Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Grimmeh posted:

I’m losing track of what’s user-upgradeable and what isn’t. RAM is still upgradeable, but the SSD isn’t?
Yeah...more or less. The SSD is basically memory chips soldered to the board. RAM is upgradeable but isn't necessarily meant to be user upgradeable:

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Mac+mini+Late+2018+Memory+(RAM)+Replacement/115309

Not too bad but as you can see it's not just popping open the door and putting the RAM in. But it's probably something you'll only ever do once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Grimmeh posted:

I’m losing track of what’s user-upgradeable and what isn’t. RAM is still upgradeable, but the SSD isn’t?

Ram used to be upgradable, then it wasn't, but now it is again.

SSD is still soldered on.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
2015-ish Macbook Pro, I hardly ever use it since I got a newer one a year ago. I fired it up tonight and everything's fine, except I can't click the trackpad. I can move the mouse, and when I hover over things they act accordingly, and I can even tap for those things that work with a single tap, but I just can't click. So I can't drag anything, can't resize, etc. I've restarted several times, done an SMC reset, and just for kicks I upgraded to Mojave. Still missing that drat click. Any ideas?

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

jackpot posted:

2015-ish Macbook Pro, I hardly ever use it since I got a newer one a year ago. I fired it up tonight and everything's fine, except I can't click the trackpad. I can move the mouse, and when I hover over things they act accordingly, and I can even tap for those things that work with a single tap, but I just can't click. So I can't drag anything, can't resize, etc. I've restarted several times, done an SMC reset, and just for kicks I upgraded to Mojave. Still missing that drat click. Any ideas?

System Prefs -> Accessibility -> Mouse & Trackpad -> Trackpad Options -> Enable dragging -> three finger drag

This will let you drag click with three fingers.

If your physical button is no longer functioning that can sometimes be a symptom of battery bulging, so you might want to check the bottom case for signs of that and run some kind of battery diagnostic program.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Just been given a 2018 MacBook Pro for work and want to use my 27" LED Cinema Display with it. I thought the I'd just need the Apple TB3 to TB2 adaptor, but I found out the monitor uses an 'identical to a TB2' looking Mini DisplayPort connector instead.

What dongles do you recommend / use?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

spookygonk posted:

Just been given a 2018 MacBook Pro for work and want to use my 27" LED Cinema Display with it. I thought the I'd just need the Apple TB3 to TB2 adaptor, but I found out the monitor uses an 'identical to a TB2' looking Mini DisplayPort connector instead.

Wouldn’t that just be TB3->DisplayPort and then a DisplayPort to minidp cord?

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

tuyop posted:

Wouldn’t that just be TB3->DisplayPort and then a DisplayPort to minidp cord?

Am looking at either this or this.

Already have this to cover all USB & memory card needs.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

spookygonk posted:

Sell it and buy an LG Uktrafine refurb

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

BobHoward posted:

System Prefs -> Accessibility -> Mouse & Trackpad -> Trackpad Options -> Enable dragging -> three finger drag

This will let you drag click with three fingers.

If your physical button is no longer functioning that can sometimes be a symptom of battery bulging, so you might want to check the bottom case for signs of that and run some kind of battery diagnostic program.

I’d its actually a 15 it would be a force touch, are those affected by swollen batteries?

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

jackpot posted:

Is it that it doesn’t fake the click feel and sound but it still acts like a left click happened (assuming you have tap to click turned off), or does it simply do nothing if you press down?

If nothing is happening at all, maybe it’s the battery still? I could imagine that it still works by sensing a little downward force, which a bulging battery would prevent.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

MrBond posted:

Is it that it doesn’t fake the click feel and sound but it still acts like a left click happened (assuming you have tap to click turned off), or does it simply do nothing if you press down?

If nothing is happening at all, maybe it’s the battery still? I could imagine that it still works by sensing a little downward force, which a bulging battery would prevent.
It simply does nothing. It's so strange, I picked it up for the first time today, and it's fine...mostly. It's like whatever's happening is slowly going away.

You've got two actions on the trackpad, right? You can either tap something (like a link) or you can click hard (also to select, or to drag, or draw a box or whatever). Last night all I could do was tap, I couldn't click to select or drag anything, couldn't resize my browser, etc. Right now I can click and drag to resize, but I can't click to select. To open a file I can doubletap it - but doubleclicking does nothing. Oh, and literally as I'm typing this I tried to resize my browser and it wouldn't work. I changed to a different chrome tab, and suddenly I could resize again. Now, seconds later, it's not resizing again. It's changing from one minute to the next, it's all very intermittent and weird.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
If anyone’s been looking for a small GPU box for small low/midrange GPUs, someone is finally selling one:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13848/ces-2019-powercolor-visiontek-launch-compact-egfx-solutions

I think there’s been two or three others, but only available with a GPU or too small/limited or some other limitations that put me off...although looking into this one it looks like it has some weird rear end port placement going on. Close enough!

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

Anyone disable turbo boost for more battery life?

https://marco.org/2018/07/31/mac-low-power-mode

I bought/use this app, but I have a ton of issues with Turbo boost not automatically turning on when I plug my MBP in, so I'm constantly quitting the app altogether.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Odds of Apple replacing a bulging battery in a mid-2015 15" MBP that's out of warranty?

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

AlternateAccount posted:

Odds of Apple replacing a bulging battery in a mid-2015 15" MBP that's out of warranty?

Well if they don’t it’s like $200 and they give you a new keyboard to boot.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

https://support.apple.com/mac/repair/service

Yeah, it's pretty rare that they'll swap the battery out for free unless it was within the original warranty / AppleCare warranty period.

Also yeah you'll get a brand new trackpad and keyboard to go with the new battery.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Bob Morales posted:

I’d its actually a 15 it would be a force touch, are those affected by swollen batteries?

Oh yeah I forgot when force touch happened. Idk whether it’s affected by swelling in the same way.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Eh, on reflection, it's my work machine and I ain't got time for that. I popped it open and whoa boy, every cell bulged up huge and about to burst. Just ripped it out and hooked everything back up, it was a lot easier than normal since the deformation from the bulging had released most of the adhesive. I can put the new one in in 15 minutes when it gets here. The good news it now isn't a weeble wobble that won't sit flat.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

AlternateAccount posted:

Eh, on reflection, it's my work machine and I ain't got time for that. I popped it open and whoa boy, every cell bulged up huge and about to burst. Just ripped it out and hooked everything back up, it was a lot easier than normal since the deformation from the bulging had released most of the adhesive. I can put the new one in in 15 minutes when it gets here. The good news it now isn't a weeble wobble that won't sit flat.

Download intel power gadget and Mac the cpu out of younwiuld

Curious to what clocks it will hit sans battery

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

50% of full speed probably

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care
Re-purposed my old Macbook as a server,

With dongle and holding option while boot I was able to clear the data and install headless Debian. Now I just need to find a dongle that'll do power delivery and Ethernet for cheap, as that is on loan from work.

Any recommendations? :v:

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Bob Morales posted:

Download intel power gadget and Mac the cpu out of younwiuld

Curious to what clocks it will hit sans battery

The machine is a base-model IG 2.2GHz i7, but without the battery, it looks like it pegs out at 1.7GHz. Temp stable at ~68C. Whole package only running ~18.4W, can't even hear the fans spinning.

eames
May 9, 2009

Kivi posted:

With dongle and holding option while boot I was able to clear the data and install headless Debian. Now I just need to find a dongle that'll do power delivery and Ethernet for cheap, as that is on loan from work.

That's a fun idea, I never thought of headless a diy mac server with a macbook board of some sorts.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Kivi posted:

That rules. Build an enclosure out of LEGO.

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care

eames posted:

That's a fun idea, I never thought of headless a diy mac server with a macbook board of some sorts.

Yeah, the display connector crumbled into million pieces while I was trying to repair it (screen was shattered) so it was a total loss as a Mac.

I was searching for a Raspberry Pi replacement as they're slow as hell when you pile on the services, core m7, 8 GB of RAM and 256 GB NVMe SSD beats it quite easily, and it was essentially free, as it was just taking space in the to-be-recycled bin of stuff. Zip-tied Thermalright HR-05 on it, as it run quite warm and thermally throttled.

I might do the Lego thing, but that might require a fan, as on normal configuration the case is used as a giant heat sink for the whole SoC.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I've often thought someone should buy busted iMacs or MacBooks and solder on PCI-E breakouts and onsell them as 100% compatible Hackintosh mobos.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

~Coxy posted:

I've often thought someone should buy busted iMacs or MacBooks and solder on PCI-E breakouts and onsell them as 100% compatible Hackintosh mobos.
That tangentially reminds of this, just stick a Mac mini inside an eGPU:

https://egpu.io/forums/builds/mid-2011-mac-mini-r9-fury-x10gbps-akitio-node-macos-theitsage/

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
So this (mostly self-inflicted) ordeal with my old Mac's GPU is almost over. I found a guy who wants to trade my HD7950 for his 5770, which should work in my MP 1,1.

I just have one question: does the 5770 require the six-pin power cables off of the mobo to run? This guy claims it doesn't, but he's also running it in a newer tower (a 4,1). Cursory searching of macrumors etc yields no joy so far. I don't want to give him my power cables as part of the trade and then find out I needed them all along.

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jan 13, 2019

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/tZjoMzopFWo/maxresdefault.jpg

looks like it does

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Great, thanks for the quick reply. Do you know if the 7950 requires both six-pin cables to be connected, or if it can run off a single one? I'm trying to reach a compromise with this guy and if leaving one cable satisfies us both, I'm about it.

sensitivepigeon
Dec 4, 2016

I'M SENSITIVE ABOUT IT, OK?
anyone have experience buying refurb macs off Backmarket?

Khorne
May 1, 2002
How do I get my 2016 mbp 15" to stop shocking me all the time? This is with shoes on with a wooden desk at work.

Do I really need to pay $20 for a 3 pronged cable because it didn't come with one?

Also, it did it one time while not plugged in. But usually it's while plugged in, and the charger cable itself has shocked me before and doesn't appear defective in any way (besides by design.)

Khorne fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jan 14, 2019

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

i've got a 13" mbpr from late 2017 (MacBookPro14,1) and i am getting rid of it because of it's terrible thermals, fan noise and poor battery life, not to mention repeated trips to the store to deal with keyboard issues and the ssd recall. i was going to switch to something like a dell xps 13 but every laptop i've looked at has significant tradeoffs i'm not sure i want to make. that said, how likely is it i just got a dud machine and i'm experiencing atypical thermal/noise/battery issues and a new mbpr will probably not have the same problems (at least to the same degree)?

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

The new MacBooks may not be your perfect cup of tea. Sounds like some normal and not so normal problems, but if you have to have a new computer, there are some growing pains.

If you can handle used, plenty of us rock the classic RMBP. No warranty, but there are still some good examples out there.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
I just bought a refurb 2018 13 inch from Apple (16/512) and am pretty happy with it so far. I don't hate the keyboard (though unlearning F1/F2 for brightness is a trip) and the quad core works pretty well with my workload. I came from a 2012 non-retina though so I can't compare to the 2016/2017 directly. Taking $400 off a machine that feels brand new is good to me.

It certainly makes my old machine (2012 non-retina 13) feel like a brick.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Anyone with older Mac Minis (2012/2014) able to comment on the audio quality out of the 3.5" jack? Common sense would like to say it's perfectly fine and alternative options are a waste of time, but I had a 2010 iMac and the analog out on that was *abysmal*. Not from an 'audiophile golden ears oooh the soundstage is definitely better with this $3,000 power cable' way, but in a 'oh I've hooked this up to the amp and there's a poo poo ton of signal noise that really shouldn't be there' way.

I currently run a small set of powered monitors via a Traktor controller which sounds perfectly nice, but it takes up a fair chunk of my desk now I've rearranged that I'd like to try an alternative. So I can either run a 3.5" to RCA cable, get a cheap DAC and use the optical out (this is how I dealt with the iMac, using a Sony Minidisc recorder as a DAC), or get a cheap soundcard. Cheap means $30-50 max, not cheap compared to $2,000 boutique hardware. I'm guessing my old Mac was an anomaly and I'd see no differences between these solutions but as it's an older machine I'm guessing others here have tried different stuff before.

Audio is mainly iTunes and plonking about in Ableton.

e: Eh seems a fairly easy solution, I'll run a 3.5mm>RCA cable for now and I'll pick up this little $60 Behringer recording interface in the future that gives me some inputs and keeps my balanced outputs.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jan 14, 2019

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Phillipians 1:21
Has anyone had any luck with disabling the discrete GPU in an early 2011 MacBook Pro 15”?

I’ve seen a software and hardware fix on realmacmods.com, but it also seems like this might be a little sketchy. There is no way I’m going to go in and solder or desolder resistors on the board, so if I use them for the hardware fix I’d be sending it in.

Is there any point to this? I really only want to use this machine as a Plex server so I’m hoping I can salvage this to work with the internal gpu only.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

mike- posted:

Has anyone had any luck with disabling the discrete GPU in an early 2011 MacBook Pro 15”?

I’ve seen a software and hardware fix on realmacmods.com, but it also seems like this might be a little sketchy. There is no way I’m going to go in and solder or desolder resistors on the board, so if I use them for the hardware fix I’d be sending it in.

Is there any point to this? I really only want to use this machine as a Plex server so I’m hoping I can salvage this to work with the internal gpu only.

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...le-fix.2037591/

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Me justifying myself to only buy a 2015 rmbp 13 with 128 ssd (it’s just a writing machine, my main computer is an iMac, but I need software I can’t get on a chrome book). Still, not a lot of room. I’ll grab a jet drive I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

LionArcher posted:

Me justifying myself to only buy a 2015 rmbp 13 with 128 ssd (it’s just a writing machine, my main computer is an iMac, but I need software I can’t get on a chrome book). Still, not a lot of room. I’ll grab a jet drive I guess
I have one of those, it’s fine.