Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I have no idea what to do to this flag or otherwise, any suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Dickbutt?

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I painted Amina Naidu and the 2 Gunsmiths for my upcoming Malifaux escalation league. I feel like I'm getting better with the oils. I forgot to take the pictures before I varnished them, so they're a little dusty looking and have a few still cloudy areas.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

This is exactly how I would expect jeans to look, nice job

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

40km thread xpost

Finished some old as balls Striking Scorpions.

One of them is so old he isn't even officially a Scorpion but a "space elf champion".

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

No i mean, the flag is very flat, I'm not sure how to make it better

The model is made of white metal, but I was thinking getting some grey and mixing it with what I think the color of the white is, and maybe blend on the ridges, but it'll still look too clean...

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I would not, assuming the terrain is stuff like Sector Imperalis or whatever. Primers form a chemical bond and have additives that allow the surface to have "tooth", which allows the normal paints which attach via mechanical bond to attach well. That advice is mostly for miniatures and plastic terrain though. The terrain itself may be a naturally porous material and have plenty of "tooth" pre-existing and as such would not need to be primed, like bark or cork or whatever.

It's the octarius crap. But thank you, I'll use the citadel sprays I have (wraithbone) and airbrush away

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Xpost from the 30k thread

Count Thrashula posted:

Painting up some IW Saturnine pattern Tyrant Siege Termites because these models are just too ridiculous not to

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Good Boi

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Finished off my Thousand Sons Rhinos that I got for Xmas.

I think that’s it as far as armour goes for me.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Finished off my Thousand Sons Rhinos that I got for Xmas.

I think that’s it as far as armour goes for me.

Those look really good and grimey! They're awesome.

maikzor
Feb 26, 2011

GreenBuckanneer posted:

How's your freehand?

Also what range is that mini from?

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Geisladisk posted:

40km thread xpost

One of them is so old he isn't even officially a Scorpion but a "space elf champion".

This rules.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Scorpion on the far left was the first mini I ever painted and was happy with my paintjob back in 2e after years of massacring space marines :unsmith:

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

maikzor posted:

How's your freehand?

Also what range is that mini from?

https://gameenvy.net/product/miniature-knight/

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Electric Hobo posted:

I painted Amina Naidu and the 2 Gunsmiths for my upcoming Malifaux escalation league. I feel like I'm getting better with the oils. I forgot to take the pictures before I varnished them, so they're a little dusty looking and have a few still cloudy areas.

Looking really good! The denim in particular. Where did you get the lil plant things on the bases? They also look pretty great, and I'm always on the lookout for more assorted basing stuff.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

SiKboy posted:

Looking really good! The denim in particular. Where did you get the lil plant things on the bases? They also look pretty great, and I'm always on the lookout for more assorted basing stuff.
Thanks! The plants are Laser Plants from Gamers Grass. These are the alien variety, because I love some powerful colors on my bases, but they make a lot of different "real" plants as well. They're prepainted metal that comes in a sheet, so you just pop them out, bend them a little, and then glue on a couple of layers to get a nice little plant.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Where do you guys like to buy them? Mini Market seems out of stock of everything except "Jet Exhaust" and "Gold" which might be fine for necron base coating

(Not really concerned about my whole army matching with necrons tbqh. You could just argue they were stuck in the ground somewhere and the ground discolored the metal or whatever. Or, something with the waking-up process futz up and the colors changed from model to model)

I got mine from Amazon, because I was in a rush. It was about a buck more than the place Cinara recommended, but shipping was free.

Eej posted:

Fwiw the Metal Color line tints extremely well with acrylic ink. Either mix it in directly or spray on top and you can get a metallic of any colour you want.
Yeah, I want to give this a try at some point - I've seen it on Marco's channel (iirc) and it looked great.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I'm painting up a Captain/ Chapter Master for my XIth "Exiles" and need some color advice for the banner:

What should I do here? Due to the amount of gold, orange (my secondary color) isn't very prominent, so I'd like that to be on there somewhere, but I'm not sure about what will look good.

Advice?

Geisladisk posted:

40km thread xpost

These kick rear end!

GigaFuzz
Aug 10, 2009

Professor Shark posted:

I'm painting up a Captain/ Chapter Master for my XIth "Exiles" and need some color advice for the banner:

What should I do here? Due to the amount of gold, orange (my secondary color) isn't very prominent, so I'd like that to be on there somewhere, but I'm not sure about what will look good.

Advice?

I'm far from an expert, but perhaps the main cloth of the banner could be in that teal blue you have used on the ropes, and the rectangular border and/or the central circle could be in orange?

Edit: Excuse the quick crappy paint job and the slightly off colours, but something like this:

GigaFuzz fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Mar 15, 2022

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I think the comedy option is to make a big pumpkin out of the center circle on the banner.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
God is it beyond frustrating when you can no longer match your own old paintscheme, because the same products no longer produce the same results. Or: Don't loving start an army based on Army Painter products, I guess. :sigh:

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

GigaFuzz posted:

I'm far from an expert, but perhaps the main cloth of the banner could be in that teal blue you have used on the ropes, and the rectangular border and/or the central circle could be in orange?

Edit: Excuse the quick crappy paint job and the slightly off colours, but something like this:

This looks awesome and I think I’ll go with it- thanks! What program did you use and do you have a link to a yt tutorial I could watch to do it myself in the future?

GigaFuzz
Aug 10, 2009

Professor Shark posted:

This looks awesome and I think I’ll go with it- thanks! What program did you use and do you have a link to a yt tutorial I could watch to do it myself in the future?

In this case I used Affinity Photo, but it can be done in pretty much any photo/paint app which has Layers and blend modes, e.g. Paint.NET, GIMP, Krita, which are all free. Specifics will vary per app, but the gist is: Open your photo, add a new layer on top, then set that layer's Blend mode to multiply (this allows the detail to show through without messing with the colour). Then you can choose a colour, or use the eyedropper/colour picker tool to grab an existing colour from your model, then just paintbrush over the top. It'll probably only work well over blank/white parts of the model though.

Edit: you could experiment with Recolour or Colour replacement tools to change existing colours as well, but that's beyond my ability to easily explain.

GigaFuzz fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Mar 15, 2022

Arbetor
Mar 28, 2010

Gonna play tasty.

So I started painting miniatures sometime last year as a way to pass the time, and make something with my hands. Or something, I dunno. After a few pieces of scenery that look ok, some gangers that look pretty bad (although were fun), getting solidly into Warhammer and WH40k lore, and painting a fun little Gotrek, a necron vehicle, a few Stormcast, and a half finished Leman Russ, I finally decided to knuckle down and actually paint a few things in one unified set.

I ultimately settled on Kharadron Overlords as a faction that combines my love of all things dwarvish with an appreciation for technology (and maybe a little too much steampunk). I finally finished the first unit and vehicle, and would like to show it to more people for thoughts. I went with one of the color schemes recommended in some lore, as I didn't want to just re-paint the models as GW paints them. Please, please ignore all the dog hair on the felt backdrop.

Both units together, to give a sense of the shared color scheme and base. I chose a snowy base as a way to contrast the strong colors of the models. Also, dwarves and airships just go with snow to me.

Profile of the gunship - I am still amazed at how much a flat or metallic color, combined with the detail of the model and a good wash can give such amazing looking details. Things like the little badges on the struts, or the bombs.

Back quarter of the gunship. I hate looking at these photos all blown up, because the camera (and my magnifying setup) pick up details that I could fix, but are impossible to see without magnification, if you don't know that they are there.

Miniature with the absurd hammer and power assist armor. The varnish I used made him a little bit shinier than I would like, although the lights and camera exacerbate that.

One thing that doesn't come through well in photos - I mixed a very small amount of ultra fine white glitter into the snow powder base material for the gunhauler (you can see some of the reflections in the third photo). It gives it a little bit of shiny reflection to the snow that makes it really pop, but the individual pieces are too small to really see if they aren't reflecting light directly into your eyeballs. Overall, I am really happy with how both models came out. Now if only I could get the person constantly looking over my shoulder telling me "It needs to be dirtier, its too clean, this is a weapon of war, it wouldn't be that clean" through the entire process to calm down.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

If it makes you feel better, I know there is a big push for accurate weathering in the hobby world, but I actually like the look of factory fresh better myself. So if the models are weathered or dirty enough for you, that is enough. You are the person looking at the models the most, so they need to make you happy, not some invisible committee of the worldwide hobby folks.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
There is absolutely nothing wrong with a "Parade Ready" army with no weathering.
Ideally you should be trying to tell a story with each model/base/effect, I heard someone recently refer to it as "Every model is a diorama".

So ask yourself what is the story of your models? Are they fresh to the field of battle? are they war torn veterans who have been on campaign for ages? maybe their gear is enchanted to remain clean, or incorporeal an imperious to soil, they're your minis and you should paint them to look the way you want them to.

For instance, my Imperial armies (Space Marines, Guard, Knights) are all unweathered, they have all just arrived fresh to a grassy savanna battlefield so there is no mud or dust on them yet.
On the other hand my Chaos (CSM, DG, Renegade Guard) are active in a war ravaged toxic urban hellscape, so I dusted their feet and legs with white as if they are kicking up concrete dust everywhere they walk.

You could even mix it up, perhaps your veteran units are all weathered because they've been in the field for a long time, while your conscripts are all fresh and clean because they just got out of training.

In the end it's your army and the only person you have to satisfy is yourself, not some arbitrary enforcer of the current hobby trends.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

One thing to remember that mini paining is Art.

You aren't trying to perfectly replicate a photo (unless you are), you are trying to communicate an idea, or a feeling, or a story.

This goes with color choice, contrast, weathering, almost all decisions.

So it might make no sense for an army to go into battle in bright red camo, but sometime bright red just works right for an army so it's the correct artistic choice.

It's not wrong to weather a tank so that it's more rust than clean metal. It makes no logical sense, but if you want to give the feeling of an army that's on it's last legs or corrupted beyond belief it's the right thing to do.

Some people just like shiny and new looking. In fact now that I've typed that sentence, I'm going to make some minis that look like a propaganda poster some day.

Even if you are trying to replicate "real-world" conditions or work a real-world subject, scale is going to screw with things like details and color perception, so you will end up making the contrast "wrong" or putting details out of scale because otherwise they would be invisible, or weathering too much so that, even if it's "wrong" it will still look right.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

GigaFuzz posted:

In this case I used Affinity Photo, but it can be done in pretty much any photo/paint app which has Layers and blend modes, e.g. Paint.NET, GIMP, Krita, which are all free. Specifics will vary per app, but the gist is: Open your photo, add a new layer on top, then set that layer's Blend mode to multiply (this allows the detail to show through without messing with the colour). Then you can choose a colour, or use the eyedropper/colour picker tool to grab an existing colour from your model, then just paintbrush over the top. It'll probably only work well over blank/white parts of the model though.

Edit: you could experiment with Recolour or Colour replacement tools to change existing colours as well, but that's beyond my ability to easily explain.

Awesome, I'll try this method out next time I'm trying to work out a color scheme

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

These still need brush primed and painted, but it's my first experiment with runny superglue and jewellery chain and I am extremely satisfied.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

moths posted:

These still need brush primed and painted, but it's my first experiment with runny superglue and jewellery chain and I am extremely satisfied.

Those look sick, and your lil' jersey barriers are perfect, urban terrain 4ever

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib
Yeah did you make those barriers or buy them? They're freakin sweet.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Thanks guys! Here's two painted, I'm surprised at how easy that went:

The barriers are 3d printed, there's a bunch of wargaming Jersey barriers on thingiverse and cults - I just picked one set and printed a couple dozen at 25% for AT.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I feel like buying a 3D printer is the next step in my hobbying, but it seems like a huge investment in time and effort. I already have a poo poo ton of things not painted as well, but I feel like 3D printing my own bases would be cool.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I feel like buying a 3D printer is the next step in my hobbying, but it seems like a huge investment in time and effort. I already have a poo poo ton of things not painted as well, but I feel like 3D printing my own bases would be cool.

as someone who got one for xmas and it's practically its own hobby

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I got an Anycubic Photon Mono back in November and so far, my only regret is that I now need a bigger hard drive to save the digital backlog I've accumulated, and also that my physical backlog is languishing a bit more because "Hmm, I could start painting the nine months worth of Dungeon in a Box minis I've accumulated... Ooooorrrrrr I could print my fleet for A Billion Suns!"

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I'm converting a bunch of eldar into harlequins since the troupe box is so expensive, anyone got a good idea of how to make the trailing ribbons they have?
Like the one between this guys legs

I figure I could probably do it with greenstuff but it'd be fiddly and I wonder if there's a better way

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib
I bet you could use those little pull-off tabs on the caps of milk

moths
Aug 25, 2004

If they're not supporting any weight, you can cut strips of thin plastic and use a hairdryer or candle to warp them into looking like cloth.

Blister pack plastic is particularly good for this.

E:

It's how I did the banners on this Slaaneshi Questor titan

moths fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Mar 17, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Communist Thoughts posted:

I'm converting a bunch of eldar into harlequins since the troupe box is so expensive, anyone got a good idea of how to make the trailing ribbons they have?
Like the one between this guys legs

I figure I could probably do it with greenstuff but it'd be fiddly and I wonder if there's a better way

The same way this guy makes purity seals.

https://youtu.be/94HB06tcuKw