Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alnilam

cda posted:

I would almost never recommend any form of book over a regular book, but the audiobook of Lincoln in the Bardo is top-tier

really! I don't usually do audiobook / talk very well but maybe I'll try

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam

vanisher posted:

My father in law had a plaque given to him, and I told him that plaque buildup is the number one cause of gingivitis

my friend whose booze i constantly mooch got a plaque from tanquerray and i told him that his plaque is the number one cause of gin invite-us!

cda

by Hand Knit
There are many different readers, including Nick Offerman, David Sedaris, Julianne Moore, Susan Sarandon, Jeff Tweedy, and George Saunders and pretty much every member of his family.

byob historian

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!
somebody in my sangha told me i should read zen teachings for audiobooks

and thats all i know about audiobooks

Starman Super DX

This title text is surprisingly sturdy.

cda posted:

There are many different readers, including Nick Offerman, David Sedaris, Julianne Moore, Susan Sarandon, Jeff Tweedy, and George Saunders and pretty much every member of his family.

Jullianne Moore reads in a Boston accent, right?

Tell me more!
btw ty Birdcon for the sweet spring sig

drilldo squirt

a beautiful, soft meat sack

cda posted:

I only listen to books read by Leonard Simon Nimoy.

----------------

beer pal

how com ethe pictures rotate. is there a button to turn it off?

https://i.imgur.com/xQxnooW.png

Elusif

No, negative

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

beer pal posted:

what are you talking about

punchymcpunch

vanisher posted:

My father in law had a plaque given to him, and I told him that plaque buildup is the number one cause of gingivitis

wow i havent seen a buzzkill like this since skeletor told beastman to shoot down prince beeman's jet

Koishi Komeiji

beer pal posted:

how com ethe pictures rotate.

It's some stupid stale gimmick that got old months ago.

beer pal posted:

is there a button to turn it off?

Buddy, if there was a button to turn it off I would be mashing that sucker like the dodge roll button in Dark Souls.

punchymcpunch

beer pal posted:

i dont know but i hope not

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Koishi Komeiji posted:

It's some stupid stale gimmick that got old months ago.

Buddy, if there was a button to turn it off I would be mashing that sucker like the dodge roll button in Dark Souls.

ya but i'd stagger u like that headstone mace in bloodborne bc the rotation of the pictures is set to maximize chill ok

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

i bought a ps4 just so i could play bloodborne on my projector and pals, it was a worthwhile investment just so i could indiscriminately murder until i got the YOU DIED screen 800 times a day.

ShinyBirdTeeth

sparkle sparkle sparkle

beer pal posted:

That is part of the main Something Awful CSS file, specifically this line:

.forum_268 img{-webkit-animation:spin 9000s linear infinite;-moz-animation:spin 9000s linear infinite;animation:spin 9000s linear infinite;}@-moz-keyframes spin{100%{-moz-transform:rotate(360deg);}}@-webkit-keyframes spin{100%{-webkit-transform:rotate(360deg);}}@keyframes spin{100%{-webkit-transform:rotate(360deg);transform:rotate(360deg);}}@-webkit-keyframes

That's selecting class .forum_268, i.e. our beloved BYOB, and then giving images an instruction to spin forever.

It is unfortunate that this is in the main CSS file, since we can't just block that file like we can the BYOB CSS file.

sb hermit

hamjobs posted:

i bought a ps4 just so i could play bloodborne on my projector and pals, it was a worthwhile investment just so i could indiscriminately murder until i got the YOU DIED screen 800 times a day.

I haven’t gotten any of the new consoles, and probably won’t bother until my last ps3 dies (which hopefully won’t be awhile).

By then, I hope the PS4 and PSVR will be like $200 together and I can virtually shitpost in cyberspace like that one hacking scene in Jurrasic Park

Koishi Komeiji

hamjobs posted:

ya but i'd stagger u like that headstone mace in bloodborne bc the rotation of the pictures is set to maximize chill ok

Getting stunlocked in a video game and having people's sigs covering up their text, two things that are very chill imho.

cda

by Hand Knit
Tho I personally like the r otating images, I am posting in support of my posting pals who think it's time for them to go.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

alnilam

hmm tbh I've heard more complaints than praises about the rotatig images lately including from people in other forums who say they would visit byob more if not for the rotating

Let me deliberate on this a lil with duckie and some admins, ideally i wish we could find a good way to make it toggleable without blocking the entire byob stylesheet, but idk if the website's unpaid volunteer admins have the time to do that and wouldn't blame them if they didn't

cda

by Hand Knit
For many years, I had to tape my computer screen to a potters wheel, and I am prepared to return to doing that, if it will make my comrades happy

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

alnilam

Personally I enjoy them too but i wouldn't really mind that much if they were gone either and they clearly annoy some ppl / cause computer issues for some ppl

Putty

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

Koishi Komeiji posted:

Buddy, if there was a button to turn it off I would be mashing that sucker like the dodge roll button in Dark Souls 3.

FIXED that FOR you

Robot Made of Meat

I like the rotating images, and would miss them. It's a fun little feature of our fun little forum.

But if everybody hates them, I guess I could live without them.

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Putty posted:

FIXED that FOR you

friend im gonna fite u

bc ds2 was clearly the best ds game

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

feeling mighty unchill about the plethora of dark souls opinions that are VERY WRONG itt

BoldFrankensteinMir

I also like the rotating and have impressed art nerds by showing them our art threads.

"Is the gallery... tilting??"
"Yes it's a little CSS trick, these guys are old-school web"
"Woowwwwww..."

But other than that it doesn't serve much purpose and I can see it getting annoying. So I'm down with ditching it (for something new).

Starman Super DX

This title text is surprisingly sturdy.

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

(for something new)

periodically swapping quote and edit

Tell me more!
btw ty Birdcon for the sweet spring sig

Robot Made of Meat

Are those who don't like the rotating images more likely to be using a computer or a phone, and would that make some difference?

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

my family history includes a lot of rotating images and this place makes me feel like home

also a toggle button would be ace

ShinyBirdTeeth

sparkle sparkle sparkle
OK i got a little carried away, but install Tampermonkey and then install this script https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/37580-stop-spinning

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

ShinyBirdTeeth posted:

OK i got a little carried away, but install Tampermonkey and then install this script https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/37580-stop-spinning

you're a real good egg, sbeet. :love: thank you

BoldFrankensteinMir

Aww yeah SBT with the work-around. Nothin' but net.

Manifisto

imo there should be probes (bans?) for advocating changing the spinny thing or the byob theme

people can still talk about it, but it should have to be done in a newspeak/doublespeak way:

"how can I be sure that someone hasn't disabled spinning images on my browser? how, specifically, would a miscreant do such a thing?"

also people who say they have sigs off should have their account modified so it always shows sigs

for repeat offenders, their account should only show sigs

ty nesamdoom!

alnilam

Thanks for the work around!!

I've seen enough complaints from out of forum that I'm still considering asking for them to be turned off or how easy a toggle would be to implement. it's sad to think people who might want to be our posting pal feel kept away by the rotating, and it's a little much to tell them "well to browse byob you could install this browser extension and then..."

what do yinz think

Robot Made of Meat

If spinny images keep them away, do we really want them?

alnilam

Manifisto posted:

imo there should be probes (bans?) for advocating changing the spinny thing or the byob theme

people can still talk about it, but it should have to be done in a newspeak/doublespeak way:

"how can I be sure that someone hasn't disabled spinning images on my browser? how, specifically, would a miscreant do such a thing?"

also people who say they have sigs off should have their account modified so it always shows sigs

for repeat offenders, their account should only show sigs

punishment for speaking ill of the rotating images is
1st offense: everything on your computer spins (computer virus?)
2nd offense: everything in the world spins (regular virus??)

ShinyBirdTeeth

sparkle sparkle sparkle
I'm not personally keen on it, but then again I'm a licensed fun-hater.

I don't think it is too big of a deal, but if someone could get around to implementing a toggle or what have you, then that sounds like a good idea.

And, I agree the workaround is suitable for user, but not visitors.

alnilam

Robot Made of Meat posted:

If spinny images keep them away, do we really want them?

What Would Mr Rogers Do

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

alnilam posted:

punishment for speaking ill of the rotating images is
1st offense: everything on your computer spins (computer virus?)
2nd offense: everything in the world spins (regular virus??)

3rd offense: Skeleton Zone on repeat for 400 years on Sennheiser Noise-Cancelling Headphones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

byob historian

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

alnilam posted:

What Would Mr Rogers Do

he always went around the house didnt he :thunk: