Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I admit I romanced Thane in 2 cause I'm a sucker for the 'atoning assassin' schtick. Also his scene in 3 where he fights Cerberus' mall ninja to a stop despite being basically an invalid at that point was rad as hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Agents are GO! posted:

I actually managed to avoid it in ME1 by playing a woman and alien(lol)ating the male love interest. Although if they would've let me romance Garrus or Wrex...

Have you somehow only played ME1? Because if so, you should really play ME2 and ME3...

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

haveblue posted:

In ME1 it's more that you can't have conversations with a romanceable character without it leading to romance (or at least being forced to decide whether to gently caress them or shoot them down). There's no "I just want to make friends" path.

The inevitable "how could you lead us both on like this" conversation and I'm just, Kaidan I don't know why you thought I wanted to get in your pants, I've been making eyes at Liara the whole game, stop trying to make my friendly overtures be something more than that.

It's still not as bad as Dragon Age: Origins where Leliana just randomly decides we're dating sometimes and gets upset about another romance when we've already had the "let's just be friends" talk, so then I have to apologise for cheating on her when I explicitly told her we were just friends. Don't make me kill you in the temple of sacred ashes and create a weird plot hole for Inquisition.

I like BioWare a lot, I really do, and watching EA destroy them just kills me, but sometimes they have a degree of jank to their games that is just hysterical.

I have played these games so many times. It's almost endearing at this point.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

In my recent Legendary Edition playthrough I turned Kaiden down explicitly and then next game he and everyone else were acting like we dated because I had been friendly to him once.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
if femShep suggests a threesome, Liara is down, it's Kaiden who rejects.

he's a strong lad with conviction

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ImpAtom posted:

In my recent Legendary Edition playthrough I turned Kaiden down explicitly and then next game he and everyone else were acting like we dated because I had been friendly to him once.

To be fair, Kaiden totally seems like the kind of guy that would act like you were dating just because you were nice to him once.

I always hand him the hot potato on Virmire because he's just so boring as a character compared to Ash.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I can never remember which one is Kaiden and which one is Carth

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Neddy Seagoon posted:

To be fair, Kaiden totally seems like the kind of guy that would act like you were dating just because you were nice to him once.

I always hand him the hot potato on Virmire because he's just so boring as a character compared to Ash.

I got Kaiden killed because it seemed like the best way to escape his 'romance'. Like, dude, I asked about your backstory, that doesn't mean I wanna kiss you. Also I'm your superior officer or something.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Cyberpunk has that weird rear end scene where Panama will put her feet in your lap even if you're not trying to romance her or even have that as an option cause she's not into ladies.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'd say it's just a quirk of the math. [...] It's just that that particular combination of navigation instructions causes it to realize the best pathing route to rack up a high number of triangles while fleeing the player puts it right through a point of interest because several kilometers of open gently caress-all might be ten triangles, but going through a campsite/bandit camp/town/etc might take that up to 90-100 triangles with all the clutter to path around in it.

Yeah, that was the point of the twitter thread. I was more pondering why players latched onto foxes in particular when rabbits and deer also flee as soon as look at you, and would presumably "lead" you the same way were you able to follow them.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

You get it in reverse in ME2 where femshep is incredibly thirsty for Jacob. In any given concersation, picking any dialogue options other than "I hate you and hope you die" would result in some straight-up sexual harassment that he was clearly very uncomfortable with.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

The Lone Badger posted:

You get it in reverse in ME2 where femshep is incredibly thirsty for Jacob. In any given concersation, picking any dialogue options other than "I hate you and hope you die" would result in some straight-up sexual harassment that he was clearly very uncomfortable with.

its almost uncomfortable just how much of a horndog femshep can be at times in ME2 (not that broshep is much better)

also, on a related note:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdDySARjf40

nurmie has a new favorite as of 07:45 on Aug 23, 2021

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Captain Hygiene posted:

I enjoy how Aloy is equal parts oblivious to and tediously annoyed by everyone's romantic advances, much like me, the player

I kind of wonder, is there anything specifically that rules out Aloy being outright asexual? Technically most of the responses I can remember from her could theoretically be explained as "I'm too busy to mess with this crap", but I got the definite feeling she barely grasped the idea of physical attraction to begin with, a lot more so than just "raised in the wilderness with only a father figure to interact with" justifies really. She's ace in my headcanon at the moment anyway even if it hasn't been spelled out.

Captain Hygiene posted:

I get a freebie praise for the Ghost of Tsushima DLC since I accidentally posted my last one in the complaints thread. Just look at that horse armor:

Plus, you can now just freight train through guys while on horseback, doing it in dragon armor is just icing on the cake :swoon:

I just find it hilarious that (minor spoiler, but they tell you in like the first 10min or so) the islanders utterly despise Jin's family, but you can run around in your family armor + the horse armor and I don't think I've seen any comments yet. You'd think given how suspicious of samurai they are that wearing the armor of their worst enemy MIGHT occasion some comment at least. Though I swear all the "Sakai invasion" stuff gives almost as much in the way of "PC must be feeling awkward" vibes as the Bard's Tale remake main character helping sing about what they'll do to the idiot that released a monster (that the main character released, naturally).

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I admit I prefer to keep him because his abilities in ME3 are much better (Ashely is pretty much competing with Garrus and Vega for the Shoot Everything role) and Ashley is practically begging to die gloriously for her family name. Of course, the easiest way to deal with the issue to take the LE save editor and make sure everything's fine; you can edit "rejected both love interests" in the save flags, so worst case you can always force sanity to prevail for the rest of the series.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
IIRC if you insist on chaste Shepherd your 'love of your life' photo is with the original Normandy.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

MadDogMike posted:

I kind of wonder, is there anything specifically that rules out Aloy being outright asexual? Technically most of the responses I can remember from her could theoretically be explained as "I'm too busy to mess with this crap", but I got the definite feeling she barely grasped the idea of physical attraction to begin with, a lot more so than just "raised in the wilderness with only a father figure to interact with" justifies really. She's ace in my headcanon at the moment anyway even if it hasn't been spelled out.
In one of her conversations with Rost she says that she likes Varl.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
I was playing maleShep and avoiding romance was always pretty easy.

"Maybe after I'm done recalibrating these antimatter thrusters I could 'recalibrate' yours"
:stare: "I must go."

"Sorry Sheperd I didn't mean to tell you about my trauma, my hopes and my dreams. You probably don't care about my personal stuff"
:stare: "It's alright, don't let it happen again"

"Shep gently caress me now"
:stare: "What can you tell me about Saren?"

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Never knew Mass Effect had such realistic social interactions.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

haveblue posted:

In ME1 it's more that you can't have conversations with a romanceable character without it leading to romance (or at least being forced to decide whether to gently caress them or shoot them down). There's no "I just want to make friends" path.

Anyway, the best romance options are in Saints Row 4

This isn't true I don't think. I just finished a full playthroigh of LE as a maleshep and never romances anyone or felt like I was shooting anyone down. All my relationships were professional and platonic and felt perfectly natural. I could tell Kaidan had some budding feelings but it was never brought up and he eventually got over it.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

IIRC if you insist on chaste Shepherd your 'love of your life' photo is with the original Normandy.

Owns

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Haha this rules. I always avoid the romance poo poo in games like that because it's tedious and sometimes more than a little creepy - unless it has an impact on the plot/content in which case I will fast-forward through as much as possible.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Push El Burrito posted:

Cyberpunk has that weird rear end scene where Panama will put her feet in your lap even if you're not trying to romance her or even have that as an option cause she's not into ladies.

The romance options in that game just felt noticeably lazy even compared to all the rest of its problems. Like they didn't bother changing any of the story or dialogue slowly bringing the player character and them closer together, except the moment you choose a romantic dialogue option they're like UGH NO WHAT ARE YOU DOING because they're not one of the two prescribed character options available to you based on which body type you selected for yourself at the beginning. Just laughable levels of :effort:

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

oldpainless posted:

I can never remember which one is Kaiden and which one is Carth

Well, Carth is the white guy with dark hair, kinda brooding but quick to quip, the first guy to join your party and is down to gently caress. Kaiden is the one who, uh

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

This isn't true I don't think. I just finished a full playthroigh of LE as a maleshep and never romances anyone or felt like I was shooting anyone down. All my relationships were professional and platonic and felt perfectly natural. I could tell Kaidan had some budding feelings but it was never brought up and he eventually got over it.

Well, Kaidan is still in the closet in ME1, which probably helps, and ME3 handles it a bit better.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
i clean and sheathe the sakai clan katana after every fight

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There is a pretty good moment where your love interest would normally have some kind of comforting discussion with you and instead aromantic Shepard sits on the bed and looks really loving tired and haggard for once. It worked pretty well as a moment of introspection for someone who usually just gets poo poo done. Then they pull themselves together and get to work again. It was a nice change from Bioware's usual assumption that you must date someone all the time.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed
Cyberpunk 2077 has a lot of issues, even after the new patch, but as an old Cyberpunk 2020 player, there are a ton of neat little things. The rock station's DJ is Mike Pondsmith, the creator of the tabletop game, and in between songs like "Chippin' In" and "Never Fade Away" (which I've always known as just snippets of lyrics in a rulebook, so actually hearing them as real songs is cool), he talks about life in Night City and weird pseudo-conspiracies (like how Trauma Team, the emergency medical company, will keep you on ice and harvest your organs if you can't pay your bills). Keanu Reeves is actually pretty good as an angry narcissistic Rockerboy - he's the hero of the story because he's Johnny loving Silverhand and you're just some punk-rear end body he's stuck in. The 2023 flashback was so good - my favorite bit was pulling out a big 1980s-looking cyberdeck (guess when the tabletop game originally came out?) to hack something instead of the sleek all-internal dataports-and-cables method of the '70s (give me a '20s dlc, cowards). Everything in Night City is loud and neon and plastered with corporate logos and it's just perfect. I also like the open-world DX-like gameplay. When things don't bug out, it's actually sometimes pretty good at that - creeping around warehouses, taking over/disabling cameras, distracting guards to sneak by them (or knock them out), reading everybody's emails, that sort of thing.

(side note: I don't like "immersive sim" as a genre name because it isn't very descriptive, no I don't care that Warren Spector came up with it; "0451" doesn't mean anything if you don't already know what it means; "DX-like" is only a little better than "0451," but "first-person-perspective games where you can fight, sneak, or sometimes talk your way through an encounter/mission" is still too clunky)

It's too bad things start falling apart as soon as you poke around the edges a bit (or just play the game normally because there are still a ton of bugs/glitches/suddenly-fly-hundreds-of-feet points all over the game), but that's a post for the other thread.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I accidentally played aromantic Shep when I went through the trilogy a few weeks ago, I just completely forgot to romance anyone for the first two games and decided just to continue along those lines for 3. I think the only action Shepard got was Javik during the party dlc :v:

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I decided to romance Garrus in my legendary play through because he's Garrus and there's a whole subplot where he has to visit the doctor and they have to figure out how a Turian and a human an get it on.

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

Captain Hygiene posted:

I accidentally played aromantic Shep when I went through the trilogy a few weeks ago, I just completely forgot to romance anyone for the first two games and decided just to continue along those lines for 3. I think the only action Shepard got was Javik during the party dlc :v:

Despite knowing in the back of my mind that romances were A Thing in those games, I managed to beat me1 and 2 without seeing any romance subplots/interactions. No idea who was even romanceable.

I can't put my finger on what it is specifically - - maybe it's the shift in tone from 2 to 3, or the fact that they threw out all my favorite crewmates in favor of a bunch of boring humans, or the fact that 2 was just so goddamn good but my little thing about Me is that I have no real desire to play through 3 and finish out the story.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Have you somehow only played ME1? Because if so, you should really play ME2 and ME3...

Yeah, I played the whole trilogy finally with the Legendary Edition. I'm in the very tiny minority who wanted 2 and 3 to play more like 1. :shobon:

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Agents are GO! posted:

Yeah, I played the whole trilogy finally with the Legendary Edition. I'm in the very tiny minority who wanted 2 and 3 to play more like 1. :shobon:

Same here. I never beat 2 because I didn't like how they changed the RPG elements. Also the weapons had ammo, now.

As for romance options, I found it cute that if you romance Tali, she has a cold afterwards, since she would have had to get out of her suit.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Hokkaido Anxiety posted:

I can't put my finger on what it is specifically - - maybe it's the shift in tone from 2 to 3, or the fact that they threw out all my favorite crewmates in favor of a bunch of boring humans, or the fact that 2 was just so goddamn good but my little thing about Me is that I have no real desire to play through 3 and finish out the story.
I liked 3 overall, but I completely hated one specific character beat - I found out a questionable thing about Tali's race's past and briefly mentioned it to her, after which she was instantly all WELP I'M OUT and killed herself. Like, Shep, Garrus, and Tali have spent 2 1/2 games being the Best Friends Squad and then she just offs herself at the slightest mention her ancestors may not have been the most perfect people ever? That was the moment I was down on the third game, more than anything to do with the main storyline resolution.

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

Agents are GO! posted:

I was also late to the series and preferred how 1 played. Didn't realize this wasn't the consensus until I asked a friend. There are several of us, damnit!

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

"I Guess Somebody Fixed All the Problems" -- Confused Citizen

Captain Hygiene posted:

I liked 3 overall, but I completely hated one specific character beat - I found out a questionable thing about Tali's race's past and briefly mentioned it to her, after which she was instantly all WELP I'M OUT and killed herself. Like, Shep, Garrus, and Tali have spent 2 1/2 games being the Best Friends Squad and then she just offs herself at the slightest mention her ancestors may not have been the most perfect people ever? That was the moment I was down on the third game, more than anything to do with the main storyline resolution.
Doesn't she only do that if you specifically let basically all of her people die?

Anyway the worst bit in ME3 was Kai Leng and the 2nd worst was making the Geth some pinocchio "we want to be real people too" garbage.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Frostmoss posted:

Doesn't she only do that if you specifically let basically all of her people die?

Anyway the worst bit in ME3 was Kai Leng and the 2nd worst was making the Geth some pinocchio "we want to be real people too" garbage.

Yeah she doesn't kill herself until the final scene of the storyline, and you have to let her race basically die off.

Kai Leng was poo poo but the geth part was fine

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Frostmoss posted:

I dunno, I didn't remember more than just trying to move her people along to accept that maybe the Geth weren't 100% the villains, maybe there was more to it than I remembered. It seemed very sudden to me, but I was also Playing While Drunk so I may have missed or forgotten some of the plot. Maybe I'm a genocidal monster on account of having too many beers and not paying attention.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
From what I recall it's made clear for a while that a geth/quarian war is imminent, and you're eventually asked to pick a side. If you pick geth, you both hear most of her people get wiped out over the radio and then she kills herself. There's a third peacemaker option that saves the geth and the quarians and Tali, but it's not only a high stat check but also requires that you imported a save with the right choices from ME2

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

haveblue posted:

From what I recall it's made clear for a while that a geth/quarian war is imminent, and you're eventually asked to pick a side. If you pick geth, you both hear most of her people get wiped out over the radio and then she kills herself. There's a third peacemaker option that saves the geth and the quarians and Tali, but it's not only a high stat check but also requires that you imported a save with the right choices from ME2

I think I must've picked the geth side while trying to play peacemaker, without realizing it was that big of a decision. I know I ran into a few decisions like that where the end result was a lot bigger than what I expected from the dialogue choice.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Edit: Ignore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Perhaps the truth is somewhere in the middle?