Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Sending back people when it is not their time yet is a traditional thing though right? which would imply its within at least some of their power sets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
That's assuming there is such a thing as an objective life time for everyone, and not just a shorthand for bemoaning the death of young people.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

On that note, recall that there was friction between a psychopomp and an ROTD agent when Mortimer died.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Potato Salad posted:

On that note, recall that there was friction between a psychopomp and an ROTD agent when Mortimer died.

That was basically because dadpire didn't want to piss off Jones, though.

IronClaymore
Jun 30, 2010

by Athanatos

GlyphGryph posted:

Sending back people when it is not their time yet is a traditional thing though right? which would imply its within at least some of their power sets

Just because it is within their power doesn't mean their power is limitless. Remember, when a soul passes, the world continues to spin. (And not necessarily this world, but many worlds.) They can spare some souls, or at least, delay their final fate. But the power of the Psychopomps will have to be intrinsically linked with the overall etheric field. Everyone dies, in the end. I hope Smiffy lives, but even if he doesn't...his soul gained a glimpse of brilliant infinity. And when he fades to the Aether, may his essence nourish a thousand epic spells.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbDMLkci9hY

This retrospective includes some progress shots of the big portrait of god-Kat.

artichoke
Sep 29, 2003

delirium tremens and caffeine
Gravy Boat 2k
I hope the price isn't something like what those psychopomps told her dad he'd have to pay. Were those even the same ones Annie knows?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

artichoke posted:

I hope the price isn't something like what those psychopomps told her dad he'd have to pay. Were those even the same ones Annie knows?

We don't know what those things were, but it's very unlikely they were psychopomps

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

i hope they all die

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

artichoke posted:

I don't care that this won't happen, I just want to see Annie with a prosthetic fire hand.

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

It would give her an excuse to not do her homework, at least.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Hremsfeld posted:

It would give her an excuse to not do her homework, at least.

And show to everyone that Annie would rather drop out of school than not copy Kat's homework

I have a lot of questions about the psychopomp position. Salary? PTO? Vision/dental?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Annie nooooooooooo! :ohdear:

UndyingShadow
May 15, 2006
You're looking ESPECIALLY shadowy this evening, Sir
And Annie disappeared into the ether. The End.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013
Soooooo.....is she still allowed to interfere with the realm of the living because that could get super awkward.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Dogwood Fleet posted:

Soooooo.....is she still allowed to interfere with the realm of the living because that could get super awkward.

I imagine Coyote will be kinda annoyed that these guys are poaching his employees.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

artichoke posted:

Annie starts sawing at her hand and Muut's all "Aaaah stop that why are you doing that who would ever think that was a good idea"

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I don't think the things that messed with Tony were psychopomps. They were probably some other class of weird-rear end spiritual beings he met while probably very high on science-magic-drugs in the mountains in the middle of nowhere.

EDIT: He set out looking for psychopomps originally, but even he only says "I thought I found what I was looking for".

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Jan 30, 2017

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
You know, this is saving Smitty and all but it actually makes the psychopomps look worse; had they just said "Sorry, everything you did to help us and its consequences are on you" and left, then they'd be dicks, but at least it'd be, well, honest I guess? Pulling that and then adding "...Buuuuut we can still help you if you do even more for us" makes it clear they've just been taking advantage of Annie. There isn't some code or whatever they're following, at least as more than an excuse, they're exploiting the situation to get what they want and pretending they're not.

I really wonder what she agreed to, though; just "being a psychopomp" doesn't seem right, given that she's been doing that anyway and likely would have continued doing so.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

She has to give up squishing bugs.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I think, that, she did the right thing.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
She has to give every psychopomp a big, wet kiss!

Or she has to give up her fire spirit. The end.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

She has to have a child by him. Surma/Tony mystery solved.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Tenebrais posted:

She has to have a child by him. Surma/Tony mystery solved.
code:
         The Line
            V
            |
            |
            |
            |    You
            |
            |
            |

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

The page text is "Free meal."

aww she's gotta take 'em to McDonalds, and it's on her!

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

I assume that she's giving up whatever "power" she got from Jeanne to the other psychopomps instead of doing whatever she wanted with it.

Lurdiak posted:

code:
         The Line
            V
            |
            |
            |
            |    You
            |
            |
            |

That only works in a left-to-right reading system, ugh, way to be so anglo-centric on the English speaking message board.

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

Synthbuttrange posted:

She has to give up squishing bugs.

:ohdear:

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Cool, let's make this another mystery so the readers don't know what to feel about it.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Called it

Fried Chicken posted:

Maybe the big growth of this arc is annie accepting their formal job offer in exchange for healing smitty?

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Fangz posted:

Cool, let's make this another mystery so the readers don't know what to feel about it.

Oh no good god they're not spelling everything out on the same page it's introduced!

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Glagha posted:

Oh no good god they're not spelling everything out on the same page it's introduced!

INT. KANE'S BEDROOM - FAINT DAWN -

A very long shot of Kane's enormous bed, silhouetted against
the enormous window.

DISSOLVE:

INT. KANE'S BEDROOM - FAINT DAWN - SNOW SCENE.

An incredible one. Big, impossible flakes of snow, a too
picturesque farmhouse and a snow man. The jingling of sleigh
bells in the musical score now makes an ironic reference to
Indian Temple bells - the music freezes -

KANE'S OLD OLD VOICE
Gosh I sure do miss my sled Rosebud, and also the loss of my youthful innocence and idealism which it symbolized

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Roland Jones posted:

You know, this is saving Smitty and all but it actually makes the psychopomps look worse; had they just said "Sorry, everything you did to help us and its consequences are on you" and left, then they'd be dicks, but at least it'd be, well, honest I guess? Pulling that and then adding "...Buuuuut we can still help you if you do even more for us" makes it clear they've just been taking advantage of Annie. There isn't some code or whatever they're following, at least as more than an excuse, they're exploiting the situation to get what they want and pretending they're not.

I really wonder what she agreed to, though; just "being a psychopomp" doesn't seem right, given that she's been doing that anyway and likely would have continued doing so.

A part of me wonders if this doesn't somehow have to do with the fact that her mother's soul, her soul, has been eternally escaping the Psychopomps and returning to the ether like everyone else does :ohdear:

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Fangz posted:

Yeah lol I totally don't know what to feel rn on this page lol

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Besides, you know, everything that Kat is feeling

"Wtf is going on, I'm worried, what is Annie talking about, these guys are bullshit"

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Captain Oblivious posted:

A part of me wonders if this doesn't somehow have to do with the fact that her mother's soul, her soul, has been eternally escaping the Psychopomps and returning to the ether like everyone else does :ohdear:

She will lose her weird firespirit soul and become a normal human and will be doomed to die of old age, surrounded by her children and grandchildren. How sad.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Cat Mattress posted:

She will lose her weird firespirit soul and become a normal human and will be doomed to die of old age, surrounded by her children and grandchildren. How sad.

Tony's reaction: "All those years watching Surma waste away, all the pain and torment, my hand... when I could have just stabbed Eglamore. drat. drat."

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Mazerunner posted:

Tony's reaction: "All those years watching Surma waste away, all the pain and torment, my hand... when I could have just stabbed Eglamore. drat. drat."
*looks sadly at false hand* well the stabbing ship's sailed.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Captain Oblivious posted:

Surma definitely got taken into the ether, though.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Did she tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

EmmyOk posted:

Did she tho

There was nothing left to take.

It makes a bizarre sort of sense. When fire spreads, it's not becoming a new fire, it is the same fire, just bigger or in a different location. Say if a fire jumped from one campfire to the other. It appears as two separate fires, and those fires themselves could then be used to make more fires, torches or lanterns, fires that go very far away and become much smaller. But it's all the same fire still.

So when a fire takes on the aspect of a human, it falls to logic that it would procreate in the same way. Human beings cannot simply expand and consume endlessly as fire can, so instead through birth and death the fire renews itself through breeding. A fire elemental would likely never grow to be very old, and would likely age faster and faster as it persists.

It is the essence of the myth of the phoenix.

Edit: This complicates Annie's relationship with Reynardine as well, since from his perspective, as another immortal being who sees the etheric world where humans do not, Annie and Surma are the same "person". It's just that their personalities, memories, and so on have altered significantly in certain ways. He's clearly grappled with this confusion throughout the comic, and it's clear that on some level, that's not a wrong way to interpret it. Annie and Surma are the actual same being. It is reincarnation but in as abjectly literal a sense as you could have it. You rebirth yourself, time and time again, in order to continue existing. The price for this is your memories and your ego, both things you are also thought to lose through death in Buddhist doctrine.

8-Bit Scholar fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jan 30, 2017