find fabulous prizes?

There was a dude who pulled up in front of a grocery store as I was leaving. He just hopped out and left his car running, basically in the pedestrian exit zone/halfway into the fire lane paint. I thought it was a particularly douche move, so I locked his doors and went on my way.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

There was a dude who pulled up in front of a grocery store as I was leaving. He just hopped out and left his car running, basically in the pedestrian exit zone/halfway into the fire lane paint. I thought it was a particularly douche move, so I locked his doors and went on my way.

:boom: This owns. Mind if I.... :ninja: steal it?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Yeah that was an inconsiderate place to leave his vehicle, good on you for helping him move it.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Welp my garage is back up to 2 Buells again. Another Ulysses. Making some cam or rocker noise. Been sitting for 2 solid years, real ugly. Uglier than usual that is. Got a Drummer muffler I kind of want on it.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

clutchpuck posted:

Welp my garage is back up to 2 Buells again.
Someone broke in and left them there?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
New record. Three people pulling out in front of me in 60 seconds. (Ok to be fair the second one pulled out on the car in front of me, but I'm counting it since I had to depart my lane to get around her)

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

revmoo posted:

New record. Three people pulling out in front of me in 60 seconds. (Ok to be fair the second one pulled out on the car in front of me, but I'm counting it since I had to depart my lane to get around her)

You just need a louder fan.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I'm starting to wonder if white was a bad decision of color choice. I mean, I'll be driving along, with my high beams on, doing a SMIDSY maneuver, slowing down 10-15mph under the limit when passing these people, and still yet I get cars pulling out across me once every other mile while I'm in the city. I'm going slow enough that it's not really dangerous, but good god is it loving annoying to have to come to a stop every 2-3 minutes because someone wants to pull out RIGHT WHEN I'M GOING PAST THEM

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
Sometimes when I'm a passenger in a car in LA I like to play the "gently caress this stupid city" game. What I do is I look out the window while driving on the highway, and I watch for distracted drivers in the adjacent lane. Obviously cell phones, books, video games, ipads, and laptops all count as distracted driving, but I also count drivers who are eating or holding conversations with passengers that result in them using one or both hands to illustrate their point. (As I see it, when you resort to body language and hand signals while driving you've completely surrendered your attention to the conversation, not the road.)

Anyway, my record is 20. 20 distracted drivers in a row.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
21 if you count the fella more focused on other drivers than the road

DrakIris
Oct 15, 2009

Chichevache posted:

Sometimes when I'm a passenger in a car...

Do passengers count as drivers now? :confused:

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Capitalism has its problems too but, much like distracted driving, is inevitable and will never stop.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

DrakIris posted:

I assumed that part was bull so he wouldn't catch poo poo.

Distracted driving will stop when cars start driving themselves.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

The self driving car can't get here fast enough.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

nsaP posted:

I assumed that part was bull so he wouldn't catch poo poo.

It isn't. I don't own a car and driving actually aggravates my back.

I have a medical reason for riding motorcycles. :thumbsup:

(Also you're still an idiot.]

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Radbot posted:

Capitalism has its problems too but, much like distracted driving, is inevitable and will never stop.

Until it inevitably crashes because it wasn't watching where it was going. A good analogy.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Chichevache posted:

It isn't. I don't own a car and driving actually aggravates my back.

I have a medical reason for riding motorcycles. :thumbsup:

(Also you're still an idiot.]

hmmm....the lady doth protest too much

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
gently caress me nsaP, really earning that avatar today aren't we?

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

As long as he stays in the padded room in the cycle asylum and stops spilling into the real threads I see no problem.

Touring bikes are just narrow cars, not 'real' motorcycles.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Renaissance Robot posted:

gently caress me nsaP, really earning that avatar today aren't we?

It does make his frantic appeals for people to post in the "weekly riding challenge thread" that much funnier. "Help, I'm an insufferable douche who does everything he can to alienate other riders on this forum! Why won't anyone come post in my thread?!:qq:"

Like, maybe if his posts were slightly humorous like this is:

DrakIris posted:

But instead he just keeps on bungling around, doubling down on his dickhead shtick. (It is a shtick, right? I'd almost feel bad if SA was just the place you went to interact with people because you're this abrasive and insufferable irl.)

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
To be fair, I think the constant distracted-driver whining and pervasive judginess here is pretty obnoxious.

N is for Nipples posted:

Touring bikes are just narrow cars, not 'real' motorcycles.

If you have to wear a backpack you have to grow up.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Chichevache posted:

It is a shtick, right?

I hope so. I have a pretty grim view of the world but I don't think I could deal with the idea of nsap being more than an internet persona.

clutchpuck posted:

If you have to wear a backpack you have to grow up.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
the beef is real

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

clutchpuck posted:

To be fair, I think the constant distracted-driver whining and pervasive judginess here is pretty obnoxious.

This is the ranting echo chamber though. I don't know what else you expect.:confused:

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Chichevache posted:

I don't know what else you expect.:confused:

Well I don't expect it to stay in this topic, but it'd be nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Chichevache posted:

It does make his frantic appeals for people to post in the "weekly riding challenge thread" that much funnier. "Help, I'm an insufferable douche who does everything he can to alienate other riders on this forum! Why won't anyone come post in my thread?!:qq:"

Like, maybe if his posts were slightly humorous like this is:

But instead he just keeps on bungling around, doubling down on his dickhead shtick. (It is a shtick, right? I'd almost feel bad if SA was just the place you went to interact with people because you're this abrasive and insufferable irl.)

nsaP posted:

hmmm....the lady doth protest too much