Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Nihilarian posted:

lmao it's +1/-1 damage in almost every other FE
Do Not gently caress With Advantage in this game

The post you quoted was talking about super-effective weapons, like bows against fliers.

Weapon Triangle Advantage is 20% ATK in this game, which is still pretty ridiculous compared to classic Fire Emblem. And it also becomes more and more important at higher levels, since as total stats get higher, 20% ATK becomes a much bigger proportion of your total damage after defense. 20% doesn't sound like a huge number, but it can easily be 4x or more compared to having a disadvantage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

WTA is stronger in Heroes than in most games but 20% isn't really that ridiculous when you factor in accuracy and criticals being removed. What makes it stand out imo is that there are so many less units in a given battle so the difference between picking someone off or having to commit another round of attacks is a huge opportunity cost, and since damage output has practically no variance in this game, you can specifically build your team to really take advantage of that 20%.

Philip Rivers fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Feb 14, 2017

Blackdog420
Sep 10, 2009

born to roam

Reiterpallasch posted:

Jesus Christ, Takumi isn't even the best colorless ranged attacker in the game, let alone the best unit in the game.

Hi, I don't know what game you're playing

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Blackdog420 posted:

The high level game, where Takumi is a solved problem and is merely pretty good.

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello
20% is massive in this game. It would just be respectable if it was (Atk - Def/Res)*1.2 = Damage, but it's not. It's actually (Atk*1.2) - Def/Res= Damage which is a fuckload more damage than 20%.

Blackdog420
Sep 10, 2009

born to roam

Clarste posted:

The high level game, where Takumi is a solved problem and is merely pretty good.

There's nothing but Takumi in high level game. Were you trying to be smug here or something?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Blackdog420 posted:

There's nothing but Takumi in high level game. Were you trying to be smug here or something?

Yeah, he's everywhere, which is why everyone is used to him and knows exactly how to deal with him. He's certainly a strong character, but hardly the backbone of a team. The main reason everyone's using him is because it's easier to draw him when he's a focus character. And the top tier people are replacing him with Kagero, who does basically his job but with some better match-ups. Like, say, against Takumi who's everywhere.

Cosmic Afro
May 23, 2011
After a good 80 worth of Stamina, I FINNALY managed to beat Narcian Normal! Thanks for the help, people that did help!

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

Blackdog420 posted:

takumi is a free kill in lvl 40 advanced ranked arena for me at this point

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Takumi isn't that hard to deal with if you know what you're doing and have someone strong enough to get in his face but as a player you can also kite and position much better than the AI which makes Takumi fantastic on offense

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Basically not enough people running the other colorless options to show people what's up. There are quite a few good ones.

There's plenty of obscure stuff on offense that seems good. Even someone like Nino seems like an unsung hero.

Let me tell you about this Barte I have who is ready whenever armor meta invades. Going to be great.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Blackdog420 posted:

the game where takumi can be completely humiliated by robin, outshot by kagero/setsuna/gordin, obliterated by linde, baited by ryoma or nowi, or kamikazed by pretty much any mage

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Reiterpallasch posted:

the game where takumi can be completely humiliated by robin, outshot by kagero/setsuna/gordin, obliterated by linde, baited by ryoma or nowi, or kamikazed by pretty much any mage

Man I have none of these :saddowns:

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
of note: kagero beats all of those takumi counters except nowi, and has very few bad matchups of her own

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Even my Lucina/Tiki/Oboro/Serra team can beat Takumi and that team isn't even that good.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Nowi is such a house QQ

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

So I had 80-ish orbs, and no red 5*s, so I did a full summon on the focus with Marth in hopes of maybe getting one.

I see the selection of orbs - one blue, two each green and gray, and kinda get disappointed.

One of those greens turns out to be Hector.

...Oops?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Hector is never a mistake.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Yeah, there are a lot of B-tier units that can still counter a high-end team. Something like Oboro/Gwendolyn for the swordlords, Barst to handle Robin/Azura/Takumi, and then you have lots of options for Hector - Selena, Hinata, Stahl, Laslow, etc.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
here's a concrete opinion: the actual best unit in the game, and the only one i can think of which is completely out of line balance-wise, is linde.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

I agree with that, Linde is the only character that consistently wrecks at least one or two people on my team regardless how much I shuffle its makeup:

vvvv I have literally none of those, which probably explains my predicament. :v:

a crisp refreshing Moxie fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Feb 14, 2017

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
bait her with hector, oneshot her with kagero or a super buffed takumi/gordin, try to close with a brave weapon user. that's literally it. she one-rounds 90% of the metagame in perfect safety, 95% with a speed buff or dancer support.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Nino counters Linde, although not as well as Hector.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Reiterpallasch posted:

bait her with hector, oneshot her with kagero or a super buffed takumi/gordin, try to close with a brave weapon user. that's literally it. she one-rounds 90% of the metagame in perfect safety, 95% with a speed buff or dancer support.

Outside of Camilla basically being her counter, she can be checked with units like Sheena. Niles and Linde more or less check each other depending on who jumps who, but if Linde doesn't have +speed from somewhere Niles should generally win. And if you have your own Olivia, she's much easier to hunt down.

Of course, most of that's on paper. It's a good thing she's fairly rare right now, because until we get a better spread of green mages she's wrecking anything that isn't green if they can't get the jump on her.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Reiterpallasch posted:

Henry can do just as well as Robin in this regard as he also gets advantage vs colorless and is actually a very burly unit on his own. Robin probably has the better skillset but my Henry has been no slouch.

fairlight
May 18, 2007

So who are the best defenders, cuz I need to level up and field someone other than Hector.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Linde is incredibly easy to take down, assuming you started at least a few days ago, given how dumb the AI is and her absolutely pathetic Def. Mainly because everyone has access to a dancer now. Just dance any melee unit - even reds work fine - into her face, and then finish with an archer or thief. You don't even need the ranged unit if you're dancing a brave weapon. You can just bait her into stepping into movement range too, but that's more finicky. Now under player control sure, she's an absolute monster.

As for Takumi, for all the complaining it's funny to realize he could have been even nastier. All the unique weapons in the game got special effects mimicking a skill, many of which are extremely good - like Sol Katti's Desperate Attack one. Takumi's Fujin Yumi got Pass, which is complete and utter poo poo in this game and I have literally never found a use for it.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

fairlight posted:

So who are the best defenders, cuz I need to level up and field someone other than Hector.

I imagine something like Abel, Linde/other strong range dps, Takumi/other strong ranged dps, Azura/Olivia, to be quite a difficult team to deal with. Strong units with a lot of movement put a lot of pressure on the opponent and limit their tactical options. The AI is capable of losing with any team, because the game is designed more like an rpg with bloated dumb enemies, but it can pull off interesting things with skills like sing/dance. Not so much with push/pivot/swap skills.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Do I promote Abel, or Robin to 5*?

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

I was real sad never pulling a Takumi but have a 5 star Kagero and I'm glad to hear she's a smash machine to the top because every team I've tried to level her with she just ends up clearing maps alone.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0112 posted:

I imagine something like Abel, Linde/other strong range dps, Takumi/other strong ranged dps, Azura/Olivia, to be quite a difficult team to deal with. Strong units with a lot of movement put a lot of pressure on the opponent and limit their tactical options. The AI is capable of losing with any team, because the game is designed more like an rpg with bloated dumb enemies, but it can pull off interesting things with skills like sing/dance. Not so much with push/pivot/swap skills.

My arena defense team is leo azura fae and maria. Not sure why it works but I had 10 defense wins with 4 of them being 250+ for the max feather reward. My guess it must be azura that makes it hard to beat.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Honestly all you need to get a lot of good defense wins is a well-balanced team capable of dealing with the primary threats and with no armor units (because 4v3 followed by Xv1 isn't usually a good recipe for winning with the AI in control). My arena team on both offense and defense is Lyn, Robin, 4 star Camilla, and Takumi, and I have enough Arena defense wins that I found out it only displays the most recent 10. Incidentally this is one of the reasons I also am a ... vociferous ... defender of both Lyn and Camilla.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.

Stephen9001 posted:

I suggest you level up and upgrade Anna. She actually becomes pretty drat solid with a few upgrades. She's kinda like a green Lyn, (in terms of stats) high attack and speed, low def, decent res.
Word of warning with Anna: her 5* abilities (her legendary axe Noatun an Vantage 3) take :siren: a lot :siren: of SP. Make damned sure you have all of her 4*-and-under skills learned and maybe even a bit of SP to spare before making the jump to 5*.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
What exactly is the use of obstruct exactly?

I just got a 5* Corrin(M) and I'm trying to figure out what to do with him. It's good since I had no red heroes but his stats seem kinda mediocre at level 34. I guess Yato is a good weapon with the +4 speed bonus but he doesn't seem especially good at much right now.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

This might be a dumb question, but are the arena awards awarded at 1AM tonight? Obviously the arena is closed but it looks like everyone on my friends list has gained a tier. I can't find that information about myself and I feel like I should have earned more feathers if they've already been awarded.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

DC Murderverse posted:

This might be a dumb question, but are the arena awards awarded at 1AM tonight? Obviously the arena is closed but it looks like everyone on my friends list has gained a tier. I can't find that information about myself and I feel like I should have earned more feathers if they've already been awarded.

Last week they were awarded a bit early, but there's no guaranteed time as far as I know, besides just before the arena goes live again at the daily reset.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
I was slowly and painfully leveling up my 2* freebie Olivia... And then I rolled the 3* bronze version. Do I merge the silver into the bronze, or the other way around? I'm not sure how the stars versus bronze/silver/gold mechanic works in the ratings.

fairlight
May 18, 2007

deathbot posted:

I was slowly and painfully leveling up my 2* freebie Olivia... And then I rolled the 3* bronze version. Do I merge the silver into the bronze, or the other way around? I'm not sure how the stars versus bronze/silver/gold mechanic works in the ratings.

This comes up like every other page. You only get a bonus if you merge a unit of the same name and star count. So merging a 2* into a 3* doesn't give any stat bonus.

Cosmic Afro
May 23, 2011

fairlight posted:

This comes up like every other page. You only get a bonus if you merge a unit of the same name and star count. So merging a 2* into a 3* doesn't give any stat bonus.

It does give you the SP you earned on the sacrificed unit, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

fairlight posted:

Sorry for being unclear, I'm still waking up. I also mean more that which would be best going for? Do they end up even in the end, or is it more worthwhile to spend feathers on the 2* than the 3*?