Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Cannibal Smiley posted:

I've found that latex house paints - the sample sizes you get from Home Depot or Lowes - work beautifully for terrain; they're cheap, flexible, water down nicely with paint and airbrush without too much difficulty. When I tried to cut craft paint with Windex to airbrush it, I kept getting massive clogs because, I think, craft paint has some kind of additive in it that makes it dry quickly, which causes jams in airbrushes. I believe that Home Depot only does satin finish for its sample paints, but you can easily knock off the shine by using a matte sealant.

Another useful thing about using craft paint is that you can paint an index card with a GW / Vallejo paint and have them color-match it. If you want an 8 oz tub of Zandri Dust with a slight shine, that's entirely possible.

I dunno what the chemical difference is between Windex and windshield washer fluid, but I experienced the same clogs you're talking about when trying to thin craft paint with Windex (the non-ammonia type) for the airbrush. I then switched to windshield washer fluid and haven't had any clogs whatsoever, apart from a few metallics (which probably just needed to be run thru a small strainer first due to the metallic flakes in them).

I think either Luke's APS or The Terrain Tutor did a video where they went and bought some cheap latex paints from the British version of Dollar General or wherever, so they're definitely a viable alternative for painting terrain. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Mortimer Knag posted:

Another fun thing to do is grab the $1 disney/pixar/he-man type mini's from the dollar store. They take primer just fine and have some detail, and with a hobby knife you can cut them up and customize them. The dollar tree near me also sells a lot of other cheap hobby stuff- hobby knife blades for $1, crayola model magic that after it hardens you can just coat in a little super glue and paint over, (some, size 2 is the smallest i've seen) brushes, paints, other stuff you can use to practice on or whatever. Ollie's for cheap spray primers.

https://www.dollartree.com/monsters-inc-mini-fig/303239
https://www.dollartree.com/mattel-micro-collection-masters-the-universe-mini-figurines/328550
Look how fun those look to chop up and paint and what not.

well i just found my Tyranid Kill Team

Mortimer Knag
Nov 23, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

well i just found my Tyranid Kill Team

For boo, the human in the weird suit, you can pop the hat off and get 2 models. the top of the kid's head is just a square peg. The teacher slug thing you can easily pop the clipboard out too and cut up the pencil and then bam, it holds a gun. The kung-fu panda ones are awesome too https://www.dollartree.com/mattel-kung-fu-panda-micro-collection-25in-characters/337902

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Mortimer Knag posted:

For boo, the human in the weird suit, you can pop the hat off and get 2 models. the top of the kid's head is just a square peg. The teacher slug thing you can easily pop the clipboard out too and cut up the pencil and then bam, it holds a gun. The kung-fu panda ones are awesome too https://www.dollartree.com/mattel-kung-fu-panda-micro-collection-25in-characters/337902

You are making me feel so old and out of touch with this post.

Boo is a human child trapped in the monster world, something that is very illegal for the big blue and little green guy.

The teacher is their line manager and general hard rear end.

The snake dude is a piece of poo poo and you should smash the model into little pieces.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You know I’m happy I’m going with the seal everything, but the cockpit approach. Made a ton more progress then I had before.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Did some old rangers

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I’m at Adepticon and all I’m really doing is taking a handful of painting classes. Beyond the skills I’m picking up it’s been really motivating. I’m looking forward to getting home and tackling my now even larger pile of shame.
Also the Golden Demon entries are ridiculous. So many amazing models on display.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
So, I have not painted in what feels like forever. I only have used GW paints(prior to the washes or contrast paints even existing) or PP3 paint line

I'd like to get can into painting, specifically the 30k line of Horus Heresy and Adaptus Titanicus. Going Imperial Fist reverse colour scheme. Are the contrast paints worth giving a good long look at grabbing?
In particular I'm eyeing grabbing the Speedpaint set and maybe a Vallejo set of paints to do the more finer details. I assume they are the main competition to GW lines these days.
Any particular sets people recommend these days? Thank you

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Funzo posted:

I’m at Adepticon and all I’m really doing is taking a handful of painting classes. Beyond the skills I’m picking up it’s been really motivating. I’m looking forward to getting home and tackling my now even larger pile of shame.
Also the Golden Demon entries are ridiculous. So many amazing models on display.

I wish I could've gone, there was a really interesting "non-iridescent iridescence" class that I saw when I was looking to see if there was anything for Warmaster, but I can't find anything about the guy running it online to see if there's a way to catch it after the con.

Have fun, though! I've heard it's great out there from friends who go regularly, so enjoy everything you can.

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team
Man, that does sound like an interesting class...

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Tiny Chalupa posted:

So, I have not painted in what feels like forever. I only have used GW paints(prior to the washes or contrast paints even existing) or PP3 paint line

I'd like to get can into painting, specifically the 30k line of Horus Heresy and Adaptus Titanicus. Going Imperial Fist reverse colour scheme. Are the contrast paints worth giving a good long look at grabbing?
In particular I'm eyeing grabbing the Speedpaint set and maybe a Vallejo set of paints to do the more finer details. I assume they are the main competition to GW lines these days.
Any particular sets people recommend these days? Thank you

By reverse Imperial Fist do you mean mostly black with some yellow trim? As for the contrast paints working well in that situation I would imagine it depends on how dark and deep you want the black to be overall. If you are fine with a lighter shade overall and a lot more grayish stuff I think the contrast paint would work well. If you want the dark black with edge highlights then I would stay away from the contrast. I did a google image search of citadel black contrast paints and was able to find a few pictures, it might be helpful to do a similar search and see how those images look to you.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

You can paint with craft paints, Goobertown Hobbies did a video on it recently.

If you like the hobby and see yourself continuing, investing in miniature paints is a good idea (I'd probably suggest starting with a skin tone and a good quality black/gray/white). But if you're just starting out, craft paints work fine. You won't wind up with perfect blends or anything, but it's doable. I actually still use a couple of craft paints for my bases because I find the chalkiness of the paint a benefit for painting rocks.

Just remember you'll want to thin craft paints with water and do multiple coats. This is a skill you'll need/want to use with mini paints too, so getting the hang of it with craft paint first is fine.

don't buy craft paints to paint your miniatures. instead buy a limited palette of acrylics designed for miniatures and then learn to mix colors. you can do a 5 color palette of artist grade acrylics and learn to thin your paint and they'll last you forever. i've been doing oils with a zorn palette lately and it's far cheaper to get a handful of base colors of nice paints and then just learn the theory.

you don't have to buy the 200 color vallejo sets but don't make the learning process difficult for yourself with craft paints

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

IncredibleIgloo posted:

By reverse Imperial Fist do you mean mostly black with some yellow trim? As for the contrast paints working well in that situation I would imagine it depends on how dark and deep you want the black to be overall. If you are fine with a lighter shade overall and a lot more grayish stuff I think the contrast paint would work well. If you want the dark black with edge highlights then I would stay away from the contrast. I did a google image search of citadel black contrast paints and was able to find a few pictures, it might be helpful to do a similar search and see how those images look to you.

Yes, that's what I meant. I don't plan to only use the contrast paint, moreso using it as a jumping off point. I'll still do additional highlighting. I have some test models to use prior to go hog wild I've never just used Army Painter or Vallejo paints but the prices and overall reviews seem positive.
Not perfect obviously, every line has some knockout colours, but still good.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Please don’t buy craft paints. It’ll make what should be a fun past time more frustrating and confusing than it has to be. If you need to, save up for 1 more week or whatever and buy miniature paints.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Yes, that's what I meant. I don't plan to only use the contrast paint, moreso using it as a jumping off point. I'll still do additional highlighting. I have some test models to use prior to go hog wild I've never just used Army Painter or Vallejo paints but the prices and overall reviews seem positive.
Not perfect obviously, every line has some knockout colours, but still good.

I have a set of Vallejo Game color and I think they are fine to use, and a good alternative to citadel. Oddly each range has some paints that are better than the similar one in the other range, but it varies as to which range has the better paint. Sometimes Citadel has a better one, sometimes Vallejo has a better one. Vallejo model color is also really good for a more desaturated range of colors as well. I use the WWII line of Vallejo colors a lot to supplement the brighter game color range.

I think Citadel has the best metallic paints. Army painter has colored metallic paints which I do have and really like, they can be a lot of fun. They are the only Army Painter paints I have, but based on them I would be willing to try more AP stuff. From what I observed it seems like the community here at large might place AP below Vallejo/Citadel.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I think Citadel has the best metallic paints.

Citadel metals are fine but cannot hold a candle to Vallejo Metal Color paints.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I will have to give them a try again. I can't seem to remember why I did not care for them the first time I used them, but it was many years ago.

*edit*

I assume you are talking about their "Metal Color" line of products as opposed to the metallic game colors? If that is the case, I have not tried them yet!

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
It's important to note that it's specifically Vallejo Metal Color, the ones that come in a much larger pot and are more expensive (~$10). Not Vallejo Model Color metal paints or any of their other lines, the naming makes things easy to confuse. The rest of their metal lines are fine, but nothing special over any of the other decent brands like Citadel, Scale 75 or Pro Acryl.

https://acrylicosvallejo.com/en/category/hobby/metal-color-en/

IncredibleIgloo posted:

*edit*

I assume you are talking about their "Metal Color" line of products as opposed to the metallic game colors? If that is the case, I have not tried them yet!

Haha, you beat me to it with the edit. Yup! That's it exactly.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
As someone who painted many a mini with craft paints back in the day, I absolutely wouldn't recommend them for mini painting in terms of trying to do layers and transitions and fine details with them, and I wouldn't recommend them for a beginner unless they're on a very restricted budget or something like that. But they do have their uses for things like basing or painting terrain, and (if you have an airbrush and know how to use it) even doing a decent basecoat with them for a squad or army that's primarily one color.

There's no one single paint range that always works 100% across the entire range, but nearly every range has some type of paint that can be useful if used correctly. Craft paint, like regular hobby paints or artist acrylics or Contrast/Speedpaints or whatever, can be a fairly useful tool in the painter's toolbox, just so long as the painter learns which paint is the correct tool for the job, and doesn't try to rely only on one tool to do everything.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I will have to give them a try again. I can't seem to remember why I did not care for them the first time I used them, but it was many years ago.

*edit*

Trying to find them right now is hard depending on what color you want. I’ve been trying to get more of the line with very little luck. Miniature Market and Game Nerdz are sold out of all but a few. Amazon has a 4 pack with a few good colors. Over the Brick has most of the grey/silver colors but no gold/orange/red.

Over the Brick probably has the best paint stock in general right now but that’s likely because they are a regional store that just happens to ship nationwide but does almost no marketing. I picked up quite a few contrast paints from them a few weeks ago that were sold out everywhere else.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Painted a Deathwatch Hellblaster from the Flesh Eaters this week and based him this evening:

Just three more to go and I'll have a full 5 man squad!

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Mar 27, 2022

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Lawlicaust posted:

Trying to find them right now is hard depending on what color you want.

I've mentioned em a few times but Fantization has almost every color in stock most of the time.

https://www.fantization.com/Metal-Color-Singles-Vallejo.aspx

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I got some of these Stargrave minis for a 5p campaign I wanna do

but now I wanna order more because they're so friggin cool

:parrot:

cleaning up the stuff on these metal minis is very satisfying and the weight is nice

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Got a bit of mini painting adjacent news. A small piece I did using mini paints - mostly TAP and Vallejo - I salvaged from the flood has been accepted for display and publication.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I got some of these Stargrave minis for a 5p campaign I wanna do

but now I wanna order more because they're so friggin cool

:parrot:

cleaning up the stuff on these metal minis is very satisfying and the weight is nice

I painted some for a friend and they were plastic. I thought stargrave was pretty new, are those older or do they do metal as well?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Harvey Mantaco posted:

I painted some for a friend and they were plastic. I thought stargrave was pretty new, are those older or do they do metal as well?

North Star Miniatures, who does the official minis for Frostgrave and Stargrave, does plastic and metal miniatures for them. They also started doing Silver Bayonet minis in metal.

My guess is they do metal minis first then move to plastic if the demand is there because metal can be done much cheaper than injection molding plastic.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Those metal figures (the "old rogues") were originally released for 'Rogue Stars', a ruleset in the 'Blue Book' series released by Osprey Games, based on the Song of Blades and Heroes ruleset. They've been repurposed for Stargrave.

After the success of the Frostgrave plastic sets, they're pretty much doing plastic stuff for whatever big release they do nowadays.

I think the issue with Silver Bayonet was the wide difference of nationalities, a whole bunch of metal figures would be cheaper to make than a whole bunch of plastic sets.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I picked up my Speedpaints yesterday and gave em a spin.

Preliminary opinion: I prefer them to contrast. Same general utility, but cheaper and in a better container.

https://twitter.com/TheGr8Aspie/status/1507930655182753800?s=20&t=-b8vy_olVMEn4MUEc1QPvw

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Owlbear Camus posted:

I picked up my Speedpaints yesterday and gave em a spin.

Preliminary opinion: I prefer them to contrast. Same general utility, but cheaper and in a better container.

https://twitter.com/TheGr8Aspie/status/1507930655182753800?s=20&t=-b8vy_olVMEn4MUEc1QPvw

I am enjoying them. Some aren't great like white and "flesh", but over all I quite like them.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
Are there plans for more speed paint colors?
I have a complete set of contrast, is it worth it to pick up speedpaints or should I wait until I run out of contrasts?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Bucnasti posted:

I have a complete set of contrast, is it worth it to pick up speedpaints or should I wait until I run out of contrasts?

I have seen/heard that they do plan to make more colors, but as for ETA I don't know.

I haven't seen anything in the reviews to make me jump out an buy speedpaints to replace contrast paints I already have.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Indolent Bastard posted:

I am enjoying them. Some aren't great like white and "flesh", but over all I quite like them.

Are you having the reactivation issue? Some of the YouTube people noted that they don't ever really dry, and even water can easily reactivate them later.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Radiation Cow posted:

Are you having the reactivation issue? Some of the YouTube people noted that they don't ever really dry, and even water can easily reactivate them later.

No. I have done minor touch ups and applied a suntan flesh reaper paint over speed paint and had no issues. Though I did let the speed paint "flesh" dry over night.

I feel you may need to ensure a long drying time for speed paints to avoid it "reactivating".

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Bucnasti posted:

If you have gaps, get those speed paints. Otherwise I'd wait.

They are great for me because I couldn't pull the trigger on contrast. The price was just too high. I did get yellow and bone and they worked great, but the cost stopped me there.

I got the smaller starter set for Speed Paints and I am liking them so far.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Bucnasti posted:

The box set that's available now is going to be supplemented by individual colors next month and some kind of mega deal.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Speed paints are different animals, they're similar to contrast paints but it's not 1:1, there're things they can't do that Contrast paints can and vice versa.

They also require an airbrush or rattlecan varnish after application if you're going to do any more painting on the mini, because any amount of moisture will reactivate them (Army Painter says that's part of their self-leveling process).

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I suspect that the reactivation allows for cool wet blending, but I've only had one night to play with them.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Brent from Goobertown Hobbies did blast one of the Speedpaint colors through an airbrush and it still pretty much performed the same as if he'd applied it with a regular brush, so if you have an airbrush and a mini that's largely one single color that you want to get done super quick with Speedpaint, that might be an option for you (just make sure you varnish it afterwards before picking out details).

Contrast paint (at least in my experience) tends to act more like a filter when applied through an airbrush, it doesn't run off the raised surfaces or anything. Which is fine if you've done a zenithal highlight, I suppose, but not so much otherwise :v:

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Brent from Goobertown Hobbies did blast one of the Speedpaint colors through an airbrush and it still pretty much performed the same as if he'd applied it with a regular brush, so if you have an airbrush and a mini that's largely one single color that you want to get done super quick with Speedpaint, that might be an option for you (just make sure you varnish it afterwards before picking out details).

Contrast paint (at least in my experience) tends to act more like a filter when applied through an airbrush, it doesn't run off the raised surfaces or anything. Which is fine if you've done a zenithal highlight, I suppose, but not so much otherwise :v:

Yeah went to watch the goobertowns speed paint video and I'm pretty convinced. Seems like a really solid route to bang out gifts for people and I was looking to buy some paint anyways

w00tmonger fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Mar 28, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Painted four big robits