Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trickortreat
Oct 31, 2020
I need to change a damaged hubcap cover on my 2014 Civic. Do I need to use the tire jack and lift the car off the ground to change? Or can I just change out the nuts pop the damaged cover off, pop the new one in and be done with it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

The latter, assuming this is not some bizarre wheel cover that uses the actual lug nuts to hold it on.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
This morning my 2006 Scion xA with 90k miles would crank but not turn over. I tried it about five times "dry" before I thought about hitting the gas while turning the key, and suddenly it started up. I tried it a few more times in the driveway and it started normally (no gas pedal) each time, so I went to work. It started fine after work as well.

The weather hasn't been extreme, and it was driving perfectly fine before this morning. I have no idea what might've caused it.

Was it just a fluke or is there a bigger problem I need to look out for? It's an older car, but relatively few miles and the oil and filters are good.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Admiral Joeslop posted:

2005 Crown Vic (again...), engine light came on. AutoZone guy ran it, came back as "fuel rail pressure sensor" and sold me these things:

Since I'm a rube that falls for stupid things, did he sell me snake oil, and is replacing that sensor relatively easy, or should I take it to a shop?

Things I've learned to replace in the last six months or so:

-Spark plugs and ignition coils
-Fuel filter
-Battery terminals

Just to give an idea of my skill level; I'm fine with spending $20 or whatever on the part and sticking it in if it's not super obnoxious.

I don't know that either of those bottles are going to help. Posting the exact code you have might help point you in the right direction. There's still a pretty big gap between that and knowing what to do exactly, but it'd be a start.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah I really doubt fuel cleaner is going to do anything if the sensor is actually bad. It won't hurt anything if you don't want to deal with returning it, but when it comes to dealing with your issue, it might as well be snake oil.

With that said, if you've done a fuel filter and coil packs, you can definitely tackle that sensor. I would still recommend checking the vacuum line to the sensor and the wiring at the sensor to make sure neither is resulting in a CEL that isn't actually because of the sensor - but according to Google this seems to be a pretty common part failure. It's also all of $40 from Rockauto.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqtnrPPh5BY

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Lester Shy posted:

This morning my 2006 Scion xA with 90k miles would crank but not turn over. I tried it about five times "dry" before I thought about hitting the gas while turning the key, and suddenly it started up. I tried it a few more times in the driveway and it started normally (no gas pedal) each time, so I went to work. It started fine after work as well.

The weather hasn't been extreme, and it was driving perfectly fine before this morning. I have no idea what might've caused it.

Was it just a fluke or is there a bigger problem I need to look out for? It's an older car, but relatively few miles and the oil and filters are good.

Possibly the advent of a fuel pump failure. No codes?

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”

Admiral Joeslop posted:

2005 Crown Vic (again...), engine light came on. AutoZone guy ran it, came back as "fuel rail pressure sensor" and sold me these things:

Since I'm a rube that falls for stupid things, did he sell me snake oil, and is replacing that sensor relatively easy, or should I take it to a shop?

Things I've learned to replace in the last six months or so:

-Spark plugs and ignition coils
-Fuel filter
-Battery terminals

Just to give an idea of my skill level; I'm fine with spending $20 or whatever on the parto
and sticking it in if it's not super obnoxious.

I would say you spend $20 to get an OBD 2 code reader so you can pull codes without getting upsold on snake oil. It's very easy to use and the best way to start developing your diagnostic skills. Find the code, search it on google (look to see if it's a common issue/look for TSB's) and work from there.
I'd also recommend seeing if those parts are available on Rockauto, see if someone has posted a youtube video or forum post on how to change the part and gauge your comfort level on that.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Dr. Lunchables posted:

What the gently caress? For that price I’d rather try to press out the ball joints and saying gently caress the bearings. Drop the entire subframe? Engine and trans just to gently caress with a lower control arm bushing?

People love to poo poo on domestic cars, but I have never run into this dumbshittery in all my years loving with GM shitboxes. Toyota was supposed to make fixable cars.

It's 100% efficiency on the assembly line.

Subframe and front suspension assembled. Drive train lowered on. That assembly is raised into the chassis.

Having that bolt installed from the wrong side probably dropped a whole station and process.

The really horrible part is if you're familiar with that car and the car isn't a rusty mess you can actually haul rear end dropping that whole subframe.... If you're in a fully equipped shop.

I used to work on this one very new evo x so much I made a jig so I could lift the car off that assembly and it made working on it much easier.

Pop off fuel lines, exhaust, driveshaft, wiring, and some coolant lines. Move a/c comp to the side. Disconnect axles. Raise chassis off the 20lbs of poo poo in a 10lbs bag that is evos.

That was the fastest way to access the turbo.

IM NOT SAYING THIS IS A GOOD THING! That car sucked to work on. What I mean is if you approach it thinking "how was it made in the factory" then pulling the dash was again the worst job.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah. Cars are designed around "ease of assembly" first, with "can it be maintained by a dealership with our proprietary toolset and a full array of lifts" somewhere way the gently caress down the list.

Nearly any new car will long exceed even 100k before needing that kind of suspension work anyway, so that's deep into the realm of second/third owners. Serviceability on a set of jackstands isn't even remotely considered.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Why do foreign cars have English logos/branding on their cars in their own home country? I just noticed this in a completely unrelated YouTube video about house remodeling in Korea.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

buglord posted:

Why do foreign cars have English logos/branding on their cars in their own home country? I just noticed this in a completely unrelated YouTube video about house remodeling in Korea.

It's not just that stuff, all sorts of products use English in their products or marketing in countries where it's not predominantly English speaking. This is another Korean example but they even switched from Korean to English on their product which AFAIK is only sold in Korea:

I think it has a lot to do with a (misplaced?) belief that foreign (English speaking) brands are associated with higher quality, or international brands are more successful/represent a higher value/more legitimate product. Google "white monkey" to see examples of Asian brands using Caucasians in visible positions to attempt to elevate perception of their brands or companies.

e: It goes the other way also. The Japanese kanji for 'middle' which is used in mahjong meaning 'dragon' (sorta) was coopted by Red Dragon Apparel because the brand felt it lent something to their image that was desirable:

Why are white people using Asian characters? Why do so many white guys have Asian tattoos?

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Nov 21, 2023

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

VelociBacon posted:

Why are white people using Asian characters? Why do so many white guys have Asian tattoos?

Or white people with tribal tattoos?

Though I think that might be out of style these days.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

buglord posted:

In Japan, its because cars are culturally seen as foreign (invented overseas) despite a longstanding domestic industry.

The Suzuki Kizashi is the only car I can remember coming across with a Japanese name (there may well be others), but its still written in the Western alphabet on the badge.

Shout outs to the Mitsubishi Pajero (Spanish - wanker) and Mazda Laputa ( - prostitute) and Honda Life Dunk.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

at least in the case of the energy drink and other consumer goods i would guess it's partially a case of hedging one's bets for legibility; if someone doesn't read any chinese-derived script, chances are very good they can read the roman alphabet and at least have some idea what's in the mystery can. you can see that in the older version where it just says "energy drink" in small lettering

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

buglord posted:

Primarily because they don't run separate production lines for domestic versus export. They make everything labeled to be sold everywhere.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

VelociBacon posted:

It's not just that stuff, all sorts of products use English in their products or marketing in countries where it's not predominantly English speaking.

In Germany a few years back, we were surprised to see signs advertising "BLACK FRIDAY SALE", despite German having its own words for all of those concepts. I think we're just at a point in time where a lot of people speak English / understand Roman script.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Deteriorata posted:

Primarily because they don't run separate production lines for domestic versus export. They make everything labeled to be sold everywhere.

That doesn't explain all the only sold in Japan vehicles covered in English labels, decals and buttons though.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

KakerMix posted:

That doesn't explain all the only sold in Japan vehicles covered in English labels, decals and buttons though.

Like this?

Because it's cool

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Is it difficult to bleed brakes without a helper? I have 1 leaking caliper on my car, it's been leaking for about a month and I keep topping off the fluid every couple weeks.

I took my car to a shop, they called and said they found nothing wrong except the caliper, wanted $700. I declined their service since I wanted to attempt to contact the shop/person who installed the calliper a year ago, and he also skipped town about a year ago.

The shop I took my car to didn't say anything about my car being a road hazard or ask me to sign any waivers before leaving, but they sent a couple reminder emails for "YOUR BRAKE LEAK". What really disappointed me is yesterday they sent an email with a laundry list of poo poo. They want to fix the leak, replace my pads, turn my rotors, rotate my tires, power flush my power steering fluid, power flush my engine oil, four wheel alignment, rotate and balance my tires again, and pillage and plunder my wallet. The pads are 2 years old they have a few miles on them, but the clerk said "they're at 60% you don't need them replaced" since I originally took my car to them specifically to get new brake pads and they declined. I left without getting any work done in part because they originally told me there was no work necessary besides the caliper.

I think I want to either watch enough YouTube videos to replace the caliper myself, or at least spend my $700 somewhere else. Is AutoZone and friends a good enough source for brake calipers or should I buy from a dealer, or grab a caliper from a junkyard? I think junkyard would be the best price for an OEM part, but I don't know how to tell if it's any good, and I might have to put a rebuild kit into a junkyard part first, which I think I could manage.

Not Wolverine fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Nov 22, 2023

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

There are various tools that allow you to bleed your brakes single handedly.
Another goon can recommend one.

Last caliper I had to bleed was luckily the driver side rear, so I could do it myself by using a broom handle like object to push the brake pedal down with one hand and work the bleed screw with my other hand.

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

The spice must flow in and through me.
The fire will cleanse me body and soul.

wesleywillis posted:

There are various tools that allow you to bleed your brakes single handedly.
Another goon can recommend one.

I use a Motive power bleeder. They are fantastic and I cannot recommend them enough. I've used it on everything from a 68 Chevy C10 to Hondas.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Not Wolverine posted:

Is it difficult to bleed brakes without a helper? I have 1 leaking caliper on my car, it's been leaking for about a month and I keep topping off the fluid every couple weeks.

I took my car to a shop, they called and said they found nothing wrong except the caliper, wanted $700. I declined their service since I wanted to attempt to contact the shop/person who installed the calliper a year ago, and he also skipped town about a year ago.

The shop I took my car to didn't say anything about my car being a road hazard or ask me to sign any waivers before leaving, but they sent a couple reminder emails for "YOUR BRAKE LEAK". What really disappointed me is yesterday they sent an email with a laundry list of poo poo. They want to fix the leak, replace my pads, turn my rotors, rotate my tires, power flush my power steering fluid, power flush my engine oil, four wheel alignment, rotate and balance my tires again, and pillage and plunder my wallet. The pads are 2 years old they have a few miles on them, but the clerk said "they're at 60% you don't need them replaced" since I originally took my car to them specifically to get new brake pads and they declined. I left without getting any work done in part because they originally told me there was no work necessary besides the caliper.

I think I want to either watch enough YouTube videos to replace the caliper myself, or at least spend my $700 somewhere else. Is AutoZone and friends a good enough source for brake calipers or should I buy from a dealer, or grab a caliper from a junkyard? I think junkyard would be the best price for an OEM part, but I don't know how to tell if it's any good, and I might have to put a rebuild kit into a junkyard part first, which I think I could manage.

A second opinion would not be a bad idea. It does sound a little fishy, but some of those jobs listed are not really DIY territory (alignment), questionable (power steering flush, oil flush), or are alarming (brake leak). Pads and rotors definitely can be past the point of saving, especially if a caliper is stuck and they have been dragging or haven't actuated in a long time. It all depends. Easier for us to weigh in with a picture and a description of what's been going on with the vehicle though.

As for the parts themselves, I would probably stick with parts stores. Totally up to you, but I'd much rather just buy the part I need and install it. Sometimes the dealership is necessary, but I would not pay up for an OEM caliper more than likely nor want to overhaul a junkyard pull.

nitsuga fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Nov 22, 2023

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

mobby_6kl posted:

Like this?

Because it's cool

:hmmyes:

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I am oft looking for amusement midships

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Dr. Lunchables posted:

I am oft looking for amusement midships

Personally, I look for mustle-bound, yet refined 4WD Toyotas. I mean really, the mainstream of our days is in the style. That is simple and traditional.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
I'm the compass with no way south

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Is that supposed to be "muscle" not "mustle"?

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Yeah. Mustle isnt a real word, after all.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

cursedshitbox posted:

I'm the compass with no way south

South Pole special edition

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

:frogsiren::frogsiren::frogsiren: AISS 2023: LAST CHANCE, PROCRASTINATORS! :frogsiren::frogsiren::frogsiren:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Yeah. Mustle isnt a real word, after all.

I was going to say that it should be a word because I like it but apparently it already is?!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
AI Stupid Question Thread- Mustleheads ITT

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Now thats what I call a mustle bound pig

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
driving to thanksgiving, the Fiesta ST doesnt seem to be pulling like I remember/it should.

I feel like Im losing my mind, but the car feels more gutless than usual between 3 and 4/5k/normal torque falloff point for the car. It revs and makes noise, but it doesnt seem to make peak torque where I remember it. Pulling onto the highway it was kind of a struggle to get above 80 and the 50-70 climb also felt slower than normal. Im 99% certain I put 93 octane in it last night, so I dont think its related to gas or whatever.

My other thought is the clutch, but I cant imagine it racking up that notable of an amount of clutch wear between yesterday and today. Could it be turbo related? Its 50 degrees out and the tires are relatively fresh so I dont think its heretofore unpalpable to me slip.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Nov 23, 2023

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Only way to know is to data log. We can only guess if its boost or grip or fuel or superstition without numbers.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Only way to know is to data log. We can only guess if its boost or grip or fuel or superstition without numbers.

what do?

I have one of those Foseal $20 ODB dealies that connect to the iPhone, if that may be of use

guaranteed
Nov 24, 2004

Do not take apart gun by yourself, it will cause the trouble and dangerous.

Ok Comboomer posted:

driving to thanksgiving, the Fiesta ST doesnt seem to be pulling like I remember/it should.

I feel like Im losing my mind, but the car feels more gutless than usual between 3 and 4/5k/normal torque falloff point for the car. It revs and makes noise, but it doesnt seem to make peak torque where I remember it. Pulling onto the highway it was kind of a struggle to get above 80 and the 50-70 climb also felt slower than normal. Im 99% certain I put 93 octane in it last night, so I dont think its related to gas or whatever.

My other thought is the clutch, but I cant imagine it racking up that notable of an amount of clutch wear between yesterday and today. Could it be turbo related? Its 50 degrees out and the tires are relatively fresh so I dont think its heretofore unpalpable to me slip.

Had a similar mystery but also with a squeal/whistle last week. It has disappeared into the dealership for a week now with no word, but they said they were going to look at the transmission, belt, and surprisingly, the exhaust. The Tucson has an oil consumption problem but no obvious leak, but the head tech said before heading out for deer camp with 80 percent of the service department that if it's burning oil, he has seen the exhaust just plug up with carbon and yes, make a weird whistling sound, which would explain why it didn't quite seem to be coming from the belt. Partner says no way that's the answer, but my pizza money is on the exhaust.

Check your tailpipe for a banana maybe?

A gas station in town mixed diesel and gas in their tanks and did a number on quite a few people a little while ago, and water in the gas isn't unheard of either. Did you get gas at a place you've been to before?

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Ok Comboomer posted:

what do?

I have one of those Foseal $20 ODB dealies that connect to the iPhone, if that may be of use

I dont know that one specifically, but an OBDII reader is the way to get at this.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

guaranteed posted:

, he has seen the exhaust just plug up with carbon and yes, make a weird whistling sound,

Was the sound kinda like a WOO WOO sound?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleepytime
Dec 21, 2004

two shots of happy, one shot of sad

Soiled Meat
We got an inspection on my wife's 2011 RAV4 and they said the struts and strut mount bellows are worn out and they recommended the following:

Remove and replace front and rear strut assembly
Quick-strut complete strut assemply x 2
OESpectrum Light Truck Shock Absorber x 2

It comes out to $1,850. How long can we go without fixing it / does this seem reasonable?