Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Ibblebibble posted:

Once you get around to the bits of the game where they get better about putting in multiple facial expressions, have you got a handy system to do that on the LP end or will you just be ignoring it?

The transcription I am using does not note their facial expressions so it would take exponentially more work for me to include that, unfortunately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Clarste posted:

Gotcha. That said, there will eventually be a lot of characters who might be hard to tell apart from just their mug shots. This is a gacha game, after all. I'll try experimenting with different sizes.

It's always a case by case judgement, so not everything works the same for every lp. If you feel the current size will be helpful going forward, by all means keep the large portraits! Especially if there are varied expressions later on.

quote:

The images are 1600 x 900 when I save them from the emulator, I don't know if that's the native game resolution. I shrunk them in half so they could fit, but I guess 900px is better size to shoot for.

It depends a bit on how much the reader is expected to, well, read on the images, but it can't really hurt. The forums automatically downsize large images so you don't have to worry about forcing people to scroll vertically. Plus, by saving as jpg instead of png, the updates should still be lighter with larger images than they are right now!

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I redid the prologue with 75x75 portraits and condensing their lines somewhat. The main images are still png, but honestly redoing all of those seems unnecessary when I can just change them up going forward? Unlike portraits we won't be seeing these particular images ever again.

Prologue

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Looks better, although your italics break at " No... Nobody else should know about the Doctor being here. "

As for changing the images, it's kind of an "only if you're sufficiently obsessed and bothered by it" kind of thing. If you're not, and it doesn't, just leave them as is.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Clarste posted:

I did some test pages for an Arknights LP, mostly to test myself to see how willing to put in the work I'd be, but I'd also like some feedback:
OP
Prologue
Mission 0-1

Seems fine aside from that italics break that was mentioned.

vilkacis posted:

Personally i like to use a blank image to indent the text instead of repeating the mug, like so:

I've seen some LPs use this method, and I will note that on smaller monitors or on mobile, that formatting will break slightly and you see some weirdly disjointed text there.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Araxxor posted:

I've seen some LPs use this method, and I will note that on smaller monitors or on mobile, that formatting will break slightly and you see some weirdly disjointed text there.

Huh, i've never heard anything like that before! It shouldn't really be possible for that method to break anything that doesn't already break with ordinary portraits. Do you have any examples?

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

i can't wait to see who will do the grand experiment of LPing via tiktok

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
If I wasn't old and actually understood why you'd wanna do "TikTok" I'd do it. An LP with bite-sized video updates doesn't actually seem like a bad idea to me. It really depends on what you wanna showcase with it though.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

It's not breaking anything, per se, just auto word wrap working as intended, but here are some screenshots from my phone:

vs:

To me, personally, the one with the portraits looks better. I guess it's just that the "blank space" looks like a paragraph indent once there's text below it but my brain is telling me that there's too much space there and also is expecting a blank line between paragraphs, where with the portraits that isn't happening.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

biosterous posted:

IGgy IGsen posted:

If I wasn't old and actually understood why you'd wanna do "TikTok" I'd do it. An LP with bite-sized video updates doesn't actually seem like a bad idea to me. It really depends on what you wanna showcase with it though.
Dunno what the length limits on TikTok are cause I've never used it before, but it seems like it wouldn't be a bad idea for SSLPs that had video for cutscenes and boss battles and stuff like that. Y'know, if YouTube wasn't already a thing you could use for that.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
I'm not sure if there is a limit but most TikToks I've encountered are not very long. I think doing LP episodes in as short of an amount of time as possible can be a fun challenge. Whether you want to be funny or informative, condensing what you need to say in as few words as possible is not easy, and putting it together as something like an LP that relies solely on these short videos could be fun. It'd probably work best for simpler simulation style games where you can quickly put a spotlight on something while still letting the viewer get an understanding of the general gameplay.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Warioware LP obviously.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

The first thing I thought of were Excelblem's Fire Emblem iron man videos (FE11 Hard 5 and FE12 Lunatic). One FE chapter in one minute or less.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Tiktok videos are sixty seconds long but apparently the cap is being lifted to three minutes.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Commander Keene posted:

my brain is telling me that there's too much space there

In this case i certainly understand that since the portraits are so big. Were they half that size, it would start to look more reasonably indented.

But of course it's a matter of taste as well.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

biosterous posted:

I saw someone do a SSLP in Discord, anything is possible.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Mega64 posted:

I saw someone do a SSLP in Discord, anything is possible.

What kind of LP was that? Sounds interesting.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I can do an LP with the song called Tik Tok if that is an acceptable compromise.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
We once had a text-only LP of REZ, people will try anything once.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Let's throw a Medicham into a volcano and make it give the T2 thumbs up!

Commander Keene posted:

Dunno what the length limits on TikTok are cause I've never used it before, but it seems like it wouldn't be a bad idea for SSLPs that had video for cutscenes and boss battles and stuff like that. Y'know, if YouTube wasn't already a thing you could use for that.

There are times when a moment you want to showcase is too much for a 2mb gif but not long enough to justify a YouTube upload. Then again, I see a lot of 1-5 second YouTube videos around, so maybe I'm just being weird about my uploads.

Still, being able to embed those would be cool. Not sure I'm going to create a TikTok account just for that, though.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

TheMcD posted:

What kind of LP was that? Sounds interesting.

It was someone doing a playthrough of Final Fantasy Dimensions in the official FF5 Four Job Fiesta discord in one of the off-topic channels. They basically posted screenshots of everything they did and talked about it, so while it wasn’t really a LP, it was one in basic structure.

I only saw it because they decided to announce their new playthrough with @everyone.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Psycho Knight posted:

There are times when a moment you want to showcase is too much for a 2mb gif but not long enough to justify a YouTube upload. Then again, I see a lot of 1-5 second YouTube videos around, so maybe I'm just being weird about my uploads.

Still, being able to embed those would be cool. Not sure I'm going to create a TikTok account just for that, though.

That’s what I use MP4’s for, they’re perfect for short clips like that. The issue is hosting them (since MP4 hosts keep dying) and their janky implementation in the forums in general (they autoplay without sound if hosted on Imgur or Gfycat, and need to be manually played hosted anywhere else). If you have self-hosting, they’re the best option.

No clue how Tik Tok handles game footage either.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Doing some prelim work for a new LP and just need an opinion on portraits. The game doesn't really have sprite rips, so I'll probably be ripping them out from the screenshots myself for portraits. I just want to see how the resizing feels.

This is the sprite as extracted from the screenshot I took for a test at my gameplay resolution. Bit big, right?

This is me resizing the sprite at about half of the size. It doesn't feel quite as sharp as the raw extract, but the size feels a lot better to me.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I think you could probably find a medium between those. I tried resizing that to 60x81 and it looks mostly fine to me.

It all depends on preference, though. I tend to err towards larger portraits.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

OMG! Are you LPing Chroma Squad? That's super cool. I'll definitely follow when it goes live.

Anyway, I like the smaller size.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I'll ask you to use its full name, Chroma Squad: Inspired by Saban's Power Rangers™

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

This is me resizing the sprite at about half of the size. It doesn't feel quite as sharp as the raw extract, but the size feels a lot better to me.

This is a bit weird because the initial sprite is a bit distorted, but it is basically a much smaller image resized to 400%. The original sprite would actually just be this big.

By resizing it to exactly half the initial size, you get this without losing sharpness. (I'd probably recommend using this one.)

Make sure to use nearest neighbour when resizing for clean pixel art!

e: With pixel art it's important to only resize the original in even stages of 100%. You'll be fine taking this to double, triple, etc its normal size. But if you resize it to 150%, it will start to look blurry and distorted, which is not nice to look at.

vilkacis fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jul 18, 2021

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Are there any rules for bumping a thread to check on the status of an LP? Like how long the thread is dormant and stuff.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Mraagvpeine posted:

Are there any rules for bumping a thread to check on the status of an LP? Like how long the thread is dormant and stuff.

It's more mildly gauche than outright probation-worthy, increasingly so with the length of time that's passed between the last update and now, but there's no rule against it, no. The worst you're going to get is radio silence from the OP, and maybe some folks going "lol why did you bump this thread?"

A quick PM to the OP would also work just as well, if they have platinum that is.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

It's more mildly gauche than outright probation-worthy, increasingly so with the length of time that's passed between the last update and now, but there's no rule against it, no. The worst you're going to get is radio silence from the OP, and maybe some folks going "lol why did you bump this thread?"

A quick PM to the OP would also work just as well, if they have platinum that is.
On the short end, if it's anything less than a month or so, I'd tell you to just be patient. Even successfully completed LP's often have a several week gap happen during the course of the thread - maybe the LP Curse kills a PC, maybe real life goes nuts, maybe it's just an update that the LP'er just can't figure out how to be entertaining for.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Anecdotally, speaking in my professional capacity as a lapse-prone LPer, I always found it mildly-to-moderately affirming to see people check in to see if my threads were still alive. Labouring the point for multiple posts would probably get irritating pretty quickly, but I wouldn't complain about seeing someone post a hail if a thread is unexpectedly dead for a while, let alone probe for it right off the bat.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I think it might have been a bigger deal back in the day when LP was higher traffic and there was a greater emphasis on cutting down on white noise posting. if slowbeef still lurks this thread maybe he can share more historical LP lore :pray:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I got some old Retsupurae on my recs a bit ago and it's got me watching more of that stuff out of nostalgia for when loving everyone was playing Mario World

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

nine-gear crow posted:

It is a tricky situation, because while some folks appreciate the check-in, and knowing that you were enjoying it, other folks have other crap to deal with, and would prefer to get that sorted rather than hear anything from you. Then you've got the folks in the middle of the road who have just lost interest in doing it, and would prefer that everyone simply forget about it and never mention it again.

At this point, if one has lapsed, I'll just re-read the thread, see if there was anything relevant to leave commentary on, add the comment, and then if they come back to it eventually -- great. If not, there is plenty of other stuff to browse.

I did have one really weird incident where an LP'er got legit angry when I privately asked them about a PS2 region issue they were having (that was making it impossible to continue their LP). I guess they thought I was trying sell them something or tell them what to do. Instead, it was because I had a modded unit that I was giving away, and didn't know if it would work for them. In the end, I just gave it to someone else rather than pursue the subject.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Sally posted:

I think it might have been a bigger deal back in the day when LP was higher traffic and there was a greater emphasis on cutting down on white noise posting.

Weirdly I don't think that was considered an issue - Spirit Armor's Sakura Wars thread got bumped a lot but nobody was actually punished for it, though slowbeef did close the thread a couple of times with a 'OP you can reopen if you have more content' post.

What was (at one point) explicitly punishable was the opposite problem; people just posting 'yay! an update!'.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
I kind of am having the opposite problem - a lot of people popped in at the beginning of my LP to signify interest or nostalgia and now I'm getting maybe 1-2 regular posters in the thread.

Am I allowed to just keep posting even if it turns into a complete ghost town apart from myself?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Jossar posted:

I kind of am having the opposite problem - a lot of people popped in at the beginning of my LP to signify interest or nostalgia and now I'm getting maybe 1-2 regular posters in the thread.

Am I allowed to just keep posting even if it turns into a complete ghost town apart from myself?

That's pretty common.

If you can stand it - sure.

*I'm not a mod, grain of salt etc.

HomestarCanter
Oct 21, 2008

Strong Bad,
you're a horse's twees.

Jossar posted:

:justpost:

I know that I lurk plenty of threads without saying anything.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Fairly few people, in the greater scheme of things, have much to contribute to any given LP. Most threads have a small stable of regular contributors that continue posting after the first wave of check-ins, but these can come and go. It takes some consideration for someone to start a discussion out of nothing, but a lot less to contribute to one that's in progress, but this isn't the same as people not watching.

You get that initial check-in wave because "hey there's a new LP of [game]" is an implicit topic of discussion, and people will often pop up to say they'll be watching, even if they don't go on to say anything else.

If you want more posts, you'll probably have to either court discussion directly by raising topics yourself (leave a comment below, if you will!) or engage with people who are posting already. Like everything else on this dumb earth, the easiest way to get a lot of people posting is to have a lot of people posting already. Otherwise it's just a bunch of work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

nine-gear crow posted:

I decided to take your advice and PM the OP since I'm more worried about them than the LP.