Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
messi_knessi is going to be shocked when he finds out we've been laughing at his full "in context" comments for that past 5,000 pages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
What is gish gallop and why do they keep saying it?

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

thatguy posted:

quote:

The Gish Gallop (also known as proof by verbosity[1]) is the fallacious debate tactic of drowning your opponent in a flood of individually-weak arguments in order to prevent rebuttal of the whole argument collection without great effort. The Gish Gallop is a belt-fed version of the on the spot fallacy, as it's unreasonable for anyone to have a well-composed answer immediately available to every argument present in the Gallop. The Gish Gallop is named after creationist Duane Gish, who often abused it.
Although it takes a trivial amount of effort on the Galloper's part to make each individual point before skipping on to the next (especially if they cite from a pre-concocted list of Gallop arguments), a refutation of the same Gallop may likely take much longer and require significantly more effort (per the basic principle that it's always easier to make a mess than to clean it back up again).
The tedium inherent in untangling a Gish Gallop typically allows for very little "creative license" or vivid rhetoric (in deliberate contrast to the exciting point-dashing central to the Galloping), which in turn risks boring the audience or readers, further loosening the refuter's grip on the crowd.
This is especially true in that the Galloper need only win a single one out of all his component arguments in order to be able to cast doubt on the entire refutation attempt. For this reason, the refuter must achieve a 100% success ratio (with all the yawn-inducing elaboration that goes with such precision). Thus, Gish Galloping is frequently employed (with particularly devastating results) in timed debates. The same is true for any time- or character-limited debate medium, including Twitter and newspaper editorials.
Examples of Gish Gallops are commonly found online, in crank "list" articles that claim to show "X hundred reasons for (or against) Y". At the highest levels of verbosity, with dozens upon dozens or even hundreds of minor arguments interlocking, each individual "reason" is — upon closer inspection — likely to consist of a few sentences at best.
Gish Gallops are almost always performed with numerous other logical fallacies baked in. The myriad component arguments constituting the Gallop may typically intersperse a few perfectly uncontroversial claims — the basic validity of which are intended to lend undue credence to the Gallop at large — with a devious hodgepodge of half-truths, outright lies, red herrings and straw men — which, if not rebutted as the fallacies they are, pile up into egregious problems for the refuter.
There may also be escape hatches or "gotcha" arguments present in the Gallop, which are — like the Gish Gallop itself — specifically designed to be brief to pose, yet take a long time to unravel and refute.
However, Gish Gallops aren't impossible to defeat — just tricky (not to say near-impossible for the unprepared). Upon closer inspection, many of the allegedly stand-alone component arguments may turn out to be nothing but thinly-veiled repetitions or simple rephrasings of the same basic points — which only makes the list taller, not more correct (hence; "proof by verbosity"). This essential flaw in the Gallop means that a skilled rebuttal of one component argument may in fact be a rebuttal to many.

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Gish_Gallop

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

thatguy posted:

the way they all latch onto weird sayings like that (and things like FUD) really makes me thinks it's a small number of people with multiple accounts

also, there's no way someone with a username like messi_knessi isn't into some weird deviantart fetish poo poo

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Milky Moor posted:

the way they all latch onto weird sayings like that (and things like FUD) really makes me thinks it's a small number of people with multiple accounts

also, there's no way someone with a username like messi_knessi isn't into some weird deviantart fetish poo poo
Well none of them seem to understand how to use hyphens but then again neither did Man of Many Alia... oh my god.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Redditors use the term as if it were an actual logical fallacy which invalidates the entire argument . Often it is a way to dismiss whatever the person is saying, so you can go back to making fun of them and circle jerking with your internet friends. It started to get used more and more as redditors got obsessed with SJWs and politics. The person using isn't interested in engaging with what the other person has to say, or if it has any merit. It is basically just another Facts U Dislike.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah I know all that both NMS and ED are released but they still lack compared with what Star Citizen already offers in graphical quality, player interactivity and depth of gameplay (you are still a vehicle and not a actual player in Elite and in NMS there is online that I'm aware)

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Mr Fronts posted:

David Braben: Click "BUY CARGO". Your inventory list will show the cargo. Click LAUNCH.

Shitizens: That's not fidelitous at all.

David Braben: Sorry. Can't hear you. Already on my way to the next station.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
Isn't some guy named Cradle Robin a regular poster there?
:lol:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Lladre posted:

Please do not invite old school commander here. my scrolling thumb is already tired.

Wait. Thumb?!

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

thatguy posted:

notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT

Tippis posted:

Wait. Thumb?!

Mobile user supremacy, never even saw that gross green CSS for April fool's.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

notoriousman posted:

Mobile user supremacy, never even saw that gross green CSS for April fool's.

:same:

Abuminable
Mar 30, 2017

Now, aside from the Abuminable, business goes on as usual.

Sarsapariller posted:

In not-trolling-the-new-people news,

Reported. Reason: Trolling people who have only refunded once. :roflolmao:

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot
deleting because samizdata is a loving retard and deserves to be banned

nawledgelambo fucked around with this message at 04:34 on May 7, 2017

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Somebody fucked around with this message at 18:59 on May 7, 2017

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

:negative: why does this keep happening

Tokyo Sexwale fucked around with this message at 04:23 on May 7, 2017

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
what the duck is wrong with you people.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

OldSchoolCmdr posted:

If I were a betting man, I would bet that you had no knowledge of the existence of the original July 3rd blog on Tumblr because it was never advertised, nor propagated, or shared. I came across it via a proprietary deep search tool that uses phrases and heuristics to match data patterns from a deep scan stored local repository (a data dump, if you will). It creates a visualization of the data, with interconnected links. In this case, the data patterns revealed an orphaned context (that's why you can't find that Tumblr blog easily on Google) in a separate branch. Expanding that branch took me to the blank Tumblr page with no data, because he had wiped it, moved it elsewhere, and left a redirecting link and message. From that point (this was last weekend), I was able to put together a timeline of the creation of that "War Genesis" (as I refer to it in my notes) blog, which enabled me to link it to it's second publication on Reaxxion, and which had a different article headline. This enabled me to adjust my own timeline to show that the blog was not originally published on July 6th (the date on the website and Reaxxion), but on July 3rd.

Also, Dr. Smart's own blog and social posts detailing the early days, has various statements by him that he was working on the blog "through the July 4th holidays", that he had "reached out to Chris Roberts and peers" etc. To anyone, that would have meant that he worked on it, then published it on July 6th. But as a basis of fact, he wrote and published it that same holiday weekend; just as he had stated. That discovery finally brought context and consistency to my knowledge of the facts surrounding that original blog.

Derek, from now on you're HONOR-BOUND to say: "As I wrote on my July 3rd blog". Do the right thing!

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Lladre posted:

what the duck is wrong with you people.

we have strayed far from I.N.R.Is light

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Oh hey it's one of those :wtchris: moments :v:

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
OldSchoolCmdr more like DrDerekSmart

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
How insane is Derek. Is FYAD right that housing someone this mentally unbalanced is possibly a bad idea?

Abuminable
Mar 30, 2017

milk milk lemonade posted:

OldSchoolCmdr more like DrDerekSmart

Impossible.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
Other Interests: da ladies, politics, ladies, religions,ladies, video games, animation, comic, ladies, and da ladies

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

thatguy posted:

Other Interests: da ladies, politics, ladies, religions,ladies, video games, animation, comic, ladies, and da ladies

Switch ladies with video games and that's you doxxing me!

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
I doubt that's actually the same guy from r/ds but I'm looking forward to the QCS thread anyway.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

thatguy posted:

I doubt that's actually the same guy from r/ds but I'm looking forward to the QCS thread anyway.

:same:

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot

thatguy posted:

yeap

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I have used a proprietary deep search tool that uses phrases and heuristics to match data patterns from a deep scan stored local repository to determine that ain't the same knessi.

gently caress me! the dancey cat is the one supposed to be snipping all the pages!

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

thatguy posted:

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
days since the star citizen thread has hosed up: 0

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
They use gish-gallop as tl;dr but it's not the same thing

Abuminable
Mar 30, 2017

starkebn posted:

They use gish-gallop as tl;dr but it's not the same thing

if you write as much as OSC does in a post and it's not a massive DS takedown, then it's obviously gish-gallop [sic].

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Just viewed a reddit post with a title like "should CIG give us an offline mode of 3.0 so we can have good fps now network is pushed back"

Those answers - wow - predominately "NO! we are only testing not playing the game!"

If that is true, why are any of the ships locked behind a pay-wall, don't they want all the ships tested?

The spergs thinking are truly broken.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Star Citizen: Chris waves his hands like gish gallop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

Finally he took out the hyphen. At least he learned one thing.