Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Lol do you work at a repair shop or in an office? I will never understand why people lie or hide the whole truth

The kind of truth: This computer doesn't boot please diagnose.

The full truth: I dropped this fucker down the stairs because it was originally running slow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

Entropic posted:

Would it surprise you to learn that the machine does not, in fact, boot?

Are you not allowed to refuse service for mistreated equipment?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

mewse posted:

Are you not allowed to refuse service for mistreated equipment?

He has to diagnose. Otherwise how would we get these pictures?

mewse
May 2, 2006

*pretends to fix computer while carefully placing in recycling pile*

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
Meraki is doing "attend a webinar get a free* piece of Meraki equipment" thing again, this time with a cloud managed switch! Last time it was an MR16 AP, this time it's an MS220-8P (https://meraki.cisco.com/products/switches/ms220-8)

https://meraki.cisco.com/webinars/signup/1267/introduction-to-cloud-managed-switches?ref=2m7jNNU

Of course you need to sign up with a business e-mail and hope nobody else in your company already did it. The rep I talked to just confirmed my company e-mail address and physical address and didn't seem too concerned about the other "conditions"

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

MF_James posted:

Lol do you work at a repair shop or in an office? I will never understand why people lie or hide the whole truth

The kind of truth: This computer doesn't boot please diagnose.

The full truth: I dropped this fucker down the stairs because it was originally running slow.

I work at a what was originally a repair shop that mostly does onsite setup and support for small businesses now, but we still a fair bit of business in repairs for home users that bring their machines in.
This one is from a guy my boss knows and my boss took it in apparently without even really looking at it.

Ataxerxes posted:

I certainly looks like it has been well and thoroughly booted.
:dadjoke:

I was very surprised when the hard drive actually mounted on my workstation and only shows 'CAUTION' in the SMART health status.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

pr0digal posted:

Meraki is doing "attend a webinar get a free* piece of Meraki equipment" thing again, this time with a cloud managed switch! Last time it was an MR16 AP, this time it's an MS220-8P (https://meraki.cisco.com/products/switches/ms220-8)

https://meraki.cisco.com/webinars/signup/1267/introduction-to-cloud-managed-switches?ref=2m7jNNU

Of course you need to sign up with a business e-mail and hope nobody else in your company already did it. The rep I talked to just confirmed my company e-mail address and physical address and didn't seem too concerned about the other "conditions"

Nice I did this last time, though the unit I got is still sitting in it's box unused. Wonder if the 3 year sub that came with it started then or would start if I used it now.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
This is actually far from the most damaged machine I've seen brought in for diagnosis.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Entropic posted:

This is actually far from the most damaged machine I've seen brought in for diagnosis.

I had a guy walk into my store, slam his laptop down hard enough that it ejected pieces, and claim that we owed him a free new one. That got fun quick, since the security manager was 3 feet away, and the store manager was was about 10 ft farther, so I got to sit back and watch the fireworks.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

A ticket came in... Subject: "Two accounts have the same account ID"

The tech supervisor sent me a screen capture showing the agent going through the sales app and highlighting the account IDs. Okay, so according to this... account #1 is 123455... and account #2 is... 123445.

:cmon:

"These two accounts do not have the same account ID. Ticket resolved."

I mean, I understand misreading things sometimes, but two people had to let this one slip by for it to get to me. And the screen capture clearly shows the agent highlighting both IDs! Our team really shouldn't be getting dumb tickets like this.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Entropic posted:

A desktop computer came in for diagnosis and repair, all I was told while being handed the machine was that it's "not booting".

Right off the bat, I can't help noticing that that case looks a little, well, the worse for wear.

Yeah that's a good several inches of denting there. Back side is the same. It looks like somone bent it over a cinder block and stomped on it, or dropped it down a flight of stairs.

The back was dented in too, enough to press up against the motherboard and pop the RAM out of it's slots. That's a loose DIMM at the bottom right behind the hard drive.

And what's that behind it? It's...

A deoderant stick cap. OK.

Oh and also there was a working bic lighter in there.

Would it surprise you to learn that the machine does not, in fact, boot?

These pictures remind me of a client we used to have at my old job. They had a repair room machine for their plant equipment that only existed to play pirated movies. The employees would torrent them and play them in the background while working on machines. It would regularly come in absolutely hosed with malware or crypto lockered and the standing orders for it were to wipe it, reinstall windows, re-add to the domain and not to ask any questions.

Phrosphor fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Mar 29, 2017

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I'm beginning to loathe the trend towards simpler and less scary error messages. Too many loving apps give errors resembling "Oops! Something went wrong" with not even an error code to actually try and diagnose. At least give me some kind of trailhead to start digging from.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Javid posted:

I'm beginning to loathe the trend towards simpler and less scary error messages. Too many loving apps give errors resembling "Oops! Something went wrong" with not even an error code to actually try and diagnose. At least give me some kind of trailhead to start digging from.

Similarly, the disappearance of progress bars.

"Sit tight while we do 'things'"

Thanks, but I would feel better with something to reassure me that you are actually doing something and not hung

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Rudager posted:

Thanks, but I would feel better with something to reassure me that you are actually doing something and not hung

The worst part here is, HDD lights seem to have gone extinct right about the time SSDs became popular, so you don't get any feedback and can't even listen for the disk scratching.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Progress bars have been poo poo and worthless since the early 2000s when someone decided that a good thing to do was give a progress bar for every step with no indication of how many steps there were, and from there it was just a short journey toward strobing bars that represented nothing at all. The only bar I trust anymore is File Explorer's, and even that only because it comes with a graph.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

The progress 'percentage' whenever I do anything for my router is just updated in a setTimeout(). I swear I've seen it go above 100% before.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Ghostlight posted:

Progress bars have been poo poo and worthless since the early 2000s when someone decided that a good thing to do was give a progress bar for every step with no indication of how many steps there were, and from there it was just a short journey toward strobing bars that represented nothing at all. The only bar I trust anymore is File Explorer's, and even that only because it comes with a graph.

I think it was before that, specifically when installers and the like would show 100% completed and STILL sit there for several minutes.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Worst I've seen is a progress bar where the coder just said to himself "well this process should take roughly 1 minute so I'll just make the progress bar tick up during 1 minute." If the background process was done faster it would still wait the full minute for the progress bar to tick up, otherwise it would just stay at 100% until the process was done.

GigaFuzz
Aug 10, 2009

Collateral Damage posted:

Worst I've seen is a progress bar where the coder just said to himself "well this process should take roughly 1 minute so I'll just make the progress bar tick up during 1 minute." If the background process was done faster it would still wait the full minute for the progress bar to tick up, otherwise it would just stay at 100% until the process was done.

I think it was some of the patches for Battlefield 2 where the progress bar looped.

98% ... 99% ... 100%... 0% ... 1% ...

:argh:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Collateral Damage posted:

This has been a distressingly common tactic throughout computer history. I'd go so far as to say that real progress bars that are updated by actual milestone points in the process have been the minority, at least until fairly recently when frameworks and libraries started providing good hooks for getting progress through callbacks and the like.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Data Graham posted:

This has been a distressingly common tactic throughout computer history.
Don't I know it. We have several jobs at work where one task sends a file off to a third party, expects the third party to process the file within x minutes, then run a task to download the result. If the third party should for whatever reason take longer to process our data, the download task won't find a response and the job will fail.

I've been gradually replacing these with proper integration tasks, but it's been a long process.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

GigaFuzz posted:

I think it was some of the patches for Battlefield 2 where the progress bar looped.

98% ... 99% ... 100%... 0% ... 1% ...

:argh:

I've seen an installer that updated the progress bar whenever it received an idle event or something. Meaning it moved faster if you wiggled the mouse around, but eventually just wrapped if it hadn't finished.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
Showing my age maybe but System 7 on the old Macs had super-reliable progress bars. Installing the system and formatting floppy disks are the two I remember the clearest. Since we reused disks so much, every so often you'd get a bad sector or whatever and instead of the "chk chk chk chk" sound and smooth progress bar, it would pause for a second and give the graunching sound of death. If you heard it twice in a row (system couldn't get past that sector), you'd command-period to cancel it and throw the disk away.

edit: my point was that the progress bars gave you a very good idea of how long the task was going to take, and when it reached the end, it was definitely done.

Weatherman fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Mar 30, 2017

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
I have a progress bar component I wrote for my applications at work that just fills up by random amounts (until you feed it an event that it's "done", where it moves up to 100%).

It will also pull from an optional list of descriptions of what it's doing, once again at random ("Restoring database", "Copying files", "Reticulating Splines", etc).

There are no hooks in the component to allow you to provide actual real percentages or messages.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

MisterZimbu posted:

I have a progress bar component I wrote for my applications at work that just fills up by random amounts (until you feed it an event that it's "done", where it moves up to 100%).

It will also pull from an optional list of descriptions of what it's doing, once again at random ("Restoring database", "Copying files", "Reticulating Splines", etc).

There are no hooks in the component to allow you to provide actual real percentages or messages.

So which retarded UX book told you to do this or is it your own poo poo idea?

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

I inherited an app that I use to test a bunch of scenarios on our DB server that had a progress bar that incremented to (index of currently completed step)/(# of steps total) as each step completed. The first thing I did was parallelize the steps since they were all independent and could be slow as gently caress in some circumstances. :downs:

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006

SEKCobra posted:

So which retarded UX book told you to do this or is it your own poo poo idea?

My own poo poo idea. I regret nothing.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

MisterZimbu posted:

My own poo poo idea. I regret nothing.

Progress bars are bullshit when any program is being actively developed.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

MisterZimbu posted:

What's ur github

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Javid posted:

As long as they're putting the full details into the sys log or app log or something, then the end user shouldn't be seeing anything but a generic message.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Fun fact: A "progress bar" or the like that merely indicates that something is happening, without indicating how far along the process is, is called a "throbber" :dong:

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
There's a thread title if I ever saw one.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I prefer a verbose output of what the gently caress is going on.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Fun fact: A "progress bar" or the like that merely indicates that something is happening, without indicating how far along the process is, is called a "throbber" :dong:

Wasn't that derived from the original Netscape 1.0 blue N logo that would throb in and out like it was breathing? (Can't find an animated version, wtf)

Establishing the convention of browsers that would indicate activity by animating their logo for like a decade to come...

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

MisterZimbu posted:

This is disturbingly common and is usually the reason for "fake" progress bars.

I prefer throbbers and spinners if you cannot communicate accurate percentage information.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

quote:

Hello,

Please have someone come to install a new wireless mouse I received. Thanks.

gently caress right off with this poo poo.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Phrosphor posted:

These pictures remind me of a client we used to have at my old job. They had a repair room machine for their plant equipment that only existed to play pirated movies. The employees would torrent them and play them in the background while working on machines. It would regularly come in absolutely hosed with malware or crypto lockered and the standing orders for it were to wipe it, reinstall windows, re-add to the domain and not to ask any questions.

I have one question.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Avenging_Mikon posted:

gently caress right off with this poo poo.

When I get those requests, I forward the part of the employee handbook that says no unauthorized computer equipment is allowed, who authorized your wireless mouse and can I get documentation?

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

GreenNight posted:

When I get those requests, I forward the part of the employee handbook that says no unauthorized computer equipment is allowed, who authorized your wireless mouse and can I get documentation?

Oh, I'm absolutely sure they went through procurement to get it, because this person would never spend their own money. Same way they never use any of their own effort. They think being admin to the president makes them special. The most terrible part is the president's very self-sufficient and polite, so they only ask for help when it's a problem or it's time sensitive. Their admin is just not good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

• Locked thread