Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ALEX TRILLTON
Sep 9, 2011

IF I'M EVER A DICK ON THE INTERNET, TELL PAULSEPHIROTH'S MOM
I was really confused why everyone was insisting that Jade dying wasn't a big deal since I saw the luck 8br8k in conjunction with the death panel. I'm still really confused how her death counts as just, though, unless Grimbark Jade is evil by dint of her inhibition being turned off, which kind of makes sense, to be perfectly honest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

It's not just. The clock broke down on 'Just', and that counts. It's a lucky break. See also: Vriska's death, where the clock broke on 'Just' and that counted as well.

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

TUMBLR IS BURNING.

...:munch:

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Cabbit posted:

Seems to imply that Jane could resurrect people even while dead (including herself, I'd bet).

... you know, in hindsight, maybe that's what her dreamself did that one time when Jack stabbed her. That might have been her one auto-rez, hard to say.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
There's a brief flash of Serket eye before it ticks to Just, so I'm pretty sure they're cheating.

Cabbit posted:

Potentially even if Aranea kills her, too. Remember, a dead God Tier Feferi was able to heal the Mayor, and Aranea was able to heal Terezi despite being dead. Seems to imply that Jane could resurrect people even while dead (including herself, I'd bet).

Didn't Jane already resurrect herself after her session's Jack stabbed her? I wonder if the one-time Life resurrection rule applies to herself as well.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

I'd bet not, what with her being made of life. I'm still anticipating a big ghost jailbreak at some point, though, and Jane being dead and resurrecting all of the ghosts she can find would be a good vehicle for that.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

You know what would be hilarious? If the clock interference wasn't Aranea's doing, but Vriska's. She steals the luck of the clock, suddenly her own clock starts working again, she rezzes, and she goes and chews Aranea out.

I mean, it would be terrible from a story point of view, but I would laugh.

attackbunny
May 1, 2009
So which Serket just permakilled Jade? Lucky 8r8ks are Vriska's area, so are they collaborating to achieve new heights of 8itchery?

If John doesn't retcon this I will freak out beyond all previous definitions of freaking out.

ETA:

Bobulus posted:

You know what would be hilarious? If the clock interference wasn't Aranea's doing, but Vriska's. She steals the luck of the clock, suddenly her own clock starts working again, she rezzes, and she goes and chews Aranea out.

I mean, it would be terrible from a story point of view, but I would laugh.
Vriska's clock starts working again, swings slowly into Heroic, back into Just, and then stops again. Because Serket death is always justified.

attackbunny fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Sep 14, 2013

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Vriska's eyes are pale-white at the moment, it's Aranea who has the spider-eye. She just used her powers (or her natural good luck) to get the clock to break the direction she wanted it to.

Still not really feeling much at this, since we've still got Jane who can revive her, or - more importantly - John who can just retcon her back to life.

John's retcon power could probably bring her back even if she was double-killed by Lord English, and it's always an option until he either loses the power or the story ends.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Oh no. Jade died. Now she will have to find some other way to get revived instead of just God Tier-reviving but who cares, death is meaningless in Homestuck.

Rooreelooo
Sep 29, 2007

"Ask not what Spiral Mountain can do for you; ask what you can do for Spiral Mountain."
I wonder if killing a god tier is important for aranea, in a way other than just getting crazyjade out of the picture. In one of aranea's bigass rambles, she implied that god tier resurrection powers draw from the same well as cherub sex snake energy. Maybe by killing one of them and then subverting the resurrection process, it diverts the energy elsewhere? If we assume that everything aranea revealed in previous exposition would go on to be relevant (a pretty big if, but still) then the 'enigmatic forces presiding over all that is eternal, and perme8ting all those endowed with immortality' can't be something that just get mentioned once and then dropped forever.

Or maybe john will just retcon this whole segment, that too.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Rooreelooo posted:

Or maybe john will just retcon this whole segment, that too.
Yeah, I get the feeling that the big anticlimax will be just when it looks like Aranea will have assumed full control of the session John will zap back to the moment Gamzee took the ring and prevent her from reviving in the first place.

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!

Dorroile posted:

Oh no. Jade died. Now she will have to find some other way to get revived instead of just God Tier-reviving but who cares, death is meaningless in Homestuck.

Hussie knowing that this is exactly what everyone is thinking is what I'm afraid of.

Fans: "Pfff, Homestuck has rendered death irrelevant, this doesn't mean anything. :smuggo:"

Hussie: "Hahaha, the trap is sprung!"

And Jade is dead for super realsies. :arghfist::qq:

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

JT Jag posted:

This is kind of dumb.

Yeah, I'm not really feeling this.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I got like, ZERO tension for Jade, but I'm actually kinda worried for Jane right now, since she used up her one shot self-reviving already.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Eh, I'm pretty sure that Jade is going to be back some way or another down the line and even if she don't, can't say that I'm gonna miss her. At this point the only characters who I like are the Strider bros and Karkat.

I'll be really surprised if Jade's death stick if only for the massive backlash that Hussie will suffer by the fandom though, and is actually nice that the story is going forward and someone is getting poo poo done.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

Hussie knowing that this is exactly what everyone is thinking is what I'm afraid of.

Fans: "Pfff, Homestuck has rendered death irrelevant, this doesn't mean anything. :smuggo:"

Hussie: "Hahaha, the trap is sprung!"

And Jade is dead for super realsies. :arghfist::qq:
This made me realize that I don't really care about any of the characters anymore. Even if Jade is never revived or otherwise part of the story. Don't mind. I'm curious about the story itself -- how he will wrap up this clusterfuck of time-travel predestination bullshit, invincible all-murdering Lord English, etc. Not the characters, who I can't take as anything more than story props at this point. It's been too meta.

Okay, I lied. I still care about the Mayor. But that's all.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Cat Mattress posted:

This made me realize that I don't really care about any of the characters anymore. Even if Jade is never revived or otherwise part of the story. Don't mind. I'm curious about the story itself -- how he will wrap up this clusterfuck of time-travel predestination bullshit, invincible all-murdering Lord English, etc. Not the characters, who I can't take as anything more than story props at this point. It's been too meta.

Yeah, this is how i'm starting to feel too, which kind of sucks.

Martini Mice-Cream
Feb 17, 2011
Man you guys talking about caring for the Mayor, I miss the times when WV was an actual character instead just being some living plush toy/pet for troubled teenagers.

Hremsfeld posted:

TUMBLR IS BURNING.

...:munch:

I wonder which Serket will end up being the most hated when this strip is all done and over with.

Martini Mice-Cream fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Sep 14, 2013

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

In what way is it just for anybody to be killed by a Serket?

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Yeah that was mostly just... sort of dull. Anticlimactic really.

Oh, she died. Oh ok. It's for real? Er, okay I guess. Not sure what narrative point that particularly has, at all.

Snollygoster
Dec 17, 2002

what a scoop

Cat Mattress posted:

I can't make myself react to Jade dying. Yeah, OK. She can't resurrect from being God tier. So what? Jane can revive her or she can wear the Ring of Life. Even if those two things don't happen, we've seen that death doesn't rob you of agency in this story any more.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
I've been saying "Death is irrelevant" since god drat Act 5 and I still feel quite a bit of tension in this story and care for all of the characters. The difference is that I'm no longer invested in their survival, which I take as a given (like all of you, now), but rather in their development and how they're going to work through this mess. Right now, the pressing issue isn't IF Jade's going to come back but HOW, and at what consequence to the rest of the story. Also, what consequences will be borne out of the destruction of her home?

Also, will Rose ever give up her alcoholism?

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!

Cat Mattress posted:

It's been too meta.

This is one of the things that really dampens how much I like Homestuck (thought I still like it). Back when it was just the original four kids and the trolls, Homestuck was a story, and it was weird and non-linear and goofy and self-aware. But it was still a story and I liked it.

Homestuck to me doesn't feel like a story by this point, it feels like a game, being played between Hussie and the fans.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Zorak posted:

Yeah that was mostly just... sort of dull. Anticlimactic really.

Oh, she died. Oh ok. It's for real? Er, okay I guess. Not sure what narrative point that particularly has, at all.

I think that's sort of the point. This isn't the climax, of course it's anticlimactic. This is Aranea screwing everything up.

senseinobu
Jul 28, 2008

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

This is one of the things that really dampens how much I like Homestuck (thought I still like it). Back when it was just the original four kids and the trolls, Homestuck was a story, and it was weird and non-linear and goofy and self-aware. But it was still a story and I liked it.

Homestuck to me doesn't feel like a story by this point, it feels like a game, being played between Hussie and the fans.
Actually I'm fairly certain it's always been a game between Hussie and the fans. Remember the whole command submission thing.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Cabbit posted:

I think that's sort of the point. This isn't the climax, of course it's anticlimactic. This is Aranea screwing everything up.

It's Aranea trying to fast-forward to her victory, which is something that has never ended well for any of the characters that have tried it, and also something that Hussie specifically in-canon admonishes Caliborn for doing and for attempting to impose on the Alpha kids. The inevitable Nemesis from her Hubris is going to be MUCH more climatic, but even that won't be anywhere near the true climax.

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!

senseinobu posted:

Actually I'm fairly certain it's always been a game between Hussie and the fans. Remember the whole command submission thing.

I guess it's just like what Cat Mattress said. Everyone and everything feels like a story prop.

It's like watching a movie with the commentary always on. Sometimes you don't give a poo poo about what's going on behind the scenes, you just want to watch the loving movie!

Basically, Homestuck wasn't meant for me.

Edit:
VVV

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

But then it was a game who's scope was "Hey, help these kids/idiots figure out how to stay alive/beat the thing/wear better outfits" now the game is "Look how convoluted and meta and anticlimatic I can make this and then lets see how you react so I know how to push it more."

Yes, exactly! It feels like Hussie trying to play mind games with the audience through the context of the story.

ThisIsNoZaku fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Sep 14, 2013

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
I'm really curious how Aranea can control the resurrection process. Is it because she's a Sylph or is it because Hussie loves his spidertrolls being able to break reality? Either way there's no way Jade's death is really just and I'm sure she'll be back.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

McStephenson posted:

I'm pretty sure Hussie has us where he wants us: not having any value in Jade's death.

He's going to do some bullshit, make it stick, take her out of the story and everyone's going to get punched in the gut.

Just saying.

Well there's Step 1, "some bullshit". Let's see where this goes.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
This death in particular feels like nonsense because it is in no way, shape, or form actually relevant to Jade's character arc. It's just, like, "Oops?"

If I were to guess where Hussie was going with this, it's that the characters were currently "stuck" in the sense that they really had no hope (ha) left. Aranea actually lays it all out at the very start; by successfully creating that universe, Caliborn and later Lord English will come into existence. So HIC is going to "win" (and then lose) as things stands. This is her idea of a shake-up.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

senseinobu posted:

But then it was a game who's scope was "Hey, help these kids/idiots figure out how to stay alive/beat the thing/wear better outfits" now the game is "Look how convoluted and meta and anticlimatic I can make this and then lets see how you react so I know how to push it more."

EDIT:
VVV Not that sounds about right. Homestuck feels like it has 1000000 main characters because there's no real focus on any one person or group of people, and because of that it suffers from being meandering as all hell and because of THAT what should be the build up to the climax of the story, the pay off of years of comics, is actually just more of that meandering plot that feels like it's going nowhere, where characters slowly become parodies of themselves and the author goes out of his way to react to and make fun of his fans and their reactions, which just slows down everything even more.

HS desperately desperately needed an editor, and I hope Hussie has someone who can help reign in some of his bigger ideas for that HS video game.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Sep 14, 2013

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
My thoughts on Homestuck feel like they make no sense, but basically: I feel like Homestuck is in decline, and has been since Act 6. I don't care about a lot of the characters (the only new character I actually really enjoy right now is Roxy), and I'm starting to care less and less about older characters (it's getting to the point where the only troll I care about is Karkat, even though Vriska was the most interesting for a very long time.) I still really enjoy the B1 kids, and wish there was more content focused primarily on them, so a lot of the recent events are fun. That said, I also feel like the mind control sequence was a huge mistake and a massive waste of time. It lead to some interesting events, but I don't know, I feel like Homestuck should be winding down right now, or at least approaching a climax, but it just isn't. It's dragging on and on and I just can't care about a lot of these newer developments.

All that makes sense on its own, but is intensely contradictory to the fact that I really enjoy individual scenes or updates, probably as much as I ever have. It's...weird. I don't know.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

People hating on the comic? Quick, inject some Vriskachat!

So do you guys think this confirms that the clocks control the godtier resurrections and thus it was Slick smashing up the clock that caused Vriska's death to be Just?* It seems to indicate that to me, but maybe it could just be a representation still....

*ignoring whether it would have been otherwise.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

HS desperately desperately needed an editor, and I hope Hussie has someone who can help reign in some of his bigger ideas for that HS video game.

I wasn't even kidding when I said the HS game is probably going to be like an Icepick Lodge thing where if there's any enjoyment to be gleaned it's despite the game itself.

See, for instance - Pathalogic

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Jade is going to go to the afterlife, train in the time chamber, and learn the 4x Kaioken and come back and fight Vegeta Jake again.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

For serious, I'm predicting Jane dies next. Aranea still needs to build up more Hubris.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I really like Jade. My rankings of the characters is pretty much act 1 kids > act 6 kids >>>>>>>> trolls >> just about everyone else, and I'm gonna be pissed if this sticks.

It seems obvious that it won't but that may be just what Hussie WANTS you to think :tinfoil:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
You all laughed at me back in the middle of Jakechat! You called my criticisms mad! Well, WHO'S LAUGHING NOW!? Aaaaaah ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha haaaaa!

The never-ending procession of new characters and the plot branches they bring with them just keeps growing, and it's bludgeoned the original "plot" of this thing into incoherence. Like what that other guy said, the main reason I tune in now is just to see how this lumbering monster of a story ends. And Karkat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

I'm still laughing at you. The whole 'I don't care/the characters aren't compelling/etc/etc' folk are always the sort who keep rabidly following despite their own vehemence.

poo poo's not supposed to make too much sense right now. Aranea is explicitly trying to mess poo poo up. Just sit back and enjoy the ride.

Cabbit fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Sep 14, 2013