Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ
is kanji even where you would want to start if you were trying to learn japanese

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Skwee posted:

is kanji even where you would want to start if you were trying to learn japanese

It's useful but literally only knowing kanji is obviously problematic, in the literal sense of 'start with' you should absolutely be learning hiragana/katakana but then you need to cover a bit of everything. Well, depending on what you're going to be trying to read/write/hear/speak.

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ
awww yiss. Just beat a level 26 song in SS. Naked Romance. Can't do very well, but still it's a win.

Polsy posted:

It's useful but literally only knowing kanji is obviously problematic, in the literal sense of 'start with' you should absolutely be learning hiragana/katakana but then you need to cover a bit of everything. Well, depending on what you're going to be trying to read/write/hear/speak.

yeah i figured the simpler thing was probably what you would want to learn first. Still don't have a clue where to learn that though. Unless that WaniKani site teaches you hiragana/katakana as well, but it just talks about radicals and kanji mostly, so i doubt it.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Yeah, wanikani is just a kanji learning site. For kana I just went to some site that I don't remember off the top of my head with hiragana/katakana tables and read/wrote them all down a lot until I had them memorised. Maybe find one which shows the stroke order if you plan to write them ever, though I don't actually remember if I did that now or if I just figured it out after.

Christmas Cake
Dec 25, 2008

Learn kana, start grinding kanji, skim some kind of grammar thing you don't get, read a bunch of poo poo in Japanese on the internet, skim the grammar thing again and go "OH THAT'S THE THING I KEEP SEEING" and repeat those last few steps until you can more or less understand what you want and stall out forever.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

I'm somewhere in the last few steps still partly because I read* a lot of things but don't actually look up the things I don't get enough. I should probably cut down on the former to make time for the later.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Christmas Cake posted:

Learn kana, start grinding kanji, skim some kind of grammar thing you don't get, read a bunch of poo poo in Japanese on the internet, skim the grammar thing again and go "OH THAT'S THE THING I KEEP SEEING" and repeat those last few steps until you can more or less understand what you want and stall out forever.

poo poo yeah, this is me. Except throw in "play rhythm games in Japanese and see some kanji over and over and finally commit what each bit is". Also I have a teachy book that I practice from.
But a good amount is also "i tried to translate this but i don't know what this 「のに」 construction means pls help" type things, and I get to learn from those.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
WaniKani is pretty good. Been using it for awhile now. Recommended if you have a decent amount of time to set aside each day.

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ
ooooohooooooo man adrenaline rush full comboing a song.

Getting past that part where you usually break your combo and then adrenaline just starts pumping and you are like super high strung for the rest of the song, but then finish and you've done it. Feels good.

Full combo'd Angel Breeze. Maybe a somewhat easy song for some of you, with only 24 stars, but i think it's the most difficult one that i've full combo'd now, and it only took me 6 clears! really feel good about that lol.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Today is March 22nd. Nico Day.

IT BEGINS.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
DAY 1: NICO DAY

Nico Nico Ni!

The joke is that ni means 2, which is how many SRs I got.

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ
I've got 67 loveca

i wonder if I should pull nozomi or rin

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Today is March 22nd. Nico Day.

IT BEGINS.

It begins RIGHT NOW.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYOfxS_Qp1g

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

WILL YOU RISK IT ALL????

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Weird that there was a Nico R I'd never gotten. Never even seen the picture before.

Consolation prize:

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

WILL YOU RISK IT ALL????

3000 DIGIYENS, ALL FOR NICO

It's a good Nico!

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ

Skwee posted:

Wow the first song I had in this hard medley just destroyed me. Never seen it before. "Dancing Stars on Me"

Like 1 minute into the song it alternates between double taps and single taps around the board and my brain just poo poo itself

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xn-DXUfAZfU&t=64s

man screw this song

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ
i even equipped my healing team this time since i saw it was 2nd in the medley, and I still failed.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Weird that there was a Nico R I'd never gotten. Never even seen the picture before.

Consolation prize:

Aw, sweet, that and Animal Honoka are 2 of my favorite URs.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

3000 DIGIYENS, ALL FOR NICO

It's a good Nico!

:toot:

I dunno which one the excited smiley was.

Congrats!

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

It did the thing where they poured out all R-colored, and I spent the whole time through the opening worrying that I'd done it again, I'd pulled when there wasn't a guaranteed SR (there is, thank God). Then it transformed and all was well! Now I need the Maki Valentine's UR so that they hold hands.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
It is a very good Nico. Great Nico pulls.

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ

good times.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Skwee what are you doing you have to start each match with "Nico Nico Ni" and end each with "Harasho!"

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ
ohh, so that's how you get high scores. i thought there was some skill involved or something

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
That reminds me, I ran into the number 1 guy yesterday.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Skwee posted:

yeah i figured the simpler thing was probably what you would want to learn first. Still don't have a clue where to learn that though. Unless that WaniKani site teaches you hiragana/katakana as well, but it just talks about radicals and kanji mostly, so i doubt it.

hiragana and katakana are really easy to learn through rote memorization and wanki's FAQ links to its hiragana and katakana charts.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Sonata Mused posted:

WaniKani is pretty good. Been using it for awhile now. Recommended if you have a decent amount of time to set aside each day.

the worst part of early wanki tho is when you accidentally mispell one or two kanji and then the next lesson 8 hours from then is consisted entirely of just those two kanji it assumes you don't know, thereby basically "wasting" that lesson. It's a real big pain whne that happens.

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ

Allarion posted:

That reminds me, I ran into the number 1 guy yesterday.

how tf do you get that many event points? Nearly 400,000

Like the best possible outcome of points per song is 408, so this guy has to have played nearly 1k matches

like if i'm not terrible at math it'd be around 30 hours of actually playing a song (assuming songs are 2 minutes each.. idk)

how long has this event been running

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Skwee posted:

how tf do you get that many event points? Nearly 400,000

Like the best possible outcome of points per song is 408, so this guy has to have played nearly 1k matches

like if i'm not terrible at math it'd be around 30 hours of actually playing a song (assuming songs are 2 minutes each.. idk)

how long has this event been running

Yeah, the top players pretty much play constantly. For score matches, they have the option of intentionally losing for a pittance of points, which is terribly gem-inefficient, but more time-efficient.

I know there was a guy that got to 1,000,000 points for a Hanayo event a year or so back.

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ
i was just reading some info about score matches. apparently you can force quit the app while on the part where you can send chat messages before a song and you won't lose LP and you can play something else.

just tried it on my alt account that i haven't played in ages and it works. You don't get event points, but you can basically choose your matches that way.

you're also helping the other people who were in the match get higher amount of event points though, so there's that i guess

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Aiko is unexpectedly strong

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
Goddamn it, one note away from FCing Master Anzu no Uta, and it was a note I've never missed before.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

low key anzu sign on kirari's door to show that they are married

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
It looks more like a door in her room, not too her room. It's like a little indoor doghouse, but for a little idol instead of a little dog.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

It looks more like a door in her room, not too her room. It's like a little indoor doghouse, but for a little idol instead of a little dog.

it actually sort of looks like the house front leads right to the bed, oh my

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
It makes me think of the bkub derem@s stuff where Anzu (and Nina, for that matter) are tiny enough to fit in Kirari's purse.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

scandals? in my imas? more likely than you think

graybook posted:

It makes me think of the bkub derem@s stuff where Anzu (and Nina, for that matter) are tiny enough to fit in Kirari's purse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

drunken yuri in my imas? truly scandalous!