Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

When will they anime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

The sketch with the bots as the uncaring god monsters From Beast of Hollow Mountain is maybe my hardest laugh from MST3K ever.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgoybhQNzEc
(Not mine)

mangler103
Jun 6, 2003

Metroid sighting huh? Well, I did just pour this coffee...it will still be there tomorrow.
This thread reminded me that I bought all those Cinematic Titanic episodes digitally. I went looking for them, and realized the site I bought them from is long gone. :/

I hope that the .iso's survived on my hard drive somewhere. I really liked those.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

With everyone posting the different iterations of the theme song, does anyone have a timeline of the hosts/antagonists? I've never exactly been too clear on that.

It was Dr. Forrester and TV's Frank, and then Pearl, Bobo and Brain Guy, right?

But is Pearl Dr. Forrester's mother? And was the switch ever explained?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I wanna know where the hell Kinga is supposed to have come from, considering Dr. Forrester's fate in the show.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

LadyPictureShow posted:

With everyone posting the different iterations of the theme song, does anyone have a timeline of the hosts/antagonists? I've never exactly been too clear on that.

Pearl is his mother, and she showed up as a background character for his last few episodes.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

LadyPictureShow posted:

Pearl is indeed Steve's mom.

She gets introduced while Frank is still around and is sort of Co Villain for season 7. At the end of season 7 Forrester gets turned into a star child and she apparently smothers him in his sleep when he turns out the same as before, then she ends up in the future due to cryogenic-ally freezing herself and becomes ruler of the Apes.

And then time travel gets involved. Kinga is confirmed to be Steve's daughter and Pearl's granddaughter, so that's something.

I like to think her mom is Resussu Annie, that crash test dummy Forrester dated for a time

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

LadyPictureShow posted:

This is my memory from watching the show on and off over the years, and may be in accurate, but:

First it was actually Dr Forrester and Dr Erhardt (played by Josh Weinstein, who also voiced Servo). Erhardt left once Season One was off the air, and TV's Frank showed up as the new minion at the start of Season Two (I don't know if there's a canonical reason for why one left and the other started).

Frank left at the end of Season Six, right before the movie (the movie is Dr Forrester alone), and in the season 7 premiere, Pearl (who is Dr Forrester's mother) moves in, seemingly under the dual reasons of helping Dr Forrester cope with Frank's absence, and to chide him for being a bit of a failure.

At the end of Season 7, Dr Forrester has a 2001-style encounter and becomes a star child type nebulous being (and then a baby) and through a hand wave, his baby form is gone by the start of Season 8.

Season 8 - the first on the Sci Fi Channel - starts with Pearl alone, but she picks up Bobo and Brain Guy over the early sci fi years.

It's uncertain exactly how Kinga lands in the family tree, but she's somehow a descendant of Dr Forrester.

I probably missed some detail in there, but I'm pretty sure that's the gist of it.

Burkion posted:

She gets introduced while Frank is still around and is sort of Co Villain for season 7. At the end of season 7 Forrester gets turned into a star child and she apparently smothers him in his sleep when he turns out the same as before, then she ends up in the future due to cryogenic-ally freezing herself and becomes ruler of the Apes.

And then time travel gets involved. Kinga is confirmed to be Steve's daughter and Pearl's granddaughter, so that's something.

I like to think her mom is Resussu Annie, that crash test dummy Forrester dated for a time

Referring to Dr Forrester as "Steve" is a pretty deep cut when explaining continuity, isn't it? His character's name is Dr Clayton Forrester but TV's Frank calls him Steve all the time. Was there actually an explanation for that, other than Frank being a goof?

ja2ke fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Apr 24, 2017

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Found them on youtube. They're as bad as I remember:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TP0nIMKSTz0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dLqbfD0HSQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sw6SXaDkjjg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfAQORlhEQg

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Pearl Forrester showed up in a season 6 episode, seemingly as a one-off character. She quickly becomes buds with Frank, much to Dr. F's chagrin.

I think the Frank calling Dr. F "Steve" is just a throwaway gag. Kind of like how Pearl calls Crow "Art."

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Clayton Deborah Susan Forrester

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Bobo and Brain Guy kinda felt unnecessary though.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

ja2ke posted:

First it was actually Dr Forrester and Dr Erhardt (played by Josh Weinstein, who also voiced Servo). Erhardt left once Season One was off the air, and TV's Frank showed up as the new minion at the start of Season Two (I don't know if there's a canonical reason for why one left and the other started).

In the season three episode "Earth vs. the Spider", a giant spider kills someone who sort of looks like Weinstein. It's more-or-less been accepted that his character ended up the same way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiUQ78kozjk&t=2561s

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

Oh god I'm so lonely in here...
:negative:

duz posted:

I don't remember the context of that so maybe he could've been saying cachet?

It was in wizards 2, Jonah says "weapons cashay."

Shameful.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Ballz posted:

Pearl Forrester showed up in a season 6 episode, seemingly as a one-off character. She quickly becomes buds with Frank, much to Dr. F's chagrin.

I think the Frank calling Dr. F "Steve" is just a throwaway gag. Kind of like how Pearl calls Crow "Art."

The Art thing is because in the Joel years there was a letter with a child's drawing that labeled Crow as "Art," based on a misunderstanding of a skit from years before where Crow was playing a character on a talk show called "Art Crow" like as a stand-in for like Art Linkletter or somebody. It's a deep cut.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It was Art Carney because the skit was based around the Jackie Gleason Show, I believe.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

ja2ke posted:

Dr. Ernhardt simply went missing and his face was put on a milk carton. Frank was a trainee brought in to replace him.

ja2ke posted:

Season 8 - the first on the Sci Fi Channel - starts with Pearl alone, but she picks up Bobo and Brain Guy over the early sci fi years.

Bobo was there from the beginning of Season 8 as the Nelson bloodline kept breeding with apes until causing an ape-ruled future.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

mangler103 posted:

This thread reminded me that I bought all those Cinematic Titanic episodes digitally. I went looking for them, and realized the site I bought them from is long gone. :/

I hope that the .iso's survived on my hard drive somewhere. I really liked those.

Likewise, I only bought the first two at the time but want to see the rest now.

LadyPictureShow posted:

Wikipedia has timeline.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

In easy list form:

Season 1: Joel, Dr. Forester, Dr. Ernhardt (Trace as Crow, Josh as Servo).
Seasons 2-4: Joel, Dr. Forester, TV's Frank (Trace as Crow, Kevin as Servo).
Seasons 4-6: Mike, Dr. Forester, TV's Frank (Trace as Crow, Kevin as Servo). Season 6 had some guest appearances by Pearl.
Season 7: Mike, Dr. Forester, Pearl (Trace as Crow, Kevin as Servo).
Seasons 8-10: Mike, Pearl, Bobo, Brain Guy (Bill as Crow, Kevin as Servo). Brain guy wasn't introduced until a couple of episodes into season 8.

Kevin was the most consistent cast member (and most people don't love season 1 anyway), which I think is part of why people have difficulty adjusting to anyone else as Servo.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Burkion posted:

Not everybody is Steve!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Mantis42 posted:

Bobo and Brain Guy kinda felt unnecessary though.

Who would Ortega and his cousin have watched Sliders with, then? :colbert:

(That is one of my favourite runners in the show, with Brain Guy's party way outdoing Pearl's.)

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

It was always great how Brain Guy had such a good social life outside the castle. He was the only one going on dates, having friends over, really doing anything except tormenting Mike.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Bicyclops posted:

In easy list form:

Season 1: Joel, Dr. Forester, Dr. Ernhardt (Trace as Crow, Josh as Servo).
Seasons 2-4: Joel, Dr. Forester, TV's Frank (Trace as Crow, Kevin as Servo).
Seasons 4-6: Mike, Dr. Forester, TV's Frank (Trace as Crow, Kevin as Servo). Season 6 had some guest appearances by Pearl.
Season 7: Mike, Dr. Forester, Pearl (Trace as Crow, Kevin as Servo).
Seasons 8-10: Mike, Pearl, Bobo, Brain Guy (Bill as Crow, Kevin as Servo). Brain guy wasn't introduced until a couple of episodes into season 8.

Kevin was the most consistent cast member (and most people don't love season 1 anyway), which I think is part of why people have difficulty adjusting to anyone else as Servo.

I think he was either the cameraman or editor for the KTMA season and did some tech work plus writing on Season 1. In fact, the Scrapbook tape shows him helping put the SOL set together.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Egbert Souse posted:

I think he was either the cameraman or editor for the KTMA season and did some tech work plus writing on Season 1. In fact, the Scrapbook tape shows him helping put the SOL set together.

Yeah, Kevin worked with Jim and Joel as far back as the KTMA days. He was just behind-the-scenes only in season 1.

Here's Kevin doing a KTMA new year's special produced by Jim, circa 1987:

Also slight correction to Bicyclops' timeline: the Joel/Mike transition was season 5, not 4.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Gavok posted:

Bobo was there from the beginning of Season 8 as the Nelson bloodline kept breeding with apes until causing an ape-ruled future.
I never connected Bobo with Mike. Is that canon? I missed a bunch of older eps. I kinda like that implication though.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The Ape of Naples posted:

I never connected Bobo with Mike. Is that canon? I missed a bunch of older eps. I kinda like that implication though.

As canon as anything is in MST3K, I guess. It's easy to take it as just Crow and Servo just making up fake internet research on Mike's ancestry to torment him, but they do flat out state that the reason apes rule the world is because the Nelson family keeps marrying apes. Mike does play one of the Ape Lords, Dr. Peanut.

The crew were forced into having a storyline with continuity by Sci Fi executives, so it's fairly probable that they were intentionally as off the wall as possible just to rebel against what they felt was network interference, something they hadn't experienced as much on Comedy Central. There they were seen as sort of a prestige show that won awards, never did spectacularly in the ratings, but defined the early network identity and, after all, they were in Minnesota, and who wanted to actually go all the way out there and tell them what to do (the Sci Fi channel, once it got purchased by USA, did want to go there and tell them what to do).

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

mangler103 posted:

That's why I bought the physical copies. :v:

Bicyclops posted:

The crew were forced into having a storyline with continuity by Sci Fi executives, so it's fairly probable that they were intentionally as off the wall as possible just to rebel against what they felt was network interference, something they hadn't experienced as much on Comedy Central. There they were seen as sort of a prestige show that won awards, never did spectacularly in the ratings, but defined the early network identity and, after all, they were in Minnesota, and who wanted to actually go all the way out there and tell them what to do (the Sci Fi channel, once it got purchased by USA, did want to go there and tell them what to do).

And two of their other significant mandates that affected the show were "no shorts" and "scifi/fantasy movies only" (presumably out of the library that the scifi channel had already licensed). They relented on that in season 10 at least and we got some of the greatest stuff right before they went off the air.

mangler103
Jun 6, 2003

Metroid sighting huh? Well, I did just pour this coffee...it will still be there tomorrow.

Random Stranger posted:

That's why I bought the physical copies. :v:

And two of their other significant mandates that affected the show were "no shorts" and "scifi/fantasy movies only" (presumably out of the library that the scifi channel had already licensed). They relented on that in season 10 at least and we got some of the greatest stuff right before they went off the air.

I found that I had burned most of them on DVD, but it looks like I'm missing East Meets Watts and Danger on Tiki Island. Maybe they'll turn up somewhere.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Junkie Disease posted:

When will they anime

The main problem is they'd need an anime that is appropriately cheesy/bad, the right length, has an English dub, isn't too expensive and/or hard to license, and perhaps most importantly has to fit into the vague content guidelines the show has(a lot of the OVA's and Movies that I can think of that would be the best fit for MST3K all tend to be either too violent and/or have lots of nudity)

So overall it's a challenge

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I doubt they could get the rights, but that one Studio Ghibli film Tales from Earthsea would be perfect to be riffed.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Poor Miserable Gurgi posted:

Not everybody is Steve!

Ah hahaha

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I had only watched a handful of MST3k episodes as a kid and wanted more after watching the revival. The first old one I watched was Time of the Apes. The ending of that movie makes no sense with the cuts they made. (and from reading what was cut online, still doesn't really make sense.) Any must see classic episodes? (I don't care what era of the show they are from.)

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Spacebump posted:

I had only watched a handful of MST3k episodes as a kid and wanted more after watching the revival. The first old one I watched was Time of the Apes. The ending of that movie makes no sense with the cuts they made. (and from reading what was cut online, still doesn't really make sense.) Any must see classic episodes? (I don't care what era of the show they are from.)

If you're a giant monster fan, all of the Godzilla and Gamera episodes are must haves.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
I kinda unironically love Kor.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Random Stranger posted:

And two of their other significant mandates that affected the show were "no shorts"

The dumbest mandate. Young Man's Fancy, Day at the Fair, the Auto Show Whatever the Hell that was, KEEPING NEAT AND CLEAN, Are You Ready for Marriage, the one where Union Pacific implores us to not get run over by trains, the time a demon and an angel battle for the soul of a bread delivery man, and that kid that cheated on the test outstrip many of the full length movies in awesome riffs.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Spacebump posted:

Okay, going with one pick per season and trying to select things that are big episodes or representative:

Robot Monster - Season one is skippable because they were still figuring things out, but if I had to go with one episode
Rocket Attack USA - Getting into the good stuff now with my first episode which I watched when they first aired it. It introduced the idea of the stinger and it has a hell of an ending.
Pod People - Getting harder to pick because so many great episodes, but Pod People has the best musical number the show has done.
Monster-a-Go-Go - Ha ha just kidding. Of course it's Manos: The Hands of Fate for reasons far to obvious to state here.
Mitchell - The last Joel episode and it's amazing.
The Beast of Yucca Flats - Most of my favorite episodes in season six are "advanced MST3K" so I'll point out Beast as both part of the Coleman Francis trilogy and a magically awful film.
Laserblast - The last Comedy Central episode and also really good.
Prince of Space - Your weapons are useless against this episode.
Pumaman - Entirely on how absurd the film is.
Squirm - The main riff is fine. The short is one of the greatest things they ever did (I have to wonder if the Simpsons writers had to watch that film in school of if they had just seen another terrible educational film that used the same concept).

There you go, ten recommendations that cover the breadth of the series pretty well, I think. Okay, maybe a few more bad teen dramas and a few less monsters would be appropriate but those monsters are their bread and butter.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Apr 24, 2017

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Sash! posted:

The dumbest mandate. Young Man's Fancy, Day at the Fair, the Auto Show Whatever the Hell that was, KEEPING NEAT AND CLEAN, Are You Ready for Marriage, the one where Union Pacific implores us to not get run over by trains, the time a demon and an angel battle for the soul of a bread delivery man, and that kid that cheated on the test outstrip many of the full length movies in awesome riffs.

Don't forget the one where Union Pacific warns us that the causes of accidents are joy, sex, and old age.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Sash! posted:

And lest we forget,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWIQuvbxu0E

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Goddamnit why must every thread mention those fat unfunny losers.

No one's talking about your family. :haw: