Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

unattended spaghetti posted:

This game is so good for letting people unnecessarily complicate poo poo I swear lol. Somehow I missed the blunt damage thing. Grabbed Gale, and used witch bolt. The only time I will ever probably use that awful spell.

Witch bolt is great at low levels for enemies that go invisible (even if you have see invisibility). It not only remains attached but will indicate exactly where they are.

Also the turrets can be deactivated by Susurra blossoms, just run up next to them and drop one.

Or do what I did and use Invisibility plus a lot of dashing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Shocking Grasp is the superior low level lighting spell, except in the specific case where it would leave you running across open ground, further than standard movement distance, to punch an angry laser turret.

Those things are also why you hang into some hammers even if Karlach already had the Returning Pike

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

One thing I just realized is that you can switch character control while you're in a long rest cutscene. In particular, I currently have a cutscene with Sceleritas Fel lined up (specifically, the one after letting Isabel die), and his NPC is physically present in camp. My PC can't interact with this NPC during the cutscene and all my party members are, well, asleep. Anyone got any bright ideas for how I might kill him prematurely? Here are a few thoughts:

- All concentration spells are out for obvious reasons
- I can create surfaces which do damage him, but not by nearly enough. He has 8HP if I turn it down to Explorer, but he's only hit once since no turns actually pass, and you can't stack multiple surfaces afaict. It's also worth noting he's completely immune to fire and poison damage.
- Planting a bomb and making the longest fuse I could using grease puddles hasn't worked and I suspect it can't, that poo poo burns VERY fast and I can't actually open the long rest menu while it's happening. I figure the game calculates the chain reaction and doesn't let you do anything else until it's done.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Throw sussurr blooms at the tower turrets

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
I just destroyed them, don't even remember how but it wasn't very hard

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

That was our first plan but they wilted. We didn't know about the whole can't take them out of the underdark thing.

DarkHorse posted:

Witch bolt is great at low levels for enemies that go invisible (even if you have see invisibility). It not only remains attached but will indicate exactly where they are.

Also the turrets can be deactivated by Susurra blossoms, just run up next to them and drop one.

Or do what I did and use Invisibility plus a lot of dashing

God drat I did not know that about invisibility and witch bolt.

I love this game. I feel like anyone could come up with a use case for any ability. Kinda boggles the mind. What about true strike? Surely that is the most useless spell?

This makes me wonder what everyone is using in interesting and novel ways. For me, I don't think I'm that creative. Create illusion for manipulating sight lines, which is useless now because of risky ring. Fog cloud is nice for preventing ranged spam. But tbh been relying on fireball, scorching ray, smites, and etc. Been pretty vanilla for the first playthrough.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
I used Sleet Storm on a chokepoint and trivialized a fight entirely as they all fell on their asses trying to reach the party that was just dinking them from distance.

Note that a singular firebolt will melt the whole thing so be careful.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

I managed to blow up Sceleritas by making a stack of barrels under a bomb and setting the bottom on fire. Took a lot of fiddling around to get the timing right. Kind of funny to see Shart get up and walk away during the sleeping cutscene. Anyway I have no idea what that accomplished cos the save editor won't open it lmao

The Wicked ZOGA fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jan 15, 2024

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Phlegmish posted:

Download for BG3 on Steam, but I'm not seeing an update. Could be a hotfix.

It is, for some reason Steam sometimes takes a while to show the update, if you click on the most recent one shown and scroll up you can see the new one.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Weird, last time I did the tower I tried blowing up the turrets and they just respawned immediately

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Thundarr posted:

My friend appears to have given up the game in disgust since they're permanently locked out of finishing the Shadowheart romance (they missed a dialog option in act 1 and are now deep into act 3).

To be fair that is kind of lovely.

do they not enjoy the game or something

its a video game romance. tell them to check out the hit new website youtube.com

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

Since I know where I'm going I just invis and beeline to it

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
i just throw junk at the turrets and then they die and never return. i dont think they are supposed to come back

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I've got Arcane Tower down to a science now. Invis past the first two turrets around the side of the building, feather fall down to the mushroom platforms below, grab a sussur bloom from the yard outside, lockpick the back door, power down the turrets and open the front door for my friends.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Turrets are also super susceptible to lightning if I'm not mistaken. I had no issues exploring the Arcane Tower in my current and only playthrough. Just zap em.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

re respawning stuff: in my honor mode run i came up from the fish people zone in the underdark and for some reason the game respawned a torchstalk at the top of the ladder, which promptly exploded three people off the ledge. somehow one of them didnt spawn in the blast range. i woulda been a little annoyed if that had ended it

exquisite tea posted:

I've got Arcane Tower down to a science now. Invis past the first two turrets around the side of the building, feather fall down to the mushroom platforms below, grab a sussur bloom from the yard outside, lockpick the back door, power down the turrets and open the front door for my friends.

idk if ive ever used feather fall. damage in this game basically isnt real unless you are in a fight

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

To me that simply indicates you aren't being ambitious enough with your jumping.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

nah i mean even if you jump to your death you can just be revived for basically zero cost

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes
so I'm doing my solo run right now

have a sword bard-fighter-wizard that murders everything but has low WIS so it's coinflip on whether it dies if anyone lands any CC (command/stun) on it

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"

Professor Beetus posted:

Weird, last time I did the tower I tried blowing up the turrets and they just respawned immediately

Turrets were bugged for a while. I had the same issue like... a couple months ago? Nothing but the flowers would work on them, because they'd just respawn and kill whoever was around immediately after being destroyed. I think that may have been fixed tho.

Kolodny
Jul 10, 2010

Verviticus posted:

re respawning stuff: in my honor mode run i came up from the fish people zone in the underdark and for some reason the game respawned a torchstalk at the top of the ladder, which promptly exploded three people off the ledge.

This happened to me in this tactician run, same place. Hear a few booms and screams while the screen’s black in transition, come in to see three soul echos. Pretty sure that’s where I lost loviatar’s blessing.

That’s one issue that’s hit me a couple times, the game resumes party movement before the next area fully loads. Easy way to plow into traps without seeing them. If I were doing an honor mode run I’d probably go turn based before any area change.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

Boom (mild Durge spoilers)

https://i.imgur.com/KqTWECY.mp4

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

I use Feather Fall a lot

Sure; falling damage is easily mitigated outside of combat. But there’s something really satisfying about dropping down from high rafters into melee with all your party landing gracefully on their feet like cats. Its a vibe

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Amazing. So what happened? Quest line broken?

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

I dunno yet. Trouble is I would actually like to see the Durge content so I probably won't continue on that file. But at least I'll still get to see the consequences of killing Mizora

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Shellception posted:

Turrets were bugged for a while. I had the same issue like... a couple months ago? Nothing but the flowers would work on them, because they'd just respawn and kill whoever was around immediately after being destroyed. I think that may have been fixed tho.

Yeah I did too, which is why I figured out the invis + sprint method. I assumed it was intended behavior

Another theory I had was a glitch where the sussur blossom revives the turret when the anti magic field goes away

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Lightning damage will put the turrets down for good

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

grack posted:

Lightning damage will put the turrets down for good

Lightning damage is what I used in my failed attempt

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
You need to do enough damage all at once (10+) to get past sturdy.

What I do instead is pop an invisibility potion and head to the basement to power up the tower so that the turrets turn off.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Yeah it was definitely bugged when I did it, sounds like instantly respawning was not intended behavior.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
I had it instantly respawn when it was deactivated by the blooms in my last run, so I just stopped trying to kill them

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Playing the Dark Urge in a multiplayer campaign is certainly interesting. A delicate balancing act of how much deranged poo poo you can get away with, and how effectively you can get your friends to rationalize being ok with it.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Finally marauding around Act 3 for the first time.

Got into the fight with Lorrkhan, and halfway through the first initiative Roland runs up to Lorrkhan and shoves him over a balcony, knocking off 2/3rds of his health from fall damage. What a way to hand in your notice.

Is that scripted to happen? Absolutely hilarious.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I've never seen him do that, very funny though. Depending on your choices he can not be present or evil take Lorraokan's side.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Real Cool Catfish posted:

Finally marauding around Act 3 for the first time.

Got into the fight with Lorrkhan, and halfway through the first initiative Roland runs up to Lorrkhan and shoves him over a balcony, knocking off 2/3rds of his health from fall damage. What a way to hand in your notice.

Is that scripted to happen? Absolutely hilarious.

Not scripted, but the AI will absolutely take these opportunities in combat if they're available.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

The AI seems to weight "push enemy off a cliff" very highly, and only slightly behind "throw Yurgir's bombs at people".

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

I've never seen him do that, very funny though. Depending on your choices he can not be present or evil take Lorraokan's side.

Who gets the store if he does the latter?

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Grymforge question:

Just killed Nere. Talked to people after the battle (got the duergar to side with me and also free the gnomes). Brought Nere's head back to Spaw, long rested, and the gnomes showed up in the myconid colony.

Went back to Grymforge to do the rest of the area, and it's empty? Like, I'm sure the rest is fine, but all the duergar are gone.

Not sure if this is a problem, but curious. Kinda wanted to trade some more with the people there, but I don't think I missed anything critical, mainly wanted to offload some junk for gold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Fought Grym on honour mode and over prepared for the fight. He didn't even get to take a step because Karlach and Laezel just bashed him to death with hammers. My dex bardadin casted a few buffs and shart just chained a few command halts to help ensure he didn't move if he even managed to stand up. What a little bitch.