Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: muscles like this!)

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

That Nic Cage news rules. I was just listening to a couple of his podcast appearances, and he was saying how he still hadn't quite found the right TV part and not ruling it out but was still mainly about movies. But I need more Cage at all times so hopefully he conquers both landscapes simultaneously.

Also, just have to complain somewhere, Paramount via Amazon has 1 min of ads played for every 8 minute classic Beavis & Butt-Head episode. I find this arrangement unwatchable, and it is a uniquely kooky oversight.

Plus, they had a thing saying they were adding every 200+ classic episode/segment in 2022, and at the moment they have about 96 up. Beavis history folks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Jimmy Kimmel roasted ABC at their upfronts

quote:

— “We are bundling and while from the outside this may look like an act of desperation, from the inside, it also looks like that. We didn’t want to bundle, we had to — like when you’re freezing to death and it’s so cold you have to get into a sleeping bag with your uncle so you don’t die. That’s us. You’ve seen our churn rates. This is not just churn. It’s Chernobyl. Now finally our users can turn on their TV and get all the channels in one package for one price all supported by ads. We call it ‘basic cable’ and it’s gonna blow your mind. We’re consolidating. We are building one enormous ad-supported streaming pile of poo poo.”

— “It must be a good idea because it’s already getting copycats. Netflix, Apple and Peacock just announced their new bundle StreamSaver today. What an excellent name. StreamSaver sounds like a catheter you might find for sale on TuckerCarlson.com.”

— “All our content is available in one place — and also in multiple other places too.”

Waaaay more in the article

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I think the milk robot people might have a new show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEoQAoEGLhw

It's even got guy-who-can't-act Travis Fimmel!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Mark Strong and Emily Watson though

e: why do they have to be British. I want to see a bene geseritt with a straight up California accent

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

will they milk a sandworm?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Does it have nipples

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Man the set design in that is straight cribbing from Game Of Thrones.

You gonna make it 2015 through science or magic, hey Discovery?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

quote:

Bob Iger should be retired by now, he should be off on a yacht somewhere. Instead he’s here pretending to be excited about a new season of Will-loving-Trent. Bob tried to sell us last year, he put us up for sale, and as if that wasn’t bad enough, no one wanted to buy us. When no one was interested, Bob explained that he didn’t mean he literally wanted to sell us, he was just testing the waters for Wall Street. You know, Bob, when people test the waters, they usually dip in a toe, they don’t drown their children.”

Speaking of Will Trent, they ran out of rope on the dyslexia gimmick and have pivoted to tragic childhood backstory trauma hard.

The one good thing about the show is they go around saying they're agents of the GBI and it sounds like they say Jeeby Eye instead.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 16:51 on May 15, 2024

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The Dune show is based on the lovely prequels by Herbert’s son and KJA, right?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

edit: ^^^ Beaten.

zoux posted:

Isn't this based on one of the Brian Herbert/Kevin J. Anderson books? Sisterhood of Dune or one of them? Not the best sign.

Open Source Idiom posted:

Man the set design in that is straight cribbing from Game Of Thrones.

You gonna make it 2015 through science or magic, hey Discovery?

Yeah, this feels like a cheap version of the movies mixed with Game of Thrones.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

IDK if it's based on them, KJA and Brian Herbert are EPs, but that might be a rights issue. It's supposed to be in the Villenueve continuity, he was slated to write and direct the pilot but I don't know if that panned out.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Chairman Capone posted:

The Dune show is based on the lovely prequels by Herbert’s son and KJA, right?

Yes. It is set 10,000 years before the start of the movies.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Conan O'Brien Must Go has been renewed for season two.
https://twitter.com/StreamOnMax/status/1790765577130172561

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

zoux posted:

We have Villenueve at home

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Mu Zeta posted:

e: why do they have to be British. I want to see a bene geseritt with a straight up California accent

Paul Atreides? Whatareyou doing here?

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Oasx posted:

Conan O'Brien Must Go has been renewed for season two.
https://twitter.com/StreamOnMax/status/1790765577130172561

The first season took like 4 years between announcement and release. Hopefully we can see this before 2028

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

oh jay posted:

The first season took like 4 years between announcement and release. Hopefully we can see this before 2028
And hopefully season 2 has more than 4 episodes (though I totally understand something like this takes a long time to produce)

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

oh jay posted:

Rageaholic posted:

And hopefully season 2 has more than 4 episodes (though I totally understand something like this takes a long time to produce)

Both of these things were greatly affected by Covid and then the strike.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I got turned off on the series when he bothered the children of one of the hosts - adults are fine, but it got too awkward when he tried his humor on kids.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

X-O posted:

Both of these things were greatly affected by Covid and then the strike.

Yes, but it was very funny to listen to Jordan yell at him to begin thinking about making a show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jlHfMumJ5c

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1790790105340264699

An interesting choice for Dr. Doom but I'm keeping an open mind

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Hoping she is the silver surfer.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

GreenNight posted:

Hoping she is the silver surfer.

Julia Garner

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Arist posted:

Julia Garner

Oh that's right. She's Professor X.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I like space and future and lavish sci-fi production design so I will watch the Dune show.

I enjoyed Foundation so as long as it's only that dumb or better I'm fine with it.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

ymgve posted:

I got turned off on the series when he bothered the children of one of the hosts - adults are fine, but it got too awkward when he tried his humor on kids.

Children famously hate humor and joking around.

Sumo
Jun 17, 2005

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1790790105340264699

An interesting choice for Dr. Doom but I'm keeping an open mind

HERBIE definitely needs that cigarette smoke voice

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Khanstant posted:

This is the same thread where people complained about Conan interacting with regular people/fans, arguably the main reason his travelogue stuff has even been made.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I know there have been like 10 mediocre-to-bad Marvel movies in a row lately, but this could be the comeback. I think Pedro and Natasha is cool inspired casting, granted they're both hot right now but it plays (to quote Succession). I also like that they're both older than me. So this is good. They gotta make this movie good or they're doomed, Dr Doomed.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Khanstant posted:

Yes it certainly looked like they enjoyed it and totally didn't look like they wanted to be anywhere else but onscreen with that weird man

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Mu Zeta posted:

need to show that they're evil

also need all the fremen to be from Brooklyn

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023
I know this isn't TV, but everyone should experience Bobby Fingers on youtube.

His latest video is the Fabio vs Goose incident. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RIEPKEhE2s

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Was looking for a sub to post about Youtube series in but I guess I found the right place.

I am posting about this looking for a sanity check on something weird I've stumbled across on Youtube.

Basically, there is a channel called Stevie Emerson which the algorithm kept serving up to me until I blocked it. It's ostensibly a self-titled channel by an influencer guy who makes short comedy films, usually based on some kind of benign-seeming gender-stereotyped male/female relationship stuff. The production values are pretty high and it's all very polished-seeming.
The channel gets quite a lot of views, typically like 500k to 1.5m but sometimes up to around 8m views.

However, I watched one or two a while back and stopped because, as I'll explain, they are not normal comedy videos at all, they are in fact, loving creepy as hell.
Naturally youtube kept serving them up to me as much as possible, to the point where I had to tell it not to.
The thing is, I feel a little like I'm going crazy, because the content when you actually look at it is insanely sexist and just creepy as hell. And it seems to have a really wide reach given the view numbers. I assume that the algorithm targets his stuff at males in their 20s and thirties like myself. But what's really weirding me out is: I cannot find anything about this online. There are no news articles on the channel or the guy, no reddit posts about how bizarre and creepy his videos are. There's a very small Reddit community (r/stevieemerson) which is basically empty. But the videos get vast numbers of views and from the comments it seems this guy obviously has a seriously big following online.

It feels like the channel is part of the slowly seeping tide of weird online soft-incel-ish sexist content which is kind of getting everywhere. But given the viewing figures it seems like a big player in that cultural arena. Yet there's nothing out there about it. I am kind of amazed and disturbed at the fact that there is no progressive-ish news website that's published a takedown of this weirdness, as much as I am weirded-out by the content itself.

To explain a little more about why the content is weird - disclaimer because I've only seen a couple of these so perhaps he does some more normal poo poo too, but by the look of the titles and thumbnails of the videos, it seems very likely all his poo poo is like this.
Essentially the deal is: the eponymous star and I presume writer, Stevie Emerson, produces these films where he plays a reasonable, cool and chill normal everyman guy.
The other main character in the videos is always his extremely hot girlfriend.
Stevie Emerson's character always acts normal and cool.
The 'joke' of the videos however, is that his hot girlfriend is crazy. Because all hot girls/all girls are crazy, right? Hahaha.
But I don't mean just she kind of over-reacts like you see in bad sitcoms. I mean her character is designed to be loving psychotic in the most gender-stereotyped way possible.

So for example: the hot crazy girlfriend is in bed with cool normal guy, they're browsing her phone, and then she makes a comment that all her girl friends are so hot. Then she asks him who's the most hot out of her friends. The cool normal guy is like, 'I won't answer that, crazy girlfriend, that's an obvious trap!' So far, so normal for a stereotype-y online comedy sketch series, right?
But then the video slowly escalates the situation over and over again until it's just weird as gently caress. The girlfriend keeps asking the question, popping up creepily in various scenarios whilst cool normal guy is brushing his teeth, getting ready for work, whatever. Gradually she becomes more and more crazy over time, to the point where she gets him arrested and interrogated and psychotically screams at him in the interrogation room about which of her friends is the most hot, and has her hot girl friends do a literal lineup for him where she's kind of bizarrely snarling into a microphone ordering them to do stereotyped hot things. (Sidenote at this point, if it sounds weird as gently caress, it truly is.)
The psycho hot girlfriend ultimately fakes cancer for several months and goes into hospital and gets a dude to act as a doctor (doctors are male, you know) and tell the normal cool boyfriend she's dying, so that he'll reveal which of her friends he finds the most hot. He does so and of course then she's like 'you bastard' and starts crying and so on.

I think the other two I saw bits of were about (a) a hot girl at a gym who goes crazy on a cool normal guy who was just trying to work out, accusing him of filming her even though he didn't. Not sure what happens at the end of that because it is all so loving weird I stopped watching despite my morbid fascination. and (b) cool normal guy's friend invites him over ostensibly to help with some building work but actually the friend wants cool normal guy to sleep with his very hot girlfriend.

Essentially it's male fantasy edging on serious levels of misogyny and incel-type sexism.

Anyways sorry for ranting about this here, as you can tell I have gone down a bit of a rabbit hole. Am I wrong to be so weirded out by this poo poo though?
If anyone wishes, you can check the stuff out here and see if I'm overreacting in how weird and hosed up I find this content: https://www.youtube.com/@stevie_emerson/videos Apologies in advance for spreading my brain worms.

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 13:38 on May 16, 2024

mystes
May 31, 2006

El Grillo posted:

Was looking for a sub to post about Youtube series in but I guess I found the right place.

I am posting about this looking for a sanity check on something weird I've stumbled across on Youtube.

Basically, there is a channel called Stevie Emerson which the algorithm kept serving up to me until I blocked it. It's ostensibly a self-titled channel by an influencer guy who makes short comedy films, usually based on some kind of benign-seeming gender-stereotyped male/female relationship stuff. The production values are pretty high and it's all very polished-seeming.
The channel gets quite a lot of views, typically like 500k to 1.5m but sometimes up to around 8m views.

However, I watched one or two a while back and stopped because, as I'll explain, they are not normal comedy videos at all, they are in fact, loving creepy as hell.
Naturally youtube kept serving them up to me as much as possible, to the point where I had to tell it not to.
The thing is, I feel a little like I'm going crazy, because the content when you actually look at it is insanely sexist and just creepy as hell. And it seems to have a really wide reach given the view numbers. I assume that the algorithm targets his stuff at males in their 20s and thirties like myself. But what's really weirding me out is: I cannot find anything about this online. There are no news articles on the channel or the guy, no reddit posts about how bizarre and creepy his videos are. There's a very small Reddit community (r/stevieemerson) which is basically empty. But the videos get vast numbers of views and from the comments it seems this guy obviously has a seriously big following online.

It feels like the channel is part of the slowly seeping tide of weird online soft-incel-ish sexist content which is kind of getting everywhere. But given the viewing figures it seems like a big player in that cultural arena. Yet there's nothing out there about it. I am kind of amazed and disturbed at the fact that there is no progressive-ish news website that's published a takedown of this weirdness, as much as I am weirded-out by the content itself.

To explain a little more about why the content is weird - disclaimer because I've only seen a couple of these so perhaps he does some more normal poo poo too, but by the look of the titles and thumbnails of the videos, it seems very likely all his poo poo is like this.
Essentially the deal is: the eponymous star and I presume writer, Stevie Emerson, produces these films where he plays a reasonable, cool and chill normal everyman guy.
The 'joke' of the videos however, is that his hot girlfriend is crazy. Because all hot girls/all girls are crazy, right? Hahaha.
But I don't mean just she kind of over-reacts like you see in bad sitcoms. I mean her character is designed to be loving psychotic in the most gender-stereotyped way possible.

So for example: the hot crazy girlfriend is in bed with cool normal guy, they're browsing her phone, and then she makes a comment that all her girl friends are so hot. Then she asks him who's the most hot out of her friends. The cool normal guy is like, 'I won't answer that, crazy girlfriend, that's an obvious trap!' So far, so normal for a stereotype-y online comedy sketch series, right?
But then the video slowly escalates the situation over and over again until it's just weird as gently caress. The girlfriend keeps asking the question, popping up creepily in various scenarios whilst cool normal guy is brushing his teeth, getting ready for work, whatever. Gradually she becomes more and more crazy over time, to the point where she gets him arrested and interrogated and psychotically screams at him in the interrogation room about which of her friends is the most hot, and has her hot girl friends do a literal lineup for him where she's kind of bizarrely snarling into a microphone ordering them to do stereotyped hot things. (Sidenote at this point, if it sounds weird as gently caress, it truly is.)
The psycho hot girlfriend ultimately fakes cancer for several months and goes into hospital and gets a dude to act as a doctor (doctors are male, you know) and tell the normal cool boyfriend she's dying, so that he'll reveal which of her friends he finds the most hot. He does so and of course then she's like 'you bastard' and starts crying and so on.

I think the other two I saw bits of were about (a) a hot girl at a gym who goes crazy on a cool normal guy who was just trying to work out, accusing him of filming her even though he didn't. Not sure what happens at the end of that because it is all so loving weird I stopped watching despite my morbid fascination. and (b) cool normal guy's friend invites him over ostensibly to help with some building work but actually the friend wants cool normal guy to sleep with his very hot girlfriend.

Essentially it's male fantasy edging on serious levels of misogyny and incel-type sexism.

Anyways sorry for ranting about this here, as you can tell I have gone down a bit of a rabbit hole. Am I wrong to be so weirded out by this poo poo though?
If anyone wishes, you can check the stuff out here and see if I'm overreacting in how weird and hosed up I find this content: https://www.youtube.com/@stevie_emerson/videos Apologies in advance for spreading my brain worms.
Don't waste your time thinking about bad youtube channels or how many views they have. There are tons of them and you can't live your life worrying about them. Just tell it not to recommend them, move on, and stop thinking about them.

Yes, youtube does recommend awful poo poo a lot. It's gotten to the point where when youtube recommends a new channel and I'm curious about it I'll open it in a new tab to check it out and if it's bad I'll close the new tab and go back to the original tab so I can immediately tell youtube not to recommend that channel (since you can only do that when it's a recommendation, not from the actual video page).

Also this thread in RGD might be more appropriate for discussing youtube: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3944685

mystes fucked around with this message at 13:44 on May 16, 2024

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Yeah, it's not something that bothers me usually and I blocked the thing. I just posted because it came up yesterday on my feed again and I realised how loving odd it all is.

I am more generally worried about the weird soft incel type cultural pattern that I think is emerging online and getting into a lot of young dudes' heads though. I think it probably explains a significant amount of the right wing shift young males are apparently making in a lot of western countries. So it has been disturbing to me, to see this kind of poo poo going completely unanswered and unchecked.

Anyways, nothing to be done about it, just wanted to throw it out there.

I guess I was also curious whether anyone has been served up this crap.

edit

mystes posted:

Also this thread in RGD might be more appropriate for discussing youtube: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3944685
Thanks, I'll head on over instead of infecting the TVIV chill zone with any more of this mind poison.

vvv that's good to know. I guess youtube people can pay to get promoted maybe or more realistically he's just found a near perfect way to game the algorithm, largely no doubt through the hot-girl-thumbnail thing.

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 13:50 on May 16, 2024

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

El Grillo posted:

Dude this EXACT same thing happened to me. His videos started taking over my feed entirely until I had to hide them. I watched one sketch because the preview had a super hot girl. I was like "Yeah she's hot but this sketch is awful", but then it was all Steve Emerson all the time, I had to block the channel as well. Guessing it's some sort of deal with the devil he made.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I watched some tornado videos and my recs are now all storm chasers, which is cool. These guys get insanely close to these things now.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I feel like Outer Range could have had a better title.

Even "Big Hole" is better.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Stegosnaurlax posted:

I know this isn't TV, but everyone should experience Bobby Fingers on youtube.

His latest video is the Fabio vs Goose incident. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RIEPKEhE2s

It absolutely is TV. It's a surprise episode of Mythbusters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

feedmyleg posted:

It absolutely is TV. It's a surprise episode of Mythbusters.

Yeah I watched these last night (Slo Mo Guys vid which I already watch regularly and Bobby Fingers whom I hadn't checked out before) and cackled my rear end off the whole time, thanks for the recs