Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

NihilCredo posted:

kde widgets can do that for basic graphs (CPU/ram etc)

I treat them as decorations because if I actually cared about that data I'd open system monitor or htop or something

ive been loving around with conky and apparently nobody has used it in Years and the syntax has changed so all the cool configs ive seen around are entirely broken now so im slowly writing my own. and yeah its just more for looking cool than actually being useful

got it set up to get the top 5 world news headlines from an RSS feed but so far the only feed ive found that actually works is the new york times. lol. lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

That loving Sned posted:

Does LibreOffice have better compatibility if you stick to .odt instead of .docx? Could you pass the document back and forth between LibreOffice and Word without it affecting the formatting?

I did this for a spreadsheet, and it had fewer issues when I saved it as .ods.

Dunno what features are in the MS Office formats that I’d need.

iirc office does have some support for openoffice documents, but i doubt it's been updated much since they introduced the feature (probably more than a decade ago), so if the openoffice format changed since then (and it probably has) then it probably doesn't work very well

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

All this compositor talk reminded me to go set my raspberry pi's gpu memory to minimum.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

groff, nroff or troff - nobody typesets for free

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

BattleMaster posted:

gnu roff is not free?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

can you use the open office mouse with libre office?

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
greetings from kubuntu

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

BattleMaster posted:

lol

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

BattleMaster posted:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

BattleMaster posted:

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

ryanrs posted:

All this compositor talk reminded me to go set my raspberry pi's gpu memory to minimum.

more free RAM will help it compile NetBSD faster

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

BattleMaster posted:

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

BattleMaster posted:

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

BattleMaster posted:

so good

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
vim > emacs?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

ziasquinn posted:

vim > emacs?

who cares

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE

ziasquinn posted:

vim > emacs?

well, not by binary size i dont think

but it certainly is better in every way :dukedoge:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

ziasquinn posted:

vim > emacs?

nano > *

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

even gedit is better than a terminal text editor

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
:sickos:

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

emacs can do full color and mouse interaction a terminal somehow. got it to the point where if i ssh into my desktop the terminal emacs looks/works about the same as locally in the gui version. i mean sure it's a low bar but still

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

repost from the networking thread

Progressive JPEG posted:

i ended up diying a linux router (debian stable) on a protectli box. running systemd-networkd and firewalld, with all the configuration in a basic ansible config in a git repo making it easy to rebuild later or revert if i break something. wanted something that could serve as a wireguard gateway and also run arbitrary docker containers

got everything working in about a day, with the one annoyance currently being that the built-in dhcp server in systemd-networkd is technically functional but extremely barebones. like afaict theres no way to list the hostnames used by clients to figure out where things are. the best i can find is a list of ips/mac addresses in "networkctl status <iface>"

meanwhile i've already got it running adguard home in a docker container for the dns server, and that has a dhcp server feature, so i might just try using that for the dhcp service too. however the file format for tracking static leases is undocumented which doesn't give me much confidence that it's much better

also firewalld is good but its docs are awful, and requiring "--" for command parameters in firewall-cmd is haram. thinking that ill want to switch to direct nftables someday but firewalld had everything i needed for now and was quick to get functioning despite the docs situation. for example i ended up creating my own zones from scratch because i didn't get the point of the built-in ones. i also don't know when you would want zone rules vs a separate policy, the latter seems to be newer and usually unnecessary

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
nano can do full color and supports using the mouse, too. i agree there's really not much that separates something like that from an entirely gui-based simple text editor (like notepad or something)

WYSIWYG ones that are more like wordpad or something are probably much easier for someone not accustomed to using keyboard shortcuts, though. having formatting and font options etc. on a toolbar or something is, imo, indisputably easier to use

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

Silver Alicorn posted:

greetings from kubuntu

I kinda like it

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Silver Alicorn posted:

I kinda like it

i use it at work its p deece

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

ziasquinn posted:

vim > emacs?

doesn't matter uncle ben; ed is better than both of 'em

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I don't much care for the Ubuntu part, but KDE Plasma pleasantly stays out of the way almost all the time, which is really all I want from a DE anyway.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
i like gnome even though i know its an illness

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

I wish PaperWM had a KDE version so I could try it there

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

redhat firewalld is actually pretty nice if you're able to understand the model regarding how you think about it

if you have some esoteric requirements, it could sometimes take time to implement and debug

however, I'm able to configure a router just fine

the model is pretty nice because you can define configurations by services, which makes it much cleaner to have firewalld juggle all the requirements regarding which ports should be open and to which audience those ports should be available to

as a result, if you want to release a new network service and have it play nice with the firewall, you just have to create a service file. Then the sysadmin takes the service file and specifies who gets to talk to the service via IP or via interface or whatnot.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I like firewalld but I can't get it to work with a wireguard server for the life of me. Traffic comes in over the tunnel but then fails to forward.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Linux 6.10 To Merge NTSYNC Driver For Emulating Windows NT Synchronization Primitives

mystes
May 31, 2006

Weird but that's a pretty impressive improvement

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Sapozhnik posted:

I like firewalld but I can't get it to work with a wireguard server for the life of me. Traffic comes in over the tunnel but then fails to forward.

i just have a blanket ACCEPT zone config against the wireguard interface like this and it seems to work:
code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<zone target="ACCEPT">
    <interface name="wg0"/>
    <forward/>
</zone>
sounds like you have this already but just in case: in the each of the wireguard clients connecting to the gateway, the peer entry for the gateway has an AllowedIPs covering everything to be served by the gateway, like:
code:
AllowedIPs = 172.27.0.2/32, 172.26.0.0/16
in that example the gateway itself is 27.0.2 on the wireguard network while the local network its exposing is 26.x.x

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

i think firewalld allows plain iptables rules if it really comes down to it?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

and I believe that the FORWARD chain is important in situations like this (between interfaces) but I have to admit I've struggled with similar setups in the past.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

mystes posted:

Weird but that's a pretty impressive improvement

note that those are numbers for games that specifically don't work with either esync or fsync, most games won't see that kind of uplift. every little bit helps tho

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

looking forward to the 150% improvement in ... idk Bungholiomarks i presume

phoronix is such a cesspit

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

huh, maybe this really is the year of linux on the desktop lol

who would have thought it possible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Sapozhnik posted:

looking forward to the 150% improvement in ... idk Bungholiomarks i presume

phoronix is such a cesspit

it's basically exclusively for wine/proton. those metrics are for performance improvements in windows games, and they're pretty impressive considering wine/proton are sometimes already faster than windows itself

i wonder what those numbers would look like using clear