Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Dirty posted:

People claiming "X system is spaghetti code" are not basing that on source code analyses (none of which i can find) from a source leak that happened after they started saying that.

My point is: people are repeating things that they don't really have a basis for. Sure, the source code was leaked, but that doesn't mean your average pubbie complaining about the code base has any basis for it other than they saw another pubbie saying the same thing and repeating it. I doubt they or anyone they know or interacted with has downloaded and analyzed the 40GB of it.

If any kind of analysis exists I'd like to see it though, it would be pretty interesting. If the state of the code is such common knowledge, there must be one out there. Otherwise, again, where is this coming from?

This is almost embarrassing to read. Have you actually played STO or followed any of the news over the past decade?

Heck buy archives on SA and go read back through every single STO thread on these forums since launch. You'll have everything you asked for. I doubt someone else is going to compile it for you because you couldn't be bothered to look any of it up and would rather argue with people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

it's amazing STO works at all really

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

As a reminder this was the game where for the longest time you could turn the UI off to triple your FPS.

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

Ceci n'est pas un fabricant de pates

DancingShade posted:

This is almost embarrassing to read. Have you actually played STO or followed any of the news over the past decade?

Heck buy archives on SA and go read back through every single STO thread on these forums since launch. You'll have everything you asked for.
The one place I didn't look was in old STO threads on SA, it didn't strike me as a good first hand source and it still doesn't. I expect I'd find lots of people complaining about bugs or systems they don't like or downtime, which isn't really what I'm talking about.

quote:

I doubt someone else is going to compile it for you because you couldn't be bothered to look any of it up and would rather argue with people.
I haven't asked anyone to compile anything for me. I have tried to look it up, as I've said in the post you quoted. I would not rather argue. Back off.

I'm basically asking why people have these opinions, and so far the the answer is "I heard it somewhere". I'm wondering what the source is, and how closely it matches what has become received wisdom.

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

Asimo posted:

As a reminder this was the game where for the longest time you could turn the UI off to triple your FPS.

Just to be incredibly clear: I'm not saying anything about how many bugs or performance issues this game has. Not my point at all.

Teron D Amun
Oct 9, 2010

Cyrano4747 posted:

For all we know overhauling the admiralty system could gently caress with accounts, give everyone free zen ships, or make phasers shoot tribbles.

I am now intrigued by these last two options and want them to overwork the admiralty system :v:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Being overworked and underresourced doesn't make you immune to being lazy. They're not mutually exclusive, and in many cases being able to see how completely turbo-hosed you are makes people lazier because you're not going to be any MORE hosed if you half rear end it since you were doomed from the start.

Jxforema
Sep 23, 2005
long live the Space Pope
What’s the warp core of choice these days? Looking to run competitive shields and engines with the colony deflector, should I go with either set or something different?

bij
Feb 24, 2007

From the Fleet Sphere:

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah competitive engine/shield, spire core, colony deflector are the go-to meta "set" for generic DPS these days. Scihole builds do different setups (I think generally using the bajor deflector?) but I haven't done a build like that in ages.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !

Coq au Nandos posted:

Similar cases, all off the top of my head:

Cross game chat
External chat client support
Doffing (arguably)
The OSX client

Don't forget the web page we could log into to view our own characters/ships and spy on other peoples characters/ships by changing the URL slightly. IIRC is was called Gateway or something ? I remember it being a source of "Why does this person have 4 torpedoes slotted with Cannon skills on the BOFFs ?" type :cripes: content.

Teron D Amun
Oct 9, 2010

Asimo posted:

Yeah competitive engine/shield, spire core, colony deflector are the go-to meta "set" for generic DPS these days.

iirc that changed to the Discovery set warp core+shield nowadays, the warp core has +x% all damage per sub-system with 75 or more power and that is easy to achieve with Aux2Bat spam and the Disc shield has +x% shield damage based on shield system power

Teron D Amun fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Mar 12, 2020

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

The Disco set 2pc is actually useful unlike a lot of them (it's hull regen, whereas the Comp 2pc is a boring little skills boost), so yes, the "meta" now for most ships is the Discovery shield and warp core, Competitive engine, and Colony deflector. There's nothing wrong with the Spire cores, though. I'm sure a lot of people are still using the Iconian sets they bought three years ago.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Dirty posted:

Just to be incredibly clear: I'm not saying anything about how many bugs or performance issues this game has. Not my point at all.

Why are you in here acting like this?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I still run the Iconian 4-piece because that was the last time I cared enough to think about changing stuff. I'll pew-pew these days but I can't be bothered figuring out a new gear build, it works well enough.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Which deflector/what stats should I look for on a colony deflector?

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Teron D Amun posted:

iirc that changed to the Discovery set warp core+shield nowadays, the warp core has +x% all damage per sub-system with 75 or more power and that is easy to achieve with Aux2Bat spam and the Disc shield has +x% shield damage based on shield system power
See, this is how out of date I am with meta stuff. At the same time a few percent here and there doesn't really matter. :toot:

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

hakimashou posted:

Why are you in here acting like this?

I really wasn't expecting it to be particularly controversial, but I can see that the new avatar means someone got upset, so let's just move on.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

As far as bad coding practices go, would you accept that they originally implemented weapons by making a separate item for every single combinatorial option of damage/weapontype/level/prefixes/suffixes

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

Tunicate posted:

As far as bad coding practices go, would you accept that they originally implemented weapons by making a separate item for every single combinatorial option of damage/weapontype/level/prefixes/suffixes

Sure. I don't have enough information to call it bad coding practice. It's likely it was a limitation they had to manage, and they would probably have done it with an auto-generated list, I dunno. You gotta do what you gotta do.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

The Spire warp core has the bonus per subsystem over 75 [AMP] mod and better stats than the Disco one but it really doesn't make a huge difference. The Spire core is way cheaper to upgrade and acquire and you run the Competitive bits for the bonus crit on the shield and tac cooldown on the engines rather than the 2 piece.

As for Colony deflectors you want Elite Fleet Intervention Protomatter Deflector Array Mk XII with whatever flavor of mod you like best. You can reroll them for hull bonuses on non-sciency ships.

For scihole space magic it's best to rock the Bajor deflector rolled with EPG OR the Colony intervention for more crit along with the Temporal Engines, Temporal Deflector, and pretty much any shield you want. Temporal or Iconian both work.

bij fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Mar 13, 2020

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

MikeJF posted:

I still run the Iconian 4-piece because that was the last time I cared enough to think about changing stuff. I'll pew-pew these days but I can't be bothered figuring out a new gear build, it works well enough.

Same. If there are new and better shield sets I'll probably go for those though since space barbie is why we play.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Potential BFF posted:

The Spire warp core has the bonus per subsystem over 75 [AMP] mod and better stats than the Disco one but it really doesn't make a huge difference. The Spire core is way cheaper to upgrade and acquire and you run the Competitive bits for the bonus crit on the shield and tac cooldown on the engines rather than the 2 piece.

As for Colony deflectors you want Elite Fleet Intervention Protomatter Deflector Array Mk XII with whatever flavor of mod you like best. You can reroll them for hull bonuses on non-sciency ships.

For scihole space magic it's best to rock the Bajor deflector rolled with EPG OR the Colony intervention for more crit along with the Temporal Engines, Temporal Deflector, and pretty much any shield you want. Temporal or Iconian both work.

This is super helpful! I appreciate it.

Everybody says, colony console or colony deflector or spire core, but there's like 15 variations each and, as a noob, thats been something I have wanted to ask about for a minute.

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010

Potential BFF posted:

A popular option for the shield on science ships is the crystal shield, which reduces the need for tactical team.

Rx King
Mar 4, 2003

Won a couple of ships today and got this.

[8:11] [Tell] Nimah.@m.b: you waste alot of real money on this dont you?

Didn't even get a chance to respond since he blocked me immediately lol.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Rx King posted:

Won a couple of ships today and got this.

[8:11] [Tell] Nimah.@m.b: you waste alot of real money on this dont you?

Didn't even get a chance to respond since he blocked me immediately lol.

These are the voyages of the USS Paypal.

Rx King
Mar 4, 2003

DancingShade posted:

These are the voyages of the USS Paypal.

I haven't spent money in 2 months and it was for a name change. I just flip poo poo on the exchange for profit. It's literally the only thing that's fun for me in the game.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Rx King posted:

I haven't spent money in 2 months and it was for a name change. I just flip poo poo on the exchange for profit. It's literally the only thing that's fun for me in the game.

That wasn't meant to be a dig at you or anything. Naming your ships something innocent yet obnoxious (ie not strictly reportable) is a time honored tradition.

Other good names are USS Just One Key or USS First Time. For lockbox ships rather than lobi though.

Or you can name them after other franchises they might resemble, like calling your annorax dreadnought the Babylon 5.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Mar 15, 2020

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

DancingShade posted:

Or you can name them after other franchises they might resemble, like calling your annorax dreadnought the Babylon 5.

My favorite captain/ship combo was around the time the game launched, the Captain Luke Skywalker of the USS Superior Fiction.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Soviet Commubot posted:

My favorite captain/ship combo was around the time the game launched, the Captain Luke Skywalker of the USS Superior Fiction.

Oh that's nice.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
Hey, are you following the Let's Play of Star Trek Online? We're halfway through Delta Rising, and the Vaadwuar just blew up our ship.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3877310&pagenumber=65#post503311672

Come and vote on the next ship to feature in the LP, or catch up if you haven't been reading it. This is the first proper endgame ship vote of the LP, and I'm planning to show off some of the build advice that used to appear in the Wesley Wiki, so if you'd like to read or even make suggestions on that front, you're more than welcome.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Coq au Nandos posted:

Hey, are you following the Let's Play of Star Trek Online? We're halfway through Delta Rising, and the Vaadwuar just blew up our ship.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3877310&pagenumber=65#post503311672

Come and vote on the next ship to feature in the LP, or catch up if you haven't been reading it. This is the first proper endgame ship vote of the LP, and I'm planning to show off some of the build advice that used to appear in the Wesley Wiki, so if you'd like to read or even make suggestions on that front, you're more than welcome.

Voted for the ody, hope I understood the rules properly. If not then I apologize.

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan

MikeJF posted:

People who've left cryptic have said it's hosed, many times. It was hosed from the start - Perpetual Entertainment screwed around for years and did nothing and eventually the licence was pulled and given to Cryptic on the condition that they get a functional star trek MMO out by the original announced release date, which meant they had to crash to to develop Star Trek Online in eighteen months, an insane schedule for developing an MMO. They didn't get anything from perpetual, and they pulled off a miracle by hacking up the champions online engine and somehow shoving a space game into it, but the all the game systems design was practically done off the cuff because they didn't have time to actually plan.

Remember when we could re-color our phasers with console commands?

Lordshmee fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Mar 16, 2020

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Lordshmee posted:

Remember when we could re-color our phasers with console commands?

/powerhue was far too good and pure for this game

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Remember that spaceship combat is just a ship-shaped character model puttering around with a heavily modified always-on flight power from ChampO

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Asimo posted:

Remember that spaceship combat is just a ship-shaped character model puttering around with a heavily modified always-on flight power from ChampO

That's kind of adorable, and likely why we're able to change cosmetic options and kitbash as well.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Error 404 posted:

That's kind of adorable, and likely why we're able to change cosmetic options and kitbash as well.
It's also why the game used to occasionally bug out and you'd be a person-sized ship flying around on ground maps.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

g0del posted:

It's also why the game used to occasionally bug out and you'd be a person-sized ship flying around on ground maps.

Owns

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

g0del posted:

It occurs to me now it's outrageous the DS9 expansion didn't do a mission based on the shrunken runabout episode of DS9.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

MikeJF posted:

It occurs to me now it's outrageous the DS9 expansion didn't do a mission based on the shrunken runabout episode of DS9.

“One Little Ship” I think? That episode is adorable in a Fantastic Voyage throwback sort of way.

(Movie partly written by TOS vet Jerome Bixby apparently!)