Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Aethernet posted:

I would give many pounds for a building that produced unity and Engineering. In fact, more buildings producing Engineering overall would be good.

Definitely. I'm always behind on engineering compared to the other two. Probably because I'm always going synthetic ascension.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Gort posted:

Definitely. I'm always behind on engineering compared to the other two. Probably because I'm always going synthetic ascension.
it doesnt matter what ascension you go - you get more Physics from orbital deposits than the other two science types, you get Society from Social Workers or whatever they are, but there is no secondary source of Engineering. Hence why I want to do this:

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Now that I've gotten into modding I am considering making a mod that adds an Engineer job to the Mining, Energy, and Food enhancing buildings (the ones that give 1 job producing that basic resource and a 15% boost too all jobs that produce that resource). it would produce Engineering research and something else like stability, unity, or reduce upkeep or something else thematic but not overpowered. It would do this without CG upkeep because my god gently caress everything having CG upkeep.

If anyone has any better/different ideas, I am open to suggestions. I would want it to be a simple lightweight mod.

Maybe also give that engineer job to Ministry of Production, too.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Apr 2, 2020

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

This sounds pretty cool - what did you do to get one started? Did you release a vassal that liked you then immediately offer Federation?

I actually asked to join it twenty years in as the fourth member. I quickly became president then began the slow process of (1) using envoys and favors to get friendly empires to join up, then (2) using the Hegemony war goal to steamroll dissident empires.

If you want to do this, definitely use the diplomatic civics. The extra envoys supercharge your ability to maintain federation cohesion while mind controlling other empires into bloodlessly joining you

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Make the Tier 1 Food Processing, Mineral Extraction, and Energy Grid buildings provide one Agricultural, Mining, or Electrical Engineer job.

Make the Tier 2 buildings provide two of the respective Engineer jobs.

Each engineer increases production 15%. At two jobs from the Tier 2 building, this amounts to 30%. Because these would be jobs, there's an extra cost (a dedicated pop to work the job instead of doing something else), so 30% at Tier 2 would help offset that cost.

Basically, turn them into Research Institutions/Research Directors

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Dunno if anyone asked for this but if you wanted more space whale related things to do the next patch has you covered

https://twitter.com/StellarisGame/status/1245667769061978112

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

To simplify things, you could honestly just make Geological, Agricultural, and Energy Institutions.

Guve the Geo, Agri, Energy, and Research Institutions two tiers.

Mining Prospectors could give +1 Geology Engineer at capitol buildings.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

GunnerJ posted:

Dunno if anyone asked for this but if you wanted more space whale related things to do the next patch has you covered

https://twitter.com/StellarisGame/status/1245667769061978112

I did, in fact, ask for this, and this looks brilliant.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
More stuff to find is always good.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Aethernet posted:

Doomsday Origin.

Need to figure out how to start with a juggernaut and no upgraded starbase or corvettes.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
You can just dismante the vettes and starbase, and probably console command the jugg in.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
What I want to know is who actually gives a shot about Civic tier ranking I thought the whole point was to RP criminal space whales and taking garbage civics keeps it interesting.

I regularly take bad/weird civics because it adds flavor and challenge.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Crow posted:

What I want to know is who actually gives a shot about Civic tier ranking I thought the whole point was to RP criminal space whales and taking garbage civics keeps it interesting.

I regularly take bad/weird civics because it adds flavor and challenge.

Sometimes I like to RP a guy who minmaxes.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Soylent Pudding posted:

With the new origins how would you build the Kushans from Homeworld? Also anyone know of any good Homeworld namelists?

I got excited about the idea, and I put together a name list from the old manual and one of the fan sites. You'd still need decide how you'd want to insert them into the Stellaris format though: https://pastebin.com/M7E6vJPq

As for how I'd build them: Either the Doomsday origin if you have Federations or the Lost Colony origin if you don't. Then an Oligarchic government with Distinguished Admiralty and Citizen Service civics, and Egalitarian, Xenophile, and Militarist ethics. The Kushan themselves would get Nomadic, Adaptive, and Deviants.

I threw together a group of Homeworld empires (Kushan Daiamid, Taiidan Empire, Bentusi Exchange, The Beast, Vaygr Crusaders, Turanic Raiders, Protectors of the Garden) and added them to my existing group of themed empires (Star Trek, Mass Effect, WH40k, Homeworld, Starcraft, SMACX, and a few misc). Everything is updated for 2.6.2, but I don't have Federations so sadly none of those Origins are implemented. You can check out the user_empire_designs Pastebin here: https://pastebin.com/BPfdm3GP

Kaal fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Apr 2, 2020

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Demiurge4 posted:

I dunno criminal heritage is extremely good. Did an impromptu MP game yesterday and between fanatic militarist and a somewhat hostile but smoothed out relations advanced AI neighbor I had 30 alloy income by the time I finished out supremacy thanks to wrecking yards because I didn't need relations with anyone to make branches. Queue me making affiliates of the other AI's.

Starting a war with 24 corvettes and an extra 1.5k alloys stockpiled made the civic very worthwhile.

The chart is for unmodded singleplayer games. Criminal Heritage is extremely bad because when you put branch offices on AI planets, they will just build police buildings to counter the crime and gently caress you over.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

The Shortest Path posted:

The chart is for unmodded singleplayer games. Criminal Heritage is extremely bad because when you put branch offices on AI planets, they will just build police buildings to counter the crime and gently caress you over.

True.

Meanwhile other players will probably like, thank you. For giving you 10 free stab.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

That's why you play hyper aggressively with the early advantage because vassals can't close your branches.

edit: I'd gone with Life Seeded that game but honestly I think the habitat start would be way stronger with this.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Demiurge4 posted:

That's why you play hyper aggressively with the early advantage because vassals can't close your branches.

edit: I'd gone with Life Seeded that game but honestly I think the habitat start would be way stronger with this.

Do you mean just your own or vassals of other people too?

Because you can already just put em on your subsidiaries.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Subsidiaries are a type of vassal.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Demiurge4 posted:

Subsidiaries are a type of vassal.

Yes, and I'm asking if you must mean your own or those of other people too.

Because there's little point of going crime heritage to put branch offices on your own vassals when you can already do that as is.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

My point was that with the early advantage of putting wrecking yards on every available planet in your starting area you can accrue a significant alloy income that lets you be aggressive and vassalise everyone around you. This way you'll have vassals with branch offices that can't be closed.

The only annoyance is you have to close branches on a war target first. Which is an limitation for a crime corp that should absolutely be running a protection racket.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Starnet AI not only makes the AI more competitive it also discourages them from turning every planet into a police state, which makes crime corps more viable. Quite decent so far.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Jesus gently caress this game is hilarious, I finally discovered most everybody and there are 3 fanatical purifiers, me and one other dude are authoritarian and the rest (like 6) are pacifists LMBO were so hosed

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Oh really? I wouldn't have thought so. If so, I would firmly disagree with a number of the S Tier choices. In particular, any of the total war civics make the game a lot harder on the higher difficulties. The best civics are the ones that supercharge your economy and research, which are absolutely needed when the AI can easily flatten you with massive fleets in the early and mid-game.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Aethernet posted:

I did, in fact, ask for this, and this looks brilliant.

Me too, I always liked the space fauna. And I'm especially annoyed when empires just hunt certain species to extinction before I can ever see them, so this is a very welcome change. And imho the exact right scale of project for a free patch.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Kaal posted:

Oh really? I wouldn't have thought so. If so, I would firmly disagree with a number of the S Tier choices. In particular, any of the total war civics make the game a lot harder on the higher difficulties. The best civics are the ones that supercharge your economy and research, which are absolutely needed when the AI can easily flatten you with massive fleets in the early and mid-game.

It's very possible to play Determined Exterminators or Fanatic Purifiers in a way that lets you curbstomp 1-2 AI neighbors by year 2220 and then snowball from there, even on the hardest difficulty.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yea what ShortestPath said, fanatic purifiers is just an Inward Perfection empire that gets, come end of early game, several thousand alloys worth of systems and a dozen half-developed planets filled with transient slaves, all for free. Total war isn't just a QoL change, it's literally the strongest economic boost in 4X games.

edit: It's not like, despite the DLC, there's any loving meaningful way of interacting with your neighbors, so just ignoring them or killing them is situation normal, right?
double edit: vvvvv Alloy-less expansion. Every system is a corvette, and how many corvettes do you need again to run the nearest guy over? And get all those systems anways, without even spending minerals on the stations? I swear, it's a crime that commits itself.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Apr 2, 2020

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

It's very possible to play Determined Exterminators or Fanatic Purifiers in a way that lets you curbstomp 1-2 AI neighbors by year 2220 and then snowball from there, even on the hardest difficulty.

Yeah, don't build out so many outposts and suddenly you have all sorts of alloys to build warships. Let the AI capture the systems and then run over their not-upgraded starbases for influence-less expansion!

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

One of the appeals of the Void Dweller Origin to me has been not needing to spread out to establish more colonies, I can just put them all in one system so it is easier to defend and one Deep Space Black Site covers all of them. Its insane that it is like 2230 and I have my third new Habitat under construction and each of my five online Habitats have 95%+ Stability and I only have two factions (and both are happy!) in my empire!

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

3k alloys per habitat though... :negative:

(yeah it's a really good origin)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

One of the appeals of the Void Dweller Origin to me has been not needing to spread out to establish more colonies, I can just put them all in one system so it is easier to defend and one Deep Space Black Site covers all of them. Its insane that it is like 2230 and I have my third new Habitat under construction and each of my five online Habitats have 95%+ Stability and I only have two factions (and both are happy!) in my empire!

How do you get that many alloys at that point without colonizing some planets?

feller
Jul 5, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

buy em

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

hobbesmaster posted:

I dont build any ships, I do not claim any systems, I delete my starting corvettes (because they have alloy upkeep, and the AI will not declare war on you if you do not share a border with them), and the first two buildings I build are Alloy Foundries.

edit: Also I am a Meritocracy and I set my Habitats to Leisure to make my pops happy (well, happier) and I bumrush Stability-increasing things like Harmony's perk, Deep Space Black Sites, and Crime Lord deals.

I have rarely even bothered to do this, because I tunnel vision alloy production I dont have much extra energy, food, CGs, or minerals for a while.

3k alloys per habitat though... :negative:

(yeah it's a really good origin)
Worth it to have like 8 planets in one system and not needing to worry about expanding out real far to claim habitable planets or needing to worry about conquering more.

edit2:

I am producing more than 50% over baseline alloy production per Metallurgist, which helps.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Apr 2, 2020

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Mr. Crow posted:

Jesus gently caress this game is hilarious, I finally discovered most everybody and there are 3 fanatical purifiers, me and one other dude are authoritarian and the rest (like 6) are pacifists LMBO were so hosed

If you're lucky the Purifiers will take each other out. One game I had 2 devouring swarms trying to eat each other while the galaxy tip-toed around them.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Oh, that triggers me something fierce! I already consider my homesystem overly claustrophobic with my three starting habitats. My habitats are all spread out as regular and symmetrically as possible. Also there is very rarely more than one per system.

Re: Engineering research, yes please some sort of building or starbase module to make more of it would be nice. It's a bit odd that we have multiple sources of society and physics research, but nothing for engineering.

Well, except for that one robot-civic that you can take that give bonus engineering research, but that doesn't help if you're not a robot or would rather take other civics.

My current workaround has been to gene-mod one specific new race to my empire to be good at engineering, then stuffing their worlds with research centers until the slightly higher amount of engineering output equalizes research production across the empire. It's a slow, ongoing process though :shepface:

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Libluini posted:

Oh, that triggers me something fierce! I already consider my homesystem overly claustrophobic with my three starting habitats. My habitats are all spread out as regular and symmetrically as possible. Also there is very rarely more than one per system.

Re: Engineering research, yes please some sort of building or starbase module to make more of it would be nice. It's a bit odd that we have multiple sources of society and physics research, but nothing for engineering.

Well, except for that one robot-civic that you can take that give bonus engineering research, but that doesn't help if you're not a robot or would rather take other civics.

My current workaround has been to gene-mod one specific new race to my empire to be good at engineering, then stuffing their worlds with research centers until the slightly higher amount of engineering output equalizes research production across the empire. It's a slow, ongoing process though :shepface:

The real way to equalize the engineering is to simply build so many research labs it only shows you the thousands. :v:

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I tried a Hive Mind for the first time yesterday and not having to deal with consumer goods was so nice that I think my one and only real wish for this game now is for them to go away forever. Just deducting minerals is so much less hassle than mining minerals to produce goods to produce everything else.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
That's actually something I like. I'm playing both machines and void dwellers currently, and while starting with a machine planet was cool and all, I always end up missing the civilian industry I have to deal with as void dwellers. I wish there was some consumer goods equivalent for machine empires

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 15 minutes!
Yeah the production bonuses for being a void dweller get really out of control quite quickly. Granted, your habitats cost a tiny amount of alloy maintenance which hurts for the first few years, but that's counteracted by starting with 3 colonized habitats instead of 1 planet. You can get your first new alloy foundry up faster than other empires, and then your alloy advantage gets exponentially better from there.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

It might be possible to set up a game where you're lucky enough to have a pushover neighbor that you can swamp by 2205 or something, but in the current build by 2215 most empires will have at least 4k in fleet assets. By 2220 they'll have refitted the entirety of their fleet to T2 tech, which will put it up to at least 5-6k in fleet. If they have combat civics, that might be more like 8k in total fleet - not to mention a booming economy and a starbase over every world. Perhaps you're able to come up with those sorts of numbers in 2.6.2, but I certainly haven't been able to, and I don't think that it's nearly as consistently strong as the econ/tech civics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah the AI is absolutely determined to build it's fleet power these days, and on Grand Admiral it's easily capable of outproducing the player. It's been a while since I've played an evil type but I would not expect easy conquests.