Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

All it took was Rusty Cuyler breaking free of his father and moving to Elberton

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

:siren: AFTERMATH THREAD :siren:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3990479

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Kids will still want to play in the NFL and big programs will still give them the best shot at that.

I mean the definition of big program can change over the years and we don't know how this will play out.

But there's a lot of hysterical whining about the NIL stuff from guys who I'm not convinced will be significantly hurt.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Fluffdaddy posted:

Kirby gonna win a lot of Chips at Alabama after Saban retires

"I'm off to kill Dabo Swinney."

"To make sure that Kirby succeeds Saban, smart"

"To what?"

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Kids will still want to play in the NFL and big programs will still give them the best shot at that.

A much larger chunk of these schools have the money to fund these contracts then the small number of dominant schools that currently exist. These million dollar contracts are going to look like peanuts in a few years. College kids are going to think about getting paid first in college more so than rolling the dice on nfl money except for the most elite talent. And besides, if you can buy the best QB in the country, talent will follow.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Sickening posted:

A much larger chunk of these schools have the money to fund these contracts then the small number of dominant schools that currently exist. These million dollar contracts are going to look like peanuts in a few years. College kids are going to think about getting paid first in college more so than rolling the dice on nfl money except for the most elite talent. And besides, if you can buy the best QB in the country, talent will follow.

The dominant programs can buy those dudes and also argue that they can get them national exposure, a chance to play for titles, and drafted. I think people really overestimate how much this will change things. Most elite talent still wants to win games and there’s still going to be questions of how a kid fits with a particular coach and scheme. I think NIL will be less important to the competitive landscape than changes to the transfer rules.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
Omg gently caress the gently caress off herbie

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

GD_American posted:

"I'm off to kill Dabo Swinney."

"To make sure that Kirby succeeds Saban, smart"

"To what?"

I will quit college football if Dabo comes to Alabama. The combination is just too much even for a diehard like me

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Yeah it’s kind of naive to say “well NIL means that money can translate directly to acquiring talent now!”, as if that wasn’t already the case. Some programs will be better than others at turning money into players in the NIL era, but it’s probably a good bet that it will be a lot of the same programs who were good at it in the pre-NIL era. This concludes my TED talk.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

would they done lost If his name was sick naban?

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

General Dog posted:

Yeah it’s kind of naive to say “well NIL means that money can translate directly to acquiring talent now!”, as if that wasn’t already the case. Some programs will be better than others at turning money into players in the NIL era, but it’s probably a good bet that it will be a lot of the same programs who were good at it in the pre-NIL era. This concludes my TED talk.

TAMU recruiting classes gonna be pure oil money

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

LeeMajors posted:

Top five classes until a barrel hits $45

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

That NIL money got to come from somewhere.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
Someone give kirby a distraction so he'll calm down for a minute

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

LeeMajors posted:

It would be pretty funny if SMU became the next G5 darling. I mean they're pretty good already again, but now they can publicly make it rain.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Grittybeard posted:

It would be pretty funny if SMU became the next G5 darling. I mean they're pretty good already again, but now they can publicly make it rain.

It'd be really funny if Rice's alumni suddenly gave a poo poo about football and they started dropping real money on NIL.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Penisaurus Sex posted:

It'd be really funny if ivy league alumni suddenly gave a poo poo about football and they started dropping billionaire money on NIL.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Penisaurus Sex posted:

It'd be really funny if Rice's alumni suddenly gave a poo poo about football and they started dropping real money on NIL.

Harvard gonna use its quadrillion dollar endowment to bring the Ivy League back to glory.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Lol how did you beat me

The 2030 Jeff Bezos College National Championship Brought to You By Pepsi: Harvard vs Princeton

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.

General Dog posted:

Random schools you never heard of aren’t gonna suddenly be good but now for example USC and Miami can set up a number target and an LLC and not worry about big city newspaper reporters and that is going to make a difference.

Texas and Texas A&M are also gonna trend up a bit as we are already seeing.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Bring Harbaugh back to Stanford and let him ride that Google money juggernaut to the promised land. Who needs crimson, roll Cardinal!

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

I think it's more likely some mode of regulation will reign it in to some degree, or at least normalize the public-facing NIL poo poo and then bagman stuff will still give some schools advantages over the others. We are just in the frontier days at the moment.

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.

LeeMajors posted:

I think it's more likely some mode of regulation will reign it in to some degree, or at least normalize the public-facing NIL poo poo and then bagman stuff will still give some schools advantages over the others. We are just in the frontier days at the moment.

I don’t know what will happen but I would rather see an open crazy market than a weird system of shadow payments with selective rules enforcement on when punishments get handed out.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Lasagna Pilot posted:

I don’t know what will happen but I would rather see an open crazy market than a weird system of shadow payments with selective rules enforcement on when punishments get handed out.

I'm not saying its good or bad, but whenever there isn't a full-bore pay to play with legal contracts there will be some funny loving business going on.

Right now, it's pretty wild. I don't give a poo poo. I'm just glad the kids are getting paid to risk their lives playing football instead of doing it for 'free' :wink:

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Lasagna Pilot posted:

Random schools you never heard of aren’t gonna suddenly be good but now for example USC and Miami can set up a number target and an LLC and not worry about big city newspaper reporters and that is going to make a difference.

Texas and Texas A&M are also gonna trend up a bit as we are already seeing.

Those schools could already be good if they had good coaches and institutional support. They don’t and NIL won’t change that.

USCs problem isn’t that it’s not an attractive enough destination to get good recruits it’s that their coach sucked and their athletic department was rudderless.

Miami’s is that the administration hated football. Texas is that they want a coach who will make players sing the racist song and people with money have too much control over the program, a problem that NIL definitely won’t help. Aggie has recruited well since Sumlin and still don’t have any hardware to show for it.

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Those schools could already be good if they had good coaches and institutional support. They don’t and NIL won’t change that.

USCs problem isn’t that it’s not an attractive enough destination to get good recruits it’s that their coach sucked and their athletic department was rudderless.

Miami’s is that the administration hated football. Texas is that they want a coach who will make players sing the racist song and people with money have too much control over the program, a problem that NIL definitely won’t help. Aggie has recruited well since Sumlin and still don’t have any hardware to show for it.

The difference between regular aTm recruiting well and what aTm just did buying the #1 class is as big as the difference between Richt and Smart recruiting. Their relative war chest is more under the new conditions because some people are willing to drop more $ with real contracts in play.

Miami didn’t use to have support but they do now, part of that is Mario’s personal connections and part of that is they have alumni that will contribute more in a NIL situation than in a street agent bag situation.

We will have to wait and see re:USC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

Fluffdaddy posted:

Kirby gonna win a lot of Chips at Alabama after Saban retires

i can’t imagine the amount of money it would take to pull him away from his alma mater if he stays successful