Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

VolticSurge posted:

Probably should have, in hindsight. Edit: But I still don't regret getting into My Hero Academia at all. I've been loving Season 1 so far.

Yeah MHA is a really good shonen. The last manga arc was very lackluster though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Good to know,I'll skip it when the anime gets there. Although...I doubt it can be worse than Super's seemingly endless filler.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

VolticSurge posted:

Good to know,I'll skip it when the anime gets there. Although...I doubt it can be worse than Super's seemingly endless filler.

It's not that bad. It might work better when animated too.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Jan 8, 2018

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Andrast posted:

It's not that bad. It might work better when animated too.

Really? Because this:

Andrast posted:

The previous arc in MHA was pretty poo poo

makes it sound like it's some kind of giant like, travesty or something.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

VolticSurge posted:

I mostly got burned out because the movie arcs loving dragged then there was some filler (from what I remember). Then the Zamas arc happened, but by then, well, I was kinda too bored to continue past that. Perhaps if I'd jumped in on a later date I'd have enjoyed it more.

TBH, if you thought early Super dragged, they are brisk compared to the later arcs. I personally didn't find it hard to binge watch through them, but then I generally have a higher tolerance for slow pacing than most I speak to (I never once thought AoT needed to speed up, for instance). For me the slow pacing hurts more now that I'm caught up. Like, if I see a title for an episode that teases someone getting stronger, I just know nothing will actually happen next episode except they'll get their teased power up right at the end, and the cool things will actually happen the episode after that. That is not a good feeling.

My Hero is great though, no doubt.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
yanno what else is really good shonen

attack on titan, which you should be reading, so you can get the benefit of seeing all the holy poo poo moments that have been happening without being spoiled on them, and then you get to enjoy them be upgraded into fully animated sequences like what happened in season 2

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

VolticSurge posted:

Really? Because this:

It was mostly just boring

Captain Invictus posted:

yanno what else is really good shonen

attack on titan, which you should be reading, so you can get the benefit of seeing all the holy poo poo moments that have been happening without being spoiled on them, and then you get to enjoy them be upgraded into fully animated sequences like what happened in season 2

The attack on titan manga has been really good lately. I can't believe the basement actually paid off.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
yeah the basement part was really good, but honestly one of my favorite parts about that entire stretch was the entire mindless titan problem was resolved in a "meanwhile, over there..." frame on less than one page iirc

like the entire threat for most of the manga, just...swept away unceremoniously, and it worked perfectly

I definitely feel like Isayama is designing the recent arcs with the anime in mind. Some of that poo poo will look so good animated, like the mule titan wearing tank armor with artillery on it

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Jan 8, 2018

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

dbz scratches the same itch for me that stupid poo poo like wrestling does. i am literally only there for the melodrama, flexing muscles, and power creep. GT is therefore 100% my poo poo. the bigger and dumber the better, more transformations please.

dragonball has only ever been good to me when it’s walking that WWE line of posturing and absurd self-seriousness that invites you to laugh at how loving dumb this is while still allowing yourself to be a 12 year old boy who gets hype at somebody getting pile drivered

really not interested when it’s actually trying to be funny and wacky, which I guess is why I was never really into the original dragonball and haven’t been really into most of the super I watched.

basically dragonball as a series loses me whenever it breaks kayfabe

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Super is great if you can get over your precious power levels being broken, and also remember that it's a weekly kids' show so it has its weaker episodes. It really doesn't have much filler though because THAT WORD HAS A MEANING AND A SERIES DEVELOPED AS A STRAIGHT-UP ANIME CAN'T HAVE MOTHERFUCKING FILLER YOU IMBECILE

sorry

AoT was something I thought I'd bounce right off but it's pretty good and it continues to be pretty good.

it's better than berserk

berserk is the witcher 3 of manga

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Dias posted:

berserk is the witcher 3 of manga

So it's amazing?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Andrast posted:

So it's amazing?

Overrated.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Dias posted:

Overrated.

Literally the most worthless criticism

Calling something overrated is just whining that something is popular.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Andrast posted:

Literally the most worthless criticism

Calling something overrated is pretty much whining that something is popular.

It's boilerplate fantasy (and even the author would tell you that) in an open-world that's too big for it's own sake, with mediocre combat and poo poo inventory management.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Dias posted:

It's boilerplate fantasy (and even the author would tell you that) in an open-world that's too big for it's own sake, with mediocre combat and poo poo inventory management.

and despite that it's still amazing

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Andrast posted:

and despite that it's still amazing

Literally the most worthless praise.

Berserk does "oh it's RAPE" way too often and it takes it until the second eclipse to finally introduce a female character worth a drat. The first arc is good, to be fair, and it got a lot better when it stopped being so...rapey.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Dias posted:

Berserk does "oh it's RAPE" way too often and it takes it until the second eclipse to finally introduce a female character worth a drat. The first arc is good, to be fair, and it got a lot better when it stopped being so...rapey.

Can't really disagree with that

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

AoT got a lot better once it stopped the dumb character/cast treadmill thing it was on for a while at first, like if you're just gonna keep mulching new groups, I'm not gonna get invested writer.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Yardbomb posted:

AoT got a lot better once it stopped the dumb character/cast treadmill thing it was on for a while at first, like if you're just gonna keep mulching new groups, I'm not gonna get invested writer.

It does that to a good effect a couple of times though, and one is actually pretty late into the current story. I think it might be one of the few mangas that actually gives you a "war is hell" type of feel.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Dias posted:

Overrated.

look at the big dick on mayor mccheese over here

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

VolticSurge posted:

Really? Because this:

Well yeah but it's the internet, performative outrage/hatred and all.

Last arc dragged on too long and was hampered by some delays and author illness but if your gonna sit here and tell me that some of the poo poo in that arc isn't going to be incredibly radical in the anime, your a drat fool, and a buster of chumps

Also it flows better all at once on a reread

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
Latest Bully episode and still have no idea why Matt didn't pull the fire alarm, there like dozens right there, you just need to pull one Matt! This and him not going to any classes now is making me upset.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Dias is right (but not about the Witcher) Berserk is a series made of very dumb edgy bullshit for the sake of being Serious and Dark to the point that it comes across as comical because the writer is a an old Japanese man writing a fairly simple revenge story whose motivation is taken to the Adam X-Treme with Rape and Satan Powers.

It's god some great art and some cool ideas and moments but....I mean for fucks sake one of the cast members of the story is the semi-aborted demon fetus of a main character from that time she was raped in front of the other protagonist. It's a joke!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

VolticSurge posted:

Really? Because this:

Like all low-points in a form of media, it greatly benefits from being able to sprint through it instead of having to wait week to week.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Post basement Attack on Titan is very weird. It basically turned into a different series that is actually good.

It still looks like garbage though.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

I keep hearing AoT got weirdly nationalist but little specifics. Is that anything or is it nothing?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Oh Isayama is definitely a loving nationalist weirdo and that pervades the work in various places.

Please do not misunderstand, you should not waste your time reading Attack on Titan. You need only know that it got less painful at some point.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

nerdman42 posted:

I keep hearing AoT got weirdly nationalist but little specifics. Is that anything or is it nothing?

AoT takes place in a setting that's very pseudo-german in designs and people, with a lotta names and bits like that especially. It's also an explicit plot point that asians are mostly gone and are like a big rarity in this world/place and others just kind of aren't around, nationalist is sorta odd I guess, one of the big arcs is pretty much rebelling against the super oppressive government but I dunno, it's weird.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Rodyle posted:

Oh Isayama is definitely a loving nationalist weirdo and that pervades the work in various places.

Please do not misunderstand, you should not waste your time reading Attack on Titan. You need only know that it got less painful at some point.

Aot is good

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Not really interested in a manga written by a fascist shithead anymore

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Dias posted:

It does that to a good effect a couple of times though, and one is actually pretty late into the current story. I think it might be one of the few mangas that actually gives you a "war is hell" type of feel.

Nah it loving sucks

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

AoT is pretty alright :shrug:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Normies like it, therefore it's bad.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Tae posted:

Normies like it, therefore it's bad.

yes, clearly that's the only reason anyone could ever possibly dislike it

every time this thread talks about anime it falls off a loving cliff

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

sephiroth could kill goku

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Blockhouse posted:

Not really interested in a manga written by a fascist shithead anymore

You should pick up comrade Oda's "One Piece" imo.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Sephiroth gets whooped by Cloud, he ain't poo poo

Like he basically gets beat by the power of friendship, Goku's got that in the bag

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Under the vegetable posted:

You should pick up comrade Oda's "One Piece" imo.

https://imgur.com/a/aTrl3#MKv3BSP

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Manga about the awfulness of war and how horrifying a blind love for any nation is must be pro-nationalism, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Manga about the awfulness of war and how horrifying a blind love for any nation is must be pro-nationalism, I guess.

Yeah like Isayama might have said weird poo poo before, I vaguely remember something like that, but AoT is kind of a head scratcher for trying to say it espouses the good of nationalism or anything like that. The royal family is corrupt as hell, the government in general and it's big church are violent oppressors, being a true believer generally gets you senselessly eaten as a soldier or you take on the role of an MP thug for better treatment and getting to stay in the inner city.