Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

BeeSeeBee
Oct 25, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

Some leaks about the FBI's ability/legal rights to information from various encrypted communications platforms

https://twitter.com/fekitcba/status/1465757901537132544?s=20

The FBI is as confused as the rest of us regarding which one of Google's messaging/chat/video services is still relevant and that they need to be monitoring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Smeef posted:

Another entry in the annals of unnecessary tech company name changes and "wtf is up with jack dorsey", Square is changing its name to Block. Apparently they also now own Tidal and something called TBD54566975 (no joke), which I assume is an extraterrestrial being of pure energy.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/12/1/22812752/square-changing-name-block-jack-dorsey-cash-app-tidal-crypto-spiral

That sucks about Tidal

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
Oh no who could have foreseen this

https://twitter.com/chadloder/status/1466157557131608064?s=20

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Well that was quick.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Motronic posted:

Well that was quick.

Literally started hours after the announcement. Twitter is effectively dead as a way to expose the Alt-Right.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

CommieGIR posted:

Literally started hours after the announcement. Twitter is effectively dead as a way to expose the Alt-Right.

Which is hilarious because I monitor a lot of RWM (and started a thread about it) and, to a person, they're all bitching about how this is a big attempt to further cancel and censor nazis like themselves.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

BiggerBoat posted:

Which is hilarious because I monitor a lot of RWM (and started a thread about it) and, to a person, they're all bitching about how this is a big attempt to further cancel and censor nazis like themselves.

Which is funny because its hitting Right Wing monitoring groups far more.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

Which is funny because its hitting Right Wing monitoring groups far more.

Yeah..."funny". Or hilarious like I said.

Not sure how much more humor I can take tbh

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Now we have to see if this works for people trying to fox leftist and trans people

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

BigRed0427 posted:

Now we have to see if this works for people trying to fox leftist and trans people

It never has. Worth noting Twitter continues to treat sexual threats to trans people as "No big deal"

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
I hope this is the timeline where these the inflex points/decline points of both Zuckbook and Birdsite into the grave.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

BeeSeeBee posted:

The FBI is as confused as the rest of us regarding which one of Google's messaging/chat/video services is still relevant and that they need to be monitoring.

Google's privacy model: By the time a subpoena goes out the product it refers to won't exist anymore.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Motronic posted:

Well that was quick.

CommieGIR posted:

I know that article confirms everyone's preconceived notions about the new Twitter changes this week, but it's two months old, and therefore doesn't have anything at all to do with this week's Twitter changes.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I did not have “Jack leaves Twitter and it immediately becomes more fash-friendly” on my list of predictions for 2021.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Platystemon posted:

I did not have “Jack leaves Twitter and it immediately becomes more fash-friendly” on my list of predictions for 2021.

What's the last thing you can recall that went from more to less fash-friendly?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Epic High Five posted:

The furry community claims to have done this.

I cannot verify these claims.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Platystemon posted:

The furry community claims to have done this.

I cannot verify these claims.

This is true at least, took one of the fur nazis literally trying to chemical attack a con but they did push them out

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Epic High Five posted:

Maybe movies/hollywood? Lemme me check and get back to you though cause that's a good loving question.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Mister Facetious posted:

A friend of mine I wouldn't normally consider as cynical as I am says it's a ploy to get free overtime from their workers and/or rent-seek a bailout from the Government of the United States of America (insert "you're either with us or Putin!" rhetoric here). :911:

Lol if you think that the US Gov would bail out musk after SpaceX has embarrassed ULA.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Volmarias posted:

Lol if you think that the US Gov would bail out musk after SpaceX has embarrassed ULA.

I said Virgin Galactic still exists. v:shrug:v

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Mister Facetious posted:

I said Virgin Galactic still exists. v:shrug:v

They can't get to orbit

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Epic High Five posted:

Games workshop perhaps? They pretty recently published a letter addressed at fascists who like the Imperium that went just short of "YOU loving MORONS" repeated in all caps.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
italy

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
The Internet as a whole just seems to have made spreading right-wing propaganda and lies that much easier, and could possibly be the main reason for the rightward shift worldwide. Especially in the last couple years with many people apparently not finding anything better to do but sit at home and be indoctrinated by Qanon garbage, etc. The lack of moderation on social media or any attempt to curb this by libertarian tech bros I'm sure hasn't helped.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Mercury_Storm posted:

The Internet as a whole just seems to have made spreading right-wing propaganda and lies that much easier, and could possibly be the main reason for the rightward shift worldwide. Especially in the last couple years with many people apparently not finding anything better to do but sit at home and be indoctrinated by Qanon garbage, etc. The lack of moderation on social media or any attempt to curb this by libertarian tech bros I'm sure hasn't helped.

I would argue that it isn't the internet per se that is the issue, but rather how the internet has been shaped by unfettered capitalism into a highly effective tool for amplifying these things.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Mercury_Storm posted:

Is there a rightward shift?

At least on culture war stuff it seems like their internet presence is the result of the massive ground they lost. Like a lot of fringe right wing opinions are base standard mainstream ideas from a few decades ago. Like they didn't need to fight for the ideas because they were the assumed default 'everyone' thought and now they actually lost enough they actually are fighting.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

There Bias Two posted:

I would argue that it isn't the internet per se that is the issue, but rather how the internet has been shaped by unfettered capitalism into a highly effective tool for amplifying these things.

I think that talk radio set the table and the internet served up the main course. There are now generations of people who grew up listening to Rush Limbaugh and watching FOX News and poo poo

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Is there a rightward shift?

I think so. Maybe not in sheers numbers/percentages but certainly in intensity. January 6th, redistricting, banning teaching CRT, calling for armed teachers, investigating "election fraud" and now this SCOTUS abortion case are all happening. Members of Q are seated in congress, calling Omar a terrorist, advocating for killing Pelosi and AOC and 3%ers and such are serving openly as cops who are shooting people in wheelchairs now and brandishing their cop cars with Punisher stickers. They're dug in pretty hard, mad at everything, coughing on people in stores and their reps have totally packed the courts over the last 10-20 years.

Rittenhouse walked so carrying illegal guns across state lines to commit murder is fine. The flag has been entirely co-opted and is used as symbolic justification and/or validation of ones opinions just by virtue of flying one. It's also been changed (thin blue line) when the original one doesn't do the trick so now cops who pull you over only need glance at your rear windshield/bumper to ascertain that you are one of the good ones

Sorry...not really tech nightmare related and I know we have other threads for these topics but I'm just saying.

I'm aware enough of a strong rightward shift to be somewhere between very concerned and absolutely terrified but admit that my perception may be clouded by where I live (NE FL).

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

BiggerBoat posted:

I think so. Maybe not in sheers numbers/percentages but certainly in intensity. January 6th, redistricting, banning teaching CRT, calling for armed teachers, investigating "election fraud" and now this SCOTUS abortion case are all happening. Members of Q are seated in congress, calling Omar a terrorist, advocating for killing Pelosi and AOC and 3%ers and such are serving openly as cops who are shooting people in wheelchairs now and brandishing their cop cars with Punisher stickers. They're dug in pretty hard, mad at everything, coughing on people in stores and their reps have totally packed the courts over the last 10-20 years.

I feel like that stuff was true in the past, and now only comes up because they have lost enough ground people actually need to fight to keep it true, instead of in the past where everyone just went "yeah? shooting black people, good, do that, also everyone agrees we shouldn't have female politicians right? we all unanimous on that one? yeah?" Like it's only as that sort of stuff stopped being the absolute mainstream that it had to act as a fringe group. Didn't need to fight for it when everyone thought it, now it's losing so they have to battle to hold on.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

There Bias Two posted:

the internet equalizes all messages, left or right, valid or batshit. we're more fearful of the right gaining power but over in chudland they're equally lamenting the coming left-antifa alliance who bans meat and forces everyone to worship obama

the stronger and weirder a message is, the more attractive it is to retweet for engagement. nobody likes boring and reasonable posts

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

There Bias Two posted:

My opinion on it is that it's squarely the fault of social media content farms (facebook, twitter, youtube, etc) going all in on AI driven algorithms to maximize ad viewing. Everything they looked into told them that having hateful, scared, unhinged, and rightwing content be the forefront made them the most money, so they amplified it a thousand fold to keep people watching.

Especially with facebook's leaked documents, we have real proof that they knew the damage they were doing across their platforms, studied it, studied what would happen if they turned off those algorithms (they'd lose engagement/watch time, and thus money), and chose money over anything else.

Youtube still has a right wing content pipeline for new accounts and their algorithm will funnel anyone they can towards hate speech, white supremacy, and Q-style culture conspiracy unless you actively curate your own "account fingerprint" to avoid being recommended that poo poo. Even then, they'll keep trying every so often to see if you'll slip into that rabbit hole.

Turn off the algorithms, and go back to the early web where you have to look for poo poo yourself, and I bet you that this poo poo disappears overnight. Hell, half the fuckers stoking these fires only care about their paychecks anyway for promoting this crap.

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

the internet equalizes all messages, left or right, valid or batshit. we're more fearful of the right gaining power but over in chudland they're equally lamenting the coming left-antifa alliance who bans meat and forces everyone to worship obama

the stronger and weirder a message is, the more attractive it is to retweet for engagement. nobody likes boring and reasonable posts

This is demonstrably false.

Crain fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Dec 3, 2021

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

The problem is that they're going to lament the coming of the antifa Marxism communism atheism anarchists or whatever the gently caress no matter what is actually happening. It's all horseshit, and we know it is. They're going to scream at the top of their lungs about being "censored" despite being treated with kid gloves, and we know that they are because there's been plenty of leaked documents from Facebook etc. It's not the stronger and weirder, it's the more enraging and hateful the content is that gets engagement, and as long as no one seriously suggesting any kind of regulation has the power to do it, it won't stop.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I feel like that stuff was true in the past, and now only comes up because they have lost enough ground people actually need to fight to keep it true, instead of in the past where everyone just went "yeah? shooting black people, good, do that, also everyone agrees we shouldn't have female politicians right? we all unanimous on that one? yeah?" Like it's only as that sort of stuff stopped being the absolute mainstream that it had to act as a fringe group. Didn't need to fight for it when everyone thought it, now it's losing so they have to battle to hold on.

I think that's a lot of it, having actual video of poo poo people were complaining about but no one believed could really be that bad has been a pretty big change, but I think you're right that what we quietly defaults beliefs are now being dragged into the open and we see the defensiveness about their exposure.

That doesn't change that, legislatively, we're in a period of backlash that seems to be culminating in authoritarian control. Trump showed that, in the U.S., much of what we assumed were bedrock ideas didn't count whatsoever when no one will back them up. We're going to see Roe v. Wade overturned regardless of how insane any legal arguments are, along with any other decision coming down in a 6-3 (or 5-4 if they want to pretend Roberts has a conscience once in a while) decision that lmao gently caress your laws we'll just do whatever. We had an honest to goodness coup attempt last year that only failed because Trump is literally incompetent at everything he does, and half the country has just shrugged and thrown its hands in the air, or openly defended it, when 50 years ago Nixon resigned rather than be impeached for the strong implication of criminal acts. Just wild, previously batshit stuff like making your fail children heads of important state positions, insisting that you're actually smarter and better than everyone, actual dictator poo poo, and we're only going to see more of it as time goes on and the concept of actual representation disappears.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Like Crain, I also greatly disagree with this. Right wing propaganda is many times easier and cheaper to spread, and people seem to take to it like heroin. I would love if facts and logic would have an equal shot by default but this has not been the case.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Crain posted:

My opinion on it is that it's squarely the fault of social media content farms (facebook, twitter, youtube, etc) going all in on AI driven algorithms to maximize ad viewing. Everything they looked into told them that having hateful, scared, unhinged, and rightwing content be the forefront made them the most money, so they amplified it a thousand fold to keep people watching.

Especially with facebook's leaked documents, we have real proof that they knew the damage they were doing across their platforms, studied it, studied what would happen if they turned off those algorithms (they'd lose engagement/watch time, and thus money), and chose money over anything else.

Youtube still has a right wing content pipeline for new accounts and their algorithm will funnel anyone they can towards hate speech, white supremacy, and Q-style culture conspiracy unless you actively curate your own "account fingerprint" to avoid being recommended that poo poo. Even then, they'll keep trying every so often to see if you'll slip into that rabbit hole.

Turn off the algorithms, and go back to the early web where you have to look for poo poo yourself, and I bet you that this poo poo disappears overnight. Hell, half the fuckers stoking these fires only care about their paychecks anyway for promoting this crap.

This is demonstrably false.

Turning off search and viewing history (followed by blacklisting hundreds of channels every year) best thing i ever did on YouTube.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Volmarias posted:

The problem is that they're going to lament the coming of the antifa Marxism communism atheism anarchists or whatever the gently caress no matter what is actually happening.

right, and how bad is doomerism on our side as well? or are our fears valid because we're rational people and those fuckers over there are just dumb and crazy

introspection is always more difficult than launching external criticism

e: think of it this way - nobody is so good and smart and emotionally stable that constant immersion in social media isn't corrosive to them. its wild to me how many people know and constantly say out loud that twitter is a horrible website and yet, they still use it compulsively

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Dec 3, 2021

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

right, and how bad is doomerism on our side as well? or are our fears valid because we're rational people and those fuckers over there are just dumb and crazy

It's simply a fundamentally different problem?

Left-wing doomerism a la climate change is completely different from right-wing hate mobs going after a poll worker they think "overturned the election" because the left wing doomer can't lynch CO2 out of the atmosphere.

These things can be problems without being comparable. Right wing hate propaganda creates lynch mobs and death threats for their targets, left wing doomerism creates....nihilists? Who just doom post online or otherwise withdraw from society?

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Mister Facetious posted:

Turning off search and viewing history (followed by blacklisting hundreds of channels every year) best thing i ever did on YouTube.

My YouTube channel is decent for just this reason. I still get random suggestions for new videos from JustAskingQuestions1488 from time to time (probably because I follow Forgotten Weapons and the algorithm thinks I like all gun stuff) but there’s a button to not suggest more videos from this channel and it works okay.

E: I just popped into the YouTube app and the first 10 videos are random video game nerd poo poo, a Forgotten Weapons from 5 years ago, and a Bad Religion song.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Dec 3, 2021

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

goatsestretchgoals posted:

My YouTube channel is decent for just this reason. I still get random suggestions for new videos from JustAskingQuestions1488 from time to time (probably because I follow Forgotten Weapons and the algorithm thinks I like all gun stuff) but there’s a button to not suggest more videos from this channel and it works okay.

Part of me wonders if having a much older account, from the early days of YouTube, changes the algorithms effects. Maybe having a decade of random meme videos from dead channels makes it unable to affect the averages for what to suggest.

That said I can still tell when it thinks I'm ready to get pushed into a new rabbit hole. Watch one puzzle video to figure out a hanayama puzzle and now it thinks I want hours long bespoke puzzle "let's plays" and card trick channels. Or watch a video on how to fix a door jam and it thinks I'm looking for off grid cabin life videos about making a backwood cabin out of pallets.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Dec 3, 2021

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Platystemon posted:

https://twitter.com/StephenAtHome/status/1465857691818106891

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

e: think of it this way - nobody is so good and smart and emotionally stable that constant immersion in social media isn't corrosive to them. its wild to me how many people know and constantly say out loud that twitter is a horrible website and yet, they still use it compulsively

I mean you're gonna have to define what you mean by doomerism to get an answer to that, because sometimes (rarely) it means "constant panic about everything that could possibly theoretically happen" and sometimes (usually) it means "doesn't believe Biden can or will fix some pretty serious immediate problems we're facing". It's a weird comparison in either case for the reasons Crain noted.