Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Give him the 10 crowns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Redistribute the wealth! It’s good for the economy!

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Pay the man. Can’t recall the last time we actually spent money in these books.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

achtungnight posted:

Pay the man. Can’t recall the last time we actually spent money in these books.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

achtungnight posted:

Can’t recall the last time we actually spent money in these books.
Yeah, I feel like Dever had planned to make money more important than it ended up being but just kept including it in the starting equipment out of inertia. Particularly in books where you're going somewhere that absolutely 100% will not have shops (eg. Castle Death). But up to this point it's basically only been books 2, 5 and 6 where money even mattered, really. And by this stage, with all the resources Lone Wolf has at his disposal, it could easily just be a non-issue where you're always assumed to be carrying whatever cash you need.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Tiggum posted:

And by this stage, with all the resources Lone Wolf has at his disposal, it could easily just be a non-issue where you're always assumed to be carrying whatever cash you need.

Now that you mention it, you're the head of the Kai order with an entire loving fortress and a small army of disciples under your command. And I think you're some kind of nobleman now, too?
But you still only have like, 40 gold crowns... Maybe the Kai take a vow of poverty?
OH! Title for the Lone Wolf movie: For a few kika more.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
He probably puts all the money he can't carry in a single belt pouch into rebuilding the monastery or feeding trainees or something.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Nah, Lonewolf has plenty of money. Not only is he the savior of Summerlund and Kai Grandmaster, he’s also the Kai Grand Brewmaster and runs one of the lands most famous and profitable breweries out of the monastery. He just doesn’t like carrying too much coin when he’s out traveling is all.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense

nelson posted:

Nah, Lonewolf has plenty of money. Not only is he the savior of Summerlund and Kai Grandmaster, he’s also the Kai Grand Brewmaster and runs one of the lands most famous and profitable breweries out of the monastery. He just doesn’t like carrying too much coin when he’s out traveling is all.

Let's pay.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Might as well.

The Legacy of Vashna posted:

The fat drunkard can hardly believe his luck when you reach to your Belt Pouch and count out ten Gold Crowns into his grubby hand.

‘May the gods bless y’ boots, sir!’ he cackles, as he stuffs the gleaming crowns into his pocket. ‘If it’s the Crooked Sage you be a’wantin’ to visit, you be needin’ Tavern Lane, o’er there,’ he says, enthusiastically pointing to the street which leads off to the east.

With the drunkard’s gleeful laughter echoing in your ears, you spur Bracer to a canter and enter this foul-smelling street. Clamped against the walls of the surrounding buildings are oil-soaked torches which serve to illuminate the signs of wine shops and taverns. They are crudely painted with emblems—a bloodied battle-axe, a winged horse, a watery sun rising from a broken skull. There is not one which resembles a crooked sage and you are beginning to suspect you have been duped, when suddenly you hear the sound of drunken revelry coming from a two-storey building at the end of the street. Its oaken doors hang open and the vivid orange glare of its roaring hearth spills invitingly into the dank night gloom. Although it has no painted emblem, you sense at once that you have come to the Crooked Sage Inn.

At your approach, a sallow-faced stable boy limps from a wooden hut which is leaning precariously against the side of the tavern wall. For a Gold Crown (erase this from your Action Chart), he takes charge of your horse and shows you to the taproom door.

You enter the open doorway, and the hubbub of laughter and conversation dies momentarily as all eyes turn to stare in your direction. They consider you for a few moments; then the chatter and noise begin anew and the eyes return to other matters. After descending a flight of steps to the sunken floor of the taproom, you make your way through the noisy crowd to the beer-soaked counter. A husky serving wench thuds a pewter tankard down on the bar before you and fills it with frothing ale.

‘First one’s on the ’ouse,’ she says, with a snarl, ‘the rest y’ pays for, understand?’ You nod your reply and, as you sip the watery brew, you take stock of the inn’s villainous clientele. They are not a pretty crowd. The Crooked Sage is a tavern with an ill reputation, even in the brawling turmoil of Helgor’s north quarter. The city guard never patrol here; a weekly donation to the guard captain guarantees that they are always somewhere else. Order, and what passes for law, is kept by Chegga, the owner of the inn, and his two brutish sons—Zhola and Gorgan.

You finish your ale and the serving wench returns to refill your tankard.

‘That’ll be one Gold Crown,’ she says, thrusting out a calloused palm. You place the crown on the bar and, as she goes to pick it up, you take hold of her wrist to prevent her from moving away.

‘Where’s Smudd? Is he here tonight?’ you ask.

‘Over there,’ she growls, pointing to a shadowy alcove at the rear of the taproom. ‘Now let go o’ me or I’ll call Chegga.’

Calmly you release her, take up your ale, and walk slowly towards the place where Smudd is seated. He is in the company of a giggling bar-girl and does not notice that you are standing beside him until you thump your tankard down on his table. The sound startles him and immediately he reaches for his sword.

He has a desperate look about him which reminds you of a cornered rat. If you are to avoid a confrontation, you must do or say something to assuage his fear.

You whisper the words of the Brotherhood Spell Mind Charm and, at once, you see Smudd relaxing under its influence. He removes his hand from his sword and the scowl of fearful suspicion softens to a smile as he lowers himself back into his seat. With a flick of his hand he dismisses the bar-girl. She leaves without protest and as you watch her walk away, he leans across the table and says, ‘How can I help you, stranger?’

‘What do you know about a little hamlet called Vorn?’ you say, quietly.

For a moment the look of suspicion returns to his beady eyes; then he sneers and says, ‘I know it no longer exists, that’s what I know. There’s rumour on the street that it was destroyed by the storms, but there’s more to it than that. More than I care to remember.’

You show him the Black Amulet that President Kadharian gave to you and once more you repeat your question. Now he refuses to answer, fearing that you are one of Kadharian’s agents out to arrest him. He kicks back his chair and tries to stand, but he does not make it.

He is halfway out of his seat when suddenly his chest is transfixed by a crystal arrow. Wide-eyed with pain and shocked surprise, he crashes to the floor amid a spray of blood and spilt ale.

A wave of panic sweeps through the crowded inn. Women shriek hysterically and gruff voices shout in anger and confusion, demanding Smudd’s killer be found. You back away from the alcove and, as you turn towards the counter, you catch a glimpse of a figure running along the gallery which overlooks the taproom floor. He is clad from head to toe in a close-fitting black tunic and he is carrying a bow. You watch helplessly as he disappears through a door which leads off the gallery.

Shall we climb the stairs and chase the assassin or leave the tavern via the front door?

As well as money not being of much use in these books, the Gold Crown is an absurdly poorly thought-out currency. One Gold Crown can buy you anything from a single beer to a night's stay in an inn including a full meal. If ten Gold Crowns is ten beers it's a generous but not insane amount to give a beggar, but if it's ten nights in a hotel then it's a ridiculous amount. But it's both somehow.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

I always thought of it as the bar lady gouging the poo poo out of tourists.

To the chase!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Leraika posted:

I always thought of it as the bar lady gouging the poo poo out of tourists.
Problem is, there is no smaller currency in most places. The Lune is slightly saner at a quarter the value and the Kika better still at a tenth, but most countries only use the Gold Crown so there's no way to charge anyone less than 1GC for anything, except by selling in bulk.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Tiggum posted:

Problem is, there is no smaller currency in most places. The Lune is slightly saner at a quarter the value and the Kika better still at a tenth, but most countries only use the Gold Crown

I thought there was another currency that was a tenth of the GC, but I guess I was wrong.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Wolf vs Ninja. Go get him.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Whaddayamean "You watch helplessly", Dever? We're a super-psychic-magic-God-powered ninja ourselves! Get after that assassin!

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Pursue the assassin!

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Runcible Cat posted:

Whaddayamean "You watch helplessly", Dever? We're a super-psychic-magic-God-powered ninja ourselves! Get after that assassin!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

You race up the staircase and kick open the door through which the black-clad archer disappeared. Inside, you discover a group of gamblers standing at a circular table with playing cards in their hands. They have all risen from their seats to look at something on the far side of the room. When you follow their gaze, you see it is the archer; he is climbing through an open window onto a balcony outside.
What say we give this archer a taste of his own medicine? Shall we fire an arrow or try to grab him and pull him back inside?

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

We want to extract information from him, and since we don’t have any dead-raising spells we’d better grab him.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug
Shoot first ask questions later.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

I feel like we'd auto-miss if we shot him, so grab

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Leraika posted:

I feel like we'd auto-miss if we shot him, so grab

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Shoot him! We’re honestly a good enough shot that we can keep him alive.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

We have now Grand Weaponmastery with the bow, so it's time to use it in a real combat situation.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Guy Fawkes posted:

We have now Grand Weaponmastery with the bow, so it's time to use it in a real combat situation.
I'm not sure firing at someone who's running away counts as "combat".

Swiftly you unshoulder your Bow, draw an Arrow from your Quiver, and take hurried aim as the man in black leaps from the window ledge onto the balcony.

We roll: 4 + 3 (Silver Bow) + 5 (G. Weaponmastery) = 12.

The tip of your Arrow clips the man’s calf and you hear him yelp with pain. But the wound is superficial and it does not prevent him from making his escape out onto the balcony.

With weapon in hand, you climb out of the window. You are expecting the archer to attack you the moment you appear but the balcony is deserted: he has disappeared. Then your keen eyes notice fresh bloodstains on the balcony rail and you catch a glimpse of movement on the roof of the building opposite. It is the archer. Despite his wounded leg he has leapt across the narrow street and is now making his escape across the rooftops of the north quarter.

With the grace of a panther you spring onto the balcony rail and leap across to the roof opposite. Without breaking your stride, you set off after the fleeing assassin and pursue him to the edge of a flat-topped warehouse at the end of Tavern Lane. Here a plank of wood has been laid down to span the gap of fifty feet to the rooftop opposite. The man limps across the plank, and then kicks it away to prevent you from following him.
Do we try to jump across or give up and go back inside?

Quiver: 5/6 Arrows remaining.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

in for a penny, in for a pound.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Jump like an action movie superstar!

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I vote for chasing this guy through as many choices as it takes to catch him. And catching him better be possible, Dever! :argh:

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

achtungnight posted:

I vote for chasing this guy through as many choices as it takes to catch him. And catching him better be possible, Dever! :argh:

drat right! No Kai Lord is going to be out-ninja'd by a ninja!

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Pillbug
Continue chasing him.

I am imagining Lone Wolf like old Ezio in AssCreed Revelations right now, too old for this poo poo but drat it to let this fucker get away.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

achtungnight posted:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

You sheathe your weapon, run to the edge of the warehouse, and launch yourself towards the roof of the building opposite.

We roll: 1 + 3 (G. Huntmastery) = 4.

You make it across the street to the roof, but you twist your ankle on landing and crash heavily against the corrugated tiles: lose 2 ENDURANCE points.

Painfully you limp to your feet and watch as the assassin makes good his escape. For a moment he halts beside a tall chimney stack and turns to look in your direction. Then three other shadowy figures emerge from behind the stack and stand at his shoulder. They stare at you silently for a few moments before turning and melting away into the night.

Having decided it would be pointless to try to follow them, you make your way down from the roof and retrace your steps back to the stables of the Crooked Sage in order to collect your horse.

Endurance: 37/39.

As soon as the stable boy has saddled Bracer, you mount up and leave the inn at a gallop. You decide to forgo sleep this night and begin your journey north without further delay. Shortly past midnight, you pass through Helgor’s ruined East Gate and head off along a rutted track that winds a northeasterly route towards the River Storn. The moon is full and this rough trail is illuminated clearly by its cold, ashen light. Far to the north an electrical storm is brewing. Flashes of forked lightning light up the horizon and the sky, and the hills echo to the rumble of distant thunder.

You have covered little more than ten miles when the trail gradually peters out. You continue on across soft heathland for a few miles further until you find another trail, muddier than the first. Fresh tracks are imprinted in its surface, leading off towards the northeast. Curious as to their origin, you dismount and take a closer look.

Curing: +1 EP (38/39).
We roll: 3 + 2 (G. Huntmastery) = 5.

Your advanced Kai skills and the mud make it easy for you to tell that these tracks were made by humans travelling on foot. You count eight different pairs of footprints: six made by sandalled feet, and two by heavy hobnailed boots. The tracks are two days old and they are all heading in a northeasterly direction.

Curing: +1 EP (39/39).

The muddy track climbs to the peak of a ridge and then makes a twisting descent to a copse of sickly-looking trees clustered at the base of a gully. You have noticed that the night wind has gradually been getting warmer and, as you reach the copse, a few drops of rain begin to spatter the shoulders of your cloak. Within minutes this gentle shower is transformed into a torrential downpour. Suddenly, thunder booms overhead and forks of white lightning streak down to explode among the surrounding trees, setting them on fire. Fearful of the danger, you peer through the wall of rain in search of safer shelter.

Aided by your Kai senses, you detect two possible refuges from the storm: an overhanging ledge of rock, and the entrance to an old mine shaft.
Shall we shelter under the ledge or in the mine?

It's impossible to catch the assassin, but if you're lucky you can pick up a Special Item that may be relevant later.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Pillbug

Tiggum posted:

Shall we shelter under the ledge or in the mine?

It's impossible to catch the assassin, but if you're lucky you can pick up a Special Item that may be relevant later.

Dammit Dever. :argh:

I don't think we had many good expirences with mines, let's hide under the ledge.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
I love exploring old mines.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Maugrim posted:

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Dever:argh:!

Hide in the old mine. Less chance of collapse statistically.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Maugrim posted:

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

I have a sfot spot for the classics: mines!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

nelson posted:

You urge Bracer up a treacherously slick path that leads to the entrance. Without once faltering on the difficult ascent, he carries you to the top of the path where two rusty wagon rails disappear into the mine shaft’s shadowy maw. You approach, and the instant you are out of the rain, your keen Sixth Sense alerts you to the fact that you are not the only ones seeking shelter here. The scent of greasy fur and the glint of two grey-green eyes in the gloom tell you that you have stumbled upon the lair of a mountain wolf.

The wolf growls menacingly and Bracer backs away in fright. Quickly you prepare to use your Grand Master skill of Animal Mastery to calm this beast before its hunger or its fear make it attack.

You utilize your powers to subdue the growling wolf and immediately he becomes calm and docile. Within a few minutes you exact a transformation that turns this creature from a wild animal into a loyal and friendly ally.

While you settle down to rest, the wolf watches over you and Bracer, attentively standing guard at the entrance to the mine shaft.

The first light of dawn brings with it a dramatic change in the weather. The storm has ended and the sky is now bright and clear, but on the distant horizon you can still see flashes of lightning and hear thunder rumbling in the mountains.

You leave the old mine and urge Bracer down the muddy slope towards the track, most of which you discover has been washed away by last night’s storm. The damp earth is steaming in the unusual heat of the morning sun and the air crackles with an eerie residue of static electricity.

You continue your ride through the hills without stopping until, shortly after midday, you come to a derelict hovel which stands at the edge of a marshy peat bog. Your Kai senses inform you that there is somebody inside and, spurred on by curiosity, you resolve to find out who they are. You dismount and leave Bracer to feed on the marsh grass while you go forward to investigate the hovel on foot. You are twenty feet away from its rotting wooden door when suddenly it creaks open and you see an old man standing in the doorway. He is smiling at you.

Immediately you recognize the man: he is Gwynian, the Sage of Varetta.

‘Welcome, Grand Master. It has been a long time since we last met. Come, step into my humble abode. The time has come once more for us to discuss the future.’

Gwynian leads you into the derelict hovel and offers you a seat next to an ancient table carved from stone. Then he lowers himself carefully into a chair opposite and looks deeply into your eyes.

‘Lord Rimoah sent word to me in Varetta that you were on your way here,’ he says, taking a parchment envelope from the folds of his robes. ‘I, and my fellow sages, have been observing the skies in this region for many months, and we are sure that an event of great and terrible importance is close at hand. The stars and the storms portend that an evil power is soon to appear on Magnamund.’

‘Could it be the rising of Vashna?’ you ask, daring to voice your fear.

‘Yes, we believe it to be Vashna. Unless you can prevent it, Lone Wolf, the Darklord and his army will rise from the Maakengorge.’

You remove the Amulet from your pocket and hand it to the old sage.

‘President Kadharian gave me this. It was found on the shore of Lake Vorndarol, near the ruins of Vorn, by a rogue who went by the name of Smudd. I tracked him to a tavern in Helgor but he was assassinated before he could tell me anything more about it. Can you?’

Gwynian holds the Amulet close to his myopic eyes and examines the engravings with great care.

After a short while he says, ‘It is a seal. It’s an amulet of fealty worn by the Acolytes of Vashna,’ he says sadly. ‘It would seem to confirm our fears. I have seen amulets such as this before, but none crafted from such a metal. This is a metal not of this world.’

Gwynian hands back the Amulet and you return it to your pocket.

Gwynian opens his envelope and removes a time-yellowed parchment which he spreads upon the smooth stone table: it is a map of northern Magador. He points to Lake Vorndarol and tells you that the eye of the strange storms which have swept this region has been calculated to be within a few miles of the lake’s eastern shore, close to the Maakengorge. The hamlet of Vorn, or what is left of it, is located on the southern shore, near to a tributary of the River Storn. He counsels you to be on your guard at all times and, to help you succeed, he gives you an amulet of his own.

‘Wear this, Grand Master,’ he says as he places the corded platinum disc around your neck. ‘It will keep you safe from some of the perils that may await you at the Maakengorge.’

You thank Gwynian for his help and he waves farewell as you leave the hovel and walk back to your horse.

‘Good luck, Grand Master,’ he calls out. ‘My hopes and my prayers go with you.’

By nightfall you have covered twenty miles of rough terrain and have been assailed by extremes of weather. From a desert-like heat at mid-afternoon the temperature plummeted, causing a sub-zero squall which left you and Bracer blanketed with frost. But now, as darkness draws its cloak over this troubled land, the temperature quickly rises. This heralds the return of the rain, and the thunder and the violent lightning strikes.

Helped by your tracking skills, you discover a shallow cave where you can take shelter from the storm. You are tired and hungry, and unless you possess Grand Huntmastery, you must now eat a Meal or lose 3 ENDURANCE points.

Your spine tingles with the presentiment of danger. Your senses warn that something evil is abroad this night and you are fearful that it will come upon you while you are sleeping. With this worry foremost in your mind, you stand at the mouth of the cave and use your Animal Mastery to summon a woodland creature. A few minutes pass; then you sight a wildcat and its cub emerging from the pines. They have answered your call and obediently they submit to your will. You command them to guard the cave mouth; then you settle down to rest, confident in the knowledge that they will wake you at the first sign of trouble.

You are awoken in the middle of the night by the she-cat’s nervous growl. At first you think that a new day must already have dawned for the cave is awash with bright light, but when you look out at the surrounding landscape you see that the light has a far more sinister origin.

The sky is alive with hordes of glowing, wraith-like phantoms. They swoop down from the roiling storm clouds and skim the treetops, howling and screeching like angry banshees. A trio of these ghastly apparitions passes within a few yards of the cave mouth and startle the wild cat and her mewing cub. Terrified, they flee the cave and disappear into the pines.

The three phantoms swoop down into the trees as if to pursue the fleeing cats, but then they break off their attack and come speeding once more towards the mouth of the cave.

You sense a hostile psychic presence about them, an evil mind-energy which is growing stronger as they draw nearer. You use your Magnakai skills to erect a Psi-screen to protect your mind, but they launch a sudden, massive bolt of their energy which buckles your hasty shield: lose 3 ENDURANCE points.

Endurance: 36/39.

The ferocity of their attack leaves you sprawled on the floor of the cave, holding your aching head with both hands. Having encountered unexpected resistance, the phantoms veer away and vanish into the clouds. They have gone, but not for long. Within minutes they return with seven more of their ghostly brothers in train.

Curing: +1 EP (37/39).

You draw your weapon and brace yourself as the phantoms swoop down upon you like hungry vultures descending on a corpse.

Vortexi: COMBAT SKILL 46 ENDURANCE 40

For every level of Kai rank you have attained above that of Kai Grand Guardian, you may add 2 to your COMBAT SKILL for the duration of this fight. If you possess the Sommerswerd, restore 5 points to your ENDURANCE score.
Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 51 ENDURANCE 39
Vortexi: COMBAT SKILL 46 ENDURANCE 40
Combat Ratio: 5

We roll: 8
Vortexi: COMBAT SKILL 46 ENDURANCE 25

We roll: 9
Vortexi: COMBAT SKILL 46 ENDURANCE 8

We roll: 5
Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 51 ENDURANCE 37
Vortexi: COMBAT SKILL 46 ENDURANCE 0

You have destroyed all of the ghostly creatures that were attacking you, but you are mindful that there are still hundreds of these malevolent spirits circling the area. You stand with your horse at the rear of the shallow cave, your weapon ready in hand, and pray to Kai and Ishir to keep you both safely hidden. Gleefully, the Vortexi ride the raging storm for more than an hour until eventually it dies and they slowly disappear.

An uneasy calm descends upon the land. You sense that the danger has passed and try to get some rest, but the recent memory of your ghastly confrontation is still vivid in your mind which makes it impossible for you to sleep: lose 3 ENDURANCE points.

Furthermore, unless you possess Grand Huntmastery, you must now eat a Meal or lose an additional 3 ENDURANCE points.

Endurance: 34/39.

You leave the cave at first light and continue your lonely trek towards Lake Vorndarol. Before dawn, an icy wind swept down from the north and spread a thick blanket of frost on the trail, freezing the mud beneath. To your surprise, the going is easier and swifter than expected and, by noon, you find you have covered more than thirty miles.

During your ride you have watched the land slowly changing. The trail is now steeper and granite outcroppings have begun to appear, tinged with moss and interspersed with pine trees and grey-green underbrush. You are approaching an area littered with huge granite boulders when suddenly your Magnakai Pathsmanship skills alert you to danger; you sense there is an ambush ahead.

Curing: +1 EP (35/39).
We roll: 4.

Hurriedly you leave the trail, steering Bracer through the undergrowth towards the cover of a dense pine copse. Here, you quickly dismount and tie his reins to a tree before going forward to see what you can find.

You soon discover that a gang of brigands are lying in ambush, well hidden among the boulders that line both sides of the trail. Your Kai hunting skills enable you to circle around and get behind them without being seen and, from a high vantage point among the boulders, you observe their leader and three of his henchmen hiding behind the bough of a fallen tree.

Curing: +1 EP (36/39).
Shall we fire an arrow at the leader, use Kai-alchemy to cast Mind Charm on him, or wait and observe them a little longer?