Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

The Aphasian posted:

I carpool with a coworker that lives 5 minutes from me to a job that's 1 to 1.5 hours each way. We use her car (my wife and I have one car, she uses it to drive to work) and she drives in the morning, I drive 2/3s of the time at night. I have enough seniority at work that I get a parking spot in the building whenever someone is sick, on vacation, etc., but not everyday (3/5 of the time), and am able to give her the parking space even when I telework once a week; parking at a nearby public garage is otherwise $15 a day. I give her $20 in gas money on weeks we don't have a spot.
When I don't ride with her because she is out, I ride a commuter bus that takes about 2 hrs each way and costs $8.50 roundtrip.
Riding with her I save about $116 a month (four commuting days in a four-week month + $20) and she saves about $200 ($180 in parking, $20 for the "no free parking" portion), but it's still her car that's getting the mileage. I don't know how to calculate accurately the cost in gas (
I think this is a fair trade, but I'm not sure if I should be giving her more cash on parkingspotless days, or supplementing with cash on days we park in-building for free. Any opinions?
Edit: I probably add about $15 in gas costs a month since I only live about 1.5 miles away.
There is no mathematical formula to get to what you're looking for.

The goal here is for both you and her to feel fairly compensated. Ask her about it, and if she says you're fine, and you feel fine, then you're golden.

My third party view of the situation is you could probably throw her a few extra bucks each week. The number I'd be looking to get to is 50%, so half of parking and half of gas.

The IRS number ($0.555/mi) is a sham and not needed for this equation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Could anyone recommend a timer program (Windows) that would chime at an interval specified by the user?

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Turtlicious posted:

If I want to find an internet weirdo to see how much info he can dig up on me, who would I hire and how much? Are there special consultants who will help me hide that info, or info that isn't me but shows up close to me?

Just go to SASS and start insulting them or something. You'll be doxxed in no time.

Lonny Donoghan
Jan 20, 2009
Pillbug
How do I clean old cum off my wall?

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Frykte posted:

How do I clean old cum off my wall?

Whitewash?

How did- why are-

Do I want to know

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
Sometimes in TV shows things are bought with shell companies, like shares or land, in order to hide the real owner of something, how does that actually work, if you're anonymous how would you enforce property rights?

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

I thought I saw the option somewhere but I can't seem to find it. Is there a way to mark all forum posts as 'unread' here on SA?

SIHappiness
Apr 26, 2008

Crankit posted:

Sometimes in TV shows things are bought with shell companies, like shares or land, in order to hide the real owner of something, how does that actually work, if you're anonymous how would you enforce property rights?

You would have an attorney who represents "Shell Corp" file any suits necessary. And you use one of the many corporations that exist to handle receiving service in a suit rather than listing "Joe Smith, CEO" as the person to serve.

Taking it a step forward, a corporation, partnership, or LLC can be the shareholder of a corporation or LLC and a partner in a partnership. So it's possible to make multiple nesting layers.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

photomikey posted:

There is no mathematical formula to get to what you're looking for.

The goal here is for both you and her to feel fairly compensated. Ask her about it, and if she says you're fine, and you feel fine, then you're golden.

My third party view of the situation is you could probably throw her a few extra bucks each week. The number I'd be looking to get to is 50%, so half of parking and half of gas.

The IRS number ($0.555/mi) is a sham and not needed for this equation.

Trastion posted:

I believe the US federal amount that an employer has to pay if you use your car for company purposes is somewhere around $.53/mile. You could go by that as it is supposed to pay for the gas and help with wear and tear.

Otherwise if you like this person and want to continue to have these rides when necessary you could just give her a portion of your savings. If you are saving $116/month you could give her another $30-40/month and still be saving a lot. Even at $40 you are still saving $75.

Don't just look at the gas cost, her time, wear and tear on the vehicle and your time (not having to take public transport) should all be a factor too.

Edit: Looks like it is actually 57.5 cents a mile now.

Thanks, I'm a cheap bastard, but I'm self-aware enough to know it and ask for outside views. I'll up it to ~$50 a month.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

syscall girl posted:

Could anyone recommend a timer program (Windows) that would chime at an interval specified by the user?

Pomodoro one is free and good enough. I use it regularly.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm looking for a thread on Star Wars Battlefront 2, specifically where I can ask about mods in that game. Does anyone have a link on hand?

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Why are solar panels so reflective? It's got to be irritating as a plane or helicopter pilot to deal with the reflection of the sunlight.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Grundulum posted:

Why are solar panels so reflective? It's got to be irritating as a plane or helicopter pilot to deal with the reflection of the sunlight.

Solar panels are designed to be as anti-reflective as possible (reflected light is wasted light).

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
My house was built in 1961. The kitchen cabinets are original. They're ugly and not particularly functional for a 2015 house.

Before I bought the house, some flipper pulled out the original countertops and put in custom granite. They did a really phenomenal job, it's beautiful. The kind of granite job that probably cost $15k. On top of 1961 cabinets.

I'm ready to remodel the kitchen (new cabinets, different layout) and the granite's gotta go. Because of the way it's cut (sink, range, short runs) it is not realistically re-usable for me.

At the same time, it seems pretty wasteful to just chuck all this granite.

Is there someone who can get some use out of it? Or would possibly (*gasp!*) pay me to buy it?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

photomikey posted:

My house was built in 1961. The kitchen cabinets are original. They're ugly and not particularly functional for a 2015 house.

Before I bought the house, some flipper pulled out the original countertops and put in custom granite. They did a really phenomenal job, it's beautiful. The kind of granite job that probably cost $15k. On top of 1961 cabinets.

I'm ready to remodel the kitchen (new cabinets, different layout) and the granite's gotta go. Because of the way it's cut (sink, range, short runs) it is not realistically re-usable for me.

At the same time, it seems pretty wasteful to just chuck all this granite.

Is there someone who can get some use out of it? Or would possibly (*gasp!*) pay me to buy it?

Some people might even want the terrible cabinets as-is to go with the granite. Wouldn't hurt to offer it.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Definitely take photos and try to sell it.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Sort of a longshot, but if you're into the whole outdoor cooking/grilling thing, you could use the granite countertop to make a badass outdoor kitchen.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

photomikey, not to throw a wrench in your plans, but have you considered refacing the bottom cabinets and replacing the top ones? Seems like it might be worth it with a countertop that nice.

The right cabinet maker can make them match and also do amazing things to update them.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Grundulum posted:

Solar panels aren't reflective, that would be the opposite of what you want them to do.

Are you thinking of those reflective mirrors at large scale solar plants? Those are meant to reflect the sun into a small area to burn water or salt to turn into steam or whatever to run a turbine. Those also do not reflect up at all so it's not a problem.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

FCKGW posted:

Solar panels aren't reflective, that would be the opposite of what you want them to do.

Are you thinking of those reflective mirrors at large scale solar plants? Those are meant to reflect the sun into a small area to burn water or salt to turn into steam or whatever to run a turbine. Those also do not reflect up at all so it's not a problem.

Many setups end up being hosed up when first built, and the mirrors actually can reflect up when that happens. However, that usually gets fixed in a relatively short time, since it means the plant can't operate efficiently.

Lonny Donoghan
Jan 20, 2009
Pillbug

WarpedNaba posted:

Whitewash?

How did- why are-

Do I want to know

Had to look this up

"a solution of lime and water or of whiting, size, and water, used for painting walls white."

Whats the exact ratio of lime and water to use and will it make the portion of the wall I use it on whiter than the rest?? Trying to make it not obvious that I had to clean old cum off my walls.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
How old we're talking about here?

Lonny Donoghan
Jan 20, 2009
Pillbug

Kurtofan posted:

How old we're talking about here?

Some of the spots are only a year old, but others could be 3+ years

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

What does the phrase "O my soul, do not aspire to immortal life, but exhaust the limits of the possible."

It sounds like it's arguing we should focus on what's realistic?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
You should focus on the most recent spots first, I'm afraid getting rid of 3 years old+ cum stains isn't a very realistic endeavor.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Tab8715 posted:

What does the phrase "O my soul, do not aspire to immortal life, but exhaust the limits of the possible."

Its meaning is that trying to live forever is impossible, so instead you should try to live your limited life to the fullest and enjoy as much as you can.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Tab8715 posted:

It basically says "lol @ yr fake skywizard smoke drugs and gently caress like she owes you money"

Lonny Donoghan
Jan 20, 2009
Pillbug

Kurtofan posted:

You should focus on the most recent spots first, I'm afraid getting rid of 3 years old+ cum stains isn't a very realistic endeavor.

Nobody ever teaches you just how badly old cum stains surfaces. Would sand paper help?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
It can't hurt!

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Yeah, if it's too bad, it'll likely be easier to sand and repaint.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

FCKGW posted:

Are you thinking of those reflective mirrors at large scale solar plants?

I'm thinking of whatever I see when planes land/take off. There will be the odd house that has ridiculous amounts of glare over a larger area than would be reasonable for a skylight. I assumed that this was solar panels, but I may be mistaken.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Grundulum posted:

I'm thinking of whatever I see when planes land/take off. There will be the odd house that has ridiculous amounts of glare over a larger area than would be reasonable for a skylight. I assumed that this was solar panels, but I may be mistaken.

Oh, those are just shiny roofs. Solar panel roofs tend to be pretty dark, except sometimes for the metal brackets between panels.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Nintendo Kid posted:

Oh, those are just shiny roofs. Solar panel roofs tend to be pretty dark, except sometimes for the metal brackets between panels.

But why would only a patch of the roof be shiny?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Grundulum posted:

But why would only a patch of the roof be shiny?

Well the skylight on my grandma's house is pretty reflective some times of day, so they could be skylights? There are also people who might have shiny metal hatches for roof access, or other things like that.

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster
I have a screening of several short films at my work tomorrow, and I need to grab several videos from Vimeo and burn them to a DVD.

The usual suspects (Keepvid, random sketchy programs from download.com) are not working, I suspect because the vids are password protected.

Keepvid just shows "vimeo.com 0:00" where the download links would normally be.

What else should I try? Willing to pay a small amount for software that works, as well.

Note in all seriousness, this is not :filez: - The event organizer has permission from each film's director to do this, but I do not have direct contact with the directors to ask them to enable the 'download' button.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How painful is an impacted ear? I think I have one but it doesn't hurt so much as it feels kind of tight.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Clockwork Sputnik posted:

I have a screening of several short films at my work tomorrow, and I need to grab several videos from Vimeo and burn them to a DVD.

The usual suspects (Keepvid, random sketchy programs from download.com) are not working, I suspect because the vids are password protected.

Keepvid just shows "vimeo.com 0:00" where the download links would normally be.

What else should I try? Willing to pay a small amount for software that works, as well.

Note in all seriousness, this is not :filez: - The event organizer has permission from each film's director to do this, but I do not have direct contact with the directors to ask them to enable the 'download' button.
If you don't have the password, you can't download the video.

Short film directors are not difficult to get ahold of, if you e-mail one right now and ask what them to send a download link, they will.

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster

photomikey posted:

If you don't have the password, you can't download the video.

Short film directors are not difficult to get ahold of, if you e-mail one right now and ask what them to send a download link, they will.

I do have the password. I can watch the movie til my eyes bleed. But I can't download it (no link and keepvid doesn't work with vids that are private, even if password has been entered.)

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

In short, I know how, it's possible, but it's :filez: and I don't believe you have permission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster

photomikey posted:

In short, I know how, it's possible, but it's :filez: and I don't believe you have permission.

Fair enough, I shot off an email to the event organizer telling him to have these idiots make download options avail by noon tomorrow otherwise *oops* no screening for you at an event you invited your pals to.